PDA

View Full Version : NSBR: Fashion cycles

Kim2002
11-26-2006, 06:42 PM
While surfing, I stumbled upon the Nordstrom site (http://www.bpnordstrom.com/)and noticed the latest trends are very retro 1980's. I had to laugh because this is the fashion of my early high school years. I never in a million years thought that leg warmers would be making a comeback. But since the skinny pant is so HAWT right now, I suppose a girl needs something to keep those calves warm, eh? LOL :lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Kim2002/BP-Ad.jpg

So I guess since we have already done the bell-bottoms of the 70's and now the leg warmers of the 80's, does that mean that the 90's fashion trends will arrive in 2010?

Jeannie
11-26-2006, 06:47 PM
I have been wondering that myself. I don't mind re-visiting some things of the 80's'. I actually loved the 80's-especially those big shirts!!:lol

Lauren
11-26-2006, 06:47 PM
The amount of headbands I've seen lately scares me. Oh well, at least my hair will finally be out of my face and look fashionable! :lol

It's a bit early to bring back the 90s, I think we'll cycle back to vintage for next season. Maybe classic glamour (40s? maybe even earlier) as a way to say "what were we thinking bringing BACK leg warmers??"

Mar1anneC
11-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Yeah I've seen alot of the leggings under skirts look around here lately and its pretty funny to me. Its like - hey, these are "my" fashions back again.

Jen Beschinski
11-26-2006, 06:59 PM
OH BUBBA NO!!!

But I am excited to hear fingerless gloves! I saw some cute ones at Walmart actually and they had the little mitten covers that you could flip over if you wanted or button back. very cute!
I was thinking I'd have to haul myself over to the Army surplus to find some standard green wool ones. My fingers have started to get sooo cold while I sit at the computer.
Especially my right hand that's on the mouse! LOL It's true!

Jen

GinaMiller
11-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah baby. I love leg warmers. They remind me of dance in the 80's, when I would dream of being one of the Chorus Line dancers. :rofl

Jeannie
11-26-2006, 07:03 PM
The amount of headbands I've seen lately scares me. Oh well, at least my hair will finally be out of my face and look fashionable! :lol

It's a bit early to bring back the 90s, I think we'll cycle back to vintage for next season. Maybe classic glamour (40s? maybe even earlier) as a way to say "what were we thinking bringing BACK leg warmers??"

I would LOVE for classic glamour to come back!!!!!!!:clap

Hollie
11-26-2006, 07:04 PM
I don't know if the 90's will be here in 2010, but I can say that I am sooooooooooooo happy the 80's have returned-LOL! Yeah there were some icky ideas, but I liked a lot of those fashions--especially all the argyle patterns!! Bring it on, I love it!

Hmmm... I think I once took a fashion class in college and I *think* I remember hearing something about fashion trends going in approximately 30 year cycles. Don't know if that is still true--maybe Gina Miller can help with that--she went to FIT, right???

Mish Gasser
11-26-2006, 07:05 PM
I love love love the 80s look! I had to laugh when I was in Target the other day. In the toddler girls area, they had a line of shorts/pants they were calling "retro 80s". Man, do I feel old!

My body isn't built for anything with the word "skinny" in it, but the oversized button down shirts could be flattering...LOL! And I better get my argyle socks back out.

Kim2002
11-26-2006, 07:36 PM
My fingers have started to get sooo cold while I sit at the computer. Especially my right hand that's on the mouse! LOL It's true! Jen

MINE TOO!!

Traci Reed
11-26-2006, 07:54 PM
LOL I think it's funny too! I bought a pair of leg warmers the other day......

for my niece....

who's 5.....

and taking tap/ballet!

hehehehe, that's the only way I'd buy leg warmers! And please, please, please....no NEON!

Hollie
11-26-2006, 08:01 PM
And please, please, please....no NEON!

Haha--that's the main icky one I was thinking of!! I'm sure it will arrive sooner or later...but hopefully later!

Kazadoodle
11-26-2006, 09:08 PM
I thought those three quarter parachute pants were bad enough the first time around, couldn't believe they came back!!!

Shannon
11-26-2006, 09:14 PM
I was wondering the same thing - will the 90's style be here in a few years? What the heck was the 90's style anyway? I can't remember anything specific.

I'm lovin' the 80's comeback though. Express has a ton of really cute 80's style stuff and I've been back 4 times in a month to stock up. :lol

Lauren Grier
11-26-2006, 09:21 PM
Wasn't the 90's filled with a lot of "grunge" and such.. big ole baggy pants, flannel shirts.. I'm not sure I want that to come back haha.

Granted....... I think my husband is still stuck in that style.

I don't mind the 80's stuff... as long as there is no neon.. I have enough embarrassing pics of me as a kid wearing flourescent pink, green & purple all in one outfit.

Shannon
11-26-2006, 09:25 PM
:lol Yeah I could do without the zipper earrings and the lime green telephone cord belt that I had in the 80's.

Nettio
11-26-2006, 09:32 PM
Well I can't say I remember 80s fashion from the first time around, I think I was like 7 when the 80s ended. :lol What I'm trying to figure out is how the fashion industry has managed to convince all these women that straight leg jeans are good - aren't they just tapered jeans? Has no one seen What Not to Wear?? Jeans that go in at the ankle are just not flattering on most people! Seriously, why do we fall for these things. :duh :lol

Leila
11-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Well I can't say I remember 80s fashion from the first time around, I think I was like 7 when the 80s ended. :lol What I'm trying to figure out is how the fashion industry has managed to convince all these women that straight leg jeans are good - aren't they just tapered jeans? Has no one seen What Not to Wear?? Jeans that go in at the ankle are just not flattering on most people! Seriously, why do we fall for these things. :duh :lol

A truly straight legged pant is wonderful!! While I like my boot cut jeans, I LOVE my straight legs more. I refuse to wear a tapered leg though...and I finally got DH out of his! :lol

Pachimac
11-26-2006, 09:40 PM
So then, are those big huge Bonnie Bell Flavored Lip Smackers coming back in style too??? LMAO!

Nettio
11-26-2006, 10:11 PM
A truly straight legged pant is wonderful!! While I like my boot cut jeans, I LOVE my straight legs more. I refuse to wear a tapered leg though...and I finally got DH out of his! :lol

So which ones are the one everyone has started tucking into boots? Skinny jeans? I agree on the true straight leg pants, I just thought the really tight jeans were the ones being referred to as straight leg? I could be totally wrong. Fashion is so confusing. :lol

Leila
11-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Skinny jeans are the tight ones. A good straight leg skims the leg but doesn't grab hold of it and choke the life out of it, lol!!

Nettio
11-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Skinny jeans are the tight ones. A good straight leg skims the leg but doesn't grab hold of it and choke the life out of it, lol!!

Ok got it! I just wasn't up on all the lingo apparently. :lol Right, the straight legs are supposed to make more of a straight line down from the hip, I think.

Kim2002
11-27-2006, 03:58 AM
Yes, that's correct. The stirrup pants of the 80's are now the skinny pants of 2006/07.

Barb Speck
11-27-2006, 04:14 AM
OMG please tell me this is just my age showing because I don't consider the 80's retro-now if you were talking 50's with poodle skirts and backward sweaters and pink appliances that's what retro means to me!! :lol :lol

Stacey42
11-27-2006, 04:17 AM
but are the jeans acid washed? If they are not acid washed denim then they are not truly 80's retro. :)

suzy
11-27-2006, 04:31 AM
I love how it says all these trends are fairly fresh in the fashion world - how old is this woman who wrote this???

As far as Im concerned the 80's is a decade I would rather forget - lol!!! My teen years were not the best!

As for the next trend, my 16yo SIL has been wearing a lot of 40's/50's type dresses so far this summer, so maybe Lauren in right, and we will be seeing more of that as the next big trend.

Nettio
11-27-2006, 04:33 AM
As for the next trend, my 16yo SIL has been wearing a lot of 40's/50's type dresses so far this summer, so maybe Lauren in right, and we will be seeing more of that as the next big trend.

I've noticed a lot of dresses in ads and magazines seem to have this vibe too. I think it's cute, so I'd be all for that.

Yen
11-27-2006, 04:40 AM
I love skinny pants! lol And I love mine :D I love the 80's!!!

mamakimberly
11-27-2006, 04:40 AM
:lol Yeah I could do without the zipper earrings and the lime green telephone cord belt that I had in the 80's.

hehe, what is sad is that kids in the future won't even know what a telephone cord is ;)

AmyTeets
11-27-2006, 04:57 AM
I think the 40s and 50s will come back. The classic Marilyn look in RE to dresses is already back in so.........

Pachimac
11-27-2006, 08:20 AM
NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!! I refuse to believe that the damn stirrup pants are back!!! I used to cut off the damn stirrups cuz I hated them so much!!!!! They hurt my flat feet arch and I thought they looked so geeky!!!! PLEASE tell me it's not the knit kind with the sewn in pleat down the front too - I'll barf!!!!! LMAO

No, I don't have strong feelings about this fashion trend!!

HOWEVER, I LOVE jeans that are tight in the leg and stretch jean leggings. I have skinny legs and a fat tummy so they're PERFECT for me. I've been having a heck of a time finding straight leg/ slim jeans so this trend is happy for me!!!!!

Yes, that's correct. The stirrup pants of the 80's are now the skinny pants of 2006/07.

LindsayLou
11-27-2006, 09:27 AM

I KNOW!!!!!! The skinny jeans only look decent on a small population of people. And then they make even those people look almost anorexic. ICK! :(

I for one, will be sticking with my bootleg jeans for the long haul.... :clap

Kim Higueria
11-27-2006, 09:31 AM
oh man, skinny jeans only look good on my 16 year old sister and she is like 100 lbs and 5'7". My big ol' butt is not going to get anywhere near those things :)

I sure hope the 90's styles stay away for a while, I certainly don't want to bring out my old cargo pants and camo top again :) although I think I was like 13 when I last saw them so i dont' think they would fit lol

heather.rn
11-27-2006, 09:31 AM
I flat out refuse to get sucked back into the 80's fashion or most of the 90's fashion. My neon green Bongo shorts days are LONG over.

Pachimac
11-27-2006, 09:34 AM
As a girl who has slimmer hips, thighs and calves, skinny jeans are the ONLY ones that don't look like I could fit two of me in the legs! Every pair of jeans does that to me unless it is slim legs. In fact, my favorite jeans of ALL time are the ones that taper to the ankle and have a zipper up the back last 3-4 inches to make them form fitting from the knee to the ankle. Those were the most flattering jeans I have ever worn, and I am not a skinny minny by ANY means.

Being a fat woman with stick legs - these and jean leggings are favorites in my wardrobe! LOL! It brings attention to my assets, not my A$$ets! LMAO!

I KNOW!!!!!! The skinny jeans only look decent on a small population of people. And then they make even those people look almost anorexic. ICK! :(

I for one, will be sticking with my bootleg jeans for the long haul.... :clap

Traci Reed
11-27-2006, 09:57 AM
I'm with Kim, it will be bootcuts for me until they're back in style! Of course I liked the "flare" (mini bell bottoms) of the late 90s too! Remember those Gap commercials with Audrey Hepburn for the skinny pants? She is the ONLY one that looked good in those!!!