PDA

View Full Version : Mac people, talk to me, please. :)

Natalie
03-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Our PC is acting up - I've had the blue screen (and subsequent "no bootable drive") problems several times over the last few days. I thought we'd manage to get by for another year, but I hate not knowing what might happen.

We had some adware/malware issues, so dh has about 3 different programs monitoring (including Macafee, which we have always had) things, so I don't know if it's the combination of too much stuff going on in the background, or if its the fact that we have less than 10 Gb of space left, or if something else is wonking out on us, but ...I'm looking for a replacement. It might not happen in the next few days or weeks, but I suspect we're on the hook for replacing this PC soon-ish.

My problem? There's no way I can afford to buy a Mac version of Photoshop, so that's probably my biggest obstacle. I LOVE the all-in-one sleekness of the iMacs, and as I'm not especially keen on a laptop as our main computer, I think this might be a good choice for us.

Also, most all my friends use Windows, so we occasionally (infrequently) share excel and doc files. How hard would this be to share, if I were to switch over? Would I be able to share a file with them. More importantly, since we have a PC laptop, and dh uses PCs at work, how difficult would it be to get these things to share files amongst them?

Before we make the jump, has anyone gone from PC to Mac, and regretted the decision? Or any other Mac-to-Pc/PC-to-Mac variation, and loved/regretted the leap?

I'm especially liking the 24-inch iMac (the cheapest configuration of those), with a hard drive upgrade (and wireless mouse and keyboard upgrades).

Any advice? Cautionary tales? Suggestions for work-arounds? Thanks!

wendyzine
03-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Keep in mind that you do not need to pay for a new version of Photoshop. As long as you plan to uninstall from the PC, Adobe will switch your license over.

I have only heard of one person who has switched from PC to Mac and not been instantly in love with it. But, once she adjusted, she was happy with it too.

You can easily swap DOC and XLS files, though sometimes fonts will cause reflow between the systems. Another option for you is to get Fusion or Parallels which will allow you to install windows on your Mac. I went with Fusion after reading the reviews and I've never had a problem with it. But, that does open you up to viruses, etc. so maybe you don't want to go that way?

Natalie
03-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Keep in mind that you do not need to pay for a new version of Photoshop. As long as you plan to uninstall from the PC, Adobe will switch your license over.

This is great news! What a relief.

Now...to decide if now is the best time. We really hadn't factored in the cost of a new computer this year, so that's problematic.

I'm wondering, if we reformat our current PC, and hand over the basic stuff (the OS and manuals), if we could sell it on Craiglist. The monitor is pretty decent (20" flat panel), so the whole deal might get us a couple hundred.

I'm ready to do it...I think. :)

Nettio
03-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Do it! I switched from a PC to a Mac about a year ago and I haven't regretted the switch once. It does have a learning curve so it was frustrating in the beginning but now I hate having to use our PCs. I really recommend getting The Missing Manual: Switching to the Mac - it's a great book that explains all the ins and outs of how to switch, where to find things on the Mac, what's different, etc.

As far as networking them, I can see files on my DH's PC just fine. I basically have a permanent link on my desktop that allows me to easily connect. As far as Word and Excel files, I haven't had any problems with sharing them. I use a free program called NeoOffice rather than Microsoft Word and it has the option to save in excel or word format should you need to send files back and forth.

For Photoshop, you can do a platform switch by contacting Adobe support. I believe you have to have the most recent version though, so if you don't have CS4 already, you would need to pay to upgrade in order to switch. You'll also be giving up your PC license so if you want a copy to remain on your PC, you'd need to buy an entire new copy. Here is the link from the Adobe website: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405819&sliceId=2#noteone

Like I said, it's been a year and I don't think I'll ever go back to a PC. Now if I could just convince my DH to switch we'd be all set, haha.

Kathy Moore
03-20-2009, 06:04 PM

Be aware, though, that you have to be running the current version of Photoshop to qualify for a cross-platform exchange.

I am also a Mac lover....I have two on my desk right now and love them both. I had a little learning curve, but it was short and the payoff was great. I wouldn't even consider going back to a PC.

ETA: Oops, I see Lynnette already mentioned the current version thing :) .

Natalie
03-20-2009, 06:55 PM
...and of course, I'm not running the current version. (((sigh)))

OTOH, the BSOD showed up again, so something has to happen soon...

Thanks for the info, ladies.

4guysandme
03-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Adobe will switch your license so long as you have a current version, otherwise it is the cost of the upgrade. Hence, I am still running CS2 IN Win XP via VM Fusion. Works just fine. I could use more RAM (I have 2 gig, only 1 gig allocated for Windows), but it works just fine. DH wants to get me CS4, but until we can afford it this will have to be enough.

I have a virus scanner running on my windows partition and I let it run when it runs even if it is slowing down and cramping my photoshop usage. To date I have not gotten a virus, but I do not use my windows partition to surf the web very often, even if I need to download something I do it on the mac partition. I am using AVG. Trend Micro is one that I've heard great reviews on (but not free) and DH just switched that it from AVG.

I use NeoOffice and have it set to save in Word and Excel formats by default. You can even use change tracking and whatnot. I've only had formatting issues with Power Point and I think it was a font issue.

Scorpiosue1102
03-21-2009, 07:34 AM
I switched to a Mac last year and it was the best decision I made. It took just a bit of time to get used to it, but all the stuff that comes with the Mac makes it worth it.

scrapyardkath
03-21-2009, 08:15 AM
If you like your monitor, and depending on it's connector type, you can get a Mac Mini or Powermac and use your existing monitor. And I have a DigiScrapMac Blog if you want to scroll through it.

danger girl
03-21-2009, 08:32 AM
If you do get the minimum configuration of iMac, you'll probably want to upgrade the RAM. It's much cheaper to do it yourself, and it is ridiculously easy. For me the toughest part was clearing off a spot to turn my iMac upside-down. Oh and finding a screwdriver. That's always a problem here.

Natalie
03-21-2009, 08:55 AM
If you do get the minimum configuration of iMac, you'll probably want to upgrade the RAM. It's much cheaper to do it yourself, and it is ridiculously easy. For me the toughest part was clearing off a spot to turn my iMac upside-down. Oh and finding a screwdriver. That's always a problem here.

The Mac we were considering has 4Gb of RAM - is that enough?

4guysandme
03-21-2009, 09:06 AM
4 gig of ram is more than sufficient.

jflynn
03-21-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm a convert to Mac as of April 2007 and I would never go back. I love Macs and love how easy they are to use and maintain. Updates and all that are so easy to do. You don't have all that virus worry and Firefox works great on the Mac. I have all my backups with Mozy for Mac online too. Yes there is a steep learning curve but things like the aforementioned book and google searches got me through all my stuck moments. If you can learn Photoshop, this will be a piece of cake. The new Macs also have iLife '09 which contains iPhoto '09 with the face recognition software. You can sort your photo library based on a person and the software does it for you. So cool.

Good luck!