PDA

View Full Version : yep, another digi camera thread

mlpieters
11-25-2006, 05:35 PM
sorry gals - but i'm gathering christmas present info.

i'm not ready to go for one of the big boys where you can change lenses and such. but i am ready to upgrade from my crummy digi camera.

i once bookmarked a site from a guy who gave reviews per price range - seem to have lost it.

so - can we talk? :D

Nettio
11-25-2006, 05:38 PM
This is my go-to site: http://www.dpreview.com/. Not sure that's the one you're looking for but you can compare cameras by doing a feature search, which includes price as one of the options.

Just Plain Kristi
11-25-2006, 06:59 PM
I don't know of any comparison sites but I am semi-pro myself and take about a thousand pics a year for my church as a volunteer (not counting the 600-800 more for VBS week!) And I've used a number of makes and models over the years. Here are the big things to look for (IMHO.)

1. Resolution...just about any camera on the market today will print a poster size print easily. We print posters from my little 4MP camera all the time. So unless you're printing life-size portraits or cropping down to some tiny detail you don't need to go overboard for megapixels. I recommend keeping your camera set on the best resolution possible though just for quality's sake.

2. Capture rate...many websites will list how fast a camera processes pictures...that's the delay between shots while the camera is thinking about the picture it's storing. It's much harder to find info on capture speed...that's how long the delay is between pressing that button and actually capturing the picture. Anyone who shoots soccer or babies can tell you how frustrating a slow camera can be. If you aren't ready to commit to a digital SLR which is truly instantaneous, I recommend Kodak Easyshare...as close to instant as you'll get in a point at shoot. My favorite ones have the big Schneider lenses but my family members using the little ones like theirs just fine too.

3. Zoom...high zoom is fun but depending on application you may be paying for extras you don't need. First of all ignore digital zoom completely...only optical zoom counts. Digital zoom is cropping and reduces quality. Second, if you're wanting those higher zoom numbers for anything less than full sunlight be aware that your flash won't go nearly as far as your zoom. And zoom also magnifies shaking so it's harder/slower for the camera to focus at high zoom so get yourself a good tripod for those sports shots.

4. Power...are you prepared to carry a pocketful of AA's around to feed your power hungry camera? Look for quality Lithium-ion rechagable packs over AA's. My Kodak can go all day at VBS (several hundred pictures in 4 hours of solid use) without running out of power...it uses one of the Kodak Klic battery packs.

Looking at my criteria, my current favorites are Kodak Easyshare Z612, any of the P models, or a C model for anyone who doesn't need it for heavy use or novices who don't want to learn settings or anything. My mom has a C model with no zoom and is happy to be able to just point and shoot, literally. I use a now hard to find DX6490 and love it. If I never do need to get another one I'll upgrade to a P model. I no longer even want to go up to a full digital SLR...they weight a ton, you have to buy lenses and such, and my Kodak fulfills my needs wonderfully! :clap

HTH!
kaylaugh

mrs2a50
11-25-2006, 07:12 PM
My fav is http://www.dcresource.com/

heatherly
11-26-2006, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the info Kaylaugh! I have been starting to think about a new camera and I really don't know too much about them. I have an HP photosmart 935 and now I know that it is the slow capture rate that is driving me CRAZY. My husband has been wanting to go for a dSLR but I wonder if something a little simpler (and less expensive) might meet our needs just fine.

Thanks again!

mlpieters
11-26-2006, 06:23 AM
wow kaylaugh - great info. i needed all that! thanks again.

smbirth
11-26-2006, 06:30 AM
:( I have an HP photosmart 935 and now I know that it is the slow capture rate that is driving me CRAZY.

This is what we have too!! Purchased before we really knew what we wanted!! It STINKS!! Slow capture rate and forever eating up batteries!! We need to get something better, but it isnt in the budget for awhile!! :(

To the original poster--- let us know what you end up getting!! I can live vicariously through you!! :D

stayawake
11-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Kaylaugh - I'm my church photographer too! and guess what? I have the SAME CAMERA as you!
I would have to second your vote for going with the Kodak EasyShare. I LOVE mine. It has everything you could possibly want. It's not tiny, but not too big either. It looks impressive and does what you need it to.

Lauren -
I would just recommend you consider your power needs carefully. My friend and I were both shooting a basketball tournament, and I could go the whole day with lots of battery power, she had to change her batter TWICE! I don't remember which camera she had, but that's a lot of Double A's to go through, in my opinion! On my honeymoon a few years ago, I spent a week shooting photos and only had to recharge once. The docking station is tiny so it was no trouble to pack.

mlpieters
11-26-2006, 09:50 AM
i am def stalking the kodak easyshare -- getting up the nerve to ask the hubby gor it now and not wait until it's under the tree! :lol

mlpieters
11-26-2006, 11:13 AM
okey dokey - i took the plunge.

kodak easy share z612.

yee haw!

Just Plain Kristi
11-27-2006, 10:54 AM
All I can say is I wish I got commission from Kodak for every referral...I'd have earned my P850 by now! lol! :lol

kaylaugh