PDA

View Full Version : s/o: ? for designers about kit sales.....

matthewsmom
11-24-2006, 02:16 PM
I've always wandered what the 'average' number of times a kit is sold. I realize that number can vary wildly, but designers, what is your average number of times a kit is sold? :)

Kazadoodle
11-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Sorry, for me that's impossible to answer :) I don't have an average number

ditzyscrap
11-24-2006, 02:28 PM
For kits...I average 2 sales/kit. LOL...I feel pathetic! My Launch Pads sell much better, though! :)

suejones
11-24-2006, 02:52 PM
That's hard to say. Some sell only a few, some don't sell a one! Some sell really well. It's hard to put an average on it.
My wordart sells really well though.

Michelle Underwood
11-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Really, I don't have much of an average....but some kits I have sold only about 12 to 20, and then some have sold over 200.

I know that most designers don't like talking numbers, but I am really interested in these things (I am sure that others are too).

There are threads going on right now (here at DST) about the Best and worst selling kits... and I am shocked at some of the kits that aren't selling well. It is so hard to tell which kits will do great and which will flop. When I look at the best selling kits, I can't help but wonder how many kits have sold. It is not that I want to know how much a designer is making...I am just the type that is facinated by numbers. Really, sometimes selling is all about a great kit, a great designer, and great promotion...but sometimes, a kit will just defy all odds and sell like hot cakes. lol KWIM?

diannerigdon
11-24-2006, 03:02 PM
It's really difficult to have this discussion. I think you would see a wide variety of answers here...anywhere from 2 to 10, 20, 30, 50, 100's and up depending on the designer, the kit, and/or the shop.

AmyTeets
11-24-2006, 03:17 PM
I think it all depends on how long the kit has been up for sale too :D

Michelle Underwood
11-24-2006, 03:19 PM
It's really difficult to have this discussion. I think you would see a wide variety of answers here...anywhere from 2 to 10, 20, 30, 50, 100's and up depending on the designer, the kit, and/or the shop.
I think it all depends on how long the kit has been up for sale too :D

True, true.

matthewsmom
11-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the input. It's always something I've wondered. I'm sure that some are reluctant to give up those numbers, but sometimes it SHOCKS me when a designer says that they've only sold a couple of kits. Makes me wonder how you can all afford to do this....

Hom74
11-24-2006, 04:07 PM
I think you may get more responses if you made it into a poll. Then people can put an estimate without having to post ;)

o-10
11-50
51-100
101-200
etc

b/c it would be interesting.

[michele]
11-24-2006, 04:35 PM
I think you may get more responses if you made it into a poll.

Oooh, that's a good idea!

I was wondering about this the other night, because so many products say "1000 in stock". Obviously the shopping system requires a number and that is not the actual amount. I just started wondering how many kits do sell, and what would happen if, after X number of sales, the kit WAS removed permanently. Would people buy more often, knowing a kit wouldn't be there forever?

:) Michele