PDA

View Full Version : Laptop advice please:)

Glueless Media
11-27-2006, 12:59 PM
HI! The hubby says we can get a new laptop for Christmas!!! WOOHOO!:clap I am estatic--but--I need help!:madness I use psp and I sure want to make sure I have enough memory to run it. What is the good memory size, RAM etc?? Help?? anyone-Please.... Also what do you NOT want! thanks Vickie:clap

ang517
11-27-2006, 01:08 PM
I'd like to know what people have had luck with as well. We're getting one for Cmas too! :)

limabean
11-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Vickie - I posted in the Designer Conference Room

lcbannon
11-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Well, not a designer but I have PSPX, Fotofusion and PSCS2 and lots of other goodes ( i am a software junkie) I have used for last yr a Toshiba Satellite upgraded to 1.5 gig memory which was need go for 2 on a new one, has a 100 gig hard and then I have an external 160 but you can easyily get one cheaper and bigger now.. A really good video card would be the other rec.. Mine was the model before the new card and wish I had it. Have fun.

Glueless Media
11-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Well, not a designer but I have PSPX, Fotofusion and PSCS2 and lots of other goodes ( i am a software junkie) I have used for last yr a Toshiba Satellite upgraded to 1.5 gig memory which was need go for 2 on a new one, has a 100 gig hard and then I have an external 160 but you can easyily get one cheaper and bigger now.. A really good video card would be the other rec.. Mine was the model before the new card and wish I had it. Have fun.

Thanks!! Toshiba Satellite is one I am lookig at seriously! Of course I have about as much software as you have, about 10, 000 fonts but Im going to leave that on the big one.

Glueless Media
11-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Vickie - I posted in the Designer Conference Room

thanks !!:)

meems
11-27-2006, 01:42 PM
I don't know how common of a problem this is but I had a problem with the power adapter overheating when connected to the laptop. Actually fried the cord. So I vowed that if I ever purchase a laptop again I am getting a docking station or some such thing that can power the laptop w/o the laptop itself being plugged in. If it weren't for that, my laptop would be much more usable now.

Sorry I guess I wasn't much help w/ the memory question (b/c I have no idea about that). I'm just fixated on the overheating thing. :(

Enjoy your new laptop, whatever you get! :)

Trina
11-27-2006, 01:50 PM
I also have (or will have after the FedEx man gets here tomorrow) the Satellite Toshiba, this one (http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=160479&WT.mc_n=26364&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=EMAIL&cm_cat=CIRCUITCITY.COM&cm_pla=EMA_SHIPPING_NOTIFICATION-%3ES2%20-%20PRODUCT%20SPOT&cm_ite=12694%20PRODUCT%20PURCHASED&cm_keycode=26364) right here, in fact. I searched long and hard before I bought it and decided that this provided the most bang for my buck...plus the $200 off and free printer didn't hurt, either ;)

Keely~B
11-27-2006, 02:40 PM
After a lot of back and forth I bought a Toshiba Satellite about a month ago. I haven't had anything printed yet so I'm still nervous about that. So far I love it!!! I bought the most RAM and processor I could afford and got a graphics card for gaming. I think there's always some trade off but being able to scrap on the couch makes up for evertything else. :)

Trina
11-27-2006, 02:42 PM
I think there's always some trade off but being able to scrap on the couch makes up for evertything else. :)

AMEN TO THAT, SISTA!!!

Barb Speck
11-27-2006, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=meems;234534]I don't know how common of a problem this is but I had a problem with the power adapter overheating when connected to the laptop. Actually fried the cord. So I vowed that if I ever purchase a laptop again I am getting a docking station or some such thing that can power the laptop w/o the laptop itself being plugged in. If it weren't for that, my laptop would be much more usable now.

Are you sure that you don't have one of the batteries that have been recalled because they have started fires? You laptop should never get that hot. My laptop does get warm on my lap but it also powers itself down if I'm waiting on something to load etc. Getting hot enough to melt a cord does not sound right to me.

Connie@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-27-2006, 03:27 PM
I also have (or will have after the FedEx man gets here tomorrow) the Satellite Toshiba, this one (http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=160479&WT.mc_n=26364&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=EMAIL&cm_cat=CIRCUITCITY.COM&cm_pla=EMA_SHIPPING_NOTIFICATION-%3ES2%20-%20PRODUCT%20SPOT&cm_ite=12694%20PRODUCT%20PURCHASED&cm_keycode=26364) right here, in fact. I searched long and hard before I bought it and decided that this provided the most bang for my buck...plus the $200 off and free printer didn't hurt, either ;)

Trina you will love it!!

I have a Toshiba here - 2 gig RAM, 120 gig hd. LOVE it - 17" wide screen high res. My sister just ordered a Toshiba too.

Toshiba's rock!!

I have a dell for work - but it runs VERY hot & it went thru 2 dvd drives & power adapter in less than a year.

Just Plain Kristi
11-27-2006, 03:38 PM
I have a nearly new Compaq Presario but I desperately need more memory. I think this one came with only 512MB. I use PS7 and pretty much have to shut down everything else and be patient while scrapping. Maybe after we pay off DD's brand spankin' new HP with a full gig of memory for Christmas I can start saving for some extra memory for my laptop.

Everything else about my laptop is great!:clap

kaylaugh

Nettio
11-27-2006, 05:25 PM
I've had my Toshiba Satellite for a year now and it's been great! I love this laptop! If I were to buy another laptop, I would get another Toshiba in a heartbeat.

tlccreates
11-27-2006, 06:25 PM
another toshiba satelite user here, mine is 1 1/2 years old and I love it

It was a real cheap one. It was under $500 but we then added some more ram bringing it up to 750mb. We thought it would be for travels and such but it has become my main puter especially since DD took one of the desktops to college. Now DH uses the desktop for his hearts games and I am on the laptop.

I wish I had more battery life and HD but that is why this one was soooo cheap. Only get about 1/2 hour from the battery but since I am almost never without a plug nearby it hasn't been a problem. I use an EHD for my photos and kits and it needs a plug also. BUT the battery thing hasn't stopped me. I even use both the laptop and EHD when traveling on long car rides. I got one of the outlets that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

I wish the usb connections were not right along the right hand side. The cords get in the way of my tablet (another tool that goes with me and the laptop, including in the car :p

One great thing about the toshiba laptops is that they come with the software discs for setup, you know the boot disc and drivers. Other computers require you to make your own discs.

have fun shoppin for your laptop

daly
11-28-2006, 05:32 AM
Oh!....I sooooo want a laptop!

Now I'm actually 'leading' a group of new digi recruits so I really need one! We had our first digi class at a friend's house a couple of weeks ago and I actually lugged my desk top to her house...lol!

And guess what?...she got a new laptop a few days later! (Repeat to self: I am not jealous, I am not jealous, I am not jealous).

My dh keeps saying I'm not getting one for Christmas or my bday (which is the day after Christmas). But I think I have some leverage since I do turn the big 4-0 this year.

(I'm emailing him this thread.)

Thanks for the helpful info, ladies!

Heidi@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-28-2006, 06:12 AM
My customized Toshiba laptop is shipping tomorrow. :clap

Here are some suggestions that I gave to Trina when she was looking. It might help others out. But it all comes down to money. Obviously the more you spend the better you get.

RAM: For digital scrapbooking I think a must is 2GB RAM but it $$$.

Processor: If you go Intel, choose Core 2 Duo. The higher the # the better. The T5200 processor is the lowest end Core 2 Duo, Most laptops that I have seen are coming with a T5500. A T7200 is better. To save money you could go to a AMD processor instead of Intel. Our AMD notebook is running and is very happy after 3 years in our house. HP uses a lot of AMD processors.

Hard drive: The size is only important depending on how you use it. I don't think the size is as important if you plan on keeping your stuff externally. If you plan on keeping your stuff on the laptop hard drive then size is important. I configured my laptop and actually selected a 100 Gig hd because my work will be on a external hard drive. Watch for the RPM's though. That is how fast that disc spins. The slower it spins the slower your machine. The faster it spins the hotter your machine. Look for 5200rpm which is good tradeoff.

Graphics: This is another place to spend a lot of money. You get basically two choices. Integrated, which basically means it will share your processor and RAM. Or a video card which will take the work off your processor and may or may not share your RAM. Obviously the second option is better but I didn't find a laptop cheaper than $1400 with this option. If you start asking for which video cards, I don't know. My assumption was that if it has a video card its better than integrated. So if you get integrated, it is even more important to put on 2GB of RAM because the video card will subtract 1/4 GB of usable RAM. Your linked laptop has integrated.

Screen size: The larger the better, usually. The 17" is nice. Although I chose (against Connie's advice) to downgrade to a 15". I will be using my laptop as my desktop replacement and won't use it very much away from desk. I have a 20" inch widescreen lcd display that I will hook it up to and do dual monitors. And when I go on scrapbooking retreats I might just pack it up and bring it with so I still have dual screens. If you only plan on using your laptop display as your only monitor, definitely stick with the 17" display.

Lastly, the rest of the other stuff is pretty much standard. Most have a DVD write drive of some kind. The one thing you might consider is if you have Bluetooth stuff: palm, etc.

If you are not in a rush, I would watch sales over the next few weeks. There was some speculation that laptops were going to have good sales this coming month. Although digital scrapbookers are looking at mid-end range and my guess the sales are more at the low-end range of laptops.

As for brands, I personally wouldn't recommend a Dell although I have not had one. I have heard many people with Dell issues. Sony Viao laptops are good but expensive. I was also looking at HP with very decent prices for what you get. Toshiba's are excellent too.

cheribear
11-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Heidi - Thank you x 100000000 for your post. I've been shopping for a laptop for months and this is the VERY first time someone has explained all that stuff in a way that makes perfect real-world sense.

It annoys me to no end that every computer store is more than happy to give you a whole list of numbers and specs for your examination - and then they can't even get a salesperson to explain what it REALLY means, and what you can really use it for. They figure either, you're an idiot and they can just say "this is good, this is better" and you'll believe it - or, you're a computer techno genius and you just know why its better.

I'd like to think I'm in between somewhere so I get NO HELP. Seriously. Two different reps at Staples, one at Future Shop, and three different phone calls to Dell - and I get better information from the girls here than any one of them can provide.

Trina
11-28-2006, 08:30 AM
I get better information from the girls here than any one of them can provide.

Heidi and Connie were both VERY helpful when I was shopping for my laptop...and like you said, gave me the info in terms that even this non-computer-guru could understand :clap :clap :clap

cheribear
11-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Well, when the salespeople look at me like I have two heads when I say "I use it primarily for digital scrapbooking, what is best....?" I know I'm fighting a losing battle.

I tell them I run PS almost ALL the time, and they automatically bump me up to whatever is the very very most expensive thing they have, and throw in a bunch of graphics stuff like I'm a gamer or something. NO I don't have $1000000000000 to spend, so I need help deciding what is necessary. And the salespeople don't have a clue what is necessary or 'just nice' for digi.

~Cheri

Heidi@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks, it was fresh in my mind because I just had gone shopping for one.

And I personally hate sales people that don't know a lot. The only reason why I go to a store is to hold the product in my hands. Of course, when I am standing in front of a $1500 laptop, the sales people come swarming. I usually am pretty good at asking questions that I know they can't answer. Two weeks ago, I got a salesman with the digital video port question. He said no it didn't have but then I pointed it out to him. He left me alone then to play with the laptop since he knew that I knew more about it than him. Which is EXACTLY what I wanted, to be left alone.

My opinion is buying a laptop or computer. Set your price point first. Say under $1000, or $1200 or $1500 or $2000 or whatever your budget is. Then go find the best deal for that price. And remember tomorrow that notebook that was $1000 will be $900. So if you don't need it right away be patient and watch those sales!

Maisie
11-28-2006, 11:06 AM
This is what I wanted to know.
Can you get a really good graphics card???
I put a 128 in my Dell desktop and it still runs so slow!!
Otherwise this one sounds perfect-O!

After a lot of back and forth I bought a Toshiba Satellite about a month ago. I haven't had anything printed yet so I'm still nervous about that. So far I love it!!! I bought the most RAM and processor I could afford and got a graphics card for gaming. I think there's always some trade off but being able to scrap on the couch makes up for evertything else. :)

Wnderlnd
11-28-2006, 11:28 AM
HI all...someone mentioned getting a docking station...we actaully had TERRIBLE problems with our docking station and ended up have to getting a new mother board TWICE! I would not advise this option.

Our laptop is a few years old. It is a Dell and we just upgraded the RAM to 2 gigabytes for more speed and power. I did run out of storage space, so we now have two external harddrives..one for storage and one for backing up. Make sense? I advise getting the most RAM..which I think is currently 2Gig and as much storage as you can afford.

We did get the highest (supposedly best) screen at teh time, and I wish we hadn't...it make everything super tiny in some programs (and I am only 35, so my eyes are not the problem). We have played around with it, but when we make things larger, some programs have a huge problem accepting it. Hard to explain...basically our Palm software doesn't play nice...

If you want more details and computer specs, I can wait for DH to pull them out of the files.

marnel
11-28-2006, 12:16 PM
I'm a total dooyyy when it comes to laptops want one for X-Mas and I also need help.... May I ask customized from what store, Toshiba, Circuit City, Best Buy? As far as using the laptop for Internet Access what do I need to know? What is a docking station? Help, I may have more questions but that's all for now... :think

My customized Toshiba laptop is shipping tomorrow. :clap
RAM: 2GB RAM
Processor: Intel, choose Core 2 Duo.
Hard drive: 100 Gig hd because my work will be on a external hard drive.
Graphics: Integrated, which basically means it will share your processor and RAM.
Screen size: The larger the better, usually

Connie@DigiScrapInfo.com
11-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Heidi got hers customized direct from Toshiba. I bought my Toshiba from Amazon & saved $150 over Best Buy - but mine was stock built.

And a docking station is a little bar in the back that your laptop mounts onto (docks onto) making it a desktop model 'sort of'. I have a docking station at work - it provides power, some usb ports.... doesn't do a whole lot. I demanded a full size keyboard mouse & flat panel monitor (so I could see to work). Personally at home - I have a desk top to be a desktop.

Using the two monitors at work works - but I have to totally power down my laptop otherwise it thinks it's still connected to the flat panel - and that's not good.....

(I answered tech questions! woot)

Trina
11-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Heidi got hers customized direct from Toshiba. I bought my Toshiba from Amazon & saved $150 over Best Buy - but mine was stock built.

After MUCH looking around, mine came from CircuitCity.com but was the same price as Amazon, also stock built and not custom built. Just at CircuitCity, it came with a free Canon picture printer :) See link earlier in this thread...$200 off right now.

Glueless Media
11-29-2006, 12:58 AM
WOW!! thanks ladies so much info to think about! Im still not sure which way to go.

ztampfhung
11-29-2006, 01:06 AM
Well... you can't go wrong with this specs:
200 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, plus extra Graphic memory.
And I recommend: Mac Book Pro! Yummm...!!!

Congrats to lucky you... enjoy it! :)