PDA

View Full Version : You designers don't get enough respect!!!

LauraKaye
07-16-2006, 06:34 PM
I have discovered a newfound respect and admiration for all of the awesome designers out there! I've attempted to make a few items on my own and it's so hard!! First, there is the coming up with the idea, then executing it, and then finding your mistakes!! Stray pixels and crazy stuff like that!!

I'd like to know more about how you proof your own work and what kind of things you watch out for when you look over them. So far, I've figured out that it helps to actually drag elements into a layout and make sure they still look okay and that there aren't any surprises to be found.

Anyone want to share??

KristinCB
07-16-2006, 06:37 PM
I find a really easy way for finding stray pixels is adding a stroke to whatever layer so that you can really see where the extra stuff is

Ams
07-16-2006, 06:40 PM
I normally do a stroke and then I also put a dark and a light layer underneath it to see how it looks. :)

Lifelace
07-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi Laura!! Here are a few tips:

I always work on a 12x12 blank white page, that way all my elements will be proportionate. When making ribbons I will make the canvas wider of course so the ribbons can be put at an angle.

Zoom is your friend! Always zoom in at 100% and inspect to see if it all looks ok.

Then switch to a black background and look again.

When foing any sort of ''trimming/erasing etc....'' around an item, I always zoom in at 200-300% to see.

The simply add a bright red stroke to see if anything pops up.

When making the preview, I make it at full size on a 12x12 canvas, that way as you are adding items you get a feel for the way it looks. I add my drop shadows, flatten and then change it to 600x600 for the preview.

Then of course I always go back in my kit's folder one last time and just browse through everything to make sure it all looks good.

When using brushes, always make sure you use a size that is not larger than that brush's default size. Enlarging it will make it look pixelated. I find this is a common mistake among new designers.

Not sure what else, its all I can think of right now! HTH! :)

Mel

December Roses
07-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Great tips, Mel! I basically follow the same guidelines, but I admit to stressing over much about each item. Probably not a bad thing really, but it sure is time-consuming. lol! I have worked on a kit for a few days only to scrap the whole thing and start over. :roll:

Rather than a stroke, I add a drop shadow to the item I'm cleaning up and drag the slider of Spread all the way to the right. I turn the Size up to about 21. Then I can see exactly where any stray pixels are. I can erase with the drop shadow on to guide me. Then I "clear layer style." :)

Tracy

JeanellePaige
07-16-2006, 08:18 PM
I agree about the zoom. There's nothing like getting a kit with something blurry in it because if it's blurry, it will look BAD when printed. Detail is very important.

NishaM
07-16-2006, 08:26 PM
great tips everyone I like the stroke too :D Nisha

LauraKaye
07-17-2006, 03:27 AM
Great tips all! I'm off to try a few of them right now. Thank you so much for sharing them!

Andrea C.
07-17-2006, 04:44 AM
Can someone explain this whole stroke thing to me?? :?:

limabean
07-17-2006, 04:50 AM
Seriously, I'm a perfectionist and a little anal! I blow that puppy up like 200-300% right before I flatten. Not that anyone else can see it that way but I HATE, HATE, HATE jagged edges. Smooth and clean is how it has to be. But don't get me wrong I have had elements I've flattened and then I see something that I missed....then I start over. I also like using different colored BG's, mostly black because otherwise I would miss some flaws.

Hope that helps.