PDA

View Full Version : Just a little PSA

Amanda Rockwell
04-05-2008, 07:35 PM
If your 3 yr old feeds your 10 yr old, 85lb lab mix a whole package of Fudge grasshoppers she will live! So no need to cry or worry LOL. UGH
Day 2 and still no symptoms of anything being wrong.

I just thought some of you would get a little laugh out of this and know if it ever happens to you, it will be ok! LOL

Melissa Bennett (lissab)
04-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Oh my gosh, I would have been freakin!!!!! Glad your dog is okay.

MommySpice
04-05-2008, 07:41 PM
yeah, labs seem to be able to eat anything. Our 9 month old will eat anything she can get her mouth on...we've even found half-eaten dvds...how she got them, we'll never know! Crazy scary, and I think we finally have fil convinced that she can NOT be left alone for even a second. *lol*

Amanda Rockwell
04-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Oh I know! Labs chew and chew LOL. I can't even begin to count the many things she's eaten. At least 2 couches. We've had her since she was 8 wks old and she was nothing but trouble the first 4 years. She's a great dog though and worth everything she's destroyed LOL.

MommySpice
04-05-2008, 07:46 PM
yes, we feel the same about Rory...she is sooooo great with kids, and the sweetest puppy ever. When she's around people, she's fine. Its when she gets "abandoned" that she's not happy. *lol*

WendyPage
04-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Oh my goodness..............glad she's doing good so far! Labs eat some crazy stuff---one of our patients many years ago ate an entire cassette tape--ya ever see the long strings of tape along the highways?? Yeah.

Dielle
04-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Wow, glad she's ok. Labs must have stomachs of iron. My girlfriends dog (a random mix, not a lab) almost died last year from eating a chocolate bar. It was really touch and go for awhile and I think the vet even pumped his stomach.

Amanda Rockwell
04-05-2008, 08:24 PM
That's what I was afraid of! I called the vet and ended up in tears after I got off the phone. Thankfully she is completely fine!
I mean, I've had her for 10 years! That's a long time and I love her. I can't imagine our family without her. I know that dogs don't live long relatively speaking, but to lose her to chocolate? LOL no thanks!

I'm glad your friend's dog made it through.

DoodleLT (Trivette's Designs)
04-05-2008, 08:31 PM
we have a min pin (a small dog) and he got up on my desk while we were gone and ate a half bag of Hershey Kisses. He is still alive, did not even get sick at all.

Jill D-Zines
04-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Wow - that would have been scarey! I'm so worried that someday our cockapoo is going to eat something that will really hurt her. She will eat ANY. THING. Pencils and pens, playing cards, my Wacom pen (GRrrrrr!!!:mad ) clothespins, earplugs (and boy the first time I saw her poop out a neon green earplug I nearly flipped until I figured out what it was!! :eek ROFL!! :lol) One day I was taking her for a walk and she happened to find the remains of a dead squirrel (and she got to it before I could pull her leash in!) :eek EEEEEEEEyyyyeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww!!! :p I had to fight her for it and pull it out of her mouth!! (with my bare hands!) Gagging the whole time! I'm sure the neighbors had a great laugh! :shrug :lol

Glad your dog is okay! :yup

Inkspots
04-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Glad she's ok. Our lab, long ago, had it out for us--she was given to us as the previous owner couldn't keep her any more. Anyway, she ATE my dad's cowboy hat, it took them awhile to figure out what the black fuzz around the house was. She also put holes in his boots and snacked on records and books. We named her Lucy, but it turned out to be Lucifer.

Amanda Rockwell
04-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Oh I would have had a great laugh at that too, but only because I would have been gagging AND screaming like a little girl LOL.

Wow half a bag of hershey kisses!! LOL I bet that was some mess. I'm glad your little peanut dog was ok. I love min pins!

Amanda Rockwell
04-05-2008, 08:41 PM
LOL lucifer. Labs are great family dogs but those first years can be rough!

Sherri Tierney
04-05-2008, 08:46 PM
One of our dogs (a rhodesian ridgeback) ate half a bag of ice melt. We freaked out when we found bloody stool and rushed him to the vet. Turned out he didn't have internal bleeding or anything, it was the salt tearing his bottom as it came back out. That dog was nuts though, absolutely nuts!

The dog we have now had a major chewing problem the first 8 months or so we had her. We've only had her 10 months so I'm not even sure the chewing phase is over. The strangest things she ate was an entire coat rack (the wooden hall tree type). Oh, she did try to eat the turtle the other day, carried it around in her mouth for a while before we wrestled it away from her.

CraftTeaLady
04-05-2008, 08:47 PM
The chocolate that is bad for dogs is the cocoa, not milk - milk is mixed w/ stuff, its the real deal stuff that gives them problems.

Stephanie Ogren
04-05-2008, 09:16 PM
My dog eats whatever he feels like (and yes, he's a Lab too). He's taken entire bags of candy, cortisone cream, cat poop, wood chips. He's fine and perfectly healthy. It's really weird. But he's a weird dog.

danger girl
04-05-2008, 09:31 PM
That seems like such a waste of perfectly good Fudge Grasshoppers. Glad your dog is ok.

iscraptoo
04-05-2008, 09:33 PM
I had a dog once that LOVED plain M&Ms. It didn't matter where you were in the house, and even if you tried to be really quiet when you opened the bag, he would be right there. He lived to be 15 years old. The vet said he lived 2 to 3 years past his normal life expectancy for that type of dog. (He was an American Eskimo) We credit that to his M&M's.:lol

drgnldy
04-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Two of my dogs could probably eat a whole chocolate cake & be fine. the other one though will be puking all over the house if she eats a single M&M. She loves chocolate too so we have to be careful to make sure she doesn't get into of any

scribler
04-06-2008, 02:42 AM
Oh I know! Labs chew and chew LOL. I can't even begin to count the many things she's eaten. At least 2 couches. We've had her since she was 8 wks old and she was nothing but trouble the first 4 years. She's a great dog though and worth everything she's destroyed LOL.

I'm glad to know I am not the only one whose couch has been destroyed by dogs. lol

newfiemountiewife
04-06-2008, 02:49 AM
Our old dog ate a full hollow egg, with the WRAPPED candies inside. I went out in the living room the entire thing was gone, aside from the box! He survived also, not sure about all the foil he had eaten. Darn dogs! LOL

Glad he's ok!

sprauncey1
04-06-2008, 03:57 AM
Yep our beagle ate three bowls of M&Ms when I was out of the house talking to our neighbor for a minute. I called the vet and he said to watch him but he'd probably just get sick and it would be fine since it is milk chocolate and not something like baker's chocolate. So yeah he spent the afternoon outside!

Oh and don't get me started on his "snacking" in the litter box!! EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW!

clogs1228
04-06-2008, 05:17 AM
One of our dogs (a rhodesian ridgeback) ate half a bag of ice melt. We freaked out when we found bloody stool and rushed him to the vet. Turned out he didn't have internal bleeding or anything, it was the salt tearing his bottom as it came back out. That dog was nuts though, absolutely nuts!

The dog we have now had a major chewing problem the first 8 months or so we had her. We've only had her 10 months so I'm not even sure the chewing phase is over. The strangest things she ate was an entire coat rack (the wooden hall tree type). Oh, she did try to eat the turtle the other day, carried it around in her mouth for a while before we wrestled it away from her.

I can relate! We had a part Shar Pei part Rhodesian Ridgeback that we had to get rid of recently due to aggression but that dog was a chewing machine!! He was a year old and still going strong on the chewing! We went through about 6 phone books, 4 or 5 remotes, a pair of glasses (were still covered under warranty, phew!), countless paperback, shoes, rugs, oh my gosh we could have no rugs in our house! He went after ANYTHING and EVERYTHING at his level, we blocked all the bookcases, kept doors closed, had to take out a doggie door because he would steal my crafting supplies and run out into the back yard, glitter everywhere, even in the poo!

Now we have two lab mixes, one 3 months old and one a year and both are not aggressive chewers, ummm whoops just caught the baby chewing up a tea light! :lol Well so far he has only chewed up two things and those were are fault. The older one has only chewed up things she thought were toys since the chewing machine got them first and the other assumed if Buster chewed them then they were toys.

Edited to add: The funniest thing Buster chewed up was children's book called "Bad Dog Marley" and the front cover looked like a dog had chewed on it but ours was that plus real chewing! There is an grown up book that is about that dog called Marley and Me, I was reading parts and I could relate so well because it was Buster!

Di Hickman
04-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Yup Milk chocolate dogs can actually eat a lot of before they get sick (don't ask me how I know! eyeroll)
Its DARK chocolate you have to be careful!
There is a sheet on the wall of our vets, for our dogs (50lb dalmatians) they can eat:
1.6lb of milk chocolate
1.3 oz of dark chocolate (so this is the one to watch!!!)

before they'll get sick

I dunno about you but I'd be sick on 1.6lb of milk choc too!

Pamela Gibson
04-06-2008, 09:08 AM
our dog does this too. He ate a half box of belgian chocolate truffles and had no symptoms. He ate an entire giant box of Maltesers, again, no symptoms. He ate an entire KFC Bucket of chicken bones, no harm done at all. I swear this dog has a stomach of steel. He's a parson russell terrier by the way. Weighs about 21lbs. As soon as i give my name to the after hours vet line they automatically ask "what has he eaten now??"

shan22
04-06-2008, 12:32 PM
Glad you doggy is ok! My grandma made me some home med fudge one time and our little dog (no longer with us) ate the whole thing. It was about a 1/2 lb of fudge I bet. It was all wrapped up in foil and I went to get myself a piece and every bit of it was gone. I thought my DH had eaten it and I was yelling at him for eating all the fudge which we later figured out had to have been the dog since neither of us had eaten it. LOL she even wrapped it back up. Lucky for her it did not make her sick I would not have even know what was wrong with her. We also had 3 outside dogs who thought they were birds. We had to move the bird feeder because they would eat so much bird seed they would make them selves sick.

lyndsaymel
04-06-2008, 01:13 PM
My FIL's boston terrier will eat ANYTHING as long as it's people food. She is like 16 years old and wont eat dog food anymore, so he has to COOK her food. And if you open candy ANYWHERE within 100 yards of the house, you have to share with her or she'll follow you around barking at you.

He has the fountain of youth on his property. horse lived to be 37, dog is 16, cat is 17 or 18. :shrug

Inkspots
04-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Our old dog ate a full hollow egg, with the WRAPPED candies inside. I went out in the living room the entire thing was gone, aside from the box! He survived also, not sure about all the foil he had eaten. Darn dogs! LOL

Glad he's ok!

This reminds me of the dog DH had as a child. I want to say it was a terrier of some sort, but it learned to take the wrappers off of kisses! The got up one Christmas and found nothing but foil wrappers around the tree.

~Julie~
04-06-2008, 04:02 PM
LOL.. Im glad he is ok :)

Thena
04-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Our little one year old shih tzu is a chewer! Nothing is safe from her.

TaraLyn
04-06-2008, 04:57 PM
ROTF....

I asked the vet one time about the chocolate thing. I really can kill them (or at the least, make them very ill). But, it's a sensitivity thing. It all depends on how sensitive your pup is. This relates to size, weight, etc.....even the individual dog itself.

Last Easter our 8 y.o. Chesapeake Bay Retr. ate an entire bag of foil wrapped chocolates. This year he got DD's Easter basket. Thankfully, I didn't have much candy in it.

We do try to keep it away from him though. Believe it or not. :lol

onescrappymom
04-06-2008, 05:26 PM
I am glad that he's okay Amanda...

I did chuckle reading this thread though, expecially on the Terriers. We have a 2 year old Cairn Terrier and he's a holy terror with eating food. Anything he can find... And I have a toddler that LOVES "sharing" with him so he's tried alot of goodies, including chocolate. As much as I try to keep these things away from him, he still manages to get some!!

Amanda Rockwell
04-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks girls! Glad to know I'm not the only one who's kids feed their dog anything and who's dogs get into everything! LOL

Luckily for her she spends most of her time outside unless it's too hot, too cold or at night. She has a big bed she sleeps in on the washroom floor.
If she was in the house 24/7 we would have had many more "chocolate scares".

Trina
04-06-2008, 06:36 PM
We have a good friend whose wife used to be a vet tech (thankfully), so a quick phone call has saved several emergency trips to the vet!

My Cocker spaniel, right after we got him, chewed through a WRAPPED (cellophane) box of chocolate-covered cherries and ate every one of them! Ick! It was a Christmas present for my mom--but she got quite a laugh out of the story.

I REALLY wish our dogs would lose their appetite for...um...fresh pig poop...

thirtytinytoes
04-06-2008, 06:52 PM
at least your 3 year old shares!! HAHA

Laura M
04-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Whew! I am glad the doggy is doing well. There's no telling what our Cocker Spaniel gets to eat, but its good because she is slightly over 50 pounds! LOL!

Pamela Gibson
04-07-2008, 04:45 AM
I am glad that he's okay Amanda...

I did chuckle reading this thread though, expecially on the Terriers. We have a 2 year old Cairn Terrier and he's a holy terror with eating food. Anything he can find... And I have a toddler that LOVES "sharing" with him so he's tried alot of goodies, including chocolate. As much as I try to keep these things away from him, he still manages to get some!!

my cairn will eat a lot but she is especially fond of pancakes with syrup, cereal and milk, and popcorn. My parson russell tries to eat anything and everything, he tries his best to eat lettuce but physically can not eat it, it just keeps falling out of his mouth. lol. the only things he doesnt like are green beans and raw carrots (he likes them cooked). lol

Rachel Martin
04-07-2008, 06:26 AM
how crazy!