PDA

View Full Version : Which digital camera? HELP!

brittanylyn
11-23-2006, 04:42 PM
Okay, if you were going to choose an inexpensive camera, which brand would you choose? (Looking at Black Friday ads, and need to know which one to go for.)

My personal vote is for the Canon. I just need to knwo what others think. (This is not for me, FYI.)

ACE's Wild
11-23-2006, 04:53 PM
I love my entry level Canon Rebel XT (slr digital). I've had it for a couple months. My sister likes her Pentax entry level SLR digital. I find it pretty simple to use and love the pictures I'm taking!

Nettio
11-23-2006, 05:07 PM
I voted for the Canon. I have the older Powershot A85 and I love it. It's a great little camera.

Cori
11-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Canon, definitely!

mummakat
11-23-2006, 06:17 PM
I had a wonderful Sony DSC-V1, and it was awesome. Can't say enough good bout Sony's digis with the Carl Zeiss lenses!

Leila
11-23-2006, 06:21 PM
I'd go with the Canon too. DH has a Powershot G1, it's still going strong 7 years later.

Natalie
11-23-2006, 06:47 PM
Ha, I know exactly what you're looking for! I've been looking at those exact models (plus a few others) for my 5yo dd. Although I readily admit that I'm a Canon girl (I use a Rebel XT), I (think I'm) opting for the Sony S500 instead of the Canon, although really, it was a tough call. I don't really think there's a wildly compelling argument for one over the other (of these two cameras) in this price range, but it was easy to eliminate the Kodaks, plus HP, Samsung, Fuji, Pentax and even Nikon based on all the negative reviews of them. I also considered the Olympus FE-170 (http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-FE-170-Digital-Camera-Optical/dp/B000H7FXAS/sr=1-4/qid=1164339183/ref=sr_1_4/104-5534069-2644705?ie=UTF8&s=photo) and one or two others I might be forgetting (ah, found one: the Panasonic DMC-LZ4S (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-DMC-LZ4S-Digital-Camera/sem/rpsm/oid/161190/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do)).

I liked the many shooting modes on the Canon and the 4x (vs. 3x on the Sony) optical zoom. And certainly, on amazon, there are many more reviews on the Canon than there are of the Sony, which says a lot already. But - for me - I doubted it it would matter much to my primary user: my 5.5 yo dd. And for her, those many shooting modes were probably useless, but the larger LCD screen (2.4" vs 1.8"), IMO, was more important (for her, at least). I doubt that the 5MP on the Canon vs. the 6MP on the Sony is going to matter, but hey, it's nice, I guess.

If you get the Sony, or any camera requiring a memoro stick pro duo, check out Office Max's price (unless you're gonna go stand in line at Circuit City tomorrow morning) on the Sandisk 1Gb.

mummytothree
11-23-2006, 06:47 PM
I have only ever bought HP's and one Canon. So I would say one of those. I have an HP 215 (or something) that is 8 years old and still going strong. I let my kids use it and it has taken a beating is still fabulous!! Of course the MP are low so the quality isn't prime, but it works for them.