PDA

View Full Version : NSBR:

justkc
11-26-2006, 07:53 PM
I know that I am annoyingly overzealous when it comes to carseats and car safety but today was why. We got t-boned by a Mercedes SUV that ran a red light. He hit the driver's side - the side curtain airbags deployed and I believe, kept DH and DS1 safe. The boys were properly restrained in their ultra safe seats and did wonderfully. They were scared but safe. We aren't sure if our 2006 Honda Odyssey minivan will be repaired or scrapped. It is only 10 months old and still had a Kelly Blue book value of $28k.

I am livid at the guy that hit us. He didn't even slow down. Our van stopped his big SUV. I am still absolutely stunned that it happened. I alternate being sad for our pretty new van and then so thankful that we were driving such a safe vehicle and the job it did to keep our family safe.

I am hurting, a lot. I hurt as soon as the accident happened - my chest (from the seatbelt), my neck and shoulders are all very sore. Even my jaw hurts. The paramedics wanted to take me to the ER in the ambulance. I even went as far as to get a neck brace on and then they started trying to strap me down on the back board and I freaked out :blush I am claustrophobic, wanted to be with my kids and started having flashbacks to the last time I rode in an ambulance (when I broke my leg and I ended up totally alone on a gurney in the hallway of the ER for SEVEN hours). After having my vitals taken, I refused medical care and will see my own physician in the morning.

I am so frustrated beyond the danger this dude put my family in - we are supposed to leave for vacation a week from today. We are supposed to DRIVE 600+ miles either direction and now we don't have a van or carseats. Thankfully we had just been out to lunch with my parents, grandma and my brother and his family and we were down the street from my parents' house so my brother was able to come over and pick my kids up with his car with carseats that are the right size for my kids and then he took his family home and drove the 45 minutes back to pick us up and drive us home.

As much as all this sucks I am just so grateful and overwhelmed with relief that my family is safe.

justkc
11-26-2006, 07:54 PM
sorry, I forgot to finish the thread subject :duh

Traci Reed
11-26-2006, 07:57 PM
OMG KC! I'm so sorry! Thank GOD your family is all right! Now you know why God has put it on your heart to be so car seat aware! You are definitely making me rethink our carseat choices.

So glad you are ok sweetie....

Hollie
11-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Oh--being in an accident is just awful! But really--sooooooooo great that everyone is okay!!!!! That is just super good! So sorry you have to have all the hassles and soreness though. Hope you can get everything sorted out. Just glad you and your fam are okay!

slkone
11-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Thank God you and your family are OK!

~Julie~
11-26-2006, 08:04 PM
Im sorry you had to go through that.. Im glad everyone is ok

Angela G
11-26-2006, 08:09 PM
I'm sorry you're having to deal with all this. Thank goodness your family is safe!

Leila
11-26-2006, 08:10 PM
OMW!! I'm so glad to hear you're all ok!!

lisabranka
11-26-2006, 08:11 PM
thanks goodness you are all okay!! You should be able to rent something while the insurance plays their game. When we were rear-ended we were able to have a rental car until we were able to replace our car

Lauren Grier
11-26-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm so glad you guys are ok!!! I was in a accident last year & I sat in my car in the middle of the intersection & just cried, repeatedly checking to make sure connor was ok- he hardly even noticed.. he was nice and snug in his carseat, I am thankful every day that he was in the middle, otherwise it would have been a whole different situation as she hit & turned into me, so from the front passenger door straight through to the rear was smashed in. Idiots... :(
Give your kiddos a big squeeze!

Dani~B
11-26-2006, 08:17 PM
OMG so glad you are all OK!!!

jannylynn
11-26-2006, 08:17 PM
oh KC, I'm glad everyone is o.k. and I hope you feel better soon!

Hopefully, they'll get you a rental van soon and you'll be able to use that for your trip! They wanted to give me a car but I held firm on getting a van and they came through for me.

meems
11-26-2006, 08:21 PM
How scary! I'm so glad everyone is OK. That is a bummer about the car and carseats. Hope you can get everything replaced quickly.

Sorashell
11-26-2006, 08:25 PM
It absolutely boggles my mind that people don't put kids in carseats....I actually saw some lady with a 6 month old crawling around the center console of her new Blazer while feeding her 2 year old french fries as he was seat belted in the front seat right next to her (sans booster or anything). oy...

ANYWAYS I'm soooo glad you guys are safe and sound, and I hope that your vacations isn't ruined. :( ((((hugs))))) sweetie, it's just so dangerous out there on the roads. I would have had a really, really hard time not just going up and slapping the sucker that hit us if that was me. ;)

Maisie
11-26-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm so happy you and the kids and dh are ok.
What a scary thing to happen!
I hope the aches and pains go away soon.

cheribear
11-26-2006, 09:04 PM
KC, I am so glad you are all okay. I love your van for keeping all of you safe. And I have no words for the idiot who t-boned you.

justkc
11-26-2006, 09:13 PM
I would have had a really, really hard time not just going up and slapping the sucker that hit us if that was me. ;)
That is what Traci Reed said, well I think she said something about kicking him in the nuts, 5 times. ;)

He actually kept telling me he was sorry and I finally just told him that I wasn't going to tell him it was ok, because it wasn't. He hit my family. My kids were scared and cold and on the side of the road, in the rain because he made a horrible mistake and I wasn't about to help him feel better while we were still in the middle of it all. I am sure he feels awful and it isn't like he did it on purpose but at that moment, forgiveness was not mine to give and all I could think of was my babies.

Inkspots
11-26-2006, 10:53 PM
How scary. Glad you all are OK and I hope your pains are nothing serious.

Darcy Baldwin
11-27-2006, 02:49 AM
Ugh - me, too, KC! I'm so glad that you guys didn't get it worse, because it could've been so much worse! Thank God you guys had the boys in seats. Hope that you can heal quickly and that insurance is an easy thing for you!

mama c
11-27-2006, 03:21 AM
Oh my! That scenario is one of my greatest fears! I'm so glad your family is ok. I hope you aren't sore long and things work out for your vacation.

Myoldanlac
11-27-2006, 03:55 AM
:hug (((hugs))) KC .... glad that you and the boys are ok.

Michelle Underwood
11-27-2006, 04:45 AM
Oh my goodness. I am so glad that you all are okay. ((HUGS)) Things could have turned out so differently...praise God that everything is fine.

mamakimberly
11-27-2006, 04:49 AM
HUGE hugs girl! I know we talked earlier, but I am still SO glad you all are okay!

YES they should give you a rental--- although don't be surprised if they try to give you something tiny and dorky because you "only" have 4 people in the family.

HUGS girl! and so glad you are okayish!! and rest up and don't overdo it this week!

GinaMiller
11-27-2006, 05:28 AM
KC!! That is so terrible. :( I'm so sorry this happened to you guys. Thank God for the safe seats and your safe vehicle. Hang in there... :hug

Rachel Martin
11-27-2006, 05:33 AM
this gives Thanksgiving new glory!! I'm so glad you are all safe! :hug

mrs2a50
11-27-2006, 05:35 AM
I'm so glad everything is okay!

mmy2vce
11-27-2006, 05:56 AM
WOW!!! I was hoping the driver did apologize to you!!!

I actually just recently purchased the 5 point harnesses for my two oldest. After hearing this, I need to get them put in right away!:eek

SaraAmarie
11-27-2006, 06:07 AM
Ooh how scary!! {{Hugs!}} Hope your soreness gets better quickly!

justkc
11-27-2006, 03:20 PM
I actually just recently purchased the 5 point harnesses for my two oldest. After hearing this, I need to get them put in right away!:eek
Yes, yes yes! Please do - I called a number of friends today to encourage them to properly restrain their kids. I cannot imagine how yesterday would have ended if my kids had not been restrained as safe as possible. I will not imagine it, it will crush me.

beaucat
11-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Hugs, KC. Sorry to hear this happened to you. I'm glad that all of you are ok.

Hope the insurance process goes smoothly.

Angela

Just Plain Kristi
11-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Wow, as scary as this is I don't think I'll convince my 17 and 18 year olds to wear 5 point harnesses...lol! At least I've been able to keep them off the road till they were more mature...the 18 year old will get her license next spring and so far the 17 year old has no plans to learn to drive at all. I'm scared to drive anywhere near the high school while those kids are getting out of there as fast as possible every afternoon!

kaylaugh

Hom74
11-27-2006, 04:05 PM
How scary! I'm glad your family is ok. Did the other driver have insurance? Being the safety expert you are...I'm sure you know that those carseats are know no longer 'safe' and that they must be replaced. His insurance should cover that.

LoLo
11-27-2006, 04:32 PM
I hope everyone is ok!! For insurance and legal reasons you should have had the whole family go to the ER. I know that may sound drastic if everything is ok but make sure everyone gets checked out it will be better that way in the end of the settlement and if problems ever do arise later you will be glad you did! Accidents are so scary physically and mentally :hug