PDA

View Full Version : NSBR: Looking for good recipe for cookie exchange

heatherly
11-23-2006, 05:13 PM
This is the first time I've been invited to a cookie exchange and I don't really have a specialty. Does anyone have a favorite recipe that you are willing to share?

Kazadoodle
11-23-2006, 05:25 PM
What fun, a cookie exchange! Here's an Aussie favourite - the ANZAC biscuit - totally yum!!

1 cup dessicated coconut
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1 level teaspoon baking soda
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 tablespoons boiling water

Mix dry ingredients, melt butter & syrup together in small saucepan. Dissolve soda in boiling water, add to dry ingredients. Cook until golden brown on 180c

Christine Borgfeld
11-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Here is my favorite...Sugar cookies with frosting (they are good without the frosting too)
Chewy Sugar Cookies
1 c. margarine tsp. salt
2 c. white sugar 2 eggs
2 c. all-purpose flour 2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking powder c. white sugar for decoration

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside
In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time then the vanilla. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients until just blended. Roll the dough into walnut sized balls and roll the balls in remaining 1/4 cup of sugar. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets and flatten slightly.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned at the edges. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Butter Icing for Sugar Cookies
1 c. confectioners' sugar 1 tbsp. milk
3 tbsp. butter, softened 3 drops red food coloring
1 tsp. vanilla extract 1 (2.25 ounce) jar red decorator sugar

Combine confectioners' sugar butter, vanilla and milk, beating until creamy. Thin with a few more drops of milk (if necessary) to reach desired spreading consistency. Stir in optional food coloring. Spread frosting over cooled cookies and decorate with colored sugar, if desired.

christaec
11-23-2006, 06:18 PM
I just made my Mom's and Dh's Mom's shortbread recipe (they are the same except one has more sugar than the other) for a cookie exchange, everyone went home and ate them all LOL

Brown Sugar Shortbread

1 cup butter/margarine
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 - 1/2 cup brown sugar (depends on how sweet you like).

Cream butter and sugar together. Add flour and mix well. Roll out and cut into shapes using cookie cutter. Decorate with cookie sprinkles. Bake approx. 15 minutes or until just starting to get golden brown. Let cool.

heatherly
11-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Oooh! Thanks for your ideas! Is it wrong of me to be hungry for cookies after a huge Thanksgiving meal? I'll check back tomorrow to print out the recipes. For now, I need some sleep...zzzzz

BubblyKori
11-24-2006, 01:13 AM
What fun, a cookie exchange! Here's an Aussie favourite - the ANZAC biscuit - totally yum!!

1 cup dessicated coconut
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
1 level teaspoon baking soda
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 tablespoons boiling water

Mix dry ingredients, melt butter & syrup together in small saucepan. Dissolve soda in boiling water, add to dry ingredients. Cook until golden brown on 180c

Is the ANZAC biscuit a soft or crisp biscuit/cookie? It sounds yummy!

Kazadoodle
11-24-2006, 01:15 AM
Is the ANZAC biscuit a soft or crisp biscuit/cookie? It sounds yummy!

The good ones, for me, are chewy, some of them can be crisp