PDA

View Full Version : Who has a hard time paying 2peas prices for kits?

scrapqueen
11-27-2006, 04:08 PM
Okay, I do like some of 2peas kits and think the girls over there are awesome. But I have a hard time spending $15 for a kit that is similar in size to other mega kits for $10. Then when 2peas has a sale it's a measly 10%!! I spent a lot of money this weekend on kits and got a ton of stuff because it was all 50% off! Do you think that 2peas will get a clue or not now that they have a major corporate owner?? Their stuff is no better than the awesome designers that are at other websites.

dolphncove
11-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Ha. I have to agree with you. I love 2peas digi kits but $15 is a bit to much. I've always thought that.
And u can get the same quality in a kit if u pay $4 or $5 somewhere else. I have never bought one of there kits and probably never will. Just to pricey for me.

Lisa

mmy2vce
11-27-2006, 04:19 PM
The 2p's philosophy regarding the pricing of digital kits is the 2p's designers feel that their work is worth the $15 price tag and they are waiting for the rest of the digital market to ante up on the same pricing model. It is like most purchasing situations in life, an item is only worth what a consumer is willing to pay for it. Obviously there are those that will pay the $15 or they wouldn't continue to charge this amount. They also have some other items in their digital store that are priced individually.

KateH
11-27-2006, 04:20 PM
I got a gift cert. to there for my b-day from my inlaws and I still haven't made the leap to buy one of the big kits. I think I might just keep my gift cert. and spend it bit by bit on Rhonna's awesome brush sets and some of the individual paper packs. I am not sure I want to spend that much on one kit that I am not sure I will use a bunch of times. I may end up folding on the Split Pea kit, it looks like there are a lot of cool brushes and extras.

I agree about their sales being wimpy compared to the rest of the digi market. But I kind of doubt if they are going to bend on that one. I just don't see it.

joelsgirl
11-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Haven't their prices gone down? I know they still have some $15 kits, but they have a wider range of prices and choices now. Still nothing that makes me think, "I can't live without that" but it's better now than it used to me, I think.

Kellie

Kazadoodle
11-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Well, from a designer's point of view, 2peas probably charge what all of us should, instead of severly underpricing ourselves - LOL

However, I doubt the rest of us are going to ante up - LOL - and will continue to give quality at a lower price! :cheer

shazzt
11-27-2006, 04:38 PM
I bought Split Pea a while ago because it really appealed to me (it is a really fun kit - and NOT girly!). I used it for a layout that was going to be published, so it kind of paid for itself. I probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise because $15 is a lot more in my currency. I don't blame Two Peas for wanting to place a premium on their products - as a customer I can choose whether or not I think something is worth the price being asked. I have more of a problem with their store which I find hard to navigate and to find anything in. As a result, I hardly every go there.

Hollie H (Holliewood Studios)
11-27-2006, 04:42 PM
I want to buy them but just cant justify the price especially when I rarely use a kit more than 2 times. They do have gorgeous stuff thou...

mamakimberly
11-27-2006, 04:58 PM
never have, never will!

JennPatrick
11-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Yep!!! I have to agree. I won't buy anything from them again, unless they have a "major" sale. 10% off is hardly a sale. In a moment of weakness, the only thing I had to absolutely have from them was a painted looking alpha and thankfully I bought it on sale over the Thanksgiving holiday. It wasn't much of a sale but enough for me to justify it I guess. I don't use things more than a few times if more than once! So, I came to find that it didn't even have a zero in the alpha. It should have all the letters and the numbers! I guess they thought that an O would work for a zero but I don't think it looks right. The zero should not be as wide as the O and if I manually transform it, obviously it looks distorted. The thickness of the stroke doesn't match and I can't stand the way it looks! I wrote them on Thursday, but haven't heard anything back. Needless to say it will be the last thing I buy. 4 dollars for an alpha is ridiculous but I had to have that one, I paid $4 just for an alpha one other time, only cause it's the coolest. I really bought the whole kit but I only really lusted after the alpha. That was Fee Jardine's Pinky Boo alpha. ;) And she was so sweet to send it to me when I asked her if she'd sell it separately. Unfortunately I couldn't wait and had already went and bought the whole kit lol. But I don't feel bad about that at all. Once I really looked at the rest of the kit I liked it. Her alpha rocks! $5 is the "normal" price I would pay for a kit, and it's not that I devalue the work of the artist. I just can't see spending much more than that when A) I hardly use things more than once. B) It's a non-tangible product which will only be around for as long as my computer or media disk survives lol. When the kits get up to $6 it's getting up as high as I'm willing to go and only occasionally would I buy one for $6 or higher if at all. $7 for me is a "normal" price for Megakits. It's hard for me to spend more than $5 on a kit. Especially because kits are getting smaller and smaller while the price gets steadily higher. I don't even bother looking at 2peas stuff - no way am I ever spending that much, unless it was free money lol. Even then I'd probably still spend it somewhere else. Somewhere that had great customer service. I've always been a thrifty shopper that hunts bargains. I rarely buy at full price. Why would I spend $15 on one kit when I could get three for that price. My OCD just won't allow that.

LibbysMommy
11-27-2006, 05:00 PM
I agree - they do have beautiful things over there, but when I can only spend so much money, I want to get the most for it. :)

Audra
11-27-2006, 05:01 PM
yep......when 2peas posted a "SALE" on their digital kits, and then
I saw that it was just 10% off......I seriously rolled my eyes ........
why oh why would I fork out that kind of money when these wonderful
designers who post here give us such TALENT and BIG SALES to boot!
and a TON of wonderful GIFTS!!!???
I am so happy with the designers that post here at DST!
you guys are AWESOME!

Keela
11-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Wasn't this one of the subjects being talked about at 2Peas when Shannon started DST? LOL! I have bought a few brush sets, that paint alpha and the Split Pea kit...that's it.

Audra
11-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Obviously there are those that will pay the $15 or they wouldn't continue to charge this amount.

Maybe people arent paying it?
Cause now they are posting sales
over here....

Nettio
11-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Nope, I'd much rather use my money to support all of the other great designers who are a part of our community. No 2peas for me!

Lauren
11-27-2006, 05:20 PM
I have a couple, but only because I was given a GC to 2Ps for some photo restoration work I did for a member there and being international, I can only get digi products.

I remember when I first bought it, how disappointed I was. It's nothing against Rhonna (she was the only designer at the time) as they are beautifully done and I still pull stuff out of them, but when I can get about three times as much stuff from a kit that someone like Michelle Underwood just had on sale for a QUARTER... well, I wonder which one I'll choose. Quality is always important, but at that price, I want quantity too!

I compare it to clothes. My DH is sitting next to me in a shirt we got on sale at Target for about $15. It is practically identical to the one my brother bought also on sale, but for $50 - the only difference is the label. Can't see the label when it's being worn - can't see the designer's name when the book is printed either! ;)

Jana1506
11-27-2006, 05:34 PM
I have more of a problem with their store which I find hard to navigate and to find anything in. As a result, I hardly every go there.

That's me. I went over there a couple of times but never really got the store figured out. As a result don't go there anymore.

Cori
11-27-2006, 05:34 PM
never have, never will!

My thoughts exactly.

I have bought 2 element packs there for $4 a piece.

4PeasInMyPod
11-27-2006, 05:48 PM
I have several 2Peas kits, and a few of the smaller sets, and I find myself returning to them over and over again. Because of that I believe I paid a fair price. Almost everything I've bought from there has been designed by Rhonna, and I especially love how I can take a paper from one of her kits, an element from another, and have endless combinations that work.
Honestly, I think that many of the 2Peas kits are quite a bit more original than what I find on some sites. I have quite a few favorite designers, and IMHO their kits are underpriced considering they have a very distinctive style and they impress me with their attention to detail.
Some kits I would be willing to pay considerably more than $5 for, but there are also some that I wouldn't spend half that amount on.
When I think about how much money I used to spend on paper scrapping supplies; I couldn't leave my LSS without spending at least $75 per visit and there wasn't that much in that bag, LOL! In comparison, digital kits, even at $15, can be considered a bargain.
BTW, I don't have a huge budget for digi supplies, I just buy what I truly love when I can afford to, often agonizing over which kits to buy with a limited budget.
I hope this post doesn't offend anyone; we all have different priorities when it comes to spending our (or hubby's, LOL!) hard earned money. Lee

Kim Mauch
11-27-2006, 06:21 PM
I can't do it. Mostly because of the price, but I also don't really care for the style of some of the kits.

I bet that there are plenty of digi scrappers not involved in this community that buy the 2Peas kits and are none the wiser at what they could get with their money at other digi stores.

Stephanie Ogren
11-27-2006, 06:52 PM
I have never been there. Maybe I should check it out.

JennPatrick
11-27-2006, 06:58 PM
If I were rich, big IF...I might buy $15 digital kits, but probably not from 2peas! Rhonna's stuff is beautiful, no argument about that, I don't like their customer service. I would have thought that a $4 alpha would be complete. with more than one case and numbers. I'll never again buy a digital product that I can't see everything that is included before I buy and/or that has an inadequate description of everything included. Another reason I won't spend a bunch of money on a digital kit...you can't return it if it ends up disappointing you.

Lor
11-27-2006, 07:01 PM
As a fairly new digi scrapper, I've been over there and checked them out and honestly thought their kits were just okay. (Although, I must admit I drool over Rhonna's work!) But, I just won't pay that kind of money for anyone's work! There are just too many other awesome designers out there offering up their beautiful designs for a more respectable price.

Karen B
11-27-2006, 07:04 PM
I've bought a few of their $2 and $3 fonts, but never any of their kits, due to price. I'd have to really really really love a kit and feel I would use it repeatedly to pay their prices when there are so many other wonderful kits out there that are a better value in my opinion.

Andrea
11-27-2006, 07:30 PM
I have been collecting fonts for over 10 years and I really like 2ps fonts (I've been getting their fonts for 5 years)- they are unique and fun.

That is pretty much all I have bought from them - maybe one $4 thing.

I have some friends that agree with me that their prices on kits are really high. I think they have some nice things, but I can find nice things at many other places for NICE prices. I think any mega kit over $7-$8 is pretty pricey. I usually pay $5-$6 a kit and feel comfortable with that price range and can get more for my money.

I agree about the store being hard to navigate in, and even to access your dl's is confusing.

They do have some wonderful talent there (Rhonna and Veronica), but their prices are just WAY too high for me.

:)

Inkspots
11-27-2006, 07:41 PM
OK, all this talk of the peas and I hadn't been over in awhile so thought I'd drop by--there's a AL font that I've been trying to find, can't even remember the name of it now. Anyway, looks like the site is down. Oh well. I agree though, I just can't see paying that much when you can get Sooooo much more, and I think better, from other designers here.

Cori
11-27-2006, 07:58 PM
OK, all this talk of the peas and I hadn't been over in awhile so thought I'd drop by--Anyway, looks like the site is down.

I was going to ask the same thing. Looks like the message said they exceeded their traffic allowance.

All us digi-girls heading back over there to look around. Now we blew it up!

CraftTeaLady
11-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Although I haven't bought any of those kits... I think anyone's money would be much more wisely spent on a Gold Membership here at DST where you get 12 kits for a great price. :)

But, that's just my .02.

Another thought - If I wouldn't pay big bucks for a paper pack when I was a paper scrapper, why would I do it now?

Shannon
11-27-2006, 08:45 PM
The $10 NSD Cheer kit (http://twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com/shop.asp?derMars=12A401) was worth every penny. If you throw in a few reusable brushes, I would for sure pay $10 for a kit and they threw in TEN brushes. But I think $10 is my limit for a single kit. There are too many phenomenal designers out there selling kits just as good for a lot less.

Audra
11-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Although I haven't bought any of those kits... I think anyone's money would be much more wisely spent on a Gold Membership here at DST where you get 12 kits for a great price. :)

yes.....but I see that you are now a diamond girl.....so
you REALLY got your $ worth! :)

queenbusick
11-27-2006, 09:12 PM
I have more of a problem with their store which I find hard to navigate and to find anything in. As a result, I hardly every go there.

I sometimes think I must not understand the web when I 'walk' into that site!! That's my gripe w/ the peas..get a easier site to navigate and I and many others will come back and sit a while!

I will give them credit for setting a lot of industry standards among scrappers - it's a good reputation that they have in that area. Plus the name is still so darn cute!

diannerigdon
11-27-2006, 10:00 PM
I just have to say, at no offense to the o.p., that I am just weary of this discussion. It's just been going round and round here and there and everywhere ever since they opened up the digi shop. My opinion is this: If it's too much, then just go elsewhere. There certainly isn't any lack of other places to shop. ;) I would certainly charge those prices if I thought my customer base would buy it and I definitely believe that my product is underpriced. More power to them if they are building a customer base willing to pay those prices. So it's working for them. If you don't like it, come by my shop! :lol3

tchualessn
11-28-2006, 01:33 AM
I also think their prices are way too high!!! I think their kits are nice, but I absolutely drooool over some other kits elsewhere that are much more reasonably priced!!!

Pamela Gibson
11-28-2006, 01:38 AM
theyre too expensive for me, and i think i also underprice my kits, but its what we've got to do to keep in the race. lol.

Florida Cindy
11-28-2006, 02:26 AM
Pay? I don't pay for 2 Peas kits that are so high priced the Palm Beach socialites wouldn't even purchase b/c they are too expensive!

marnel
11-28-2006, 03:31 AM
When they create digi kits "some" are sold/bought to/by major paper companies they're sold in the stores for 59cts to 89cts depending on what they are and the elements rubons, etc etc differ in price.
Could some one sum up the rationale for the 2peas pricing is this like comparing apples to oranges?
I'm trying to understand why some designers say yes, 2Peas prices are ok, but say we sell at this price b/c you the consumer are not willing to pay this much or am I reading too much into it:eek I wanna know!!! :think

Iheartjanda
11-28-2006, 04:59 AM
This has been discussed so many times, and I think what it boils down to is this: a product (any product) is only worth what somebody will pay for it, and if they are in business still, then somebody MUST be willing to pay those prices.

We all have a limit on what we can (or will) spend, whether it be a house, a TV or a digi kit. If $15 is out of your personal comfort range, then there are many other places that sell kits for less.

Dianne, I agree that digital kits are probably underpriced for the amount of work that goes into them. BUT the prices reflect the industry, the community and what the consumers are willing to pay - what they deem 'fair' value for money. Consumers take digital kits at face value, they don't necessarily think about the time and design work that's gone into them, and for that reason, they can't justify spending more than $10 because to them, they are getting 20 or so digital files, and that's the end of it.

Personally, the kits are not my style, and I don't want them enough to spend that kind of money on them, so I won't buy them. I'm not upset about the pricing, because I don't care. Seems to me that those who are upset about the high pricing really would love to own the kits, but are unwilling to spend that much. That's really the issue. Not how much 2peas is charging, but how much the consumer wants the product, and if it's enough to part with their money. You can't blame 2peas designers for charging what they deem a reasonable amount for their time/effort. Every designer sets that for themselves.

marnel
11-28-2006, 05:03 AM
Very Well said, Kinda makes sense... I've peeked once or twice at 2peas kits but nothing I really neeeeddd but if the day comes I'll let everyone know! ;)

Personally, the kits are not my style, and I don't want them enough to spend that kind of money on them, so I won't buy them. I'm not upset about the pricing, because I don't care. Seems to me that those who are upset about the high pricing really would love to own the kits, but are unwilling to spend that much. That's really the issue. Not how much 2peas is charging, but how much the consumer wants the product, and if it's enough to part with their money. You can't blame 2peas designers for charging what they deem a reasonable amount for their time/effort. Every designer sets that for themselves.

kddardmom
11-28-2006, 06:50 AM
I just have to say, at no offense to the o.p., that I am just weary of this discussion. It's just been going round and round here and there and everywhere ever since they opened up the digi shop. My opinion is this: If it's too much, then just go elsewhere. There certainly isn't any lack of other places to shop. ;) I would certainly charge those prices if I thought my customer base would buy it and I definitely believe that my product is underpriced. More power to them if they are building a customer base willing to pay those prices. So it's working for them. If you don't like it, come by my shop! :lol3

I think this is a great way to sum up the marketplace.
I'm generally a Kohl's/Marshall's/Target kind of shopper. Not necessarily CHEAP, but I do like to feel like I'm getting the most out of my money. I feel like I'm getting more current style and things that it's ok only to use a few times since I got such a good deal on them. (And Marshall's has great Lauren, Hilfiger, etc. stuff if you are willing/able to put in the time to look there.) AND these stores are convenient - right near my office, so I can go there at lunch.

From time to time, like when I really want to treat myself or if I have a gift card, I shop at Talbot's/Ann Taylor/White House Black Market. TYPICALLY, I do get longer wear out of those items and they are more durable, usually more classic in style. Again, I feel like I get a longer wear and therefore a good use of my dollars. Alas I get far fewer things there because of the price and I only shop at those places maybe once or twice a year. (And the stores are off my beaten path.)

Although I've bought only a few items at 2peas, they've been ones I looked at over and over again before I bought and that I've created many layouts with. (Rhonna's Peachy Keen is one of my most used kits.) And although I abhor the price, I've been drawn back there like a moth to a flame. At least prior to the changes over there.

The biggest downside I see for them is, as mentioned above, the site navigation. I find it nearly impossible since they added more designers and more items. And I just don't have the time to deal with it now.

In the digi world, I'm all over the place. I love a good sale, but I also find that there are some things I just HAVE to have regardless of price, when it comes out. But convenience really plays a role, too. I have to want something BADLY in order to deal with a site that's confusing or hard/slow to get around. (Primarily 2peas.)

So - good for my other favorite artists, particularly those who post here and at DSP - the easier it is for me to browse and shop, the easier it is for me to buy their stuff. Those enticing emails I get are a bit dangerous!
And. although I really want designers to make money (how long can you do something really tedious and share it with others before you grow tired of it), I hope everyone doesn't go to 2peas pricing. I'll still buy, I just won't buy as often. It's a whole lot easier for me to justify a $3 $5 or even a $10 purchase.............

(not that I've had too much trouble buying -- I shudder to think how much I've bought that I still haven't used in my 11 months of digiscrapping)

AKSheridan
11-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Well I am in the minority here in thinking they aren't completely overpriced...maybe slightly, but I think most other designers are UNDERpriced. I LOVE Rhonna's work and I do purchase things from her, but mostly the $4.00 element/brush/paper packs. I do have a hard time purchasing the large $14 kits, and have only done so once, and that most likely will be the last time.

MandiD
11-28-2006, 07:21 AM
I've stayed out of this conversation the last few times it's gone around but thought I'd add this ... I've seen several posts (not just this thread) that say, "Well, how much would you spend on paper supplies for a layout?' Let's just say I was hard pressed to pay $1 per Bazzill sheet even though I loved it. For me, I could easily do a 2-page, 12 x 12 layout for $5 - $7. I do fairly simple layouts and have never used a lot of embellishments. I do realize I'm getting digi embellishments when I pay for a kit for the same price but I'm still not using them any more than I did with paper supplies. And, yes, I realize I can use the digi products again but can honestly only think of two kits I've used more than once in almost 3 years of digi scrapping. So, no, I probably won't ever pay $15 for a kit anywhere. $10-ish, maybe, for a great mega kit. If the trend ever dictates that kit prices increase too much, I'll probably have to figure out how to do my own designs. Just my thoughts.