PDA

View Full Version : ACDSee 9. Should I take the plunge?

paperchick
11-24-2006, 02:44 PM
I am frankly scared to figure out this organizing thing, but maybe I could see what I have versus trying to remember. I have PSE4, but can't stand how the organizer makes things run so slowly, so I have not tagged anything. I googled and found a 25% code. They also have a special if you and a friend are interested, 2 for $49.99. Anyways, I have read many of the threads, and I am hoping to see what others feel about the program. I have to get organized before I buy anything more!

pagebypaige
11-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Can't wait to see what answers you get... I was just thinking about getting this today!!

cindyi
11-24-2006, 02:52 PM
I have it and like it. it makes it so I can browse through my 'treasures' as if they were in a filing cabinet or organizer box - if I want ribbon, I can see everything I have with a click. It makes it so that my credits list is huge though - lol.. I can grab stuff from tons of different kits to do one layout!

paperchick
11-24-2006, 02:53 PM
The coupon code is holidays. Hope that' s ok to post. If not, someone pm me and I will edit my post.

anrobe
11-24-2006, 03:23 PM
I have it and I LOVE it! I was using PSE4 and hated how slow it was. I can't recommend ACDSee enough. It's made a huge difference for me!

ditzyscrap
11-24-2006, 03:32 PM
You really can't go wrong! I have used Picasa (hated it), PS's Organizer (originally Photo Album, then PSE's organizer)...but it was sooo slow...and I gave PSP's organizer a go, but didn't like it either.

ACDSee is pretty easy to use, there are a few little quirks or whatever that they could improve, but overall it's better than anything else out there. And it isn't a memory hog like Adobe's organizer...which is SOOO nice, I can run in and PS at the same time without bogging down my computer to a crawl.

I completely and totally recommend ACDSee, in case my above answer didn't give you that idea. LOL!

Heidi@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-24-2006, 04:22 PM
I myself have gone through a few organizers and all have their problems. I have researched many of the other organizers (free and trials) out there and most cannot seem to handle the large amount of files in our digital kits.

ACDSee 9 seems to be handling the load of my digital library. Currently my digital library is about 70GB which includes my digital kits, my personal photos from 6 years, all my digital layouts, and my scanned heritage photos. Not all is cataloged yet, but over time it will be. In addition they have many extra features that digital scrapbookers use: making previews, archiving your kits easily, cataloging and viewing thumbnails of offline CD/DVD.

Also, a bonus is this forum is very supportive of how to use ACDSee 9 and can answer your questions. There are a few tutorials available and I am sure there will be more tutorials to use in the near future.

paperchick
11-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Thanks for everyone who answered. I am downloading now. For some reason the coupon is only 20%, not 25%, but that is ok. I will install and try super quick before we go out. Please feel free to keep adding ideas! Thanks.

Connie@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Ditto to what my sister said.... I see that she was just thru here 5 min's ago!

I wrote a feature article for the DST newsletter on ACDSee's software and all it's features. It should be in the December issue.

And there are many here that will help you as you get started.

And as my sister said - the company is providing great customer service with some useful upcoming support specific to our community!

We'll keep you informed. If you're interested - check out the thread in my siggy - that outlines the ability to create offline discs (see the thumbnails & search - even when the disc isn't in the computer). That's what sold me on this product.

You won't regret it!

meems
11-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks for everyone who answered. I am downloading now. For some reason the coupon is only 20%, not 25%, but that is ok. I will install and try super quick before we go out. Please feel free to keep adding ideas! Thanks.

I don't know if they still do this but if you d/l the trial you'll get a My Daily Offer from ACDSee for $5 off. I bought from that offer and was also able to use the 20% off coupon.

It's totally worth it. Does a LOT and is way better than the PSE Organizer.

Connie: Can't wait to read your article!

Connie@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Connie: Can't wait to read your article!

Thanks Mimi - I highlighted every feature and divided them into 4 sections:

Features for 1) Organizing Photos; 2) Organizing Digital Scrapbooking Supplies; 3) For Easier Scrapping & Uploading to Galleries; 4) For Sharing Projects with Family and Friends

How's that for a teaser? :p

AND after the December issue, we'll be having a regular 'tips & tricks' section for ACDSee Photo Manager 9. So you'll be able to continually learn to make better use of the software! THANK YOU to the DST newsletter team. They're helping us make sure that we don't have anyone :madness because they can't find their digiscrapping stuff when they should be scrapping!

paperchick
11-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks again. We went out and I thought I was just downloading my Digital scrapping folder, but in the upper left hand corner of ACDsee, there are a lot more folders. I am not sure if it is safe to delete them, or if it deletes them from my computer. For example, I have my Corel use files, skype, picassa files,etc..., I am not sure how it uploads those. Must be something I did. Can I delete them?

Nettio
11-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks again. We went out and I thought I was just downloading my Digital scrapping folder, but in the upper left hand corner of ACDsee, there are a lot more folders. I am not sure if it is safe to delete them, or if it deletes them from my computer. For example, I have my Corel use files, skype, picassa files,etc..., I am not sure how it uploads those. Must be something I did. Can I delete them?

I would say no, don't delete them. ACDSee will show your file tree, just like in Windows explorer, and if you delete those files they will be gone! Tagging, keywords and using categories, doesn't move the files, but deleting, moving, or renaming within that file tree will change them on your computer. It's one of the features I love but you do need to be careful.

paperchick
11-24-2006, 08:24 PM
Ok. I will have to spend tomorrow playing w/ this. I don't even know how to load new unzipped files into the organizer, once I get it though, I am sure it will be an aha moment. Thanks for preventing me from deleting them.

Connie@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-25-2006, 06:44 AM
Ok. I will have to spend tomorrow playing w/ this. I don't even know how to load new unzipped files into the organizer, once I get it though, I am sure it will be an aha moment. Thanks for preventing me from deleting them.

Here is the main point to remember:

Any files that have categories & keywords applied need to be moved IN ACDSee - or you may lose that info.

To unzip folders - I work outside of the program. The company is still considering what the best procedure is to unzip from within the software.

So when I go to unzip - I open Windows Explorer & unzip as in the past. I have a download folder - and I DO NOT catalog anything in there in ACDSee. So unzip in there, then open ACDSee - and move the unzipped folders to where you want them to be & catalog.

And I agree with Lynnette - anything you delete within ACDSee is permanently gone or in your trash - because you are looking at your file tree. Just ignore those files. I have my scrapbooking files in one area & ignore the rest.

Hope that helps

cheribear
11-25-2006, 07:02 AM
2 for $49? Can the 20% off apply to that deal, too?

(stop shopping Cheri. Budget blown. Sometimes it DOES hurt to ask! :lol )