PDA

View Full Version : Why do designers jump all over the place?

scrapqueen
11-27-2006, 11:33 AM
this may be a dumb question but why do designers jump all over the place? I find designers that I love and then they change websites and I can't locate them. then when I want to add more of their kits to my collection because of the style similarities, I can't. Is any one else frustrated by this?

mamakimberly
11-27-2006, 11:36 AM
There are LOTS of reasons why people leave stores----

stores close, stores open, policies change, personalities clash, new opportunities arise.

It is a little crazy though, isn't it? I know I've had to stalk some people to find them! LOL!

Traci Reed
11-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Sometimes designers change sites because they're not getting the business they like at a particular site, sometimes their style doesn't mesh well with the rest of the designers at the store, sometimes the terms change at their shop and they are unhappy with that...there are many reasons a designer could leave a shop and move on to another. Your best guess would be to post a question on this forum or the one where they used to be asking where you could get their designs now!

HTH :)

corina
11-27-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm guilty!!!! For me it was about plan changes and commissions. Once they changed then I left... but no more movin for this gal! I'm stayin here until the digi world gives me the boot :)

As far as others, some people think that they will generate more business at other sites. I think thats a hit or miss. I was really worried BOTH times I made the move, but it all ended up working out in the end!

Ripal
11-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Idea for designers... if they add links to their shop/s in their siggi, that can be VERY helpful for both designers and scrappers! :)

ang517
11-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Besides bookmarking stores try bookmarking your fav designer's blogs whenever available. This way you'll be able to keep up with them. :)

JennPatrick
11-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Well, now that we have DST it's pretty much irrelevant if designers change sites because all we have to do is ask and someone at DST will know and they will tell us lol! That's what is so great about this place. Someone always knows something :) So you can't be lost. It's a little frustrating but I understand why they do it.

Glueless Media
11-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Well when you first start its kinda shopping around like at any job not sure, all of the above allready stated in this thread. Sometimes its just time to move on.

sczos911
11-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Idea for designers... if they add links to their shop/s in their siggi, that can be VERY helpful for both designers and scrappers! :)

YES.YES.YES.

Shannon
11-27-2006, 02:09 PM

Amen to that! And also, be sure to email Erick (directory@digishoptalk.com) with your directory (http://www.digishoptalk.com/directory.html) changes.

Kazadoodle
11-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Why designers change stores has been pretty much said.

It was a huge decision for me to apply to another store, which I ended up leaving, which was another major decision for me.

I'm in the process of thinking of applying to another store, but don't want to be seen as a store hopper, which I'm not - it's hard sometimes to know what to do. While I want to do what's best for my customer base, I also want to do what's best me - I'm sure most designers feel this way.

I will have to admit, it has seemed pretty hectic over the last six months with designers changing stores - I don't know why that is.

strangejen
11-27-2006, 04:22 PM
this is a big part of why I started my alphabetical designer's list. but it only works if the designers e-mail me when they've had a change. Some are really good about it . . . then again, sometimes stores close and no one tells me!!! LOL.

Here's the designer's list:
http://www.jenstrange.com/Designers.html

If you're really in a pinch? Google the designer's name is quotations -- like "Bree Clarkson" -- and that should either get you their blog or their store. Or someone randomly talking about them . . . :wave

jen

Lauren
11-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Every designer I like, I bookmark their blog. It's the easiest way to keep up because store hopping does seem to be rampant at the moment. Plus you tend get advance notice of their sales and if they're really generous, coupons and freebies! :)

Another hint to designers - if you can register yourname.com or yournamedesigns.com, do it! It's not very expensive at registrars such as godaddy.com (http://www.godaddy.com) and even if you don't set up your own store, just get it to redirect (free) to your current shop, your blog, etc so we can find you. I often just guess domain names when Google isn't giving me joy.

Stephanie Ogren
11-27-2006, 05:51 PM
I've totally moved around, but now that I'm at my dream site, Scrapbook-Elements I will move no more! LOL

CindySimon
11-27-2006, 06:22 PM
I've seen so many "moving sales" lately, I had half a mind to have a "staying put" sale! LOL! I think most designers are just as unwilling to move around as you are to see them do it, but there are so many mitigating factors. You just have to do what you think is right. And updated sig lines are a beautiful thing! ;)

Barb Speck
11-27-2006, 06:34 PM
this is a big part of why I started my alphabetical designer's list. but it only works if the designers e-mail me when they've had a change. Some are really good about it . . . then again, sometimes stores close and no one tells me!!! LOL.

Here's the designer's list:
http://www.jenstrange.com/Designers.html

If you're really in a pinch? Google the designer's name is quotations -- like "Bree Clarkson" -- and that should either get you their blog or their store. Or someone randomly talking about them . . . :wave

jen

Hey Jen hunted for an email address for you on your site and didn't see it. Can you please put a link! thanks

kimlizzy
11-27-2006, 06:35 PM
I've totally moved around, but now that I'm at my dream site, Scrapbook-Elements I will move no more! LOL

And it's lovely to have you at SBE too. :)

Stephanie Ogren
11-27-2006, 06:49 PM
And it's lovely to have you at SBE too. :)

Thank you so much!!! ;)

arenee
11-27-2006, 07:02 PM
I look to DST to keep me up on all the newest kits so the actual shopping site is no longer important. I also have all my favorite designers blogged bookmarked.

strangejen
11-28-2006, 04:42 AM
Hey Jen hunted for an email address for you on your site and didn't see it
seriously? I thought I had my e-mail all over my site -- from the designer's page if you click on "info page" at the top, it explains what I need to know from designers to get them put on the list and how to contact me.

but my e-mail is jenstrange AT gmail DOT com

jen