PDA

View Full Version : How many times have you...

Yen
11-25-2006, 08:13 AM
...been turned down when applying for a CT? Me, I have been turned down twice! lol And I said to myself that I will NEVER apply again! :) I always tell myself that they didn't get me because my style is not their style..But deep inside, I felt like crying in the corner..LOL

Any other out there have been turned down already??? Or its only me? ROFL!

mrs2a50
11-25-2006, 08:15 AM
I can't even count! LOL! But that's okay, 'cause if you don't apply, you don't even have a chance! And even though I've been turned down by some great designers, I've been chosen by some even greater ones. So it all works out in the end ;)

LauraKaye
11-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Yen!! There is just no way that it is only you! Your work is amazing, beautiful, gorgeous, astounding, need I go on and on and on and on?

I've been turned down at least four times (probably more, but I've pushed that information way down where I can't see it anymore :>) and every time I felt just terrible. Just keep reminding yourself that they are getting tons of applications and can't possibly choose every person that sent in their amazing work for consideration.

{{Hugs}} for Yen! If I had a CT, you'd be on it!
Laura

Yen
11-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Yep,Julie :) I hear ya..hehe But you should have seen my face when I had those two turn downs..lol

Tommys Mommy
11-25-2006, 08:18 AM
I was turned down by every single CT I applied for ( some repeatedly, that run new CT's every 6 months), all but one. The only CT I managed to apply for and get on was for Anita Stergiou. Soon than meshed into Anita and Theresa's creative team. and now more designers. I happily get to play with everyone's designs who sell there, I am also the CT coordinator for the site, and do the site's monthly newsletter. They keep me happy, busy, and pay me well.

BeckyO (AlmostMex)
11-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Don't worry, you aren't alone! I've applied once and been turned down once....:p :lol like 6 months ago at least. One of these days, I'll apply again, but for now, I don't want to go through that again ;)

Teresa Victor
11-25-2006, 08:22 AM
I think it happens to most of us! :) I've been turned down twice as well. I really don't apply to many CTs because I just don't have the time to devote to a lot. Having done my own CT call, I know there are just SOOO many fantastic scrappers out there and it's not easy to choose....and it's all up to the personal style of the designer holding the call. So- bottom line is just keep applying to the ones that catch your eye and hope you mesh! :)

mrs2a50
11-25-2006, 08:22 AM
Yep,Julie :) I hear ya..hehe But you should have seen my face when I had those two turn downs..lol

I've made that face too Yen, MANY times! LOL!

LibbysMommy
11-25-2006, 08:27 AM
LOL, I'm sure I've made the same face too!! ;)

And JULIE!! Look at your new blinkie girl!! When did that happen?! Congrats to you - Natalie is awesome!! :D

Yen
11-25-2006, 08:30 AM

And JULIE!! Look at your new blinkie girl!! When did that happen?! Congrats to you - Natalie is awesome!! :D

Yep,Julie! I was about to Congratulate ya! :) Congrats!!! :)

pagebypaige
11-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Oh my goodness... I can't even begin to count my "Dear John" emails!! I don't apply as often as I use to, but sometimes I just can't resist!! I have learned along the way though to only apply for teams that are a good fit for me.

mrs2a50
11-25-2006, 08:34 AM

LOL! Thanks! That would be the result of a shamelss e-mail to Natalie begging for a spot!

Keela
11-25-2006, 08:40 AM
It's not just you! I've been turned down twice too. Don't feel bad...just think of it as you just didn't fit that designers profile right now. ;) I can't see how anyone would turn you down though!!! Your LOs are amazing.

michelle pearson
11-25-2006, 08:42 AM
I have also been turned down so many that I can't even count.. It happens to all of us.. Yen your layouts rock! :) Keep on sending those apps...

cheribear
11-25-2006, 08:44 AM
I think about six. After a fiasco where I was facing going from no teams to 4 or 5 teams (if accepted on the other 2 I applied for at once) I really had to be careful to only apply to one at a time.

I only apply to teams I *really*really*really* want to be on, so each "no thanks" email is sort of disappointing - but I'm not so confident yet that I actually expect any other answer so it doesn't really sting *that* bad. :lol:

mama c
11-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Julie-so that's how it's done, huh? lol Congrats!!
I've been turned down twice for CTs. But it's all good. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! :)

Nettio
11-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Yep, I think I'm at about a 50% acceptance rate. :lol In fact, the first teams I ended up on were only because I was invited. After being turned down a few times, I had decided there was no way I was applying again for awhile.

I honestly have no idea how designers choose, there is so much awesome talent out there. I just try to remember that maybe that wasn't the best opportunity for me. But yeah, I don't think that really makes the rejection any easier. :lol

sandra
11-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Oh, yeah! I was just turned down again today! There have been several, but I love the teams I have. I try not to take it too personally... they can only invite so many, right?

Hollie H (Holliewood Studios)
11-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Who was crazy enough to turn you down?!?!? You rock!

Cori
11-25-2006, 09:11 AM
I have been turned down three times. I've learned to only apply to teams that I can REALLY work with. It's hard to scrap with stuff that just doesn't fit your style. So I've learned to only apply to teams for people that I'd be buying from anyway. Stuff that's easy to scrap with. :)

The very first one I applied to I was turned down but I kind of expected it. The last 2 that I was turned down for I was really disappointed but don't think for a second that I won't try again if they have another! LOL

ETA : There have also been teams that I just *knew* I was going to get turned down for and scored them anyway. Now THAT is an awesome feeling!

diannerigdon
11-25-2006, 10:09 AM
As I glance at all of your galleries....I can't see any reason why you can't be on teams. It's just that there's so much competition, you know? You are all pretty talented scrappers and it must be a matter of blindfolded picking sometimes lol. I can only imagine how much it would sting to be turned down...I sit here wishing I could be on a bajillion teams but I know my limitations and I just don't have the time. I think that's really good advice Cory about applying to designers whose style matches your own. That's good thinking, but also like you said, if you don't apply, you'll never know!

aggietha
11-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Like Lynette, I have a 50% batting average :). Most of the designers I so love to work with have no open calls (yet) so I havent applied in a long time. I feel bad especially if I really wanted to be part of that CT, but my motto is "Try and try until you succeed." ;)

jaylensmom
11-25-2006, 10:22 AM
I haven't been turned (YET) down but then again I don't apply because I'm afraid of being turned down. If you all have been turned down I'm worried because you have some awesome galleries. I think I better wait a little longer before I apply...

mlpieters
11-25-2006, 10:36 AM
i'm currently working w/ some fab designers - but i've been turned down ALOT!! :hug

WendyPage
11-25-2006, 10:40 AM
I've been turned down for every CT I've applied for! And have been SO lucky to have been invited to the teams I am on!

Gayle
11-25-2006, 10:42 AM
I applied only once for a designer who's style I just loved working with and, alas, was turned down. Since then, I've seen a few that I wanted to apply for but didn't feel I could meet the requirements. So I just wait and watch the listings . . . eventually I'll earn a pretty blinkie. :p

Hom74
11-25-2006, 10:49 AM
{{{HUGS}}} Yen - you know you're awesome, right? You continually amaze me. But I can imagine it must be soooo hard for the designers. Whenever I look in the gallery there are just a LOT of amazing LOs.

I have a fear of failure lol. So I never had any intention of applying to CTs at all. But Mindy Terasawa had a call looooooong time ago and I just love her kits that I just had to apply. I told myself it would be ok b/c I knew there was NO way I was getting on, but it would be a good opportunity to tell her that I loved her work. Yeah...so i didn't get on :) And even knowing that going into it...it still hurts a little.

Well...luckily I did apply to other calls not to soon after that and made a bunch of them lol. Also didn't make others either. And actually now I've had more private invites (which I haven't been able to accept any b/c I don't want to overload) than the total number I've even applied to. Sometimes I wonder if I should've just accepted some of them b/c they would be on my list of dream CT gigs. So that's why I never respond to those dream CT threads. What if the designer saw that I mention them and then they say....well geez Karen...I did invite you lol.

It's weird b/c I told myself long time ago that I was done applying b/c I have quite a full plate so I always get a mixed reaction when I see a new call. Relief that I don't have to be anxious waiting for an answer and a little sad b/c there are a lot of awesome designers out there too. And even when I was 'done' applying you just can't pass up some like the TDC and SSD store. It's so much fun!

mishou
11-25-2006, 11:04 AM
I've applied for 2 CT's in the past and was rejected both times. Never had the guts to apply anywhere after that. (I'm only on these two teams because they're my friends and were kind enough to invite me . . .most likely out of obligation and pity! ROFL!)

I used to take this kind of rejection so hard but now that I'm on the other side of the table and coordinating a call I can see it for what it really is. As others have mentioned, it all boils down to math. More people apply than there are spots and there's just no way to take everyone even though they are ALL equally amazing! :eek

But like Julie said, "if you don't apply you don't even have a chance!". That's the best advice!

Karen B
11-25-2006, 11:05 AM
I haven't been flat out rejected yet, but I've only applied for one team and asked a newer designer if she would be having a CT call. The newer one is going to wait until she has more designs in the store and the other was a designer whose message board I'd been posting on regularly, whose designs I really enjoy working with, and I'd been buying over half her kits and wanted to buy almost every one, and that's the CT I'm on now and am thoroughly enjoying.

My best advice would be to only apply for designers whose work suits your style and yours suits theirs, and to not overextend yourself. For me, multiple tight deadlines would take all the joy out of scrapping! Keep in mind how often the designer releases new kits.

Traci Reed
11-25-2006, 11:06 AM
oh, don't worry ladies, I've been turned down a ton too! I think I have a lower than 50% batting average myself!

I know, that from the designer end, I'm interested in who is the most excited about my product, who has a consistent and active gallery and whose style I think meshes the best with my kits. Just because I've turned someone down doesn't mean they don't have a fabulous gallery, by any means!

Keep your chins up, and keep applying to the designers you love!

ashtina
11-25-2006, 11:15 AM
i've been turned down probably 3 times... maybe more :) it always burns, but I've lived and maybe one day I'll try again :)

caridura
11-25-2006, 11:23 AM
I don't think it ever gets easier to get that decline e-mail. When I first started applying it took a bit to get accepted. Then I had a nice stretch of getting on several teams and now it's been awhile since I've been accepted again. lol I also don't apply as much unless it's a team I've been interested in for a long time because I don't want to stretch myself too thin.

Yen, your pages are always amazing!!

JulieK
11-25-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm on some fantastic teams!!! And so excited to be!!!! But i've been turned down more times than I can count..... But nothing-ventured, nothing gained!!!! It's why I apply for MMM and a few other big contests... You can't win if you don't enter, and you just never know what they are looking for!!!!

Iheartjanda
11-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Once...the first I actually applied for.

AmyK
11-25-2006, 11:53 AM
You know, I have to say that I actually prefer NOT to get that "denied" email. I'd rather hear nothing. LOL! I think, in my days when I applied for a lot of CTs, I was denied by 8. But during my hey-day, I was on 6 fantastic teams and loved them all.

SimplySara
11-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Yen, your work is awesome. I know it's hard not to take it personally if that's the kind of girl you are. I take everything personally, even things that have nothing to do with me.

I know it's hard for the designers too. I had a public call once and had over 50 applicants. I was overwhelmed, and I didn't want to hurt anyones feelings. I tried to take on as many CT's as I could even though I may only release one kit a month.

Now I just send emails to specific scrappers when I have a spot open on my team. And I've been turned down on that end of things too.

((hugs))
Sara

annacp
11-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Every time. I'm not sure on the count--probably 6? But my 3 year old thinks my stuff is beautiful, so that's what matters, right? ;)

lunafaerie
11-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Oh at least 5 or 6 times at least! And then there was one that I thought I never had shot, and I got it, that was a rush.

I agree with Amy, there's been a couple I thought I'd love to be on and then never heard anything, and it didn't hurt as badly LOL!! But I respect the designers who do take the time to say thanks too, even if it hurts a bit.

On a side note, Yen your pages are amazing! I can't imagine anyone saying no to you when looking at your gallery girl! You are such an inspiration!

Stacey42
11-25-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure how many times I've been turned down. I've been accepted on 3 teams. I know I have applied for at least 6 others over the past year or so, if not 10 others. I applied for a bunch just over year ago and made 2; then several more about 8 months ago and made none of them. Since then I've applied for a few here & there & made 1. My batting average is pretty low I think. There are a few CTs I would love to be on, but in the long run it is probably best I didn't make those teams 8 months ago. I ended up having a lot less time to scrap than I thought would,

nennikers
11-25-2006, 03:11 PM
What a great thread, Yen. And, hey, I have some of your LO's in my Favorites...that takes away some of the pain of the CT Rejection Sting, right?! :)

I've been rejected once. It wasn't fun. It made me feel like not trying again. The designer was ULTRA-polite and let me down very, very gently. But that rejection e-mail made me feel like I wasn't good enough.

Please remember, though, that we're all good enough regardless of how many CT's we're on (including ZERO). It's AWESOME to get validated for the art you create, but the legacy you're leaving behind is oh-so-more important!

P.S. For what it's worth, I stalk most of your galleries regularly. I need to leave more love. I need to leave more love. I need to leave more love!

dolphncove
11-25-2006, 03:15 PM
I've never applied for any due to fear of this same reason....rejection!
I'm just a scraplifter too. I can never come up with my own stuff. I'm working on it though!

Lisa

ChristinaS
11-25-2006, 04:09 PM
I never applied because I never thought I was good enough and did not even know how it worked. There so many talented scrappers out there and I amazed that people can come up with so much new ideas all the time. Then Vicky invited me to her team and DD chose me as artist of the month for october, that was already so much to me and they gave me a little more confidence but maybe not enough to go apply. I'd rather dream about it ! lol !

Paula
11-25-2006, 04:58 PM
I've been turned down 5 times. However, the two teams I am on right now, I was invited to be a part of! :) And these two teams keep me pretty busy, so I am happy with them.

There are a couple of designers out there who I would love to be able to work for . . . . I'll guess I'll have to see what the future holds! :)

Andrea C.
11-25-2006, 05:11 PM
I am on some incredible teams now but I've been turned down by some incredible designers as well, some of them have turned me down more than once :blush Talk about sting! I do understand that they have their reasoning and maybe there's another purpose for me, kwim? I love my designers! They all rock!

Row
11-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. I was feeling the same three days ago after my first rejection. But there are only so many spots to go around.

Genevieve
11-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Yen, OHMIGOSH! Whoever turned you down must be completely out of their GOURD! ;) Your layouts are GORGEOUS! I totally want to scrap like you when I grow up (whenever that is)! LOL

But it does make me feel a little better. I've gotten turned down more often than not! I get really bummed after I've been turned down, but it doesn't keep me from trying. I figure I'll never know unless I try--so I apply! ;) LOL

LelaFleet
11-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Ive been turned down so many times! I always get totally bummed and tell myself Im never applying for another CT again! Then of course all these awesome designers put out calls and I just have to apply again :) Im loving the CTs Im on!

designs by krista
11-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Wow Yen ~ I just have to say their loss for rejecting you. I would consider you one of the elite awesome scrappers. Your LO's always ROCK!!

SteinwaysMom/DebraTope
11-25-2006, 07:26 PM
...been turned down when applying for a CT? Me, I have been turned down twice! lol And I said to myself that I will NEVER apply again! :) I always tell myself that they didn't get me because my style is not their style..But deep inside, I felt like crying in the corner..LOL

Any other out there have been turned down already??? Or its only me? ROFL!

I can't believe anyone would turn you down! Just goes to show that even the best people have faced rejection.

Cori
11-25-2006, 07:30 PM
I can't believe anyone would turn you down! Just goes to show that even the best people have faced rejection.

My thoughts exactly! :)

Yen
11-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Sorry ladies,I just replied. I just wake up..

Thanks for all the wonderful comments about my layouts..And as for the designers making the call, yep, I'm sure it's really hard for them. This was actually happened a while ago already...There are too many amazing layout artist out there and I don't take it personally. But KWIM? It does hurt a little but I forget about it already. :) I respect all their decision too and just like everyone says, you'll never know if you don't apply...But right now, I'm happy creating for DD, Meredith and Amy! And 2 of them I didn't applied ;)

Thanks for the replies..I thought no one would answer this thread..lol I'm a thread killer too :)

Maisie
11-25-2006, 07:43 PM
I applied for two designers earlier this week.
Won one with Donna Rafferty of Pixel Mischief, Distressed Diva.com
But was turned down on the other application.
Finally got nerve up to apply, and I have been rejected by a few.
but I'm happy with what I have!!

tnkbuzan
11-25-2006, 07:49 PM
This was a fun thread to read, Yen! We've all been in the same boat :) I haven't applied to very many and when I was accepted, I was totally in shock. There's just so much talent out there....sometimes I peruse the gallery and am just amazed by the incredible quality of the work that I see.

I applied to desginerdigitals when I was brand new at this and was accepted. I can't imagine a better place to be...Katie was wonderful and I'll always be thankful she gave me that chance. I applied at one more soon after and didn't get....I didn't really expect it though :)

Sometime's it hard to put yourself out there, but it's certainly worth it. I can't believe the great adventure I've had this past year. What an awesome hobby....and hey...I even get to work with you!!!! You are amazingly talented :)

Yen
11-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Sometime's it hard to put yourself out there, but it's certainly worth it. I can't believe the great adventure I've had this past year. What an awesome hobby....and hey...I even get to work with you!!!! You are amazingly talented :)

Yes,Kim! It's hard to put yourself out there but you'll never know if you won't try:) And it's great to work with you too! I'm a fan of yours :)

maybeyousee
11-25-2006, 10:01 PM
I can't remember how many exactly. Definitely less than the teams I am on - so I'm happy. I do remember that the times I have gotten a rejection letter, it was really nice and I didn't feel bad about it at all. There were two that didn't send out any sort of letter - those really hurt, and of course I was left wondering for days whether or not I had gotten on until I saw the list posted. Robin Carlton and Jan Crowley were even nice enough to send us something just for applying! (Jan actually even invited me to the team a while later, so don't give up hope!)
Now that I am submitting to magazines I am having to get used to those rejection letters or non-answers. But the thrill of getting something in is definitely worth it!
And anyways, you rock in my opinion, Yen!!

Inkspots
11-25-2006, 10:08 PM
There were two that didn't send out any sort of letter - those really hurt, and of course I was left wondering for days whether or not I had gotten on until I saw the list posted.

Yes, that is worse than getting the rejection letter, not getting any response at all. I've gotten a couple of those too. It made me wonder if they got my application at all until I go through old e-mails and see their thank-you-for-sending-in-your-application message:(

I will say that it is REALLY nice when you apply to a team, aren't accepted, but they come back to you later to be a part.

PlumTuckered
11-25-2006, 10:26 PM
I've been turned down 3 times. I can't say I wasn't bummed about it cause I really wanted to work with their designs but I didn't think of myself as a failure. My style or should I say styles are all over the place, my mood/mindset determines how my layout will come out so I'm sure I'm not everyone's cup of tea :-)
I think all of you are awesome scrappers!!!!!
Michelle

Kazadoodle
11-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Okay, every CT that I applied for I got the reject letter - LOL - I'm on Sue's team coz we got to know each other through a mutual yahoo group and I'm sure she just felt sorry for me - LOL

I don't tend to apply for CT's anymore - I applied to two newscrew teams and got in - so, obviously, writing is my thing - LOL

But, I have to say, I did love being Fhung's guest CT and I've got another guest gig coming up in the new year, which I'm really looking forward to, and I only got that because I emailed the designer and said - I wanna be on your CT!! LOL

So, what I'm saying - if you like a designer, don't be afraid to contact them and ask!!! With a CT call, it's easy to overlook someone, even if you don't mean to.

EdelineMarta
11-26-2006, 01:15 AM
LOL... i got turned down so many many times.. it doesn't bother me..
I even email a designer and got no reply at all.. so I just think they don't need another CT. And forget about it.. never take it personally at all..

But now I'm having fun with what I have now.. and if I applied it would be as Guest CT.And all I wanted now is to be on a Store CT.. that's it and I'm good ;)

juliebee70
11-26-2006, 01:44 AM
I've been turned down 4 times and weirdly enough, I've been turned down by some newer designers and accepted by some hot experienced top designers. So, if a scrapper has applied to start-up designers and not been accepted, don't let that discourage you from applying for those experienced designers!! You never know what they are looking for!

sasbok
11-26-2006, 02:34 AM
As far as I remember, twice. But I haven't applied to a whole lot of CT calls. And the ones that turned me down were designers that probably got over 200 applicants or so, so I wasn't to dissapointed.

Bunster
11-26-2006, 03:12 AM
I am really selective about applying for CT's. I only apply for ones I would give my right arm to be on and ones to which my style suits. I am absolutely thrilled to be working with some fantastic designers. So when I am turned down I can put it down to not being good enough or not being right for their style. I have had a few private invites too..which is lovely.

That said, as much as it hurts to be turned down there is nothing worse than a recent experience when I applied for a CT and they didn't even have the courtesy to let me know. (I checked my spam filters TWICE...every day.. LOL) I put an awful lot of time and effort into that application and to not even get a thanks but no thanks.... I must admit I am still seething. I used to really like their stuff, but I am so angry by their rudeness right now I can't bring myself to buy any more of their stuff.

Phew *rant* over - that was therapeutic! LOL