PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my list of "What digital designers should

strangejen
07-17-2006, 09:25 AM
I've been working on this list for quite a while . . . I finally had the chance to put it up at jenstrange.com

is there anything you think I should add? Just let me know!!!
http://www.jenstrange.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=159&Itemid=94

jen

KimChristensen
07-17-2006, 09:33 AM
I got one :)

Previews included in zips de not need to be big giant full resolution jpegs that take up space on my HD :) Online viewing previews are fine and still print out fine when printed somewhat smaller for contact sheet type purposes.

Bill
07-17-2006, 10:02 AM
This is great Jen!

I especially like the last item under Customer Service / Community. If only the folks at 2 Peas got that idea... :roll:

Kathryn Balint
07-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Thanks, Jen!

angedawn
07-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Jen,
That is a great list and an awesome resource.

Could you clarify what you mean by this right here:

~ I've love to see downloadable/printable lists from each designer of ALL their stuff -- especially those with a ton of kits. That way I could keep track of what I have and what I want from a particular person. This, of course, would need to be updated on a regular basis in order to be effective.

Like are you thinking a notepad file that list all their kits and items? Just curious what you had in mind for that? Is my site and the way it is set up anything helpful to you in this regard? Just curious!

mikki
07-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Thank you ~ that's a fantastic list!!!

strangejen
07-17-2006, 10:44 AM
ok, first of all Ange -- your stuff is GORGEOUS!!!!! Holy cow! Hmm, I may have to earmark the next money I get to come play at your place. LOL.

Anyway, are you talking about how you have your stuff listed here:http://www.angedawndesigns.com/designs-page.htm Because that's a good example of seeing all the titles all in once place.

I guess what I was thinking of when I wrote that, was Jen Wilson -- I buy a TON of her stuff, and she has SO MUCH in her store. Sometimes I can't remember what I do and don't have already from her. So to have a file I could print out that listed all her "lines" of kits and the names of each with a little box to check next to them . . . this would especially be effective for people who have different things at different stores. So when someone is a huge fan, they can make sure they get everything. LOL.

jen

angedawn
07-17-2006, 10:54 AM
OH Jen... thanks for the compliment! :) You're a sweetie! :)

OK, I'm glad to know that page on my website is helpful then! :) Most of my stuff is easy to know if you have it or not where the kits are numbered, but still embellishments and other things aren't... so I guess it serves some purpose there! A word file or something would be good too... maybe I'll add that! :)

Your list is a great resource! :) Tons of great advice on there! :) Thanks for compiling it Jen!

lcbannon
07-17-2006, 11:03 AM
I would like to ask all designers to label EACH file with their name, not just on the TOU, or preview but each and every dang file, free or not and if it is an abbreviation better be one I can figure out easy or giving them credit is gonna be tough and I do like to give credit but feel that designers should tag their files in a way that I can do that easily.

aggietha
07-17-2006, 11:05 AM
ok, first of all Ange -- your stuff is GORGEOUS!!!!! Holy cow! Hmm, I may have to earmark the next money I get to come play at your place. LOL.

Anyway, are you talking about how you have your stuff listed here:http://www.angedawndesigns.com/designs-page.htm Because that's a good example of seeing all the titles all in once place.

I guess what I was thinking of when I wrote that, was Jen Wilson -- I buy a TON of her stuff, and she has SO MUCH in her store. Sometimes I can't remember what I do and don't have already from her. So to have a file I could print out that listed all her "lines" of kits and the names of each with a little box to check next to them . . . this would especially be effective for people who have different things at different stores. So when someone is a huge fan, they can make sure they get everything. LOL.

jen

I would love the checklist kind of idea...:D

TaniaJPS
07-17-2006, 11:06 AM
I've been working on this list for quite a while . . . I finally had the chance to put it up at jenstrange.com

is there anything you think I should add? Just let me know!!!
http://www.jenstrange.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=159&Itemid=94

jen

I thought it was a very interesting read. You are such a talented writer, Jen!

LemonaideLinda
07-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Good heavens, woman! When do you sleep?!
That's a treasure chest of useful info for anyone who scraps:
digital, paper, newbie, designer, anyone with a pulse.
Ya know, someone else would have made that into a book and charged $22.95 for all that stuff in your head. You're either a. very nice or
b. very crazy or c. choose any combination of above
(since you don't know me, allow me to say that I'm just kidding and hope my ramblings are viewed in the right attitude.)
I'd like to say a sincere "thank you" for sharing that info and organzing it into such comprehensive topics. Must have been quite an undertaking.
Okay, enough from the nervy new chick with the big mouth.

strangejen
07-17-2006, 11:18 AM
Ya know, someone else would have made that into a book and charged $22.95 for all that stuff in your head. You're either a. very nice or b. very crazy or c. choose any combination of above

bwah ha ha ha ha. The truth? C! heh.

I believe in the digital community. I want for it to grow and flourish. I want ALL designers to do well -- or at least have a fighting chance.

Okay, enough from the nervy new chick with the big mouth Girl, you can come sit by me anytime and chat away. You make me laugh. I like nervy chicks with big mouths. :D

jen

mrs2a50
07-17-2006, 11:48 AM
I would LOVE it if all designers put what font they used for the word embellishments in the TOU/Read me. Especially if those embellishments also include blank ones.

HelenaJole
07-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Great stuff, Jen! I would also add that when creating a TOU in Notepad, do-it-yourself paragraph formatting makes it a lot easier to read. (put in your own line breaks)

lisahoo
07-17-2006, 01:15 PM
AMEN, SISTAH!

LOVE your point about TOU in .txt format!
I have actually taken those ANNOYING Word files and made them into .txt files -- YES, I am a nerd! But sometimes you need a little extra space when you are making CD backups of your precious digi materials!

AND if I might add -- when you add a TOU graphic, make sure the filesize isn't too huge -- same reason.

I'll add one more thing -- BUY YOUR NAME as a DOMAIN NAME!!!
Ok, so not everyone's name is still available, but some variation might be! For only $15 a year, you can "own" your name -- and even if you don't want to run your own store, you can at least set it up to link to your blog and you can make sure folks can always find you even if you switch which stores you sell at.

NOTE -- I tell this to all my real estate agent web clients, but the same principles apply to digi designers, too! Or anyone who is in business for themselves, for that matter. You want to OWN YOUR NAME!!!

rocalisa
07-17-2006, 01:59 PM
I agree with everyone - fantastic list.

Something I would like to see in alphas is a dash/hyphen (-) and please, please include a comma as then it can be used as an apostrophe as well. I've have tried to covert a bit of an alpha to an apostrophe before today and my graphics skills aren't really up to it.

I'll also add my vote to telling up what font you used if you have elements with writing on them. Add a blank and tell us the font and then we can make extra to coordinate if we need them.

Love the checklist idea too.

Great work Jen.

SteinwaysMom/DebraTope
07-17-2006, 02:05 PM
This is a great resource, Jen.

I thought I read somewhere here that DigiscrapDivas was going out of biz...

Ditto on designer naming of files. Sometimes I move stuff around so having to do stuff like rename "brownpaper.jpg" to "designerXbrownpaper.jpg" gets annoying - also, not having the name is a convenient excuse for pirates who share files and claim to not know who made it.

I have seen the following on TOU graphics and it's really effective:

If you did not download this from www.xxxxwebsite.com then the download was illegal.

Sherry Ferguson
07-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks for this great article, Jen. I think you've made many good points that some of us never would have thought of. :)

Misty Mareda
07-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Jen you rock girl!!! I was at your site today looking for something!

limabean
07-17-2006, 02:58 PM
This is awesome Jenn and a great source for Designers! Now when someone asks me the general stuff I will be able to send em' your way.

Thanks!

VickiStegall
07-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Oh good grief, I just always get so lost in wonderland on your site Jen! Fab work ma'am!!!!!

Thanks for this list! Very informative indeed!

Bertalander
07-18-2006, 06:50 AM
LOVED it Jen.

katef
07-18-2006, 07:19 AM
Great resource Jen.... love it that I can learn new stuff all the time! Well done!

Kate

LemonaideLinda
07-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Ya know, someone else would have made that into a book and charged $22.95 for all that stuff in your head. You're either a. very nice or b. very crazy or c. choose any combination of above

bwah ha ha ha ha. The truth? C! heh.

I believe in the digital community. I want for it to grow and flourish. I want ALL designers to do well -- or at least have a fighting chance. jen

That fits the mental pic I'm gettin here. That you are a unique individual.

Okay, enough from the nervy new chick with the big mouth Girl, you can come sit by me anytime and chat away. You make me laugh. I like nervy chicks with big mouths. :D jen

My grandma would say something about birds of a feather... but you're right, it is more fun to sit in the pew next to someone who has more inside knowhow about what went on Saturday night rather than Sunday morning's sermon.

Marcie Reckinger
07-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Oh Jen this looks great! I think you covered about everything!

Hollie
07-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Awesome, Jen!!

I'd like to add a hyphen--use those ALL the time (LOL :)), comma and apostrophe (can't remember what you listed) for alpha sets. I know I didn't see the hyphen.

Also--a HUGE deal to me: please please please mention if your elements contain drop shadows or not! I know Miss Mint does this and I soooo appreciate it. Some designers add drops to a select few elements that really need them to be created properly and I know that, but some description that lets me know what I am getting is soo helpful. I have bought so many elements that I will probably never use (or don't like to use) b/c the drop shadows are totally inconsistent with mine--it makes me want to cry.

Oh yes, and I really appreciate it when designers make "corner" type elements for all 4 corners b/c the lighting is different for each. If you just flip and rotate one, then it looks funny b/c the light and shadows are wrong. Also elements that are bracket style would need 2 for the same reasons.

THANKS!!

debbie.pearson
07-18-2006, 06:52 PM
Jen, I have read this all the way through a few times now. There is just a ton of great information here for designers. I'm always amazed at your generosity towards this community of hours. My humble thanks.

strangejen
07-19-2006, 05:23 AM
That you are a unique individual.

yes, that's what my mommy tells me.

ha ha ha ha.

to everyone who posted suggestions: thanks!!!! I'll try to add your suggestions to the article today.

to all the designers who posted to the thread: you're welcome! I'm glad you've found it helpful!

rock on, yo!

jen

suzy
07-19-2006, 06:16 AM
Thanks Jen- what an awesome list!!! I have bookmarked it and will come back to it often!

strangejen
07-19-2006, 01:17 PM
ok, updates with your suggestions have been made, and some of you have been quoted. :D

jen

lcbannon
07-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Jen, girl you have tons of time on your site and you listened to us all. Designers and just customers. Wonderful and very informative article. Thank you so much. I refer to your site all the time for this that and the other.

gretgrrl
07-19-2006, 02:32 PM
One other suggestion. I don't like it when papers are named Paper1, Paper2, Paper3, Paper4. Some description in the file name is welcome, like GreenStriped, GreenFloral, RedTextureSolid or whatever. I often have dozens of files open in Elements at a time, and I like to go to the right file from my Window menu. Makes it easier to get to the right one.

If there's a kit specifically designed for one sex, if it could work for the opposite, I'd love to have the option to buy an add-on element pack. For instance, if there's a sports-themed kit that has word art like "Best Ball Boy," offer a separate add-on with word art like "Best Ball Girl." That's nice for those of us with gender-confused kids! (Just kidding. But some of my girls are into sports and horses and other typical boy stuff.) This wouldn't work all the time, but for those instances it does, I'd love to have the option to buy.

shallotlady
07-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Wow Jen - what a great resource. I'm going to print it out right now and get out my hi-lighter! Special thanks for the drop shadow information.