PDA

View Full Version : Drug Addicts??

michelle pearson
11-25-2006, 10:06 PM
I have a question for anyone if they would like to share..

Do you know anyone that has been on drugs? What type of treatment did they receive? Did it work? Did they relapse and how long did it take?

I would really appreciate some guidance here, I am so upset right now and I don't know what to do. I wish I didn't care as much, but I am that type of person that family means the world to me. I know you can't help someone that doesn't want to be helped.

(****Not me**** but drug of choice is smoking crank)

TY to anyone that offers any advice on this very serious subject.. :)

DST Daddy
11-25-2006, 10:56 PM
I have a question for anyone if they would like to share..

Do you know anyone that has been on drugs? What type of treatment did they receive? Did it work? Did they relapse and how long did it take?

I would really appreciate some guidance here, I am so upset right now and I don't know what to do. I wish I didn't care as much, but I am that type of person that family means the world to me. I know you can't help someone that doesn't want to be helped.

(****Not me**** but drug of choice is smoking crank)

TY to anyone that offers any advice on this very serious subject.. :)

michelle, irl i work in corrections and do a great deal of counseling with meth (crank) addicts.

whoever this person is in your life, encourage them to get into treatment immediately. meth is probably the most addictive drug out there right now so the sooner this person stops the better.

it's hard to give specific advice without knowing all the details (and i wouldn't advise posting it publicly). depending on the extent of use, treatment could range from something as casual as narcotics anonymous (n.a.) to a live-in clinic. statistically, a hardcore addict will go through at least 7 different programs before one "sticks" but i have seen lives changed the first time through as well.

feel free to pm me if you'd like to discuss this more. i'd be glad to get resources for your area and put you in touch with the right people.

hang in there - to succeed, addicts need a treatment team and you are a crucial component to recovery. it's that much easier to beat the drug if you're not alone.

Coffeebean
11-25-2006, 10:58 PM
In my younger days I knew quite a few people who smoked that. They pretty much stopped on their own as they got older. From what I could tell (since I didn't do it myself) they seemed more addicted to the drama of it all than the drug. Good luck!

Kazadoodle
11-25-2006, 11:08 PM
DST Daddy pretty much said it all Michelle! I know how tough it can be to see someone you love and care about going through all of this.

Hugs to you!

brittanylyn
11-25-2006, 11:10 PM
My hometown is supposedly the meth capital of the nation. My uncle is addicted. Has been for years. At this point, he is a 50 year-old man that hasn't even met his two grandchildren and hasn't seen his own children in years...and they only live mere miles away. His behavior is beyond erratic. He will stay awake for days at a time, and then sleep for days. He is completely dependent on his parents (my grandparents) for sustenance and survival. He sometimes disappears for days at a time and we have to go look for him. He's been involved in some pretty serious police-related incidents and I'm no longer suprised at what I hear about him. Right now my mom has convinced him to start an out-patient treatment, but it's not going too well. Like anything, there are good days and there are bad days. I pray your situation will only get better...it will be a long road.

AnnetteW
11-25-2006, 11:43 PM
I live in a pretty small town and where I used to live there were some neighbours. Both their sons got to be drug addicts. One died at the age of 24 and the other one is no 33 and he is still a drug addict. He has been admitted several times, but he is constantly falling back. It is just so tragic.

When I was in High School I was on a group that was ment to teach kids about the hazards of getting into drugs. I wish there were better options to treatment here in Norway. Oslo is actually the capital in Europe with most drug addicts and that says a lot because Norway is not a big country.

I think anyone know someone who is using drugs or who have tried it out. Scary really.

Hugs to you.

michelle pearson
11-25-2006, 11:45 PM
TY everyone...

I know this subject is very tough.. I am sure we have all been touched by it a time or two. I have had alot of close contact with that drug with alot of my family members and I have learned that drug is not one to even experiment with. Just takes one time to get hooked.. I would really like to get any information from you dst daddy, I want to be able to help this person as I care so much.

juliebee70
11-26-2006, 12:53 AM
Hugs Michelle... that is really really hard. My ex-husband (after we divorced) was a meth addict and chemist. :( Even thought he was my ex, it was hard to see him go though that. I'm so sorry that someone you love is there. Stay strong (hug)

Cori
11-26-2006, 06:00 AM
(((Michelle)))

My father is addicted to cocaine and has been ever since I was a baby. He has been in and out of prison from the time I was about 5 until now. All in all about 6 times, I guess? I cannot tell you how many times he's gone to treatment and relapsed. Now I am 26 and for the sake of my children I do not speak to my father. I have not in about 2 years.

People say that the best thing you can do for an addict is get them into treatment by any means necessary. I guess that works for some. In my experience it did not work that way. I believe that if an addict is to be successful he/she has to want it for themself.

If you have never watched Intervention on A&E, you definitely should. It comes on tonight at 10 EST. Here is the website... http://www.aetv.com/intervention/

ScrappinRN
11-26-2006, 08:35 AM
People say that the best thing you can do for an addict is get them into treatment by any means necessary. I guess that works for some. In my experience it did not work that way. I believe that if an addict is to be successful he/she has to want it for themself.

If you have never watched Intervention on A&E, you definitely should. It comes on tonight at 10 EST. Here is the website... http://www.aetv.com/intervention/

Intervention is the most powerful show on tv imho. I rarely make it through an entire episode w/o breaking down.

I used to work psych and we detoxed and treated a lot of addicts. I also still see them in my current work because of the huge amount of meth we have in the area.

My brother is also a drug addict, although I don't know what his drug of choice is these days. For the sanity of myself and the protection of my family, we have rare contact with him (which is more than I want to get into on this board). He shows up for Christmas, I load him up with food, and then I usually don't see or hear from him for another year (and he lives <5 miles away from me).

If they can't accept that they have a problem and WANT to get help, they will relapse within days of coming home from treatment. We have a lot of "frequent flyers" come through. What we think is their 'rock bottom' can be miles away from what is their rock bottom.

If you want to talk further, Michelle, feel free to pm me. I see this everyday and have lived it for 20+ years. (((hugs))) I know exactly how frustrated and helpless you feel right now.

K

KariHentzelt
11-26-2006, 09:24 AM
My brother is an addict.. though I am not sure his drug of choice these days either... I do remember he was cutting his crack on my framed grad photo though. I haven't spoken to him in years, my kids don't know him.. not through any laziness or neglect on my part.. that's for sure. I feel bad for my parents.. who are heartbroken. He needs to 'hit bottom' before he can change his life, and all we can do is be there to support him when he does. I don't want to enable him in the meantime.

Ack, it's such a hard one.. I wish you the best though... ((((hugs))))

scrapyardkath
11-26-2006, 09:33 AM
I recommend NARCOTICS ANONYMOUS (http://www.na.org/)

Deanna Tafoya
11-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Myself, I have no experince with drugs. Although I will admit that when I was younger, I did smoke some pot. :eek I know, I know, BAD DEANNA. :( My advise, and you may laugh at me, but on the TV channel A&E they have a new show called "Intervention". I know it sounds silly to go on a TV show, but from what I have seen on that show, they have gotten through to the hardest people. And what does it matter how you get this person off the drugs, just so long as you do. I would really give that a try. I know it is silly and people will probly laugh at me for this post, but I that is the only advice that I know. I will say a prayer for you and whoever this person is. PLEASE let us know how it goes. OK. Take care. :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug :hug
DST is the best place to get some good advice. I know that someone here will be able to help you.

Donna Rafferty
11-26-2006, 09:47 AM
I don't have any experiences or advice, but I will pray for you and your family.

KimChristensen
11-26-2006, 10:14 AM
MIchelle,

I have gone through dealing with a close close family member's heroin addiction, rehab, etc. Feel free to PM me whenever you want. I would rather not go into all the details on here :) But would be more than happy to tell you our story and all I have gone through. It's not an eay road by any means and in all honesty what works for one person doesn't tend to work for another so without details it gets pretty hard to say what to do, etc.

So sorry you are going through this.
Kim