View Full Version : What can I do for a bee sting??
05-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Yesterday I got stung by a bee on the bottom of my toe while walking on the beach. I have not been stung by a bee in 20 years! In the past, I never had any kind of reaction, but this time half my foot is seriously swollen!!! I can't really walk on it, or move my toes, or anything. It is hurting pretty badly, but not spreading anymore.
Does anyone know of anything I can do besides ice to help? I cannot take Benadryl because it makes my RLS unbearable. I put some cortisone cream on it, but it isn't helping.
I did pull the stinger out, and am fairly certain I got all of it. I didn't see a black dot where it was after I pulled it out, but I was on the beach, so there was a lot of sand on my foot as well, making it hard to see.
I feel so STUPID being diasbled for the day from a stupid bee sting!!! I don't remember this being so painful when I was a child!!
Any recommendations? Any idea how long the swelling will stick around?
05-05-2009, 09:14 AM
are there any other anti-histamines you can take without causing your rls to act up? You may want to call your doctor if the swelling is severe but subsiding now...just in case you have now developed an allergic reaction to bee stings. If you have, the next reaction could be much more severe.
I hope your feeling better soon!
05-05-2009, 09:17 AM
I cannot take any anti-histamines, no. :(
I think you are right, though. I will have to find a local Dr. now that we are settled here, and one of the things I should mention is this sting. This is by far worse than any bee sting I have ever had! I never had any swelling as a child with stings, and today my foot is so swollen I can't move half my toes and I can't walk on it!!
05-05-2009, 09:30 AM
What about just topical hydrocortizone cream? It's what I use for me and the kids. If not what about that spray numbing antibacterial stuff? I would check and make sure the stinger is out too. Scrape it with a bank or credit type card sideways. I had a wasp get me on the chest that had crawled into a pile of laundry last month and it was miserable. Doctor told me if you have a reaction each sting will get worse so definately something for you to bring up next time you get a chance to see a doctor.
Don't think I am crazy.....try Adolph's Meat Tenderizer. It draws the poison out. Dampen your toe and shake it on. I don't know if it will still help after this long.
05-05-2009, 12:05 PM
And ice. Hugs. That's gotta hurt.
05-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Witchhazel is excellent for getting rid of itch and swelling, and it's natural. I use it for bites, and stings.
05-05-2009, 12:41 PM
from a mom of 4 and a bee magnet boy..
baking soda and water, make a paste and apply...let dry...if the stinger is in there try to remove with a piece of tape and pull!
if you continue to swell, go to the doctor immediately!
05-05-2009, 12:54 PM
I totally forgot about the baking soda trick! You can also use mud in a pinch. Did that once for a red ant sting.
05-05-2009, 01:05 PM
If you happen to be a smoker, or know someone who is, make a poultice out of tobacco and water and put it on the sting - worked wonders when my dd got stung, although wouldn't have a clue as to why it worked!
05-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks ladies! I tried the baking soda thing, and it seemed to help while I was sitting there, but the second I get up and try to walk, my foot starts swelling and hurting again!
Uhg, I hope this goes down by tomorrow, I am not getting much done today due to the pain when I walk!!
I guess I should consider myself to have a slight allergy to bees now, and also I should be thankful it didn't sting near my face!! My last bee sting was when i was 7ish, and was INSIDE my ear! But it didn't swell back then...
05-05-2009, 01:56 PM
I second the meat tenderizer. Baking soda would be my second choice.
Hope you are doing better.
05-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Roll on deodorant works too (don't laugh!). We discovered this the hard way when my folks, little sister and I went camping years ago....the dog was first on the trail, walked over a ground nest of bees, who went after US (not her). We all got pretty badly stung, about 10 hours from civilization, and my parents (aka the RN and the Histotech/lab tech) hadn't packed much of a first aid kit...but we DID have deodorant (I think we used Ban LOL) and it really did work on the itching and the swelling.
I am allergic to mosquito bites so I have to carry Benadryl when camping (the last time I got more than 3 bites, my left hand started to swell to the point where I had to take my rings off).
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.