PDA

View Full Version : This has probably been asked before

ladybug*kisses
11-24-2006, 07:51 PM
but why must we have to give out personal info when buying store items?

Most sites only take PayPal so I don't understand why my address, phone number, and birthday are necessary when buying downloaded items. I could see if I was using a CC why this info is needed, but not with PayPal.

Can someone please explain why this is needed. I want to do lots of shopping this weekend, but am tired of having to register with all of my info.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Rachel

Lauren
11-24-2006, 08:33 PM
I think it's the shopping cart system that requires it, rather than the stores/designers themselves. Most of the systems are set up to use various payment methods and also for items that will be shipped rather than downloaded, so it has to cater for everyone.

Half the time, it's still all my old UK info because I haven't updated that site yet. Works fine.

Trina
11-24-2006, 08:54 PM
I want to do lots of shopping this weekend, but am tired of having to register with all of my info.

The good news is that once you're registered at the site with a username, your name/address come up the next time you log into the site, so you only have to do it once per site ;)

diannerigdon
11-24-2006, 09:16 PM
You have to also realize that you are not buying merchandise, but rather are entering into a contract with the designer. What you are buying is a license to use their creations under which you agree to abide by whatever rules and guidelines they have set forth in their terms of use. I understand the reluctance to provide that information when you don't feel it's necessary and wish to protect your privacy, but maybe this gives a little more "food for thought".

Scraptures ~ Mona Minnie
11-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Another thing to consider is that your information is also transferred to the store's accounting system as a customer record. This information provides a more complete customer record. It helps when you review demographics to find out where most of your customers are from also. Good question!

BeckyO (AlmostMex)
11-25-2006, 06:35 AM
I have wondered the same thing, more from a security standpoint than anything. I am not very comfortable with my fullname, street address, phone number, e-mail address and in some cases even birthdate (which I never put my real date BTW) being on so many websites, because as posts in the past have indicated, hackers have been able to get into some websites and cause problems (although I don't know that they were able to get to any personal information). I understand where the designers are coming from with contracts, etc., but I have to admit that when I go to buy something, it makes me think twice if I have to register all of my personal information. There have been cases where if I only want to buy one thing, I'll decide naah, I really don't need it, just to avoid having one more store out there with all of that information.

cheribear
11-25-2006, 06:41 AM
IRL it makes me uncomfortable when I purchase something in a store and they want anything other than my money for it. I guess I never questioned it online before because prior to starting with digi, most of what I bought online had to be shipped to my physical address.

Its a PITA but really - that information is out there WAY too much already so it would be pointless to try and stop the bleeding now. :lol: Mostly what would bother me is my CC information and for that I feel more comfortable with stores that use Paypal. I don't think a $1 or $2 purchase is worth giving my CC information out over.

diannerigdon
11-25-2006, 09:15 AM
I totally agree....I feel uncomfortable about it too. Not only in the digiscrap community but just anywhere on the net. It's a good thing to be careful with your information. Having paypal does help protect your info, but you just have to weight the pros and cons.

Mar1anneC
11-25-2006, 01:26 PM
I hate when I am asked to give all that info for a freebie!

Kazadoodle
11-25-2006, 07:23 PM
So don't - make something up - no-one will ever know - LOL - give your address as 123 Main Street, Smallville or something :)

My street address and phone number is available to anyone who cares to look up my name in the phone directory, with public access like that, giving my info to a site doesn't phase me in the least - LOL

ladybug*kisses
11-26-2006, 07:47 AM
It's not so much that I want to keep my info private. It's just annoying to have to fill everything out every time I want to buy something.

I don't want to have to register. I just want to be able to hit a buy now button, pay, and then get my download link. But that's just me. I want instant gratification. LOL

Thanks to all that answered. = )

Franbvm
11-26-2006, 09:33 AM
I have wondered the same thing, more from a security standpoint than anything. I am not very comfortable with my fullname, street address, phone number, e-mail address and in some cases even birthdate (which I never put my real date BTW) being on so many websites, because as posts in the past have indicated, hackers have been able to get into some websites and cause problems (although I don't know that they were able to get to any personal information). I understand where the designers are coming from with contracts, etc., but I have to admit that when I go to buy something, it makes me think twice if I have to register all of my personal information. There have been cases where if I only want to buy one thing, I'll decide naah, I really don't need it, just to avoid having one more store out there with all of that information.

if you don't fell comfortable get an extra email account for that purpose and use factious info.