PDA

View Full Version : What is your dream PC?

~Margie~
11-25-2006, 01:49 PM
I think it's time to upgrade to a bigger and better PC. My computer is about 2 years old and Photoshop runs SO slow!

Any suggestions on what I should be looking for? What about monitors?

jsikardi
11-25-2006, 03:05 PM
in may i got a 400 gig harddrive - 4 gigs of ram. and I love her. absolutely love her. She's an HP - I named her Brittnay - she's sleek, pretty, fast, and quite easy (no offense to any other brittnay's out there). Seriously - PS and actions have never been so easy!

jsikardi
11-25-2006, 03:06 PM
oh! and - my hubby upgraded to the port thingys on the front - so that my XD and SD memory cards can go into the front slot-thingys. I feel so spoiled, while yet wondering how I even messed with cables and cords before.

GinaMiller
11-25-2006, 03:24 PM
:rofl You named yours. Love it. :lol3

I am enjoying my computer and it runs at lightening-fast speed. My nameless beauty (:lol) was purchased in July. It's a Dell with 2 gigs of RAM and a 320 gig HD. Go for the biggest HD / RAM combo you can get, if you want my opinion. Oh and I looooove my 19" flatscreen monitor.

~Margie~
11-25-2006, 03:26 PM
...I named her Brittnay - she's sleek, pretty, fast, and quite easy (no offense to any other brittnay's out there).

:lol :lol :lol

You are too funny, Jill!

Thanks for the tip on slots up front! I know what you mean, I'm so sick of chords everywhere, and I wouldn't have thought of that!

Wow, 4 gigs of RAM and a 400gb hard drive! Awesome, and that's going on my spec list!!

Jezza
11-25-2006, 03:28 PM
I got a free upgrade to a 19" monitor (Flatscreen) after my 17" had white lines across it. Thank you Samsung ;)

I had mine upgraded for my birthday (And while most bits came out from my old computer) I got another HD in it, some more RAM, and a faster CPU, oh and a MUCH better Video card! :D

Mine's not a "brand" name, it's all bits and pieces of the good hardware stuff :p I'd rather pay more to know what is being put in there, than buy a "name" computer.

IOD - Josie
11-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Great topic! I am also in the market for an upgrade, so i'll be watching. I am going in the direction of an alienware, or a dell, either way with 4 gigs of ram and one of those new processors. I am going to go desktop, and use my ehd for all ps work, so that i can go mobile with my laptop and just snag the ehd along. I'm really paying attention to the ram situation, because as i understand it, you can get setup with the capability to go higher than 4 gigs, but until windows vista is released, you cant use anymore than that, and you can't actually use the full 4 gigs until then either (even though it's installed). I'm not sure about that, it's just the impression i've gotten from what i've read. The thing that is a drag is that i'd be hesitant to switch operating systems all together, especially right when it comes out, cuz you know there will be kinks- so for me, i'm betting that it will be a couple of years before I'll be using more than the 4 gigs of ram and vista.
I'd love to hear more testimonials of 4 gig users:think

dolphncove
11-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Well, I just got a laptop and my old regular pc is on it's last legs. My laptop is lightening fast. I only have 512 gig of ram but I'm going to upgrade to 2 gigs of ram. I only have 256 on this old thing and don't ask me how I've done my digi scrappin on here! lol.
If I decide to get another regular pc I will get a lightenin fast one. Maybe 4 gigs. I've learned...u gotta pay to have good quality! And it's so worth it to me.

Lisa

Karen Aicken
11-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Great question!! After much head scratching, and a post here at DST for HELP, I have decided to upgrade to an iMac. I have always used a PC before though. In my search, I snagged one of the repair techs who was walking by me at Staples. I asked him (off the record) which of the pc towers that were on display would he see the least of. He said that for a high end, you can't beat the new HP. HTH!!

Also when my monitor died about 18 months ago I upgraded to a 19" flatscreen. WOWSA - it is fabulous. I love it! I would be hard pressed to go smaller now.

Good luck!

JHsizzle
11-25-2006, 03:37 PM
ITA about the hard drive/RAM combo -- mine is a Dell with 4G RAM, 320 G hard drive and a dual-core processor. (It actually has two internal drives and one "ghosts" the other, so it's like having a backup but inside the computer.) I also have a 21" flatscreen monitor. I bought this system in September and I'm still in love -- it puts the dog I have at work to shame :-)

The other thing I spent a little more on was the mouse -- it's a cordless Logitech. Apparently, this is one the "gamers" love because it's so fast and precise -- great for digiscrapping!

~Margie~
11-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Oh and I looooove my 19" flatscreen monitor.

Gina, is it a Dell brand monitor? I have a 17" ViewSonic flat screen, and I've been very disappointed with the color. I thought it was the nature of the flat screen, but maybe it's just the brand.

Thanks for your input!

Connie@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-25-2006, 03:39 PM
My sister has a 24" flat panel hi definition (I think) - that she loves to talk about! You can pm her at hejeva

Cost was just over $300. Personally I love my 17" Toshiba laptop with 2 gig RAM. uh huh

~Margie~
11-25-2006, 03:45 PM
...dual-core processor. (It actually has two internal drives and one "ghosts" the other, so it's like having a backup but inside the computer.)

Oh, that sounds like something I need to look into! I'm such a freak about backing things up! I have everything saved 3 times...on my hard drive, on my EHD, and on DVD's.

~Margie~
11-25-2006, 03:47 PM
I'm really paying attention to the ram situation, because as i understand it, you can get setup with the capability to go higher than 4 gigs, but until windows vista is released, you cant use anymore than that, and you can't actually use the full 4 gigs until then either (even though it's installed).

That's something I'll definitely be researching further, Josie! Thanks for the info!

meems
11-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Can I jump in here? What about processor speed (or whatever it is called)? How does that work in relation to RAM?

Oh and I do agree flat panel monitors are nice! We only have 17" but I do like it.

Candice
11-25-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm very happy with my computer.
It is 4GB ram, 500GB HD, Dual Pentium chip. It is super fast! I also get my computers built for me custom at a local shop here in Vancouver and am always so happy with them.
My screen is a 24" wide screen Dell and I love it!

Candice
11-25-2006, 05:02 PM
My sister has a 24" flat panel hi definition (I think) - that she loves to talk about! You can pm her at hejeva

Cost was just over $300. Personally I love my 17" Toshiba laptop with 2 gig RAM. uh huh

That is a really great price for a 24"! I got mine about 4 months ago at costco.ca and paid $900 on sale, but now I see it on sale again at costco for just under $800.

~Margie~
11-25-2006, 05:18 PM

Cost was just over $300.

Wow, I didn't know they came that big! Thanks, I'll pm her!

Nettio
11-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Can I jump in here? What about processor speed (or whatever it is called)? How does that work in relation to RAM?

Oh and I do agree flat panel monitors are nice! We only have 17" but I do like it.

See the processor speed is one of the first things I'd look at. My laptop has 1.5GB of RAM in it but the poor thing still can't keep up with what I'm doing since the CPU isn't fast enough. And since it's a laptop and I can't just upgrade it. :madness That's definitely one of the things I miss about having a desktop.

~Margie~
11-25-2006, 09:50 PM
See the processor speed is one of the first things I'd look at.

What's the optimum processor speed for digiscrapping?

JHsizzle
11-25-2006, 10:56 PM
My processor speed is 3.20 GHz ...

Margie, if you want more detail on the dual core processor or anything else on the Dell, let me know and I'll pmail you the specs. I did a lot of research before I bought this system and had my IS guy at work also check it out, and I love it!

btw, my monitor is a Dell also and the color is PERFECT. I didn't even have to calibrate it as what I see on the screen is what comes out on my printer! I had a Gateway before ... very disappointing!

Pachimac
11-25-2006, 11:19 PM
My Dream PC is a Mac! LOL!! If I had my druthers, I would buy the MacPro Laptop maxed out to the hilt!!

If it's a desktop, what I think would be optimal for scrapping would be at least a 19" screen, as much RAM as you can afford, high processor speed and TONS of hard drive space for all the kits and scrapbook psd files!

Kazadoodle
11-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Get a Mac! LOL - I love mine and if it could make coffee on demand, it would truly be my dream PC! LOL

Nettio
11-26-2006, 12:36 AM
What's the optimum processor speed for digiscrapping?

LOL No idea! Mine is 1.73 GHz so I guess faster than that. I wasn't scrapping yet when I bought this computer though so that's partly why. Those dual core processors are looking pretty snazzy. ;)

EdelineMarta
11-26-2006, 01:18 AM
my dream PC it would be MAC PRO :)

~Margie~
11-26-2006, 07:49 AM
Once again, thanks for all the input, ladies!

Janie, I've pm'd you. :)

JHsizzle
11-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi Margie -- just emailed you some details on the Dell. Let me know if you have other questions and HTH -- have a great Sunday.

Sierra
11-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Yup I have to agree with a few of you -

My dream pc is a Mac! I switched 1 1/2 years ago. LOVE IT!

Heidi@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-26-2006, 07:10 PM

Need to correct my sister: it's not a 24" flat panel. It is a 20" inch widescreen hi def LCD. Actually I am glad it's not 24" because dh would take it from me and watch his hi-def shows on it. And yes I have gushed over it. When I first got the flat panel, I looked at a lot of my pictures and kits again to see them again.

My laptop is being custom built and the ship date is getting closer. My plan is to set up my laptop and my flat panel and have multiple displays going. I work in 2 virtual desktops now (one for email and surfing and one for scrapping.) When my laptop arrives, then I will have close to 30" inches of window space. I can't wait....

My opinion about hard drives. I don't think you have to go super big. Now that the cost of external hard drives have come down, that is the way I am going. I had max'ed out my current pc and rest of the pc's in my house on hard drives. I do video editing too which take mega space. Hard drives do crash so the bigger they are the more you lose (data and money.)

LoLo
11-27-2006, 11:10 AM
I think I have my dream pc unless they come out w one that makes pizza cuz I am not a coffe kinda girl lol! Ok this summer I purchased 2 Gateway computer's. 1 is a Tablet pc that was perfect for what I need design and scrapbooking wise I didnt have to upgrade anything it came w/ everything included.

Windows Tablet PC Edition

Processor
Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology
Intel® Core™ Duo processor T2050
(1.6 GHz | 2 MB L2 Cache | 533 MHz FSB)

Screen
14-inch Widescreen WXGA TFT with Digitizer and Pen

Memory
1024 MBDDR2 Dual Channel

Video
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT)
Supports up to 128 MB shared video memory

Hard Drive
100 GB SATA Hard Drive (I did not have to upgrade which is good when most notebooks come with 40GB)

Optical Drive
DVD+/-RW Multi-Format Double Layer
Media Reader 4-in-1 Digital Media Manager
Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick-Pro, and MMC

Network
Intel® PRO/Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g (Again another great + I did not need to get anything extra installed)
SecureEasySetup™
10/100/1000 built-in ethernet
56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem

1 FireWire, 3 USB, 1 VGA, 1 MIC, 1 Headphone

** My Desktop....it blows the tablet away so I use it for the heavier loads ;) ** I am contemplating disconnecting it from the internet completely for fear of a virus or something else thats bad hehe.

Windows XP Media Center Edition (Cant live w/ out this now!)

Proecessor
Intel Pentium D Processor 820
Dual Core 64-bit Processor with Intel EM64T Technology
Each core running at 2.8 GHz, 800 MHz FSB

Screen
21" widescreen LCD HD-ready with DCDi (My baby!)
Integrated 4-port usb 2.0 hub
EZPivot auto screen rotation (makes me very happy=)

Memory
1024 MBDDR2 Dual Channel

Video
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Hard Drive
320 GB Sata II

Optical Drive
DVD+/-RW Multi-Format Double Layer
16x DVD-ROM
9-in-1 Memory card reader

TV Tuner
Intel Viiv Technology

Integrated Intel PRO/100 VE Ethernet LAN

Both are Vista capable

I hope you get everything you wish for, good luck on your search Margie!!