PDA

View Full Version : Anyone TEACH digi scrap classes IRL?

LaurenReid
07-16-2006, 11:47 AM
I've had soooooo many people ask me to teach them how to digi scrap, some friends and other are just random people who have seen my work or heard about it from friends.

Do any of you teach digi classes in "real" life? How do you do it? I would love to do it because I LOVE teaching!

Would love to hear how you all put this together.....
Anyone????

xooxoxoxooxox

Holly
07-16-2006, 12:03 PM
no, but i have had lot's of people ask me to!

Dating_Revolutionist
07-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi Lauren! (warning: LONG reply!)

I will be teaching a beginning digital scrapbooking class this Fall at a local adult learning center. (I'm in Ohio, btw)

To be honest, the process of finally being able to offer a class was more challenging than I first thought.

I am a professional speaker, coach, and writer. My area of expertise for the past three years has been in coaching single women over 40 as they enter the dating world. I was familiar with marketing my topics to the appropriate venues - but for digital scrapbooking, I had to be a little more resourceful.

First, I approached my local scrapbooking stores. Unfortunately, I discovered that only their staff teaches the classes. No outside trainers are used. I checked with my local computer store (that had in-house training) and found they had the same policy.

I then approched the adult learning center (which in hindsight, should have started there to begin with...). They have many classes for the hobbyist and they had none for scrapbooking. I drew up a proposal, added the recent NYT article about how popular digital scrapbooking has become - and voila! I interviewed with the program director and was accepted in their program.

Here's the funny part:

I went to our local Archivers store and chatted up their lead instructor. (She is such a sweetie and very talented!) I told her my news about leading a digital class in the Fall. She was so excited for me and told me that as soon as I had the dates, to let her know because she wanted to take them.

Another associate who was near the register area turned to look at me when I said I was going to teach digital classes and said, "Oh, you can't believe how many calls we get about that! It is so hot right now and so many want to learn, but we just don't have the facilities to accomodate people!"

Archivers Corporate drives all the classes. So if my local store wanted to teach a digital class, they'd also have to get the green light from corporate and then all the other Archivers stores would need to run them. The lead instructor I was talking to said she'd love to learn more and then see if Archivers would allow her to teach it within their store.

There is definitely a market for this stuff. I feel that many woman want to learn but would prefer a "hands on" class vs. reading a book. I also think that because scrapbooking is often a social event (paper scrappers are used to gathering together for crops), the IRL classes will grow in popularity.

I wish you the best. I'm a bit of an oddball when it comes to programs, though. I will be training the women to use a very simple program, PagePlus. It basically is a "drag and drop" program that will quickly introduce them to using images, resizing them as needed, and learning how to use the text box & Word Art features.

Personally, I love PagePlus (hence one of my avatars) because of its ease of use and economical price. However, I will also introduce them to Photoshop Elements. I'll have a better feel for what most people want after these classes, but I am really looking forward to informing these students about the exciting world of digital.

Think BIG! ;)

Mary Rose M.

lcbannon
07-16-2006, 01:55 PM
I will be teaching a class this fall as well at our local Recreation Center. 1 will be for desktops and another will be for laptops.

I plan on a lot of basics so that they can use them with most any program and then if I get enough interest we can do an advanced class. I use PSPX but have messed about in a lot of others over the years. Wish I could say I have all of Mary's experience but do not. Will be first time paid to teach. We all have to start somewhere.

LaurenReid
07-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Wow, thank you for all the wisdom! Lots to consider! Now what about pricing? How much do you charge? I'd guess that if you do it at a school, the must take a big chunk....?

xoxo

Dating_Revolutionist
07-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Hey lcbannon, I'm so excited for you! Helping others learn new things is to me, one of the most satisfying pursuits in life. I'm new to teaching digital, too. I'll be learning lots for what I hope to be my first "run through." Kinks will need to be worked out but it will be a wonderful learning experience for everyone involved.

I'm rooting for us both! (And a major salute to you for plunging into the waters of public speaking. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. Toastmasters was a great place to learn. I'll send you more info if you'd like. :) )

Mary Rose M.

HaleyW
07-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Hey Lauren -- I taught at my LSS for a little over 3 years... back in my paper-scrapping days. I love teaching scrapbooking, but now that I've moved into digi, I kind of lost my drive to teach paper. I have cropped up at the store a few times since crossing over to the dark side, taking my laptop bag along -- so much better than dragging all of my paper stuff along! So... the owner and I got to chatting and there have been lots of requests for a digi class, so we put it on the calendar. I was totally excited and had lots of people interested. However, my LSS owner has classes to help push her products, which I totally understand. And since there isn't a lot of digi product available for LSS's to carry, I would have been teaching a class that would potentially push people away from purchasing paper products. So we decided to skip the class for the time being... until she has more digi products to sell. Hopefully someday!! I love teaching and I REALLY love digi - so I really hope to get a class going. The challenges I had already identified were computer resources, licensing for software (I use PSE, so I had decided to have people bring their own laptops and download the 30 day free trial of PSE to use for the class), licensing for kit use for the class (I had two designers so very graciously offer to discount a kit for the class participants - thank you Shabby Princess & Kelly Shults), and I also needed an overhead to facilitate the class, but I had identified one I could borrow.

Good luck!!
Haley

jencaputo
07-16-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm sure Terra will jump in here but she's teaching the Digi Classes At Studio D in Naperville, IL. I got to guest teach this Saturday, i taught them all how to use my digital sketch templates and everyone went home with a finished and printed page! It was great fun :)

javamama
07-16-2006, 04:36 PM
I love teaching!! Totally fun! I have taught several digital classes at a wonderfully progressive LSS and will do an adult ed one later this year.

My classes have been lecture style b/c people didn't have lap tops and were about 90 min long. Actually I talked for 60 and then left 30 for questions. Most were aimed at beginners. If you have never talked in front of a group, that can be hard. Fortunately for me my day job involves giving 2 hour medical lectures. I find it easiest to talk when there is something they can look at other than me LOL - like a slide or a screen.

With a small group I use my laptop and bring along a large flat screen monitor. I also bring my own mouse since I find the laptop one hard to use. I also bring an extension cord and power strip - they never seem to have enough plugs and they always seem to be too far away!! If you are speaking in front of a large group, a projector which projects your screen maybe needed. You probably know this but you sit or stand facing your students with your laptop in front of you and they just follow the screen. That way your voice projects better and you can see what you are doing while still talking. If you don't have a projector or flat screen I have found my local computer store (a small one, not Best Buy) to be very wonderful about loaning me one as long as I mention their name :-)

As props I bring an album with both digital and biscraptual pages. People seem to want to touch the actual pages so I bring ones where it is ok if they get fingerprints all over the LO - that is, not my real albums but a smattering of styles and LOs.

You may have to gauge how much people are getting and adjust your talk accordingly. Some groups seem to understand everything and some are not even sure where their photos are. So sometimes my talk gets pretty far and sometimes we just seem to cover the basics. I keep a cheat sheet with me with a long and short version - that is a list of areas I want to cover and those I can expand on if there is time.

My talk is basically this - an introduction to digital (what it is); a bit about how to find digital kits and software (very short); a tour around whatever program I am using showing them the tools etc; and then I do a very very simple LO ( one photo, two pieces of paper, some text and a few doodads) As I do the LO I talk about things - shadowing, cropping, resizing, layering etc. Lastly how to save the LO and a bit about printing. The first time I taught I used a more complicated LO and could not get through it. So keep it really really simple.

Have written material for them. They need to read the stuff when they get home. Include your email for questions later (if you want). My handout is basically the same as the talk so they can take notes on it.

Decide if you want to let them ask questions along the way - I do - but it can be distracting.

Include resources for them. Most have no idea what you are talking about when you say 2Peas - they need the whole reference. :-) Sites with stores, sites for tutorials, and designers and software. I usually include a list of software with pros and cons on each so they know that although they saw me use PS or FxFoto, they can use other software too.

The first one is the hardest I think but it gets much easier after that. My first one was for a group of professional photographers - yikes!! It might help you to remember that you are the expert and they came to learn from you. The hardest thing is if you get a question you can't answer. I always tell them I don't know but offer to find the answer and email them with it. People always seem fine with that LOL

Whew! This was much longer than I thought it would be - sorry about that!! But I love teaching!

jenniferpebbles
07-16-2006, 05:27 PM
susan, thanks for that info- great idea about getting a shop do loan the flatscreen, etc!!

I think you have inspired me to get a program together in my area...

lcbannon
07-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Mary Rose, Thanks for the boost. I was actually a debator in High School and worked the last 12 years of my career as a Closer for a Title Co. and have been a City Councilwoman in our community for the last 3 years, so speaking has never (according to my family) been a problem for me. The big issue I see I may have is the amount of prior computer experience the group may have. They may range from one end to the other of the spectrum. I too intend to have printed LO's, books I have had printed and trade publications for them to look at, along with printed hand outs on everything from lingo to site and resources. I think this will be a great time for all. I hope we see more and more classes pop up around the country. Digital Scrapping is still in the beginning stages but coming up FAST..

Jasbeanie
07-16-2006, 08:28 PM
i have been approached to.. may work something out for next year perhaps. hahaa.

i do teach altered art and stuff at our LSSs on ocassions too.