PDA

View Full Version : What Anitvirus Software do you use???

Deanna Tafoya
11-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Hey guys.

I am just wondering what antivirus you all use. I am looking for a new antivirus software. What do you all recommend?

Alice Naylor (Okblues Designs)
11-27-2006, 11:02 AM
I prefer Trend Micro's Internet Security, while dh prefers Norton's.

LindaGB
11-27-2006, 11:13 AM
I use AVAST
Very satisfied - have never had any virus
It is free

To protect my pc I also have Ad-Aware (against spyware) and Windows Defender installed
Also free

LoLo
11-27-2006, 11:15 AM
I seem to have a biased opinion and use Norton, some computers come w/ McAfee pre-installed ant it's a real pain to get rid of the footprint if you ever decide to use something else. Trend Micro products are also very good, I got a year free bundled w/ my router if all else fails use PC-cillan. They even have a free scan online .

Zone Alarm, Spy Sweeper and Black Ice defender dont seem to do anything.

There was a really good site I found that did comparisons awhile back but I cant find it at the mo. :think

linjack
11-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Another satisfied Avast user here.I love that it's a free one and I have never had a virus either.

catgrrl
11-27-2006, 11:29 AM
AVG by Grisoft.com

I went w/them after hearing rave reviews and getting increasingly annoyed by what seemed like hourly messages from norton and symantec about expired subscriptions. Used AVG's trial period and let it expire. Got nothing annoying popping up on computer or email, and they have a 2 computer/2yr license, so went w/ it. So I'm good for 2 years :) on both laptop and desktop.

Keely~B
11-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Avast! Best I've ever used.

mmy2vce
11-27-2006, 11:34 AM
funny you should ask this right now...

Just went in to pick up my cpu from the computer repair shop. seems that my other cpu has a funky virus that freezes your mouse and you have to reboot...Norton didn't pick it up! When I asked the guy who repaired my cpu he said that Norton is just awful since Symantac purchased them and they let all the techs go from Norton. A disgruntled employee that was let go leaked the Norton code so all the virus creators now know how to get around Norton...He was also telling me to expect a class action against Symantac soon....

My tech guy told me to get PC-cillin by Trend Micro. I'm also going to do a search:)

LDesjardin
11-27-2006, 11:34 AM
I use AVG's free version and I've been very happy with it.

RatherBscrappin
11-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Another AVG's free version user here!!

For years I've had Norton, but when I downloaded PSE 4, Norton was in direct conflich with it & after days/weeks of talking to techies on both sides, each pointing to the other as 'it's their fault' ... I disabled Norton & went with AVG.

Starting in Jan. 2007 it no longer will be free ... not everything lasts forever right ... but I've been happy with it & will in all likelihood, buy it.

Leila
11-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Trend-Micro's PC-cillin, hands down. I had nothing but problems from both McAfee and Norton. Trend Micro's program is awesome!!

Amanda Heimann (aggiefamily)
11-27-2006, 12:21 PM
I use McAfee and have never had a problem.

mrs2a50
11-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Avast, on the advice of a techie friend. Never had any problems with viruses OR conflicts with other programs.

Glueless Media
11-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Zone alarm security set, antivirus, spyware etc. I also use zoftspy oncea week.

LindsayLou
11-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Hey guys.

I am just wondering what antivirus you all use. I am looking for a new antivirus software. What do you all recommend?

Avast (http://www.avast.com/). It's free and works better than Norton or McAfee ever has for me. I only got it after my computer programmer friend highly recommended it. :agree

Jezza
11-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Trend Micro user here! :) And I got a free upgrade to the 2007 version, and I also use their Spyware (Which is now all included in the 2007 version of Cillin)

Yes - Norton is BAD News (So I've heard) Apparently it's a system resource hog!

diannerigdon
11-27-2006, 01:35 PM
funny you should ask this right now...

funky virus that freezes your mouse and you have to reboot.

Hey this caught my eye! DS's mouse has been acting wonky lately and freezes up but a reboot usually fixes it and guess what? WE use Norton lol. Any more information like a name of that funky virus? Might be worth looking into.

And my Norton is about to expire so I think I might try out this avast - any advice? Should I turn Norton off to try it?

Yvette
11-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Trend Micro's Internet Security - It's the best I've tried - Norton was good earlier on, but the last few have caused me a few problems so I went with Trend Micro and no more problems!

shelleyrae
11-27-2006, 02:28 PM
We've had no problems with McAfee and in over 6 years online I have never had a virus.
Norton is a huge pain ..conflicts with everything and slows your software down considerably

digitalgirl
11-27-2006, 02:39 PM
I used to be with Nortons but have for the last 3 years just had AVG (free version) some of my tech friends describe Nortons as a virus :lol since it's near impossible to eradicate once you have it and I did have this problem in the beginning lol! I have never had a virus and am very happy with AVG. I do occassionally do a free online scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ just to be sure.

Leila
11-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Trend Micro user here! :) And I got a free upgrade to the 2007 version, and I also use their Spyware (Which is now all included in the 2007 version of Cillin)

Yes - Norton is BAD News (So I've heard) Apparently it's a system resource hog!

How'd you manage the free upgrade??

mmy2vce
11-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Actually Dianne, I think it was my older cpu that I was using til my newer cpu was repaired. For some reason the ehd I keep all my digital stuff on was not allowing the older cpu to work...scared me to think I'd lost all my photos and kits!!!:eek

But, I did remove the Norton from my older cpu and replace it with Trend Micro's PC-cillan. I'm going to do the same for my repaired cpu hopefully tonight...unless I fall asleep before I get the chance, :lol.

When I loaded up the PC-cillin, it caught about 5 spywares that were running on my older cpu...Norton never even caught them!!!:think

I'm afraid of what might be running on my newer cpu...:madness

Hey this caught my eye! DS's mouse has been acting wonky lately and freezes up but a reboot usually fixes it and guess what? WE use Norton lol. Any more information like a name of that funky virus? Might be worth looking into.

And my Norton is about to expire so I think I might try out this avast - any advice? Should I turn Norton off to try it?

dolphncove
11-27-2006, 05:53 PM
I must be the only one who didn't like Advast. I tried it and I had problems with it. So I switched back to AVG. Maybe it's just me I don't know lol.

Lisa

BevNPicard
11-27-2006, 06:44 PM
I use McAfee, it comes free with my Comcast internet service and I've never had problems with it. My DD has my old computer and it has the free AVG on it, which is terrific. Years ago I had so many problems with Norton, I never wanted to try it again.

EveRecinella
11-27-2006, 11:43 PM
I use NOD 32 :)

suzy
11-28-2006, 02:03 AM
I also use AVG free and I love it!1

Pamela Gibson
11-28-2006, 04:11 AM
norton is good

Jezza
11-28-2006, 11:44 AM
How'd you manage the free upgrade??

Because I'm a customer I guess?

I just recieved an e-mail from them a few weeks ago stating

As a customer with a current Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2006 subscription (expiring 2007/07/20) you are entitled to a free upgrade to our latest product, PC-cillin Internet Security 2007.

Leila
11-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks! I just got the e-mail about 10 minutes ago. :lol

AmyPunky
11-28-2006, 12:04 PM
I use Avast! ;)

Diginellie
11-28-2006, 12:28 PM
I have been using AVG Free for 2 years and I love it - I love that it does all the checks, scans and updates automatically without me having to remember to do it every few days. :)