PDA

View Full Version : NSBR: Child Modeling

DistressedDiva
11-25-2006, 05:51 PM
I have been considering getting my DD in to modeling, like print ads or things of that sort! She is only 15 months. Everywhere I go strangers tell me she should be in commercials!! LOL! (I know everyone says these things about there kids!!)

I made an appointment with this company who I thought was a talent agency today. We arrived and they LOVED her! Then when it came down to it they wanted $1500 to give us 2 talent agency contacts!!!???!!! WTH?? We left and we were shocked!! I was so excited and then slammed down when they asked for money! I know that a real agency will only get paid when your child has booked a job!

Ok, so what are your opinions on child modeling?? Anyones kids model?? Any advice on how to get started??

TIA!!

maybeyousee
11-25-2006, 05:59 PM
My friend's kids model here in Taiwan all the time. They often need western kids for the commercials. I'm sure it must be different in the States, but she works through 2 agencies. One only takes a commission when the kids get a shoot. The other one made them a portfolio book, which they kind of 'work off' - they just take the money from their shoots until the portfolio is paid for. The kids always have lots of fun doing it and the catalogues are such fun to have and look at.

KariHentzelt
11-25-2006, 07:33 PM
My DS won $900 towards a modelling portfolio from Chan International when we entered him in a contest when he was 2 (to be honest, it was in the West Edmonton Mall.. he just wanted his pitcture taken.. so I said why not?! He ended up winning.. lol) We never ended up pursuing it.. my god-daughter I could SO see modelling.. but it's a harsh industry.. so I don't know!
But here are his pictures.. lol http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=45727&cat=500&ppuser=726

Kazadoodle
11-25-2006, 08:15 PM
I thought about it and then decided against it. The good places wanted money and I just didn't have the cash to give them.

Mine is now 6 years old and people still ask me about whether or not she models - LOL

michelle pearson
11-25-2006, 08:52 PM
I am going for it, we have signed up with a modeling agency here in town and they haven't asked for any money YET.. LOL. Another company wanted me to pay for head shots etc, so I know some companys do ask..

andreavictoria
11-25-2006, 11:37 PM
My huband and I have been considering modeling for our DD, and somewhere down the line someone said that you should NEVER have to pay for someone to represent you. $1500 is a heck of a lot of money. I would do some more research on it to make sure. But from what I have learned...some agencies will charge you for a portfolio and for ZED cards, here in Washington the rate for that is around $600. On top of that some agencies will take commision from what you have heard...roughly 20%.

Hopefully you find enough information to help make the best decision for your cutie pie and your family :)

Coffeebean
11-25-2006, 11:53 PM
My DD was accepted at the top modeling agency in the Seattle area when she was one. They only asked for $300 to cover the cost of her head shots (reasonable) and the photographer gave me a disc with ALL the photos on it. That was awesome. The only bummer...ZoŽ only made it to one audition before she learned to walk and then she would have NONE of it. She would just get mad when we tried to get her to stay in one place. Poo.

dmogs
11-26-2006, 12:35 AM
This is interesting, I have to admit I have considered this for Lexi too, just because she loves the camera so much. I honestly have no idea if I would really want her to do it though, or where to go if I did get serious about it... but it deffinately has crossed my mind a time or two! Good luck to you in finding the right fit for you family and beautiful daughter! :)

DeeZee
11-26-2006, 12:43 AM
We modeled our oldest briefly while living in Japan. She was a great, well-behaved child so we thought it would be fun for her. Uh uh. she hated the clothes they picked out for her, didn't want her hair done and generally acted horribly until they put her in front of the camera. Then she was incredible LOL ... but poor Mama was so stressed from the experience, she decided to retire ;-) Another girl on the same shoot had done tons of shoots and really enjoyed them.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you just don't know 'til you're there LOL! My daughter loved the photography part but she just didn't want all the strangers hovering around her getting her ready. And I wasn't going to force the issue with a 3 year old LOL!

Kazadoodle
11-26-2006, 12:46 AM
So I guess what I'm saying is that you just don't know 'til you're there LOL! !

that's true - LOL. My cousins in Canada had their little girl modeling since she was a baby and when she turned 4 or 5 - she said - I've had enough - don't want to do it anymore.

One of the reaons I never took my DD down that road was because I knew she would hate being told what to wear and what to do!!

suzy
11-26-2006, 05:02 AM
People ask me all the time if my DD's model, and I must admit the thought has crossed my mind, but I dont think they would make it because they both have bad teeth (enamel missing on their front teeth)!! I guess I could get their teeth fixed, but they will be falling out in a couple of years anyway!

I have heard though that you should never have to pay anything until they start getting jobs!

mives121
11-26-2006, 09:36 AM
I'd take her to another agency. A reputable agency won't charge anything if they are truly interested in signing her...that's how it is for adults anyway...I assume it would be the same for children.

DistressedDiva
11-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks for everyone's opinions!!

We know this agency was a scam. Just like many of you said, they will not ask for money to represent her UPFRONT!! They will just take a percentage of her earnings! (once she has a job)

I also know that if your child is under 5 they will not make you take expensive photos or zed cards because they change too much as a child!!

I guess, I will have to do some more homework. I have found some agencies in the area but I am now finding it hard to find one that will represent kids under 5.

rebecca
11-26-2006, 11:49 AM
When my daughter was younger everyone used to look at her pictures and say oooh you need to get her in modeling and somehow it got stuck in her head that she needed to be one. I made her wait a year and a year later she was still pushing for it. I caved and took her to a local agency. Right away they told me stay far away from managers. A reputable agency won't ask you for any money at all. If they think your kid is good enough that is it. You do have to pay for a portfolio but you can go to anyone to have it done or even do your own. They suggest acting/modeling lessons but again that is optional. That is how it should be everything optional if they seriously want your kid then you shouldn't have to pay a thing. Be prepared though if and when your child is in school they have to have great attendance and good grades to continue. Local stuff is slim unless you are in a big city so be prepared to travel too. Luckily at the time I was only a few hours from LA. Good Luck with your daughter :)