PDA

View Full Version : can someone explain "brushes" to me?

Stacey1972
07-16-2006, 03:12 PM
i am not quite sure i understand what they are / how they work.

Mellykat
07-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Hey me too...and I hate reading instructions...I have a 4-dvd tutorial gathering dust on my desk! I'd rather figure stuff out on my own but I haven't taken the time to work on the brushes.

Melany :)

Rhoda Jayne
07-16-2006, 03:54 PM
I bought a set today & don't know what to do with them yet. I bought a set at Dianne's ShabbyElements site & her sets come with png images.
I haven't seen a tutorial on how to make a piece of background paper using brushes. I don't have Photoshop so I hope I can find something for Photo Impact XL or PSP 8 or 9.

~Margie~
07-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Think of a brush as a rubber stamp. But in Photoshop, you can change the size of the stamp. You can also use any color, pattern, change the rotation or axis, emboss, shadow, etc. The brush file is an .abr, and you can set up a folder specifically for the brushes you want to install. Many designers include individual .png files for customers who do not use Photoshop.

Using my gallery (link below) for visual examples, the leaves in the upper right of the Smirkette layout were made with a brush.

In my UDS entry, the pattern behind the journaling was a brush.

I made the frame in Jaime's Graduation from a brush, using blending modes and embossing.

And in the Tranquility UDS layout, I created the brush of the bridge using the photo.

KimChristensen
07-16-2006, 04:34 PM
A brush is like a combination of a rubber stamp and a paint brush. When you click just once, it stamps like a rubber stamp, but if you click and drag, it sweeps the stamp across like a paintbrush in the shape of your stamp.