PDA

View Full Version : NSBR: Best Buy FRAUD alert

corina
11-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Hey gals! Just an FYI... I received an email tonight from "info@bestbuy.com" stating that I purchased a new SONY VAIO or whatever that laptop thing is called for $2449.99. When I opened it, my first thought was "oh H#LL NAH... no Mr Corina did NOT go and buy something else... he is soooo in trouble"... then I called to yell at him, but it wasn't him afterall :) I called Best Buy and they said that the email has been going out all day today, no charges were there, and no order was ever processed, but they were looking into "it"!

Anyone else get this?

Coffeebean
11-25-2006, 11:54 PM
No, I didn't get it, but I am cracking up at the "Mr. Corina" comment. LOL!

Kazadoodle
11-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Yep - I felt like replying - hey, thanks for the free Sony thing - LOL

dmogs
11-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Ugh. I have been getting emails like this for a couple weeks, from "best buy," "walmart," and "circuit city." All of them for Sony Viao Laptops.

~ Dani

MommaChocoLatte
11-26-2006, 12:07 AM
About a month or 2 ago the same thing happened thru Walmart.com, I happened to get that one. I believe that you can contact BestBuy and let them know about this, and also to report the email as spam.

Scraptures ~ Mona Minnie
11-26-2006, 12:55 AM
Yep, I got the Circuit City one tonight and just deleted it.

TracyAnn
11-26-2006, 04:15 AM
They come from Dell as well and have been around for quite a few years ... I believe they are a trojan virus so you may want to scan for viruses.

eta this link. HTH

http://www.saltlakecity.bbb.org/alerts/alerts_20061010a.html

suzy
11-26-2006, 04:42 AM
I got one a couple of months ago and freaked out because I thought someone might have used my credit card number to buy electricals, but DH scanned the attachment (supposedly the invoice/receipt) and found a trojan virus in that, so I agree with Tracy - if you opened the attachment you should probably scan for viruses now!

Barb Speck
11-26-2006, 05:19 AM
All spoof - delete, delete, delete. I am so gullible I opened a PayPal one and as I was filling in some info a little light went off and I cancelled and got out. It was a spoof and had I put the info in and sent it I would probably have gotten all my account monies taken along with the possibility of purchases on EBAY. Companies do not send emails except to give you a receipt.

Nettio
11-26-2006, 05:24 AM
There was someone else on DST who asked about a similar email before. Here's a link to that thread: http://www.digishoptalk.com/boards/showthread.php?t=18541&highlight=walmart

And here's the link to info about the emails on McAfee's website: http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=140736

If it is the same email scam, then the attachment is a virus so be careful!

GinaMiller
11-26-2006, 06:11 AM
Poor Mr. Corina............ :rofl

Crecia
11-26-2006, 07:13 AM
We got a similar one at work - it was supposedly from Dell but also for a Sony Vaio - and it went to the partner. To say the least she was NOT impressed :eek And to say trying to explain e-mail hoaxes was to her was hard is quite an understatement :duh So let Mr. C know he wasn't the only one falsly accused LOL

Andrea C.
11-26-2006, 07:49 AM
I got one from Amazon for the same thing, I just sent it to their phishing dept and went on about my day, LOL. It was also for a Vaio

AngelaPowers
11-26-2006, 08:56 AM
I got a similar email last week but for another product, about the same amount...I freaked out thinking someone got a hold of our account info, but realized after reading the email in detail that it was probably a scam and promptly deleted for fear that it was a virus!!!

corina
11-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Hotmail isn't good for much, BUT it did not send the attachment with it last night, so I'm good!