PDA

View Full Version : Wacom Newbie Help!

Sunshine06
11-26-2006, 11:24 AM
I got a Wacom (THANKS Trouve!!!) and have finally gotten a chance to hook it up & start playing. Except I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I noticed on the boards that a few people have gotten Wacom tablets lately and thought it would be great if some more expereienced users could chime in with some tips.

One thing I'm having a hard time with is consistency - especially in writing. What settings have you found to be the best to get good looking hand writing in your pages?

Any other tricks would be great, too!

Thanks! :)

coloradogigi
11-26-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm interested in hearing the answers to these questions, too. I just ordered one from Amazon! Should arrive next week.

Keely~B
11-26-2006, 12:04 PM
The first thing I'd do is lose your mouse for a couple of days. You'll get used to it pretty quickly. :)

I have a Intuos. One of the best things I've done is to cover it with a heavy duty sheet protector. It's not pretty but it's multi-functional. It gives me a little "grab" but not too much, it doesn't move around like a sheet of paper and it offers great protection for the actual tablet.

I don't remember having to adjust the settings too much. If I'm drawing or writing I usually use a calligraphy brush rather than the standard mechanical. Once you get a feel for it you'll know better what kind of adjustments you'll want to make.

Barb Speck
11-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Well I was moaning and begroaning the fact to a friend that I just couldn't get use to my tablet. She suggested that I tape a piece of paper over the drawing area which helps a lot as you feel like you are drawing or writing on paper rather then a slick surface. The other thing she told me to do is practice, practice, practice because the more you use it the better you'll get at it. I'm on a laptop so that my finger pad is all that I was using to do everything with. If I can only transfer the finger to the pen I'd have it made! LOL

rsk
11-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Oh, I'll be watching for the replies. I got a wacom 3 months back, but I'm a little scared to play with it:blush

Row
11-26-2006, 12:23 PM
I don't know how much they have changed in recent years (my Intuos is about 4 years old) but mine has 2 settings, pen and mouse. Make sure you are using pen mode when trying to draw, doodle or paint.

You can tell which mode you are in by the speed of the cursor, mouse mode is considerably more frantic!

Then in Photoshop, etc you will have several options to use pen pressure. But do make sure the drivers are installed and working properly, because if they aren't the tablet will only work in the most basic of ways.

HTH!

Sunshine06
11-26-2006, 12:55 PM
Hmmm ... I was just practicing writing and doodling and I don't know ... I feel like maybe I'm missing something really basic. My handwriting looks like I'm drunk and my doodles - yikes. In order to do any drawing/writing you have to be in the brush mode, right? I was using a dry media round brush with a width of 9. I can keep practicing, but after trying to write several pages of text, it's not really improving. (And it's not my handwriting in general!) I would never want to put writing or doodles (although that could be my drawing skills in general - LOL!) like this in a LO, so I figure I've GOT to be missing something. Or maybe lots of things!

Thanks for all the input so far! Sounds like there are a lot of us who could use it! :)

IOD - Josie
11-26-2006, 01:38 PM
Hmmm ... I was just practicing writing and doodling and I don't know ... I feel like maybe I'm missing something really basic. My handwriting looks like I'm drunk and my doodles - yikes. In order to do any drawing/writing you have to be in the brush mode, right? I was using a dry media round brush with a width of 9. I can keep practicing, but after trying to write several pages of text, it's not really improving. (And it's not my handwriting in general!) I would never want to put writing or doodles (although that could be my drawing skills in general - LOL!) like this in a LO, so I figure I've GOT to be missing something. Or maybe lots of things!

Thanks for all the input so far! Sounds like there are a lot of us who could use it! :)

Drunk! LOL!:p
Just like the others said, it really takes practice. You will get to where the pen is a natural extension of your hand, because your hand will learn the range and feel of the pen and compensate (sorta bypassing conscious effort), but that takes time. The paper on the tablet is a good thing to try too.
It feels really awkward at first, but you will get used to it. I agree also that you might want to try working exclusively with the pen, instead of the mouse, for everything, at least for a while.

Sunshine06
11-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Drunk! LOL!:p

Well, I DID have some mimosas while we were decorating the tree this morning, but that was hours ago! :D

meems
11-26-2006, 09:34 PM
I just got a Wacom too, the 4x5 Graphire and I was wondering about tips and such too.

I'm curious about if users changed the settings on the pen buttons and/or tablet buttons. I'm wondering if I'm missing something by not changing these :think.

Also I thought the tablet would help with repetitive motion stress but I haven't noticed an improvement. Am I doing something wrong?