PDA

View Full Version : ACDSee & EHDs...does it work?

Mish Gasser
11-26-2006, 06:57 PM
I could use info from someone who stores their kits on an external hard drive and also uses ACDSee to organize. I downloaded the program trial version to try it out, and catalogued some stuff from the EHD. When I disconnected it, all the info apparently disappeared.

So my question is...if you use the program with an EHD, can you somehow catalogue your file, disconnec the drive and and still keep the data?

If so...I want to buy it!!

Heidi@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-26-2006, 08:34 PM
I could use info from someone who stores their kits on an external hard drive and also uses ACDSee to organize. I downloaded the program trial version to try it out, and catalogued some stuff from the EHD. When I disconnected it, all the info apparently disappeared.

So my question is...if you use the program with an EHD, can you somehow catalogue your file, disconnec the drive and and still keep the data?

If so...I want to buy it!!

I have everything on my external hard drive (ehd.) I have used ACDSee 9 to catalog a portion of my digital kits on the ehd. When I turn off/disconnect the drive, the catalog stuff is still in the database. I can do a search on the digital kits that are on the ehd and still see the thumbnails of everything. Obviously I can't access the files until I turn/connect the drive again. I would recommend closing down ACDSee before connecting or disconnecting the ehd.

Hope that answer your question!

Anna
11-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Be aware there are some EHD's that ACDSee doesn't recognize for some technical reason that I can't remember LOL. I downloaded a trial but couldn't use it because it wouldn't recognize my EHD, the support personel at ACDSee are working on it, and Connie and her sister (from here at DST) have been wonderful in trying to help me resolve the issue. But for now I have to stick with PS Organizer :( Just a heads up, you might download the trial first to see if it will be a problem for you.

It was also just announced that OScraps and ACDSee have teamed up, so you can get a trial at OScraps (www.Oscraps.com) to see if it will work for you.

Mish Gasser
11-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Oh thanks so much for your answers girls. I am going to try downloading again and play around with it some more, and perhaps it's worth a call to ACDSee to see if my EHD is supported.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer!

Connie@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-27-2006, 04:30 AM
Hey Mish -
Yeah - what my sis said.

Heidi has figured out why Anna's doesn't work & proposed a solution, but we're waiting for ACDSee to confirm. If ACDSee recognized your EHD - you shouldn't have any problems.

In Anna's case - it never has. So the program is acting very consistently. You will be fine. Enjoy

mlpieters
11-27-2006, 04:31 AM
haven't had any problem so far!

anrobe
11-27-2006, 05:52 AM
I store everything on my EHD as well and I haven't had any problems yet!

RatherBscrappin
11-27-2006, 06:29 AM
When everyone says ... they store everything on their EHD ... does that include the ACDSee 9 program? Can I install/run the program from my C: drive & catalog everything from my EHD?

I currently use the PSE 4 Organizer & have a little over 20,000 digi items (not photos) cataloged & tagged - approx. 35G. I would really LUV to try this out, but I'm gettin sick in my tummy just thinking about having to re-tag!

Quick ? Can someone tell me what file formats ACDSee 9 supports - couldn't find that anywhere on their website.

TIA!! :)

Heidi@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-27-2006, 08:58 AM
When everyone says ... they store everything on their EHD ... does that include the ACDSee 9 program? Can I install/run the program from my C: drive & catalog everything from my EHD?

I currently use the PSE 4 Organizer & have a little over 20,000 digi items (not photos) cataloged & tagged - approx. 35G. I would really LUV to try this out, but I'm gettin sick in my tummy just thinking about having to re-tag!

Quick ? Can someone tell me what file formats ACDSee 9 supports - couldn't find that anywhere on their website.

TIA!! :)

By everything on ehd, here is what I mean: my digital kits, my personal photos and my layouts. You must install the software on your regular hard drive (ie. mostly likely c:)

As for transferring your cataloging & tagging from Organizer. From what I can tell. You will not lose your tagging for any of your jpgs but you will for pngs. This is problem with the png format and not with any particular format.

Third, we are in the process of setting up some ACDSee tutorial/tips suggestions over at Oscraps so go check it out.
http://www.oscraps.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=39

As for file formats, here is a list, it doesn't cut and paste quite right but this will give you an idea.

Supported file formats

ACDSee supports over 50 different file formats. The files that you can view or edit and save with ACDSee depend on which file format support plug-ins are installed on your computer.
http://www.digishoptalk.com/boards/Note.bmp
For full format support, please see the system requirements.
Image read support formats
Phase One Lightphase

ANI
Windows animated cursor
Shows cursor animation
ART
AOL ART
Still images
BAY
Casio RAW

BMP
Windows Bitmap
Windows and OS/2; 2/8/16/24/32 bpp; RLE and uncompressed
CNV
Canvas
Thumbnails only
CR2
Canon RAW CR2

CRW
Canon RAW CRW

CUR
Windows cursor

CVX
Canvas
Thumbnails only
DCR
Kodak RAW DCR

DCX
Multiple-page PCX
All sub-types and multiple pages supported
DNG
Digital negative
An open-source archival format for RAW files
DJV
DjVu

EMF
Enhanced Metafile Format
Win32 enhanced placeable metafiles
EPS
Encapsulated PostScript
Displays embedded thumbnail (TIFF formats) and first page only
ERF
Epson RAW

FFF
Imacon RAW

FPX
FlashPix
Multiple resolution support
GIF
Graphics Interchange Format
Single page and animated; 87a and 89a
ICN
AT&T ICN

ICO
Windows icon
Shows multiple resolutions as separate pages
IFF
EA/Amiga Interchange File Format
1-24 bpp, including HAM and HAM8; multiple pages and animations not supported
INT

INTA

JP2
JPEG2000
48-bit support
JPC
JPEG2000
48-bit support
JPG
JPEG JFIF
JFIF and Adobeä CMYK
KDC
Kodakä KDC
Reads both the full image and the embedded thumbnail
MAG
MAG
All sub-types supported
MOS
Creo RAW

MRW
Konica Minolta RAW

NEF
Nikon RAW

ORF
Olympus RAW

PBM
Portable BitMap

PCD
Kodakä PhotoCD
Up to 3072x2048 resolution (16BASE)
PCX
ZSoft Publishers Paintbrush
All sub-types supported
PEF
Pentax RAW PEF

PGM
Portable GrayMap

PIC
SoftImage PIC
All sub-types supported
PCT
Macintosh PICT

PDF
Adobe Acrobat documents
Can read all pages.
PIX
Alias PIX
24 bpp
PNG
Portable Network Graphics
All sub-types supported
PPM
Portable PixMap

PS
Adobe Postscript
First page only
PSD
Adobe PhotoShop Document
RGB, grayscale, duotone, paletted and bi-level
Lab color interpreted as grayscale only
PSP
Paint Shop Pro
Version 5 and version 6
Quick-Time™
.qtif, .qif, .qfi
Support for Apple QuickTime™ still image codecs
RAF
Fujifilm RAW

RAS
Sun Raster
Uncompressed and RLE compressed
RAW
Pentax RAW, Leica RAW, Contax RAW, Casio RAW

RSB
Red Storm image format
All sub-types are supported
SGI
SGI Image Format
8-32 bpp; no colormaps; RLE or uncompressed
SR2
Sony RAW

SRF
Sony RAW

TGA
Targa TGA
All sub-types supported
TIFF
Tag Image File Format
1/2/4/8/12/16 bits per sample, 1-4 samples per pixel
Bilevel/RGB/Paletted/CMYK/YCrCb/LOGL/LOGLUV; Uncompressed/PackBits/LZW//ThunderScan/ SGILog/CCITT/ZIP/NEXT/New-JPEG (no v6.0 JPEG support)
Support for multiple-page documents
Kodak RAW TIFF, Canon RAW TIFF
WBMP
Wireless Bitmap

WMF
Windows Metafile Format
Win 3.x placeable metafiles
XBM
X bitmap

XPM
X pixmap

Image write support formats
BMP
Windows Bitmap
Windows 1/8/24 bpp
GIF
Graphics Interchange Format
Non-interlaced GIF 89a only
IFF
EA/Amiga Interchange File Format
1-24 bpp, including HAM and HAM8; multiple pages and animations not supported
JP2
JPEG2000

JPEG
JPEG JFIF
8 and 24 bpp. Progressive and baseline; adjustable compression factor, subsampling, smoothing and Huffman code optimization
PCX
ZSoft Publishers Paintbrush
8 and 24 bpp; RLE compressed
PNG
Portable Network Graphics
1/4/8 bpp colormapped; 24 bpp RGB
PSD
Adobeä PhotoShop Document
RGB, grayscale, duotone, paletted and bi-level
Lab color interpreted as grayscale only
RAS
Sun Raster
Uncompressed and RLE compressed
RSB
Red Storm image format
All sub-types supported
SGI
SGI Image Format
8-32 bpp; no colormaps; RLE or uncompressed
WBMP
Wireless Bitmap

TGA
Targa TGA
8 and 24 bpp. RLE and uncompressed, top-down and bottom-up
TIFF
Tag Image File Format
1/8/24 bits per pixel, single-page; uncompressed, CCITT3, CCITT4, LZW, Deflate (ZIP), and JPEG compression; Adjustable DPI tags
Archive read support formats
ARJ
ARJ archive
ARJ format
CAB
CAB archive
Microsoft CAB file format
GZ
GZ archive
Unix GZIP (GnuZIP)
LHA
LHA and LZH archives
Lhd, lz4, lh0, lh1, lh4, lh5, lh6, lh7, Lzh
RAR
RAR archive
RAR format
TAR
TAR archive
Unix TAR format
TGZ
TGZ archive
TAR format compressed with GZIP
UU
UU archive
UUEncoded files
ZIP
ZIP archive
Store and Deflate
Archive write support formats
LHA
LHA and LZH archives
Lhd, lz4, lh0, lh1, lh4, lh5, lh6, lh7, Lzh
ZIP
ZIP archive
ZIP format
Video and audio read support formats
AIF
Audio Interchange File Format
AIFC
AIFF
ASF
Active Streaming File - HoTMetaL Pro
AU
A sound file format used on Sun Microsystems or other UNIX computers
AVI
AVI movie format
GSM
Global System for Mobile Audio
M15
Apple MPEG-1 Video
M1A
Apple MPEG-1/2 Audio
M1V
Apple MPEG-1 Video
M2A
Apple Mpeg-1/2 Audio
M3U
MP3 Playlist files
M75
Apple MPEG-1 Video
MOV
QuickTime movie
MP2
MPEG Layer II compressed audio
MP3
MPEG Layer III compressed audio
MPA
Apple MPEG-1/2 Audio
MPEG
MPEG movie or animation file
MPG
MPEG encoded file
MPV
Apple MPEG-1 Video
QCP
Qualcomm PureVoice
QTPF
QuickTime PreFlight Text
SD2
Sound Designer II
SMI
Synchronized Multimedia Integration Language
SMIL
SML
SND
Sound file
SWA
MPEG layer III audio
SWF
Macromedia Flash 4
ULW
ULAW - Sun/NeXT
VFW
Video for Windows
WAV
Sound file
WMV
Windows Metafile

RatherBscrappin
11-27-2006, 12:32 PM
OMGosh Heidi!!! thank you so much for the complete list of supported file formats ... happy to see my raw image files are supported, along with png, psd and tiff's!!

And extremely happy that ACDSee 9 will keep my PSE Organizer tags (jpg files) ... I am going to download the trial version to play with!

Thank you again!!

beaucat
11-27-2006, 12:46 PM
I store my kits on my EHD and ACDSee on my main harddrive - they work fine together. I have a Seagate EHD if that helps.

Angela

Mish Gasser
11-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

RatherBscrappin
11-28-2006, 04:43 AM
I store my kits on my EHD and ACDSee on my main harddrive - they work fine together. I have a Seagate EHD if that helps.

Angela
Seagate EHD here too Angela!!! ... I'm downloading the trial version now!!! And plan to visit O'Scraps (http://www.oscraps.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=d3729a89969e3f86f11e394a2e60cfe7) forum for those recommended tutorials!! ;)

Heidi@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-28-2006, 06:18 AM
The problem with EHD and ACDSee definitely comes down too which brand of EHD you have.
We have confirmed on this thread some Seagates work but not all. I have confirmed Western Digital MyBooks are working perfectly.

RatherBscrappin
11-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Okay, I just finished DL and installing ACDSee 9 - all my digital files are on my Seagate EHD - and when I open ACDSee (with device detector) I can view my images that are on my EHD but they all have a red circle with a slash through them & I can't do anything but view them.

I am trying to orgainze, have set up new categories but I can't get any image(s) to get assigned into them ... can't drag/drop ... edit/categories are grayed out.

... help, what am I doing wrong! I have tried to 'get photos' but my EHD is not recognized.

... so how do I get them tagged from my EHD?? Anyhelp please ... and yes, I've tried the tutorials, but they all seem to be geared towards C: storage only.

Connie@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-28-2006, 07:41 AM
hold on Kenna - I'm here - am going to look.... we have this written down somewhere......

Whew ------ had to find it in Heidi's notes -- try this:

Go to Database -> Exclude Folders
Verify that EHD is not listed in this list. If it is in the list that is your problem. Click on it and select Remove. (So now you really are removing it from the exclude list which means it is being included.) Things should work now.

Try that. If it doesn't work - pm my sister.... hejeva & she can help. She'll probably be on the board today today too.
Hope that helps!

RatherBscrappin
11-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Thanks Connie ... my EHD wasn't listed amongst excluded folders ... I'll try to pm hejeva for help.

Connie@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Ok - Heidi will be around today - she was here earlier.