PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for older men

amandagale
11-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Hey everyone!

I always get stumped this time of year when I shop for my husband's grandfather and male relatives!!!!

Other than scrapbooking related gifts - anyone have any budget friendly suggestions for men who seem to have everything????

heatherly
11-26-2006, 10:17 AM
I'd love to hear what others do too. My FIL is the hardest person to buy for!

Kazadoodle
11-26-2006, 01:29 PM
What are their hobbies, if they have any?

My dad used to go fishing and camping so I would get him stuff for that, eg. a down vest, a good rain jacket, a nice thermos - you know the stuff.

The other thing I would suggest is a gift certificate to a hardware store, if that's what they into, or even a gift voucher to a department store. I got one for my dad last year, and was a bit hesitant about it, but he loved it. He'd never had a gift voucher before and had a lot of fun spending it.

BeckyO (AlmostMex)
11-26-2006, 01:47 PM
I totally know where you're coming from. We used to get my paternal grandpa VHS/DVDs of Red Skelton and the 3 Stooges, and he loved him. For my mom's dad who loved to read but had failing eye site, we got him books on tape/CD. It all depends on what their likes are - a Sears gift card would be good because they can get tools or clothes. My mom also got her dad a calendar with pictures from covers of Louis Lamour, his favorite author, and he seemed to really love it. Another idea is a weather radio or indoor/outdoor thermometer or a police scanner - I know some older men like this kind of thing.

Florida Cindy
11-26-2006, 02:06 PM
GIFT CARDS:

out to eat at a restaurant (alot of chains have the gift cards)
pedicure if they have diabetes
lottery tickets (if they like the lottery)
gift card to a bookstore
gift card/certificate for golf (if they like to play)
gift card to the movies
gift card for oil change
gift card/certificate for a gambling or dinner cruise (if you live near water)
if they are "dirty old men" gift certificate to a strip club! LOL

mimsmom
11-26-2006, 02:06 PM
I totally know where you're coming from. We used to get my paternal grandpa VHS/DVDs of Red Skelton and the 3 Stooges, and he loved him. For my mom's dad who loved to read but had failing eye site, we got him books on tape/CD. It all depends on what their likes are - a Sears gift card would be good because they can get tools or clothes. My mom also got her dad a calendar with pictures from covers of Louis Lamour, his favorite author, and he seemed to really love it. Another idea is a weather radio or indoor/outdoor thermometer or a police scanner - I know some older men like this kind of thing.

Those indoor/outdoor therm. are great!
I don't know if you're buying for any beer drinkers, but I bought a bunch of these (http://www.whynotbe.com/beopenbottleopener.html) as stocking stuffers one year and they were a huge hit!!!!

Diginellie
11-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Yup all great ideas DH is 66 and `has everything' and I know that he would love all of these things :)

digiadict
11-26-2006, 02:43 PM
What about a warm pair of socks stuffed with yummy things - like their favourite sweets, a stick of beef jerky...........or useful little things like pens (my dad is always loosing pens!)

amandagale
11-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the ideas! The two that are the hardest are both pretty much house bound - so I think the warm sock idea with goodies might be perfect for them! :) Lottery tickets are usually fun too, so maybe I'll add those to the socks!

All the other ideas are great - I'm going to keep them in mind for FIL and cousins! :)

Jezza
11-26-2006, 11:15 PM
LOL we just usually ask my Dad.

For my Pa - we usually get him a book, some clothes, or a gift voucher.

AnnetteW
11-26-2006, 11:40 PM
A constant nightmare to find gifts for my grandfather, but they love to receive a bottle of wine or some good Sherry. Could that be something. They have almost everything and I find it better to give them something that they can eat or drink. Last year I bought them tickets to the Concert Hall - they went to see the New Years Eve concert and the year before that I bought them gift cards to different restaurants.

chris
11-27-2006, 04:09 AM
It's a headache trying to buy gifts for dh! If I ask him what he'd like it's the
same old thing about not needing anything. If he ever wants something he
usually buys it himself during the year. In the past I've bought all the tool
for him that I needed - drills, jigsaw etc.

My daughters have bought gifts he's really loved -
A nice sweatshirt with his school insignia embroidered on it.
Food baskets (he loves these!);
The usual cheese, sausage one,
A basket filled with cookies and dessert toppings,
Barbecue sauces etc. in a nice desk basket (which I now use)
Gift certificate for two at a favorite restaurant,
Book gift certificate (for books on tapes while driving),
A mixture of foreign beers (I enjoyed some of these)
Tapes of Brit comedies he likes (Monty Python etc.)
Movie tickets for two.
Tickets to a nice show for two.

Wendy
11-27-2006, 04:15 AM
My FIL loves to get the new Farmers Almanac each year and a subscription to Readers Digest.