PDA

View Full Version : NSBR - New York hotel recommendations?

Lauren
07-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Ok, I know at least one of you just got back from New York because I commented on it, but I searched and cannot find the gallery post or the blog entry in my history! BTW, did you know we've had 1000 layouts uploaded in less than a week? How awesome is that!!

Anyway... does anyone have any hotel recommendations for New York? Ben (DH) and I have decided that even though we are saving every penny towards buying a house, we NEED to take this trip now or we never will - it's one of our last dream destinations. I tried TripAdvisor but the reviews are SO mixed that I got scared and promptly closed that tab so I thought I'd try here, since you have the answers for everything. ;)

Would prefer Midtown on the East Side, but I'll have a look at any that are in Manhattan and at least three stars (or an excellent two star) but we're not talking Waldorf Towers prices! :lol:

JenniferWoodbury
07-16-2006, 04:26 PM
The Westin Times Square is nice and not too expensive (in New York terms). Great location too.

http://www.westinny.com/

One of my favorite little hotels on the Upper East Side near Bloomingdale's is the San Carlos Hotel. Very nice, but the prices can be a little more expensive. Here's the website:

http://www.sancarloshotel.com/index.asp

I used to live in the city, but those are the only hotels I've actually stayed in. But let me know what other places you guys are thinking of. My DH is in the city at least twice a month and he knows a lot about all the hotels in and around Midtown.

jennv
07-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Ohh.. same here as Jenn. We used to live there and I (before kids) was up there weekly on business. DH goes up 2 times a month now for business and always stays in the Westin (Times Square). My favorite was the Omni Berkshire (near Saks), but I also loved the W in midtown on the east side. The Marriott Marquis (very touristy) isn't horrible and has a great location in Times Square. So does the Grand Hyatt (right over Grand Central Station). Those can be very reasonable sometimes.

I love some of the boutique-y ones, but I stay in those on an expense account and they can be quite pricey.

Have fun...NY is one of my absolute favoritist places!!

traci
07-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Lauren -

I pm'd you!

Traci

Lauren
07-16-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks Jenns! ;)

I love the look of the San Carlos, that is now a definite possibility! And the Westin is very cool, so maybe if I fancy the West Side. Off to check out the others now - the W is one of the ones I first looked at that got the very mixed reviews.

Keep 'em coming - I'm having fun! :lol:

rmcabana
07-16-2006, 06:59 PM
I go to NYC a lot but don't ever stay since i live just across the river, but a friend just stayed in the Marquis and really liked it. :)

Tracie
07-16-2006, 07:14 PM
If you stay at the Weston... be sure to say "hi" to my dh... he's there every week Mon-Thurs. :D

mmy2vce
07-16-2006, 08:31 PM
My friend is a manager at the Marriott East Side...supposed to be nice...running about $237/Night. Don't know if that fits in your price range, but it seems average to me for NYC.

They also have some bed and breakfast in NYC...I think there is one attached to Sara Beth's Kitchen on the upper east side.

Here is a website: http://www.bednbreakfastnyc.com/

Lauren
07-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks again everyone!

I searched for the Westin and found a great deal (well, as great as they can be considering flight prices from here to anywhere but Europe) in September, so we're all booked! Five days in New York!! :D

I'll be sure to say hello to everyone's husbands and they can say hello to mine. :lol:

jennv
07-17-2006, 10:05 AM
oh...you are going to have so much fun!!! Now I want to plan an "alone" trip with my hubby!!!

mmy2vce
07-17-2006, 10:12 AM
You'll have a blast! ENJOY!!! :D

GinaMiller
07-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Ooooh Lauren - you'll be so close to me! ;) Maybe we can say HI in person.

Lauren
07-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Gina, we could hit the B&H superstore together and do some serious damage to the saving plans! :lol: