PDA

View Full Version : s/o which do you prefer for rejection? - applicants & designers

Stacey42
11-26-2006, 05:56 AM
This is a spin off from another thread about being rejected from CTs. I noticed some people said they didn't mind not hearing back from the designer & some people commented they were upset at not hearing anything & not learning they had not made the team until the new one was announced. I applied for a lot of teams over a few month period last spring and I experienced of full range of contact options, from no contact whatsoever (leading me to wonder if they even got my email) to a personal note, saying she was sorry there was no room for me, mentioning specific of my layouts she liked and including a coupon for a free kit. So I know from personal experience there is a great variety in responses.

If you apply for CTs, which do you prefer - a personal (or form) email thanking you & saying you did not make it or no rejection email at all? Would you like to receive an email at least thanking you for applying, before the decision is made?

If you are a designer, why do you or don't you contact the people who did not make your team?

I like at least an email acknowledging they received my application. I also like getting notice I didn't make it, or at least a posted deadline for making the choice so I am not left wondering for long periods until the new team is posted

Cori
11-26-2006, 06:05 AM
I voted.

I like to receive an email letting me know if I didn't make it, although it's not really a big deal. If I don't get an email I do like to know a certain date that I can expect a 'Yes' by. That way I know when to stop having OCD email checking syndrome. LOL

Something else I'd like, if there is a certain reason why you didn't choose me... I'd like to have some constructive criticism. But that's just me. :)

Darcy Baldwin
11-26-2006, 06:10 AM
I agree with Cori about getting an email about why you weren't chosen if it's at all possible. But, I know that's pretty unrealistic. But at the least, I'd some acknowledgement of the process..whether it was a notification that I didn't make the team, or that they received my application, or something.

Jana1506
11-26-2006, 06:12 AM
I have not replied to any calls in quite a while so things might have changed. I always appreciated receiving a personal note from the designer thanking me for applying. On some occasions I was even offered a free kit or a discount on a future purchase. That showed respect and appreciation. Those are also the designers I continue to support regardless of not being considered for their team.

IMHO, it is very rude not to at least send a thank you note or an acknowledgement that an application has been received. It makes me question the designer's attitude. Most of those are off my shopping list, period! This is customer service, too!!!

mamakimberly
11-26-2006, 06:14 AM
I email when I get the application and I email when they do or don't make the team.

And I tend to give a goodie or two ;)

mlpieters
11-26-2006, 06:34 AM
although it's hard to hear - i still want the designer to drop me a line saying that i didn't make it.

funny story-

applied
didn't get a response
team started making noises here at DST
dropped the designer a note asking if she got my app
she wrote back asking why i hadn't responded to her email

our emails weren't reaching each other - i'm glad i followed up cuz now i'm apart of her team! woo hoo! :clap

cheribear
11-26-2006, 06:43 AM
I like the email to say its recieved (because I can type email addresses wrong and wondered why I never heard anything) and one to say "I'm sorry but..." Well, I prefer not to get the "I'm sorry, but..." but I like it better than nothing at all.

I really like when the email seems more personal and a goodie thrown in is a really unexpected little bonus, very very much appreciated. I know some people get tons of applicants so I don't expect a personal message but I am impressed when someone takes the time.

I find it hard to feel bad about not getting accepted when I know how many applicants there are - and so a few friendly words works for me.

ETA: either way, I just like to know what's going on. If a designer prefers to only contact the applicants chosen, a note on the call saying when and where the team will be announced would be great. ;)

Andrea C.
11-26-2006, 06:46 AM
I voted for "Sending an e-mail that you got my app" and "Receiving an e-mail saying I didn't make the team"

I vote for both of these for a reason...............the reason for the confirmation e-mail is obvious, I like to know that I did send it and that you did get it, LOL. E-mail can be wonky sometimes and there's nothing like sitting and fretting about an e-mail not going through.

I vote for receiving a "no" e-mail afterwards so that I don't have to keep sitting in a nervous tizzy wondering if I'm going to get it or not. Let me off the hook so I can go back to my regularly scheduled program, LOL! :lol

Lauren Grier
11-26-2006, 07:08 AM
I send 2 emails.. 1 letting them know I received the application & 2nd "the rejection letter" lol that sounds so horrid.

Teresa Victor
11-26-2006, 07:30 AM
I did my CT call the same way I'd like to be treated when I apply :)

Sent an email to let people know the application was received and when the new team would be announced, then sent out thank yous to the gals who didn't make the team this round and a gift for taking the time to apply. :)

Genevieve
11-26-2006, 07:36 AM
I've been on both the giving end and receiving end of rejection, and in both cases, I think it's common decency to let the person know one way or the other. And if it's rejection, obviously, be kind with the wording, and thank them for taking the time to apply.

When I had my call, everyone who applied was awesome, but I just couldn't take everyone. I kept all their apps, and have actually invited some to join after the fact, as I have openings.

Cori
11-26-2006, 07:48 AM
team started making noises here at DST

LOL! That's a cute way of saying that.

ScrappinRN
11-26-2006, 07:54 AM
IMHO, it is very rude not to at least send a thank you note or an acknowledgement that an application has been received. It makes me question the designer's attitude. Most of those are off my shopping list, period! This is customer service, too!!!

ITA. I have applied to several teams where I didn't hear anything...in fact there was just one about a month ago that I finally found on page 2 in the call forum.

I appreciate a 'got it, thanks' and 'no room for you at the inn, thanks' email. The best ever was one designer (not naming names) that pointed out 2 layouts that stood out to her, wrote a long note and then gave a free kit. That was very sweet, and it showed that she actually LOOKED at my galleries and didn't just delete me because she didn't recognize my name or something.

Lindsay
11-26-2006, 08:01 AM
I can only imagine how many apps come in for these calls, so if I get an e-mail, that's wonderful that they took the time to e-mail me, but I don't let it bother me if I don't hear anything.

Donna Rafferty
11-26-2006, 08:05 AM
I think it is always a good idea to respond and let the applicants know you have received their e-mail. I had an application that I did not find in my mailbox until after I had chosen the team, and I felt SO bad that I had not even responded to the message! I since sent the person an apology and offered a free kit from the shoppe. I felt that it was the least I could do after my oversight.

And then again after the applications are reviewed to send out letters to those not chosen. Although it's not pleasant I think it should be done out of courtesy and maybe let them know why they were not chosen. I would also encourage them to keep trying for other teams and offer to let them know about future openings as they become available. After all since they took the time to apply for the position, it's only right to take the time to let them know what's going on and not leave them hanging!

ditzyscrap
11-26-2006, 08:38 AM
As a scrapper - I like receiving just a quick email saying "thanks for your application", just so I know it got there. I also like getting an email when the decision has been made letting me know one way or the other, so I'm not just waiting around wondering, kwim.

As a designer - I was SOOOO bad at sending out the "thanks for your application" letters...if I'd set up a separate account and set it up to send those out automatically, it would have been a lot better, but I didn't think of it until it was too late. The first day of my call I got over 50 applications...I couldn't keep up! I set everyone up in a database, though, so I could check their galleries and stuff, and at the very end I emailed everyone who didn't make it from there and let them know. I let them know that I wasn't taking them on at that time, and I also gave them a coupon for my first collection of Launch Pads for free. I figured it was the least I could do...sure it was a lot of money out of my pocket, technically...but most of them seemed to like that they got something just for applying, and I really did appreciate them all supporting me even if I couldn't take all of them!

Rachel Solenberg
11-26-2006, 08:55 AM
like bree, i didn't realize how difficult it would be to send a "got your application, thanks" email to everyone who applied to my team. but i did send everyone an email saying yes or no at the end of the call, with a gift. i figure: they took the time to apply, so i can take the time to respond.

Hom74
11-26-2006, 09:04 AM
I didn't read the other responses, but I'm sure I'm in my own category lol. I voted Other. I don't mind either way.....don't mind receiving a rejection email (ok...rather have an acceptance lol) or hearing no word at all.

I can imagine already how hard it is that the designers have to look through all the applicants, their answers and their galleries. I already don't know how they can find time to both scrap and design lol. And I can understand that it's a lot of work to send "got your application" emails and "sorry" emails. I know it must be easier for some than others...but I can understand that it may be overwhelming to some.

Also for the 'sorry' emails...sometimes they can be send to the junk/spam folder if there are many recipients to the email....I think it's 5 for some and 15 for others. And I can only imagine how much more work to send 'sorry' emails in smaller batches.

It's already hard for them to decide on their team....to set up emails to those...wait for responses back confirming they are still interested....setting up some sort of forum or group for communication w/their new team....etc, etc, etc.

And I'm sure the people that just got on their new teams can't wait for their first kit to work with!

So I totally understand if a designer decides to put more time and energy into getting her new team going, kwim. Of course everyone appreciates the time and effort some designers put out to send out all those emails.

---------------------
If I were a designer (haha) and knowing other people's responses in the past, I would send an "got your application" email and a "sorry" email (but I may send that after the official announcement of the team). but that's what I would do b/c I'm one of those types of personalities that try to stay on top of it

I mean...there's always so much pressure for designers to announce their new team....like...right after the call officially ended. For some....if they did everything to please everyone the official announcement may not come for another week after they decided if they had to do all these things. Again...every person is different so some processes that are easy for some are not easy for others.

Hom74
11-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Oops...wanted to add something to my already long post...

One of the reasons why I don't mind is that I understand that this isn't a job at a company I'm applying at...it's for a designer (or store spot...which may also only have 1 person w/the added load of sorting this all out). For job interviews...I don't ever recall getting a letter or other type of correspondence AFTER the interview that...."sorry we found another applicant to fill the job opening". I don't think companies EVER do that...do they??? Yes, when I hand in the application or during/after the interview I know that "your resume will be kept on file....blah, blah, blah" but they do NOT take the extra effort to send a 'sorry' response....at least not the typical jobs lol.

So if that's not the 'norm' in the business world for 90% of the jobs positions from companies that have lots of employees and an entire HR/hiring department (most...not all), I'm not personally 'bitter' or feel 'ill-will' (is that a proper word in this situation) when I don't receive any response.

And I do believe that some of these designers receive a high volume in a short amount of time.

And also (man - when will I every shut up lol) I think way back when I was an Administrative Assistant to the top guy at the company. He was very deficient in some areas (lol), but that wasn't his job, kwim. These designers are on their own and I what I expect from them is to design kits....cuz after alll...they are designers. Everyone's skill in other areas (marketing, email replies, etc) is gonna vary.

Again...of course I appreciate the designers that can and do send these courtesy emails out....but I guess I'm just not hating those that can't.

scrapyardkath
11-26-2006, 09:38 AM
I once received an email that I did not make it and it included a pack of items from that designer. I thought that was a very nice touch.

amandajane
11-26-2006, 09:51 AM
I guess I don't really mind either way, though an email to let me know is nice.

But I wish designers would stick to their dates. If you have an end date for submissions, I don't think you should announce your team before that date. And, I think you should announce the team within a week of the end date, so people are not left hanging.

kygirl
11-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I think an e-mail saying "thanks, but sorry" is just a common courtesy. And, yes, people in the corporate world do send out that kind of letter when hiring. I've sent out hundreds after filling a job position.

One way to make this easier on designers is for them to set up a special folder in their e-mail that they move all applications into as they come in. Then, it's simply a matter of hitting the reply button and pasting a generic message.

simplyred
11-26-2006, 11:21 AM
For job interviews...I don't ever recall getting a letter or other type of correspondence AFTER the interview that...."sorry we found another applicant to fill the job opening". I don't think companies EVER do that...do they???

As a matter of fact, many large companies do send a "received your resume, nothing for you now, we'll keep your resume on file" type of letter.

scarletheels
11-26-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm glad I read this thread. As an applicant, I don't expect an email stating my app was received but I do want a letter to inform me if I didn't make the team (no reason is fine but, of course, welcomed). As a designer, I never thought to send emails to all applicants to let them know I did in fact get their submissions. From reading the posts, in the future, I will definitely send out at least two emails!

Hollie
11-26-2006, 12:28 PM
I think it's nice to get a response saying the app has been received, and a date that the CT members will be posted/notified. I know some designers get sooooooo many applicants that I would never expect a personal note for everything, but just a basic form letter that the designer can send out if the app is received is, to me, realistic. If they do more, that would be great--but again, it isn't expected.

Libby Pritchett
11-26-2006, 12:32 PM
I agree with the majority. It's a nice touch to get a little note (even a form letter is fine) letting me know they received my application. And if they don't want to send out "thanks but no thanks" letters, I would at least like to know what date they're thinking that the decision will be made.

Coming from the paper scrapping world for the past 8 years, I've got to admit that I was a little shocked the first time I applied for a CT and got a note letting me know that they received my application. In all my time working for manufacturers/sites/mags in the paper scrapping industry, I don't recall ever getting a personal note like that. It's a nice change. :)

Kazadoodle
11-26-2006, 12:55 PM
As an applicant, I voted that I like to receive notification I didn't make it. While an acknowledgement of having received my email would be nice, it's not mandatory

As a designer, I voted that I let people know I received their application (coz it's so easy to have emails get lost in the spam folder) and I also let them know if they didn't make it - with my one and only call, I also included a coupon for those who didn't make it.

Laura P
11-26-2006, 01:05 PM
I'd like an e-mail saying that I didn't make it, nothing to fancy just a NO would work.

scribler
11-26-2006, 01:50 PM
One of the reasons why I don't mind is that I understand that this isn't a job at a company I'm applying at...it's for a designer (or store spot...which may also only have 1 person w/the added load of sorting this all out). For job interviews...I don't ever recall getting a letter or other type of correspondence AFTER the interview that...."sorry we found another applicant to fill the job opening". I don't think companies EVER do that...do they??? Yes, when I hand in the application or during/after the interview I know that "your resume will be kept on file....blah, blah, blah" but they do NOT take the extra effort to send a 'sorry' response....at least not the typical jobs lol.

Actually, one of my jobs as director of technical support is interviewing and hiring support techs. I generally send a letter to everyone I interview that is not offered a position, letting them know the position was filled. I thought that was how it normally worked

I haven't applied for a ton of CT positions, but I have applied a few times. I loved it when the designer acknowledged my application, later sent an email with the date the CT would be announced and then followed up with a thank you for applying and a free gift. That was awesome. However, I don't think that's required. But I do prefer to receive some sort of correspondence. Either an email acknowledging my application with a date for the announcement of the team or letter telling me "thanks, but no thanks". Only once have I not received any correspondence. It still bothers me. I have no idea what happened. Did she never receive my application or what? So, I think some sort of acknowledgement is a good idea.

desi
11-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Oops...wanted to add something to my already long post...

One of the reasons why I don't mind is that I understand that this isn't a job at a company I'm applying at...it's for a designer (or store spot...which may also only have 1 person w/the added load of sorting this all out). For job interviews...I don't ever recall getting a letter or other type of correspondence AFTER the interview that...."sorry we found another applicant to fill the job opening". I don't think companies EVER do that...do they???

Many do, most should.

If I take time off of work, buy a new suit, pay for parking at the interview, and send a thank you note after the interview, they better send me a thanks but no thanks letter......

I spent 5 years as an HR rep and I tried my best to send every one notes after the interview.

The CT situation is different though...we are not putting as much effort into the application process for the most part.

sounds odd, but I would rather get an "I got your e-mail" letter than a rejection letter in the end. lets me know you got my application.

Also, I love it when the designer mentions in the post when they will be posting the chosen team... that is helpful.

a tip for the designer, you could also mention in your post if we should expect a personal e-mail or not in th end.

Nettio
11-26-2006, 03:37 PM
I think I prefer getting a "I received your application" response more than a rejection email. That way I know my application went it ok and I can just not think about it anymore. I know the DigiShoppe did this for their recent call and I thought that was really nice.

I do think that if a designer isn't going to send out a rejection email, they should put in the call where and when the team will be announced. If for some reason they can't make that date, then they should make an announcement saying the date has been changed. When you've got all these people anticipating your response, communication is key. ;)

Jill D-Zines
11-26-2006, 04:10 PM
I checked 2 boxes - one as applicant and one as designer, as I've applied for, and been on several CT teams (before I started designing).

As an applicant, I really like to know definatively if I did or did not make the team. Receiving acknowledgement that the designer has received my application would be nice, but I know that must be hard to do - especially "The Big Girls" who would probably get a TON of applicants - so it doesn't bother me at all if I don't receive that. But yeah, a note saying thanks for applying, sorry you didn't make it this time... is, IMO, a common courtesy kind of thing.

Now as a designer, I have not had a real call, I've just personally invited a few ladies to join my team, and I've been blessed that most of them have happily said yes. (And I LOVE the gals I have right now!) I'm still so new that I have actually been afraid to do a real call, for fear that either I'll have to tell someone "no" OR (more likely) not get any/many applicants cuz nobody knows who I am. :p I try to keep my eye on those "who wants to be on a CT" threads, and then see if there are gals in those who I think might like to work with my stuff, then send them a PM. I haven't watched recently, but one of my gals recently 'retired' so I might have to start watching again. ANYway, what I answered in that category is that I would send e-mail notifying people either way... I really think it's just common courtesy that if someone applied for my team, I would acknowledge that and give them an answer - not leave them hanging.

As far as giving them reasons why and/or offering constructive criticism, I don't think I could do that. You just never know how people might respond, and some people might be hurt to hear *why* they weren't "good enough" (for lack of a better way to say it). I think just saying that there were SO many wonderful applicants, but that I HAD to narrow it down as best I could, is an acceptable (and hopefully honest! LOL!) answer.

Just my $.03 :lol

Jill

LovelyMissKait
11-26-2006, 04:14 PM
I think that as a courtesy to the applicant, the designer should write a letter (even if it is a form letter) letting the person know that they were not chosen.