PDA

View Full Version : Garland-exia...help!

brittanylyn
11-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Okay, I have Garland-exia. I bought a lot of it last year for dirt cheap. The thing is, I don't know how to use it in my new place. There are no banisters, mantles, fireplaces, etc. I don't know if I'll end up getting a tree this year, so I'd REALLY like to have the greenery (even if it is fake). Any suggestions about how/where to hang it?

TIA!

Shannon
11-25-2006, 07:14 PM
:lol One year my mom draped garland from each of the paddles on the ceiling fan and then hung a bulb ornament from each paddle as well. So tacky but it was definitely a conversation piece for company. We always tease my Mom that she decorates the home like it's a shopping mall.

You could drape a piece across the wall and then staple your Christmas cards to it.

Line your windows with it.

Line your bathroom mirrors with it (:lol Your young...you're allowed to do funky things like that).

brittanylyn
11-25-2006, 07:21 PM
Line your bathroom mirrors with it (:lol Your young...you're allowed to do funky things like that).

Yes ma'am. ;)

Thanks for the advice.

Shannon
11-25-2006, 07:50 PM
Oh great. Now you've quoted me and I can't go back and fix my typo. :lol3

brittanylyn
11-25-2006, 07:53 PM
LOL! Hasn't this happened before with me/you/us?

I really did that to drive you crazy. I try my hardest.

Rynonut Mom
11-25-2006, 08:03 PM
You could hand it around your doorways, kinda frame them...
I have 2 huge archways that I hang the fake garland from and put white lights in them... very pretty. Then I hang the Christmas cards we received from them!

Karen B
11-25-2006, 08:12 PM
One year when my sister's family had an apartment too small for a tree, she taped a triangle of christmas lights to the wall and they piled the Christmas presents below it! Garland would work just as well.

VickiStegall
11-25-2006, 08:20 PM
I put them over the door ways and draped over the top of the bathroom mirror!

brittanylyn
11-25-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm loving the ideas...I'm just having a hard time getting myself motivated to start implementing them. LOL. I live by myself, in the country....don't get many visitors so sometimes I feel like...what's the use, you know?

3pointers
11-25-2006, 11:31 PM
If you have any hutches or bookcases, etc, put some up on top of them.

Kazadoodle
11-25-2006, 11:34 PM
I'm loving the ideas...I'm just having a hard time getting myself motivated to start implementing them. LOL. I live by myself, in the country....don't get many visitors so sometimes I feel like...what's the use, you know?

Maybe when it's closer to Christmas? I don't decorate until about a week before and totally don't get everyone who decorates at the beginning of December (no offence intended, I just don't get it! LOL - I grew up putting and decorating the tree on Christmas Eve morning)

LindaGB
11-26-2006, 02:40 AM
I have mine over some windows :)

penelope
11-26-2006, 03:06 AM
Due to a crawling, almost walking member of our family, we may not be getting a tree this year and I was thinking of buying this stuff...I was going to drape it over our windows and hang some ornaments on there. Maybe around our benchtop that separates the living area from the kitchen, but she can reach that now...

diannerigdon
11-26-2006, 06:31 AM
Penelope you know what we did? When we had toddlers we just used various Christmas stuffed animal type things and put them on the tree. You can still put up the tree and put your special ornaments up high. If you think the baby won't leave the tree alone maybe purchase a smaller one and put it up on a table?

jax
11-26-2006, 02:54 PM
I don't use alot of garland anymore, only over my kitchen windows this year.

I have alot of ideas for trees when you have little ones. Because of kids & animals we've had all different types of decorations. One year we did just lights & ribbons. Another time we got those cheap paintable plastic ornaments & all of us painted them & made homeade bead ornaments. I've gone & bought plastic ornaments that resemble fancy glass ones. Those cardboard/hardboard glitter ones are awesome too! And you can let the kids touch all those decorations & not worry they will break something & hurt themselves. Sometimes we put the fancy breakable stuff on now, sometimes not. When it's dark & the tree is lit, it's all beautiful!

I still like my nice ornaments that we get & try to find ways to display them. I've glued magnets on the backs & hung them on my metal front door, fridge & stove fan. Alot of them stand on their own, so I have them on shelves. Either set up as a collection (I have alot of snowmen) or tucked near other decorations. I have a tall glass vase of the few handblown glass ornaments I have.