PDA

View Full Version : International Costumers - Suggestion to the stores

OrianaVianey
11-23-2006, 07:29 AM
This is special for the designers and store owners... ppl, you have to think outside the box now and then... not everything works at the American way, you know?

For example...
1. Did you know that MANY Countries don't use zip codes? That is always a required field in the shopping profiles. I always use my area code phone number, but it really don't mean anything...

2. Not all telephone numbers have 10 digits. My Phone numbers are only 7 and always show the message "this field must be at least 10 characters" so I always fill the other 3 numbers with 0 (zero) or 1 (one).

3. A lot of International telephone carriers don't accept "toll free" calls. So calling a 1-800-number for customer service is not always free (at least is not for me) and many times is more expensive that the complain.

4. Pay Pal is not the all mighty shopping proccesor. Actually Pay Pal doesn't allowed transactions of several Countries (either banking nor Credit Cards), so is always nice find options.

I know this sound like whining... and maybe I am, but I also found that LOTS of people don't know this things, so maybe if you know, may find a solution... after all digital scrapping have become a world wide activity, so we should open or mind frontiers too.

hugs,

rpertiet
11-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Great points to bring up! At DesignerDigitals (and IdeaBooks4u) we have tried to do many things for our international customers. Almost half of our customer base is outside the U.S. and growing!

aggietha
11-23-2006, 08:04 AM
I understand how frustrated you must feel. :( We just recently had PayPal (Im from the Phils.) and before I was so bummed that I couldnt shop at stores which would only take PayPal. Good thing DD takes CCs :D Most of the shops here accept intl CCs already, you can read the thread here (http://www.digishoptalk.com/boards/showthread.php?t=4015).

Hom74
11-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designs also added the feature months back to accept Credit Cards :)

shazzt
11-23-2006, 08:19 AM
Yep - know how that feels. The Zip Code thing can be a real pain - especially if it includes a validation routine. For some reason, my (correct) post code here is never accepted (so a lot of places think I live in Beverley Hills 90210!!). And another thing - not all countries have States.

Having said that, almost all digi shops I have registered at have been flexible and haven't required US specific info - for which I am very grateful :)

ChristinaS
11-23-2006, 08:20 AM
This is my life story... getting frustrated with the things I cannot get because of Paypal not having Haiti in their country list. Thank you so much for bringing this up.
We don't have zip codes either, sometimes I just invent one or put xxxxxx
If it was not for the stores like DD or SBB that accept international credit cards, I would have never been digiscrapping. A lot of countries do not even have regular paper scrapbooking stores so as the market is growing it could be very interesting for designers and store owners to target more or facilitate international customers. Your products are a click away from anywhere in the world and people that have never even heard of scrapbooking might start directly with Digi as it grows.

Lauren
11-23-2006, 12:22 PM
I think in fairness, a lot of these requirements are actually set by the shopping cart system which unless the designers are also professional webmasters who can program the backend scripts, they wouldn't be able to change. I always just put zeroes or dashes to make up the required amount of characters where need be.

Also for those that cannot have a Paypal account, are you able to process your credit cards through the Paypal gateway without this? You will often have an option to either sign in or use a credit card. I've used this a few times while I was waiting for my credit card to be added to Paypal.

sarahbcmc
11-23-2006, 12:59 PM
I think in fairness, a lot of these requirements are actually set by the shopping cart system which unless the designers are also professional webmasters who can program the backend scripts, they wouldn't be able to change.

So true!
I'm lucky, I'm not from the US, but I have had access to my husband's paypal previously. I must admit, I have never had problems with ZIP codes or telephone numbers...I just add my UK one and things go through fine. Lucky, I guess ;) I think a lot of these things we are asked to include are part of the shopping/billing/posting software, so as far as (1) and (2) we will just have to live with it ;) ...

What I love is the great customer service I get from so many sites if there ever is a problem. As far as (3) goes, I always find an e-mail is answered promptly and effectively and I must admit I've not considered a phone-call - the times zones often make this difficult too.

As far as (4), the credit card option is great, so thanks to those stores who make the effort to provide that option. DesignerDigitals, SweetShoppeDesigns to name two.

I know many of the big sites (I can think of Designer Digitals, ScrapArtist, SweetShoppe Designs, ?SBB/TDC too) all have non-US designers and/or creative teams members as well as customers who are conscious of these issues. So, thanks to everyone that thinks about their global customer base!

S

OrianaVianey
11-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Also for those that cannot have a Paypal account, are you able to process your credit cards through the Paypal gateway without this?

Nope
Neither let you open a Pay Pal account nor accept Credit Card for those Countries who are not part of the Pay Pal network

Kazadoodle
11-23-2006, 01:42 PM
I wold like to point out to all of you who can't use PayPal - have you ever contacted the store, and explained your situation? Most of them are very willing to help you with arranging alternate means of payment.

OrianaVianey
11-23-2006, 03:29 PM
I wold like to point out to all of you who can't use PayPal - have you ever contacted the store, and explained your situation? Most of them are very willing to help you with arranging alternate means of payment.

Sure, but any bank transaction add a HUGE cost for the costumer. Even a cashier check have the inconvinience of the cost of the mail and/or courier plus the delay...

So, bottom line, I only buy at stores who think the international costumers worth the effort...

Kazadoodle
11-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Sure, but any bank transaction add a HUGE cost for the costumer. Even a cashier check have the inconvinience of the cost of the mail and/or courier plus the delay...

So, bottom line, I only buy at stores who think the international costumers worth the effort...

Sorry to hear it :( I know that most stores do the best they can.

I'm an International Customer too

Oh hey Oriana - I just noticed it's your birthday!! Happy birthday!!!!! :cheer

Sunni
11-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Scrapbook-Elements offered a variety of credit card options through Linkpoint, which is our credit card processing company. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover Card and American Express...as well as PayPal payments, check or money order.

ChristinaS
11-23-2006, 04:07 PM
Yes I have contacted the stores and all with no exception were exceptionally kind and incredibly generous sometimes. But the digital scrapbooking world moves fast, new things come out all the time, and I don't always feel like being a burden or complicating a sale that is supposed to be simple for the stores.
I see that some stores are adding other means of payment and I hope others will follow. I would be curious to know if the stores that have added means of payment have increased their sales.

kimlizzy
11-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Actually, I came across a new store a couple of days ago that only accepts credit cards. No Paypal at all. That's one customer they've lost. Not everyone has/wants a credit card.