PDA

View Full Version : When you find out you're prego, when do you . . .

gingersnaps
11-27-2006, 10:10 AM
I just wanted to hear from all the gals out there who have ever been pregnant . . . tell me, after you find out yourself you are positivley pg- how long do you wait before you tell your family? I'm barley pregnant with #3, and usually wait until like 10-12 weeks before letting my family know - but this time has been different - we have been trying for awhile, and my family has an assumption that i'm trying - anyways, what do you guys do? This time i am so excited after trying for awhile - i'm not sure i can hold it in much longer - and i'm not sure what the point is of doing that anyway??? Do YOU tell - or do you WAIT? LOL? Tell me your stories!

Pachimac
11-27-2006, 10:13 AM
We were TTC for 3.5 years when I got pregnant with Melissa - so we waited about an hour before we told our families...LOL!

I just wanted to hear from all the gals out there who have ever been pregnant . . . tell me, after you find out yourself you are positivley pg- how long do you wait before you tell your family? I'm barley pregnant with #3, and usually wait until like 10-12 weeks before letting my family know - but this time has been different - we have been trying for awhile, and my family has an assumption that i'm trying - anyways, what do you guys do? This time i am so excited after trying for awhile - i'm not sure i can hold it in much longer - and i'm not sure what the point is of doing that anyway??? Do YOU tell - or do you WAIT? LOL? Tell me your stories!

nennikers
11-27-2006, 10:14 AM
First and foremost, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

Nowadays, when we can confirm we're prego so early on, I've found it hard to wait for one second after seeing the test is positive. I vote for telling.

Or, you can wait four more weeks and announce at Christmas. Happy compromise? It's still hard to hold in such exciting news, though!!!!

Have a happy day!

Lauren Grier
11-27-2006, 10:15 AM
I told work around 7 weeks, and family around 14 weeks.

ErinBoBerin
11-27-2006, 10:16 AM
I waited until I was 12 weeks. But she was a suprise :)

Congrats by the way!!!!!

stevenstwins
11-27-2006, 10:16 AM
I told as soon as the test said positive:)

Congrats!!!

Charlene
11-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Yep, I always spill the beans right away too. LOL!!

It KILLED me to wait just a few hours to tell DH I was pregnant with our second. I had a t-shirt ready for our first daughter that said, "I'm a big sister!" and I wanted him to see that as my way of telling him.

Hom74
11-27-2006, 10:19 AM
We were TTC for 3.5 years when I got pregnant with Melissa - so we waited about an hour before we told our families...LOL!
:lol I don't blame you - must've been soooo exciting!

After finding out that I'm pregnant...I've told both DH and my sis pretty instantly (the 1st time sis knew first lol). I think for me I've waited 3 and even 4 months before telling everybody. yeah...I'm pretty late lol. I think w/#2 I waited 4+ mths b/c I wanted to wait until after I got my Ultrasound pix to make the announcement...and then I wanted to wait until Labor Day so that I could send out a Labor Day greeting w/the Ultrasound attached and and the Estimated Due Date. Some people didn't get it lol.

mamakimberly
11-27-2006, 10:19 AM
I told as soon as I knew.

I've had several (5) miscarriages and 2 live babies, and I think that having support after the m/c was crucial and having their understanding of why I was cautious with the girls was also important.

DH has always been there when I've tested-- so no need to tell him any fancy way! LOL!

Shannon
11-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Well first, CONGRATULATIONS!! :clap You must be due late July early August huh? This is the time of year that myself, Gina, Julie, Laura, Amy and Charlene all found out we were pregnant with our August 03 babies. :agree

I tell everyone. Because even if something happens and the pregnancy doesn't stick, I would want people in my life to be there to support me or pray for me. But my life is pretty much an open book so even if I told our neighbor and then a week later I had to tell her that the pregnancy didn't stick, I wouldn't have any shame in sharing that fact. But that is just me. If you're a more private person, I would just say tell your support system (whoever you're close to) that you're expecting and share with everyone else after those first 12 weeks.

AngelaPowers
11-27-2006, 10:21 AM
WooHoo! Congrats to you!!! :clap

The first time I was pregnant we told everyone right away (well, we actually waited a week and a half, but only because it was Father's Day and we thought it would be fun to share the news then).

The second time, we pretty much told everyone after about 6 weeks, but then I lost the baby at 11 weeks.

This time (due in Feb) we waited till I was 14 weeks...but only because I was having complications again and we were not sure how it was going to turn out.

I say shout it out, lol...just kidding. That would be a really FUN Christams surprise to family though :)

EmilyFarnworth
11-27-2006, 10:23 AM
CONGRATULATIONS, Ginger! Very exciting! I'm the type that always had a very hard time not telling people, but it would be fun to tell everyone on Christmas or maybe an earlier family Christmas party.

Kim Higueria
11-27-2006, 10:23 AM
oh how exciting, congratulations!!!

when we got pregnant with DS I couldn't hold it in so we called our families about 10 minutes after we found out :) We're trying right now though and when we do get pregnant again i want to wait a little longer (if I can stand it!) I think waiting until Christmas is a great idea! maybe write it down on a piece of paper and wrap it up in a box to have your family open on christmas day :)

gingersnaps
11-27-2006, 10:24 AM
Oh Kim, i'm so sorry, i can imagine your excitment after that many m/c's . . . and i agree, in the past, i've figured on not telling because "what if i have a m/c" but, i've come to the realization that if something like that did happen . . . i need my family the most! Especially with two children already! :)

Keela
11-27-2006, 10:27 AM
I told right away with all 3 of my boys. Reason being...if I did miscarry, I would need their support. So, I told them. Congratulations!!!

Rachel Martin
11-27-2006, 10:33 AM
I tell everyone. Because even if something happens and the pregnancy doesn't stick, I would want people in my life to be there to support me or pray for me. But my life is pretty much an open book so even if I told our neighbor and then a week later I had to tell her that the pregnancy didn't stick, I wouldn't have any shame in sharing that fact. But that is just me.

Me to a tee!

MommaChocoLatte
11-27-2006, 10:35 AM
CONGRATS!!!

Me, I could never ever contain myself... I'd spill as soon as I started having morning sickness which for me would be like the next day lol. So about 7 wks.

Plus, I show very early on having already had 6 pregnancies (to date) so if I didn't tell my friends and family, they'd figure it out..

Here's a little fun story about finding out about my last baby...

I was feeling flu-ish that day and went to go make a PB n J for my 2 yr old and the smell of the PB made me toss my cookies (that's how I knew), so I was chatting online with my friend and I told her and she MADE me go get a test.

I was like no way, not happening, Im still exclusively nursiing my 6 month old, I'm on the Mini-Pill, I'm so NOT pregnant.

Agreed to pick up a test on my way home from picking up my older 2 boys, had to hide it from them b/c at this point they know what a pregnancy test is.. their last response to Dad saying "Hey how bout another little brother??" them looking at me and saying "AGAIN!?!????!!"

So I get home with the test.. and not 30 seconds after I hide it in the bathroom, the doorbell rings and it's my DAD! OMG!

So Im still online (off and on) with my best friend and she's like just go take it.. Im like Dude my DAD is here!! SHe's like So??

So I quietly went and took it.. came up positive in literally like 30 seconds, big fat PURPLE lines lol. Came back told her it was positive.. Im shaking like a freaking leaf.. I'm ecstatic.. but DH didn't want a 5th (too bad for him! lol) so I was nervous.. I couldn't tell my dad before my DH, plus I really didn't wanna tell my dad til i was in labor LOL!

Got my dad to watch the kids while I went and picked up DH from work so I could tell him in private.

Stopped at the bar picked up a 6 pack (for him not me!), just to soften the blow LOL!

Ok that's enough from me, sorry for hijacking your thread LOL!

Karen B
11-27-2006, 10:38 AM
We waited until we thought I was 12 weeks because I was concerned things weren't going to go well and there is a certain close family member who frequently says the wrong thing and I didn't want to deal with him. I had an extremely easy pregnancy and was about 3 weeks further along than I thought, so I really announced it at about 15 weeks. We had no clue how far along I was until the ultrasound (I'd had a period during the pregnancy and very little nausea).

Jana1506
11-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Congratulations!!!

I've never been good with keeping secrets. I told everyone as soon as I knew - at about 4-5 weeks prego both times. LOL

tlccreates
11-27-2006, 10:44 AM
I always told the fam in person - and since we don't live nearby it had to wait a couple weeks for a visit.

We told our church about #1 when DH went forward to get a flower along with all the other dads on Father's day - lots of smiles

I told fam about #4 by presenting four flowers to my mom and my MIL "one from each grandchild"

CONGRATS and Best wishes

AnnetteW
11-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Congrats on your pregnancy :D

In my first pregnancy I told my familiy the news when I was 12 weeks along.

The second time I didn't tell anyone until I was 15 weeks pregnan :) Don't know why and it wasn't planned.

sarahbcmc
11-27-2006, 10:55 AM
First time I told everyone who would listen as soon as I'd done the test! The second time round I conceived through IUI - nobody knew we were going through it and hubby and I wanted to keep is our secret for as long as possible. When I wasn't drinking alcohol at a big family celebration, people knew something was up!

CONGRATS! go with whatever you want to do. Christmas suprise would be fun!!!

ljcrochet
11-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Congrats.

DH knew as soon as I tested. Two of my closed friends guess that I was pregnant. We told DH's mom and brothers and my parents and sister the weekend after my first ultrasound.
We told dh's dad and other friends after my ultrasound at around 12 weeks.

GinaMiller
11-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Congratulations!!! :clap

We tell our parents and siblings right away.... usually after that first doctor's visit (but my doctor has always seen me around the 6 week mark so it's right as soon as we find out for the most part anyway). Friends and other relatives usually hear around week 10. I always have every intention of waiting until the 12 week mark but can't keep my mouth closed for that long. :lol

Good luck and have fun sharing your news!

stayawake
11-27-2006, 11:00 AM
When I got pregnant, It was hmm... one month after I got married! (and my husband and I waited until we were married, if you know what I mean) so we totally shocked, since we were planning on waiting a year or so. But well, God had other plans I guess! So we waited until I was about 3 months before we told most people, family first then friends. We were still getting used to being MARRIED, I wasn't quite ready for people to talk about my pregnancy yet!! The next time, I probably will only wait six weeks or so. Just because it's nice to share a secret with your husband, I think. Depends on the time of year, and if we will see my husbands family who lives far away, etc.

Congradulations!! In your case, I don't see any reason to wait.

andreavictoria
11-27-2006, 11:03 AM
Congrats to you! I'm sure whatever you decide will be fabulous for you and your family!

My DH and I always waited until we passed the 1st trimester. Of course there were those told right away, like our immediate families. We just wanted to make sure that everything is going well with the pregnancy before we share the joyous news, KWIM?

Congrats again!

meredith
11-27-2006, 11:04 AM
OMG, Ging!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

laurieg
11-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Huge Congratulations!!! :clap

We miscarried our first, but still told early on with the next 3.
We always figured:
1. If people don't know- they can't pray
2. If we miscarried again, I didn't want people saying, "Oh, I didn't even know you were pregnant."

.:Jane:.
11-27-2006, 11:16 AM
A BIG congratulations!

It took us 25 months to conceive our son (injectibles/IUI baby). We told everyone at 6 weeks when we saw the heartbeat. We were very open with everyone about our infertility as it affected our work schedules and social life quite a bit.

Since then, we have experienced 3 miscarriages and undergone 3 failed injectibles/IUI rounds. If we are able to conceive again, we will tell our immediate family once we have a heartbeat but wait on telling friends until we feel able to relax a bit and celebrate ourselves (following level II u/s).

Good luck with your decision and congrats again!! The holidays would certainly be a fun time to share your news.

nana_vg
11-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Speaking as the grandma......

I love to know right away!! It's so exciting, and I love sharing in the excitement with my kids.

Valerie

Iheartjanda
11-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Congratulations!

We waited 12 weeks... just wanted to be sure as we could be :)

Daniellesmama
11-27-2006, 11:29 AM
I had to wait a week to tell my hubby because he was studying for exams. It almost killed me!!

We told our families two weeks later (we had a get together planned already, so we wanted to make a major announcement), and I told work about three weeks after that.

Congrats on your pregnancy - it is such wonderful news!!

traciinreno
11-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Congratulations! We found out we were expecting this time of year with our DD and shared the news at Christmas. It was a wonderful suprise for our extended family. I have a great poem to hand out at Christmas regarding expecting a baby if you are interested...just p.m. :)

This time we found out in April and waited until Mother's Day to share the news with family. I guess I am a sucker for sharing news around a holiday and incorporating the news in somehow.

Huge congrats again. :)

KimChristensen
11-27-2006, 11:43 AM
I usually tell them right away. My aunts and uncles can be pretty disapproving and judgemental though about our growing family and since we live near them this year we aren't telling them until after Christmas so I can just enjoy my holidays. But I told my mom already and will tell my hubby's side tonight, etc. But so my recommendation is to tell them right away. It's fun :) Usually anyways :) lol

ang517
11-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Congratulations!!! I only got to do it once but I told ASAP! I could barely wait the couple of hours til I got home from work!!

We tried for #2 for about 4 years before giving up but I knew I would tell asap again no matter what. I understand why people wait but I would never be able to. The way I see it if something sad were to happen to my pregnancy I would need those people to help me through it so why not let them share all the wonderful excitement as well. That's just me.

gingersnaps
11-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Thanks ladies! I love reading this thread - you are giving me some great thoughts and ideas! :)

mummytothree
11-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Congrats!!!

With our first, she was a surprise (and we weren't married) so we waited about a week to tell everyone. Just enough time for us to come to terms with it.

With our second I think I lasted about a week or two before I told family and then I was almost 16 weeks before I told work.

With our last baby I waited till 14 weeks to tell anyone. My sister was in the mists of getting married and I didn't want to take any of the "attention" away from her, so I waited till after her wedding.

Hollie
11-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Congrats!!!!!

If you want to tell 'em now, I say tell them now!!!! You can always wait the traditional 12-13 weeks with your friends (if you want).

Tell 'em (I mean, you told us :) :))

Keely~B
11-27-2006, 12:26 PM
CONGRATS!! How exciting for you and your family :)

We told our family pretty quickly, we waited a few days at most. The first time around we made it common knowledge toward the 12 week mark. The second time around I started showing about 10 minutes after I pee'd on the stick so it was sooner, maybe 8 or 9 weeks.

desi
11-27-2006, 12:36 PM
I say wait until christmas if you can.

We got pregnant on Thanksgiving 2 years ago and wanted to tell the family at Christmas dinner, but husbands parents refused to come over... they are seperated, and they bi---ed and moaned about coming over and so finally husband told them over the phone and hung up... they called back and told us they would be coming for dinner on Christmas... sad but funny story.

We told our close friends and family at about a month and everyone else after the first ultrasound.

Terri Walsh
11-27-2006, 12:38 PM
CONGRATS! With my son I told my Mother as soon as I got into the car from the Doc.'s office. The way I see it is if something were to happen, I would be telling my Mom and Sister anyways. It's hard for me to keep it a secret I think. Good Luck!

scrappinmichele
11-27-2006, 12:58 PM
We can never wait and we've told them immediately all 4 times so probably when I was about 2 weeks pregnant. LOL! :D

JulieK
11-27-2006, 01:05 PM
With our first, we had decided to wait and not tell til after we heard the heartbeat.... (well, I had already called and told my sister.... but I don't count that!!!) But we visited DH's parents for something the next day, and DH could'nt contain himself and told :) Then we had to go to my Mom's and tell her :) so my sis, DH's parents, my Mom, and 2 friends at school knew (so they could cover for me when I was throwing up) until we heard the HB, and then I tild everyone, just after 10 weeks.... With our second pregnancy, we wanted wait, and did (except my mom and sister, my sis 'cause I tell her everything, my Mom 'cause I was supposed to go skiing with her that weekend, and had to tell her why I couldn't ski....)... Unfortunately we lost that little one, but we hadn't told DH's parents yet (which is good 'cause DH's Mom is a worry-wort and it would have been very difficult, she is wonderful, but it just would have been too hard) and then with our last, I found out Memorial day weekend, and I told my sis, and my best friend at school (again to cover for me when throwing up....) we waited to tell everyone else til we saw the heartbeat at about 7 weeks (an early US 'cause I was a wreck after the last miscarriage). Then we told DH's parents.... I didn't tell school until I went back in the fall, and I was 17 weeks by then :)

Kim2002
11-27-2006, 01:27 PM
I wanted to wait til our sono at 16 weeks, but hubby couldn't contain himself that long and picked up the phone and called everyone within a few days of us finding out. He is so darn impatient. LOL

alb52
11-27-2006, 02:30 PM
we've always waited until i'm into 2nd tri...so around 12-13 wks...

Emmy
11-27-2006, 02:46 PM
I tell immediate family and close friends right away (4-6 weeks along) and then I tell everyone at 8-12 weeks depending on how I'm feeling and if the mood strikes me.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! Babies are awesome. :)

Cori
11-27-2006, 02:54 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

We TTC my first for 2 years before we finally suceeded and I simply could not wait so I told everyone immediately. With my second, she was a surprise, and I didn't find out I was pg w/ her until I was already 3 months... and we told everyone right away then too.

shelleyrae
11-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Congrats!
Ive had 7 pregnancies and 4 babies and with every one I started throwing up at 5 weeks - not just morning sickness but all day and night sickness so hiding it wasnt an option anyway.
All three miscarriages were hard but like Shannon I appreciated the support from those that knew.

Laura P
11-27-2006, 04:00 PM
I was to excited so I told them all as soon as I knew, however we all got the surprise at 16 weeks to find out that it was not only ONE but TWO babies :)

shupe
11-27-2006, 06:40 PM
We miscarried our first, but still told early on with the next 3.
We always figured:
1. If people don't know- they can't pray
2. If we miscarried again, I didn't want people saying, "Oh, I didn't even know you were pregnant."

Same here!
Congrats!!!:clap

4PeasInMyPod
11-27-2006, 07:03 PM
I'm such a blabbermouth, couldn't hold it back for a moment! I always had morning sickness each time (4) even before my period was late, so I was just a few weeks along each time. I'd buy the test as soon as I was late - I just couldn't stand the suspense! Lee

traciinreno
11-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Here is the poem we used for Christmas to share our news. I thought it was a wonderful way to share the news. Use some of the great Christmas kits out there and create a page to print and give them.

I do not have a face to see,
Or put inside a frame.
I do not have soft cheeks to kiss,
I don't yet have a name.
You can't yet hold my tiny hands, 'nor whisper in my ear.
It's still too soon to sing a song, or cuddle me so near.
But all will change come summer time,
That’s when they say I'm due.
I'll be your first grandchild; I can't wait till I meet you.
All I ask between now and then is your patience while I grow.
I promise I'll be worth the wait, because of all the love we'll know.
So have a Merry Christmas
A wish to you from me.
I cannot wait to be a part
Of this great family!

Author Unknown

gingersnaps
11-27-2006, 08:05 PM
AAaaawh! Thankyou so much Traci, that is perfect!

DistressedDiva
11-27-2006, 08:56 PM
CONGRATS!!! I think we waited till we were 7 or 8 weeks along! But I usually here the normal to spill the beans is about 12 weeks!

NishaM
11-27-2006, 09:10 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!! Ginger how very exciting!!
I told DH straight away and parents & sister soon after :) :) told everyone else a month or so later when it sank in to my head that I was really preggie LOL!!
Hugs Nisha

LibbysMommy
11-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Yay!! Congratulations Ginger!! That is just wonderful news!! ((hugs))

As for when we told - the evening that we found out we were pregnant. We just really couldn't keep it to ourselves, lol! :)

Dani~B
11-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Congrats!!!!
I also say wait until Christmas, that would be wonderful news!

My first pg I told everyone right away which was a mc at 9wks. My 2nd one I waited to see heartbeat/ultrasound and he is happy and healthy today :)
If I get pg everyone will know it as soon as I do.

OliveJuice
11-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Ginger!! :wave Congrats!!!!!

I always *try* to wait the 12 weeks....but someone always guesses as I'm puking my guts out my 6 weeks. With our first, all I could eat was cheerios....we were living in SLC at the time, and I came up to stay with my parents while DH went on a ski trip. I packed gallon sized ziplocks full of cheerios in my bag. Somehow, my Mom saw them and was like, "What? You brought your own cheerios?!" And then I started bawling because I was SOOOO sick. :lol And she *knew*.

I'd say, tell the people you love as soon as you feel like the time is right. (That's really no help, is it!)

Congrats again!!

ACE's Wild
11-28-2006, 05:09 AM
We tried for 7 years and ended up having to go through IVF. So, our parents & my twin sister knew about the IVF. They all knew immediately with our positive blood test because they knew when we were being tested. I told work at 10 weeks and told the rest of the family on my brother's birthday, so at about 6 weeks. We told it was twins right away when we found out at 8 weeks.

Congratulations again!! I loved being pregnant, yes, even with twins. It went so well! I hope you have a healthy & uneventful 40 weeks!

Shawna
11-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Congrats Ginger!!

With our first we made our announcement at my husband's college graduation party in May. I think I was about 8 weeks along, it was hard not telling anyone til then cause my parents had been asking for a grandbaby since we got married the August prior! With the second we told pretty much right away, at maybe 5-6 weeks. With this baby I was more like 7-8 weeks cause we wanted to wait to tell everyone in person. Plus I had a friend at work who was about to have her first ultrasound so I wanted to wait til after she found out what she was having since it's her first baby.

Mommy2Talesia
11-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Congratulations, Ginger!

InLoveWithDOTS
11-28-2006, 12:04 PM
My Mom was there when I found out the first time. With the other 3, I am sure I told her right away (although I dont specifically remember how long). I was never much for waiting!

crazymomof7
11-28-2006, 12:07 PM
I can't keep a big thing like that secret for long...not even a day or so! Anyhow....I think it would be cool to tell them at Christmas! Make something creative...like a drawing of a dead bunny (lol) and wrap it up as a gift!

Fontologie (islandmom)
11-28-2006, 12:44 PM
YAY Ginge!!!!! I am sooooooooo, soooooo happy for you!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

With my first two I was about 10 weeks with each. Then I had 2 miscarriages and when we got pg again, it didn't look good, so we waited and I had another miscarriage. Because of that, I was glad we had waited. THEN we went another 2.5 years before we got pg again. Last year (Dec. 23rd to be exact) when we found out we were pg, we immediately told our parents (mine flew in for Christmas and I was having lots of blood tests and ultrasounds, so I HAD to tell them). Everyone else, we waited until I was about 10 weeks and everything was looking good (we didn't even tell our other 2 until 10 wks.)

I think it's different for everyone, every time!!!