PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Day Disasters...

Julie
11-23-2006, 04:12 AM
what are your's for today?

I just went to pop the pumpkin pies in the oven, burned my knuckle and spilled pumpkin pie filling all over the oven. Now everything has come to a halt while we wait for the oven to cool so I can clean up my mess! Hopefully it's the only mishap of the day!

Laurabelle
11-23-2006, 04:17 AM
awe and so early julie! poor thing!

I baked my pumpkin pie last night and burnt it to a crisp. It's off to the store early to get replacement ingrediants LOL

andyapc
11-23-2006, 04:24 AM
so far, nothing. however, it's only 8:30 am here so I've got plenty of time to screw something up! :lol

Laurabelle
11-23-2006, 05:17 AM
lol andy!

kygirl
11-23-2006, 05:37 AM
I tried moving the pie plate I had just removed from the oven with my bare hands. Ouch!

Hope your day gets better.

Cori
11-23-2006, 06:24 AM
i made a butter pecan cake last night and forgot to spray my pan so the cake broke up when I was taking it out of the pan. No problem... I'll just make a crumb cake, right?

While I was letting the cake cool my 18 month old daughter pulled it into the floor. I did get so good pics of her licking the cake out of the floor. LOL

Digital Ink
11-23-2006, 07:23 AM
Well I didn't have a misshap but DD had an allergic reaction to augmentin and broke out in a rash from head to toe and has moved onto vomitting. Looks like we will be heading to the hospital as she can't keep anything down. She will be dehydrated soon. So we had to cancel. Last year she was in the hospital for Christmas. Her birthday was just two days ago and she has had such a horrible week. I feel so bad and helpless.

Tommys Mommy
11-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Not this year, but my first Thanksgiving when I just got married and moved away from home (cross country). I was cooking and did everything pretty good except the gravy. I kinda winged it like everything else and did it as I recalled mom or gramma doing. Gravy...hhmmmm they just used flour and water in a shaker and poured it in a pan. OH MY there is so much more to it. When it was done I thought to myself "this doesn't look right" I flipped the pan upside down and shook it. Plop out the gravy came in one big blog the exact shape of the pan. I swear it was like a jello-mold LOL. We still joke about it all the time. Needless to say my mom bought me a big betty crocker cookbook for Xmas.

Karen B
11-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Miss Pix, I hope your daughter feels better soon and that it's not serious.

I told my mother in law I would bring a side dish in addition to a dessert. She'd told me what she was cooking. I came across a recipe for oven roasted potatoes that I thought I could make in my electric roaster and not tie up the oven, but when I told her, she reminded me she was already making mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes. Um, yep! Got enough potatoes! And I bought a 10 pound sack of them. There's only 3 of us at my house and the youngest doesn't like potatoes except tater tots and fries!

juliebee70
11-23-2006, 09:28 AM
This year my baster had a crack in it, so it wouldn't suck up the juices... so I was off to the store to buy another! Thank goodness the store is open until 4pm.

4 years ago, my oven BROKE while cooking the turkey and the oven wouldn't stay hot. :( That was a bummer! Also, that same day, it was pouring rain and our sliding glass door sprung a leak and we had a waterfall INSIDE our house. THat was awful! So, by the end of the weekend we had spent about $1000 on repairs to the door and a new oven. That was horrible.

Kim Higueria
11-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Well when I woke up this morning I found out that my 18 month old niece, 18 year old sister and dad had all gotten sick in the middle of the night. luckily DH, DS and me haven't gotten sick at all yet. I think its the stomach flu. We were going to postpone thanksgiving until later in the week, but we decided to go ahead with it and at least make turkey. We'll probably have sweet potatoes, green bean casserole etc later in the week.

Karen B
11-23-2006, 03:47 PM
I only added half the butter I was supposed to to the crumb crust on the layered pumpkin cheesecake bars I made, so the crumb crust is just crumbs, no crust.

Julie
11-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Miss Pix I hope you're little one is feeling better, poor thing!

Kazadoodle
11-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Miss Pix, I hope your little one is feeling better soon

To eveyrone else, I hope you all have a wonderful day, despite your disasters.

Digital Ink
11-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the well wishes! It has now been 13 hours since it started and she is still throwing up and we spent over 6 hours at the hospital. Guess its just from the allergic reaction to the augmentin. It has slowed quite a bit but still feels quick icky. Thanks again.

Melissa

Rhoda Jayne
11-23-2006, 04:50 PM
I didn't have disasters today but it seems like my family has had several funny mishaps during the Thanksgiving holidays.
1. My paperbag turkey
2. My sweet potatoes-I poured 1/2 a bottle of cinnamon oil in them & they were too hot to eat.
3. My dad forgot to add sugar to his lemon pie.
4. My aunt's friend made dressing & it was so hard it bent the spoon

Luckily these didn't all happen during the same meal~
Rhoda

ACE's Wild
11-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Ok, mine was bringing to twins over to g'ma & g'pa's house without giving them something to eat before. :duh So, they were hungry & g'ma wasn't ready with the food right then and there. I should have known better. They are not really all that great on table foods yet. :duh

Christine Borgfeld
11-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Well mine was pretty good in comparison! All I had were lumpy potatoes. Hope you ladies all get those little ones well soon.

catgrrl
11-23-2006, 06:13 PM
My disasters: pie crust didn't turn out well (as usual) and daughter (13 mo) got sick right after dinner. She has now been through 4 outfits, I've been through 1 and DH through 3.

In a past life (High School), dad was responsible for the turkey one year as mom had to work during the day. He couldn't find twine/string to tie the turkey legs together, so used rubber-bands. We didn't eat much of that rubber-band tasting turkey....