PDA

View Full Version : Continuous Shooting Mode

Sunshinelewis
11-24-2006, 05:04 PM
I am wondering which camera has the Best continuous shooting modes along with less shutter lag......I hate shutter lag!!!! I love action shots and need a camera with a great continuous shooting mode.

Hom74
11-24-2006, 05:27 PM
most dSLRs are great when it comes to little or no noticeable shutter lag and they can shoot in bursts of photos too.

Kim2002
11-24-2006, 05:28 PM
I have the Canon dRebel and it has a pretty fast recycle time. Though that is only if you are shooting in JPG format. If you switch to RAW, the recycle time is slower. The newest version (400D) has 3 frames per second in JPG format.

Lauren
11-24-2006, 06:12 PM
The best (excluding the pro lines) is the Canon 30D at 5fps. Kim is right that shooting in RAW does slow the rate down, however I think this has been improved from the original Rebel to the XT and now XTi - I don't believe it slows down until about 3 seconds in to the burst but you will get 10 seconds in JPG mode before it slows down.

Sunshinelewis
11-25-2006, 06:47 AM
How do I know if I am shooting in JPG format? I feel so stupid asking this question but gotta know. How can I tell if I am in raw or JPG? Thanks guys for all your help, don't know what I would do without this board...it ROCKS!!!

Sulis
11-25-2006, 06:50 AM
You'll definitely need a DSLR if you want to avoid shutter lag. I have the Canon 400D (Rebel XTi) and I love it!:)

Hom74
11-25-2006, 07:05 AM
If you don't know...I'm pretty cretain it's in JPG format :lol. RAW format requires you to edit/convert it to JPG afterwards so I'm pretty sure you would know if you were shooting in RAW.

How do I know if I am shooting in JPG format? I feel so stupid asking this question but gotta know. How can I tell if I am in raw or JPG? Thanks guys for all your help, don't know what I would do without this board...it ROCKS!!!

Sunshinelewis
11-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Ok guys give me your opinion on my camera...It's a Canon PowerShot Pro 1.
Here are some of the specs:

Max shutter 1/4000 sec
Format SLR-like----What the heck does LIKE mean?
Zoom wide (W) 28 mm
Effective pixels 8.0 million
Max resolution 3264 x 2448
Continuous Drive Yes, 2.5 fps, max 6 images-Is this the amount of time to
take the next pic?

Ok So tell me what you think. Should I upgrade or what? Santa is coming ya know.lol

Lauren
11-26-2006, 06:46 PM
If you're not using a dSLR, you're most likely not shooting RAW as only a handful of P&S support the format. As Karen said, you have to convert them before you can use them, so you'd know.

Anyway, I remember the Pro1 had a lot of good reviews. The 2.8fps for 6 frames means you can take a burst mode where it will take a shot every 0.35 of a second but only for 6 shots, so about two seconds. Compared to a dSLR such as the new XTi which is 3fps (every 0.33 of a second) for 27 shots (I think - this is from memory) or about 9 seconds. Oh and "SLR like" means it is shaped like an SLR and usually has more advanced controls than the compacts, but it is really just a large P&S because you cannot change the lens. They're often called bridge cameras as they are literally that - a bridge between the compacts and the SLRs.

ETA - I agree with Kim below that I wouldn't upgrade from the Pro1 unless it was to a dSLR.

Kim2002
11-26-2006, 07:09 PM
If I had that camera, I wouldn't bother to upgrade unless you want to go to an SLR - meaning, have the option to change lenses and such.

Jana1506
11-26-2006, 07:13 PM
If you are looking at the prosumer cameras or dSLR-like cameras, may I suggest looking at the Panasonic DMC-FZ7 (http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/fz7.html)?
I have this camera and I am VERY happy with it. It features 12x zoom with optical image stabilization among other nice features and also has Mega Burst mode which continuously captures 14 images @ 3 frames per second.
At about $300, this camera is 1/3 the money of a dSLR but can easily take it up with the “big guys.”

Edit: I just read the specs for the camera you have, and I agree with what Kim said.