PDA

View Full Version : DSLR and lenses

andyapc
12-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Yep - total noob when it comes to DSLR. I've only ever owned a P&S. I hope to get a canon xti someday (a girl can dream, right??) but in the meantime, I've just got one question which I hope doesn't sound TOO incredibly stupid. :blush

How do you handle using a lot of lenses? I mean, with the P&S, I do just that ... point and shoot. But with a DSLR, are you constantly changing lenses? If you're taking pics inside and the kids run outside, do you have to stop, change lenses and then shoot? What if they run to a different room with different lighting? Do you have to stop and change your lense? If your subject is close one second and then far away the next - then what?

OK - so it's more than one question - but I'm just wondering how it all works.

See? Total noob here. :wave

mrs2a50
12-03-2006, 01:55 PM
I am noobin' right along with you! I want to know these answers too, since a DSLR is in my near future, and this is one of my nagging issues.

Lauren
12-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Changing lenses? What's that?? ;)

Seriously - if you pick the right lens, it can stay on your camera a LOT of the time. On my 5D, it takes something major to pry the 24-105 off it. That sort of focal range just works in almost every situation. Shooting wildlife or in extremely low light are the only two times I feel like I NEED to change lenses and to be honest, I don't even bother some of the time! :lol

There may be some times you're caught out, such as if you've put on a a telephoto to go to the zoo and suddenly find a great landscape that would be best shot with a wide angle. But it's a challenge more than anything else - I've shot an entire holiday with a telephoto and managed to get the shots I wanted without feeling like I was missing the wide angle.

Different lighting will only be an issue if you're using a slow lens outdoors in bright light and suddenly wander in to a cave. If you have lenses that can cope with low light, this should never be an issue as for most lighting situations as you deal with it in the camera (setting a slower shutter, higher ISO, etc) rather than with the lens.

Hom74
12-03-2006, 02:04 PM
I think the most common reason for changing lenses in normal life is to accomodate the distance you are shooting. Most likely you will have an indoor lens (closer distance), telephoto zoom and maybe a macro. Oh...and some people have a wide angle lens. lol

Most situations you will not need to be swapping out lenses too quickly. But again...I'm not a 'photographer' so I don't know. Certain situations you may have too. Like if you are at the zoo and want to photograph using your macro lens on a butterfly on a flower in the foliage in front of an exhibit...and then the lion awakes and does a roar (lol) and you want to switch out to your zoom to catch that lol. hee hee. So it could happen but it's not really all the time in common everyday situations.

andyapc
12-03-2006, 02:21 PM
with all these posts about lenses and such, I honestly had a picture in my mind that everyone is constantly swapping lenses in/out just to take ordinary photos! It is one of the biggest worries I have about buying a DSLR.

Shannon
12-03-2006, 02:32 PM
:lol I'm loving your "what-if" scenarios. Suddenly wander into a cave :lol3 Photographing a butterfly and then the lion suddenly wakes up and roars. :lol3

Lauren
12-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Shannon, what if the lion was in the cave?? :rofl

lcbannon
12-03-2006, 02:34 PM
I just got a DSLR 2 mo ago, it came with the one I will prob use most- a up to 75 lens, however I am looking at buying a 75-300 lens for distance.. Christmas to myself so if any photogs look at this thread let me know if you use the distance lens much..

mamakimberly
12-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Shannon, what if the lion was in the cave?? :rofl

I'd hope to God you'd RUN LIKE HECK! ;)

I think phototaking should take a backseat in that situation ;)

Inkspots
12-03-2006, 03:01 PM
I just got a DSLR 2 mo ago, it came with the one I will prob use most- a up to 75 lens, however I am looking at buying a 75-300 lens for distance.. Christmas to myself so if any photogs look at this thread let me know if you use the distance lens much..

I'd love to get this one. We keep a 28-200 on the camera all the time. The main reason we got the camera was for zoom. Only occassionaly have we gone with the kit lens, 18-55. Now, I'm just waiting to get our 50mm. :D

To answer the original question though, it wasn't until coming to this forum that I've had the "need" for other lens. LOL:duh This place is dangerous!

Hom74
12-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Dang girl! Use your mad skills! that is ONE situation where I WILL use my FLASH!!! :lol:lol:lol Hopefully it'll blind the little kitty cat just a little lol.

I'd hope to God you'd RUN LIKE HECK! ;)

I think phototaking should take a backseat in that situation ;)

Lauren
12-03-2006, 03:08 PM
Ok, I may be addicted to wildlife photography when my first thought was "Are you kidding?? I just found a lion in a cave, that's the ultimate shot!!"... but Karen, you crack me up! :lol3

Oh and back to the related hijack... I really only use my long lens for wildlife and events (when they let me) but it is worth the purchase.

Row
12-03-2006, 03:08 PM
I've been changing lenses just this morning. :/ I actually put the 18-55 kit lens on for the first time in forever because I was trying to take a piccy of the bathroom with the 60mm and it just wouldn't fit in.

Mostly the 50mm stayed on all the time, but I just got this 60mm macro so I have been playing with that. You can take ordinary shots with a macro too, as long as the 60mm isn't a hindrance.

Lauren
12-03-2006, 03:12 PM
I've been changing lenses just this morning. :/ I actually put the 18-55 kit lens on for the first time in forever because I was trying to take a piccy of the bathroom with the 60mm and it just wouldn't fit in.

Funny, that's the exact same situation where I switched back to the kit on the XT. Enjoy the 60, that is my absolute favourite lens EVER! :D

Row
12-03-2006, 03:18 PM
OK Lauren that is just weird. :) It wasn't because of renovations was it?

I was going to go for the 100mm but since 60mm also does 1:1 I figured I might as well save $100!

crazymomof7
12-04-2006, 11:38 AM
I know I know...I have the lens I thought I wanted...and come to find out....I want another one for use indoors (50mm)...I do like having the zoom lens as an option though for outings or sports! I hope that 2 lenses are enough for me (when I save to get the second one) and I will probably keep the 50 on most of the time.

LDesjardin
12-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Andy, I have 3 lenses on my Rebel - the kit lens 18-55, a 50mm, and a 55-200mm. It just requires a little planning. Usually the 50mm stays on my camera, 'cause it's a good length and it's got a large aperature for maxumum use of available light. If I'm say going to the zoo I carry the longer lens. If I'm going to a museum I carry the shorter zoom or the 50mm.

slkone
12-05-2006, 11:04 AM
I have used my zoom (70-300) for outings to the zoo, for shooting my sons' soccer games, and for many other situations. I carry it with me all the time because I love the bokeh I get with it. I am still in the process of learning my Rebel and haven't mastered bokeh with the kit lens. :)

I am looking to get the nifty fifty for Christmas, but I have to say I love my zoom. And sometimes I do feel like a nerd switching around my lenses... I don't think it's ever hindered me in any way, though....