PDA

View Full Version : NSBR: Not-so-Happy-Feet Movie Review

mamakimberly
11-26-2006, 06:22 AM
Has anyone seen Happy Feet?

I know that I posted a few weeks ago about how totally excited my penguin-obsessed little one was about this movie opening.

Well, we saw it and while there were some very cute parts-- I have to say this movie gets a D- from me. Far too long of a movie.

And far too dramatic of a message! Who knew that in the last half (sorry to giveaway the ending! ;)) there would be a very scary conservation message about how humans are destroying the earth? I am all about conservation, that's fine-- but don't put this dark, destructive tone on a little lighthearted kiddie movie about dancing penguins! And if you're going to do it, at least advertise that there will be a deep hidden meaning so I can choose whether or not to pay $9 to sit and watch it!

I can't even explain how this conservation stuff didn't even fit with the movie-- it was ADVERTISED as a cute little movie about a penguin who dances and the rest of his penguin family sings-- and he is tonedeaf. THAT plotline was probably 1/3 of the movie. THAT plotline was adorable. If they had kept that and the cute little Mexican "amigo" penguins, the movie would have been so stinkin' irresistable. Especially because it would have been an hour, tops!

But why does Hollywood have to add a big slew of JUNK to the movie!?!

Anyway, that's my rant. I was reading on Meredith Fenwick's blog and saw her discussion of it and had to come here and share my 2 cents, because I had been so excited for this movie!

Microferk ~ Miki Ferkul
11-26-2006, 06:35 AM
You know what- I agree. That movie had me in tears when they caught him & put him in an aquarium.
My kids still enjoyed it=- but I would have appreciated knowing it wasn't another "Madagascar", but one that served a special interest- no matter how worthy that interest is.

Jana1506
11-26-2006, 06:58 AM
I agree! It just did not fit with the movie and was definitely out of place. It's like adding a 10-minute trailer to the Willy-Wonka-Chocolate-Factory movie about how bad candy is for you. Just wrong!

CheleOh
11-26-2006, 07:01 AM
We all felt the exact same way, Kimberly, and I have teens! We just wanted to see dancing penguins... the conservation plotline was totally forced imo, too. I didn't notice the length of the movie, but I was very disappointed. :(

Chele :)

Crecia
11-26-2006, 07:09 AM
Has anyone seen Happy Feet?

I know that I posted a few weeks ago about how totally excited my penguin-obsessed little one was about this movie opening.

Well, we saw it and while there were some very cute parts-- I have to say this movie gets a D- from me. Far too long of a movie.

And far too dramatic of a message! Who knew that in the last half (sorry to giveaway the ending! ;)) there would be a very scary conservation message about how humans are destroying the earth? I am all about conservation, that's fine-- but don't put this dark, destructive tone on a little lighthearted kiddie movie about dancing penguins! And if you're going to do it, at least advertise that there will be a deep hidden meaning so I can choose whether or not to pay $9 to sit and watch it!

I can't even explain how this conservation stuff didn't even fit with the movie-- it was ADVERTISED as a cute little movie about a penguin who dances and the rest of his penguin family sings-- and he is tonedeaf. THAT plotline was probably 1/3 of the movie. THAT plotline was adorable. If they had kept that and the cute little Mexican "amigo" penguins, the movie would have been so stinkin' irresistable. Especially because it would have been an hour, tops!

But why does Hollywood have to add a big slew of JUNK to the movie!?!

Anyway, that's my rant. I was reading on Meredith Fenwick's blog and saw her discussion of it and had to come here and share my 2 cents, because I had been so excited for this movie!

Thanks for the review Kimberly, I'd heard a simliar review but was still considering taking my son - I'll wait for pay per view now!

CindySimon
11-26-2006, 07:29 AM
I almost took my 5yo yesterday, but I saw it had a PG rating so I had second thoughts. Thanks for the warning! I think I'll wait for it on cable and let the 7yo watch it on her own.

Lauren Grier
11-26-2006, 08:15 AM
We saw the movie a week or so ago.. I didn't think it was BAD, but I do agree that they tried to jam far too many *issues* into it for a kid movie. Connor obviously didn't grasp the content- and was TERRIFIED during the scene with the killer whales (like jumped out his seat and onto my lap).. and he watches animal planet all the time you know, plenty of animals eating each other (haha) but he could just sense it wasn't a *typical* scene.
All in all I thought it was a good movie- but it wasn't marketed properly. It wasn't a *happy kid movie* for sure.. BUT I HATE the happy kid movies haha so that's prolly why I wasn't overly bothered.

JeanellePaige
11-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up! I like when I get reviews before letting kids watch movies. I wish I would have had a heads up before I let them watch The Cat in the Hat movie with Mike Meyers. :(

cheribear
11-26-2006, 08:21 AM
My SIL is taking my nephew to the movies tomorrow and had planned to see either this one or Flushed Away. So, Flushed Away? If something's going to go on an environmental save-the-earth rant, my money would have been on "Flushed Away" :lol:

meredith
11-26-2006, 08:23 AM
We saw the movie a week or so ago.. I didn't think it was BAD, but I do agree that they tried to jam far too many *issues* into it for a kid movie. Connor obviously didn't grasp the content- and was TERRIFIED during the scene with the killer whales (like jumped out his seat and onto my lap).. and he watches animal planet all the time you know, plenty of animals eating each other (haha) but he could just sense it wasn't a *typical* scene.

The killer whale scene REALLY bothered me because it was never made clear just what they were trying to do with the poor penguins!

Thanks for posting about this, I was just so shocked at the ending, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought this about this movie!!!

Genevieve
11-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah. AGENDA. That's all I have to say. LOL

SaraAmarie
11-26-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm glad you posted! My 2yo LOVED the previews. They definitely make it look like a happy innocent little kiddie movie!

lunafaerie
11-26-2006, 09:10 AM
Oh wow so sad you didn't like it. Nothing like going into a movie a movie and not getting what you expected huh!!

Actually, I didn't the the message was junk or too much at all, and my family really enjoyed it. Just thought I'd put my review out there too.

I can see how if you were expecting something different you might be disappointed though.

MelissaL88
11-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Kimberly,
ITA! We went to see it yesterday and it was not at all what I expected. My boys liked it ( 7 & 6), but I found that it was not what was advertised. Don't get me wrong...it's not a bad movie, but IMHO, it's not really a kiddie movie.

MelissaL88
11-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Thread hi-jack!
So, Flushed Away? If something's going to go on an environmental save-the-earth rant, my money would have been on "Flushed Away" :lol:

Not so! That is a HYSTERICAL movie! DH & I loved it! :clap :clap :clap
It's got the great theme of family & friends and helping one another. Great movie!

set {hijack} off

cheribear
11-26-2006, 09:31 AM
That's great! I'll tell SIL she should take my nephew to that one instead. He'd have no patience for something that's too long with some deeper message about saving the earth.

MommaChocoLatte
11-26-2006, 09:39 AM
I totally agree with you Kimberly! It was also way too long for a "children's" movie.. my older kids sat through it but my 2 yr old got restless about half way thru and told my mom "I want to get out of here!" Direct quote lol.

Pachimac
11-26-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm so glad you posted this. I am so sick of Hollywood pushing their agendas and trying to get our kids on board earlier and earlier. I should have known with Robin Williams involved in a kid's movie that it was more than just a cute Penguin movie. :-(

I want to add here that I am all for conservation and I teach it to Melissa - I just don't want Hollywood cramming THEIR version down my kid's throat.

We won't be going to see it. Melissa is still young enough that we can redirect her to something else - like the National Geographic Singing Penguins Christmas DVD that I bought her - she just wants penguins - not necessarily this movie! LOL

ang517
11-26-2006, 10:45 AM
Very interesting! I never quite got what the heck this movie was about from the previews, not that I took the time to investigate either. Just earlier today DH asked DD if she wanted to see it and she said NO. She wants to see Flushed Away and Santa Clause 3... FINE with us!!!

Thanks for the scoop Kimberly & ladies!

dmogs
11-26-2006, 11:13 AM
Oh wow, I am so glad I saw this! We were planning to take Lexi to see this tomorrow. I am bummed, it DID look cute, but she is much to young for this kind of content. It does upset me that there is NO mention of it in the previews at ALL! Its like they are trying to sneak it in on us. :(

There is a great site, a fellow digishop girl linked to back in another movie thread, I remembered it and went to check it out again, really great, DETAILED movie reviews!

http://www.kids-in-mind.com/

~ Dani

A. Mooney
11-26-2006, 11:43 AM
I'm so glad I saw this thread. I had planned on taking my four year old dd but will pass now. Thanks!

brechasemom
11-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Why oh Why didn't I see this thread yesterday before I went and spend $33.50 for my family to see this movie? (think of all the digi supplies I could have gotten for that amount!!) I completely agree Kimberly, my 7 year old enjoyed it because he didn't "get" it but I was very disappointed that it wasn't the cute, happy hearted, feel good movie that they portray it to be in the previews. I was expecting to see cute, happy dancing penguins and that was such a small part of this movie. Live and learn, If I had it to do over again, I would wait for it to come out on DVD and pay a fraction of what I paid.

Jezza
11-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Oh my :( Some of this isn't sounding very HAPPY :-/

I didn't read most of the give-away parts because I want to see this movie for myself. Or am hoping to, because I am *hopefully* getting free tickets for it. Though, having just read some of your own personal reviews, i'm not getting overly excited about it :(

Over here, it's apparently done really well in the box office, or so I have heard, and knocked Borat off the top (Or had done at one stage of it first having been opened in the movies!)

riroo
11-26-2006, 01:42 PM
We saw this today. Not really the movie that I thought I would see from all the trailers. A bit disappointing.

Nettio
11-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Interesting. Every time I saw this preview I kept thinking it looked so lame and completely without a plot. I couldn't figure out how they were going to stretch "dancing penguins" into a full movie. I guess now I know why! :lol

4PeasInMyPod
11-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Wow, I'm so sorry that so many of you were not pleased, it really sucks when you feel like you've wasted your money for about 90 minutes of entertainment.
Having said that, we took our kids and 4 more to see it on Sat. All the kids really loved it! It was part of DS Dakota's birthday party (he's 10). The kids ranged from 2 1/2 to 18, of course the 2 1/2 yr old got restless partway through, but most of the kids were doing the happy feet dance on the way out! Lee

Joedee
11-27-2006, 01:30 AM
We just saw this movie on SAturday Night and while I didnt like the end, which to me seemed more like about 5 minutes, I thought the rest of the movie was totally cute. I LOL about 20 times and my kids (5 of them ranging from 3-13) really enjoyed it.

I dont know if anyone else noticed the religious undertone to the whole "repent now for your evil ways" stuff, but that was about the only thing I didnt really appreciate.