PDA

View Full Version : too much stuff- Digital ScrapRoom

drgnfly
07-16-2006, 08:17 PM
I have been spending hours organizing my scrapping supplies in Digital ScrapRoom. Dude, I have a lot of stuff! :) After 3 hours, I am only about 1/15 th through.

Now, I am sure that one could use the program without catorigizing item by item, but I thought it would be more useful if everything was organized. Prior to this, I have only had things groups by kits, making it hard to mix and match. I am excited to see how my scrapping will change with my new organization system. Yea! :)

TrishJones
07-16-2006, 08:22 PM
feel free to come on over and organise mine! LOL good for you - i get so slack with it.

Rhoda Jayne
07-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Are your kits still intact on your computer? I can't imagine everything being taken apart.

drgnfly
07-16-2006, 08:51 PM
The kits are still there, but they are also stored in other categories also now. The great thing about this program is that you can see a file in multiple places without it taking up extra room on your computer.

Mandy King (Mama Mia)
07-17-2006, 03:56 AM
I got the program, but need an in-depth tutorial on how to use it! What I've been doing is taking each kit and assigning what each piece is (i.e. paper, ribbon, tag, etc.) and then having to add keywords to each piece. The thought of doing this with my entire collection is overwhelming (esp since discovering this website and adding more every day!)! I've heard great things about this program and would love to be organized...am I missing something?

note: I am extremely unorganized in most other aspects of life as well, so I'm sure any complications or misunderstandings with the program on on the user end!! Why can't I be like Samantha on "Bewitched" and just wiggle my nose and voila! It would all be organized???

Mandy

dizkneenurse
07-17-2006, 05:10 AM
ya know Mandy , I have DSR and it took me a while to fiqure out how to make it work for me. I deleted the pre-set categories and made my own. I did it by designer, but you could do it by kit. You just have to find a way that you will know where everything is and how to use it.

In my "Jen Wilson" category I have each kit or CD listed as sub-category. Works for me. This took a bit of time and I am only about half done with this! UGH!

I personally like my kits together and NOT divided among elements categories.

Hope that might help!

heidi[/b]

nicunurse
07-17-2006, 07:27 AM
For those who use Digital Scraproom, are you using keywords or categories (or both) to "break apart" your kits?

dizkneenurse
07-17-2006, 07:30 AM
I made all my own categories...by designer. I didn't care for the pre-sets.

heidi

scrappinsweetie
07-17-2006, 07:33 AM
What is digital scraproom??? I am using my paint shop pro photo album to catagorize all my stuff. is there something out there better than that???

KellyandCo
07-17-2006, 07:41 AM
Very interesting...this is the first time I have seen it. I use Picasa and it looks similar but still hard for me to understand with files and folders and moving them and whatnot.... I wonder how different it is... does anyone have Picasa and DSR?

scrappinsweetie
07-17-2006, 07:46 AM
I am REALLY interested in this now considering it is only 20 bucks!!! I might just have to buy it to see!

dizkneenurse
07-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Couple of things that DSR has that Picasa lacks ( IMO) First you can see all PNGS...the right way. No crazy bits or extra background stuff

Also when you are working on a layout DSR will keep a list of all the supplies you used for proper credit. LOVE that feature !!

I only used Picasa briefly..the PNG thing made me nuts!

Did that help?? LOL

Here is a great review by Amy of SBB

http://scrapbook-bytes.com/chat/showthread.php?t=22150

She added great screen shots and great info..this is what sold me on it!

heidi

beaucat
07-17-2006, 07:51 AM
I started off using categories: I have a category for designer and then subsets under that for kits (like the OP). Then I have another set of categories by type: brush (subsets - doodle, decorative, floral, border, word, alpha, grunge), elements (staple, eyelet, brad, flower, etc.), alphas (fabric, chipboard, etc). If anyone's interested let me know and I'll make a list of what the categories I've created are and I'll put that list on my blog.

I have now also started tagging things (sometime's it hard for me to remember whether I've categorized something so I figure with tagging it will be easy to tell.) Tagging takes longer though (with categorizing you just drag and drop.)

Angela

VickiStegall
07-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Oh! This sounds wonderful!!!! Did you say you can organize brushes in there too? Maybe this would help me not lose stuff (probably not if you still have to remember to save LOL)!

Definately going to check it out, thanks for posting this!!!

scrappinsweetie
07-17-2006, 08:11 AM
OOOOHHH HEIDI you EVIL woman you!!! I think your post just sold me on it! I see that on Aug. 1 they are going to have an update that will allow you to see "offline" images that you burn to cd! that is a MUST for me! so i am sooo happy to hear! I think i will wait until then to buy it! Thanks you :twisted: woman!

Keely~B
07-17-2006, 08:13 AM
I switched to DSR from PS Album. PS Album was extremely slow and I had a hard time keeping things backed up. It literally took me weeks to get everything organized but it's so nice when it's done. The credit keeping and PNG features are fabulous and you can't beat the price. I have all my kits by designer and then the individual pieces go into categories. It runs pretty well considering the vast amount of supplies that I have loaded in there. The few things I'd change about the program are minor, I'd recommend it to anyone.

My big problem with Picassa is that I don't want to import every image on my computer. I like that DSR is really geared toward digital scrapping.

dizkneenurse
07-17-2006, 08:16 AM
Laura...sooooo sorry :lol: I hate be an enabler (hehe) I am usually the enablee ( I don't think that is even a word! LOL)

:D :D

Have fun!

heidi

scrappinsweetie
07-17-2006, 08:42 AM
sure you're sorry! tell my hubby that...rotfl :D

bttrflygrl
07-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Does anyone have experience with BOTH DSR and PS Organizer? Can you make a comparison here? Ease of use, etc. I read somewhere that When browsing files in DSR you need to open each kit folder to see what's inside, where in Organizer you can just scroll through the contents of every folder w/o having to open each one indivudually. True? Any other critical differences besides DSR's ability to import source info?

drgnfly
07-17-2006, 04:03 PM
Does anyone have experience with BOTH DSR and PS Organizer? Can you make a comparison here? Ease of use, etc. I read somewhere that When browsing files in DSR you need to open each kit folder to see what's inside, where in Organizer you can just scroll through the contents of every folder w/o having to open each one indivudually. True? Any other critical differences besides DSR's ability to import source info?

I have used PS organizer, Picassa, and now Digital ScrapRoom. The benifit of DSR for me is that I can have the same file shown in multiple places without taking up more room on my hard drive. For example, I can have a 5mb ribbon grouped with my kit, in the ribbon folder, and tagged with the color. Instead of it taking up 15 mb (because it is stored in three places) as it would with PS and Picassa, it only takes up the 5 mb. Does that make sense? Probably not, huh. :)

greenBandit
07-17-2006, 04:38 PM
So what is the learning curve on this program. I understand that it is time consuming but is it actually easy to figure out?

donna