PDA

View Full Version : Ok, so I NEVER experienced this with paper scrapping!

JHsizzle
11-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Don't stone me, but I swear I am drowning in digi inspiration! Everywhere I look, I see challenges I want to get involved in!

I'm currently doing the weekly Digi Dare (and I swear I never completed a paper layout each week, so that's awesome!) Now I've found the three weekly challenges at Designer Digitals and then I tripped across the Sweet Shoppe's Sugar Babes gig last night, and that looks so fun, scraplifting one of those gorgeous Jenn Woodbury layouts!

So how do you do it? How do you decide what to participate in and where do you find the time? (And would it help if I actually SCRAPPED and got off this board long enough to focus on something else? lol)

Kazadoodle
11-26-2006, 02:44 PM
LOL Janie - I rarely participate in the challenges, mostly because I know how easily I can overwhelm myself - LOL

Lor
11-26-2006, 03:07 PM
I ditto that! I participate when I can, which is not much. I'm a Mom, full-time Paralegal, and paper & digi scrapper, so needless to say, I squeeze my free time as it is... I figure some day I will be able to participate more though... my day is a coming! :)

Shannon
11-26-2006, 03:28 PM
I just pick and choose which ones I like when I need the inspiration. That was a big part of what I wanted from DST. I had the hardest time remembering who was hosting what challenges where. So the Inspiration Scrap Ideas forum was a big MUST for me!

Hom74
11-26-2006, 04:55 PM
lol - it's tough isn't it lol. There are sooo many challenges I want to do. I create a folder for each one and just do the ones that inspire me at the time I sit down to scrap and depending on the pix or kit I want to use.

Lor
11-26-2006, 05:04 PM
:) Too funny! I have to remind myself, I can't do them all. Although, I feel guilty, if I run out of time and can't squeeze one in. But, digi scrapn' is so addictive... I wanna do it all of the time! And there are sooooo many sites out there... it's very over-whelming... I really just want one or two sites, I can call home. I guess I'm thinkn' I won't feel so over-whelmed then... :think

iamkaren
11-26-2006, 05:07 PM
I have the same problem but I don't have a solution yet. Right now, I'm logging things I want to do in a spreadsheet with due dates. Also, I have a paper journaling book where I write ideas. That way, when I'm away from home and I have free time (I have a lot of wasted time waiting for my kids at various activities) I try to write down ideas for various pages/challenges I want to do.

Karen - I would love to hear more about the folders - how they are organized and what do you put in them (Kits? ideas? Example layouts for inspiration?)?

It would be neat if there was a giant online calendar where all the challenges/crops could be logged (I'm a visual person). I know lots of sites have such a thing, but it would be neat to have one that covers multiple sites.

Jen Beschinski
11-26-2006, 05:58 PM
I haven't been able to keep up but I used to make it a priority in paper scrapping when there would be a gift certificate or freebie to enter for. I walked through hobby lobby for the first time this year yesterday and the price tags were literally sticker shock to me. Not going back!
BUT, my point was, I used to keep track of due dates on a little task list in Outlook. So I could get them done in order of when they were due.

Jen

scrappingjo
11-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Love the idea of logging them in the calendar in outlook, gonna try that if I may. thanks for sharing the idea
have a magical day

ljcrochet
11-26-2006, 06:07 PM
For a while every layout that I did was for a challenge. I would think about what photo I wanted to scrap, and find a challenge to fit that photo. I perfer the challenges that you get something for participating.

mlpieters
11-26-2006, 06:20 PM
my designers keep me pretty busy.

but, i do certain challenges because the challenge intrigues me - i could never keep up with them all - even the digidare girls - i can't do the points and stuff - just being inspired!

Nettio
11-26-2006, 06:28 PM
I have this same problem too. There's so many challenges that look like fun but I just have the worst time keeping track of it all. I am all for a better solution as I'm sure there's lots I'm missing out on!

Shannon
11-26-2006, 10:20 PM
It would be neat if there was a giant online calendar where all the challenges/crops could be logged (I'm a visual person). I know lots of sites have such a thing, but it would be neat to have one that covers multiple sites.

Karen - WE have such a thing silly. :lol

Just Plain Kristi
11-27-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm still pretty new at this so I've been doing challenges as I find time and if they challenge me to learn a new skill. I started my digi scrapping over at Polka Dot Potato (http://www.polkadotpotato.com/catalog/) and have done a few of their challenges...found myself a tutorial last week for getting my text into a circle in PS7. I'm kind of waiting for the next challenge to be posted and may have to start in on them over at Designer Digitals (http://www.designerdigitals.com/) or another place I've been hanging out at Digi Scrap Yard. (http://www.digiscrapyard.co.uk/)

At this point, I'm getting overwhelmed at the number of BB's and galleries out there. I'm lurking a bit to find places where I feel I'll fit in...if I post pics everywhere then there's just no way to keep track! (did I mention the memory problems? No? I must have forgot!) :duh

Anyway, I consider PDP to be my 'home base'...not sure how to go about picking galleries and forums out in the rest of the cyberworld.

kaylaugh

Shannon
11-27-2006, 12:02 PM
(did I mention the memory problems? No? I must have forgot!) :duh

ROFL! :lol

Lor
11-27-2006, 05:01 PM
I guess I would just like a site or two to call home, that feels like home, like I do with my paper scrapn'.(Yay, like a home base... ) So, I don't feel so scattered, bouncing all over the place... But, I have been thinkn'... maybe it's just different in the digi world... I haven't been a digi scrapper for very long, so I guess time will tell. :)

JHsizzle
11-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks for all the replies and ideas. I like the idea of keeping a list -- I'm a sucker for any organizational tool or calendar (lol!).

Laurie, I can relate to what you're saying about finding a digi home, and that's what DST is for me. I am starting to find a few online shops that I really like and that's the source of my problem -- they're all cool and all seem to have great challenges! Perhaps this will change as I get more experience and confidence. One of the things I like most about challenges is that they inspire me to try and learn new techniques or to think about "event" kind of layouts in a different way. (I've really tried to work on my journaling so that it's more meaningful rather than we were here, this is what we did, this is what we ate, blah, blah blah. )

Off now to check the part of the site where all the challenges are listed. Thanks to all for the good discussion. I would love to hear more!