PDA

View Full Version : Need your imput again -- digi equipment costs!

strangejen
07-17-2006, 09:36 AM
I'm almost done writing up an article for jenstrange.com about the TRUE costs of digital scrapbooking -- all of them, the computer, the flat-screen monitors, the Wacom tablets, the Photoshop program, etc etc.

So I was wanting to know some price-points from you all so I have a more rounded understanding of what people are paying for things.

If you could let me know what you paid for or what you have seen the price listed for the following:

Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements
Flat Screen Monitors (how big?)
External Hard Drives (how big?)
Digital Cameras (how many pixels?)
Wacom Tablet (how big?)
Negative Scanners
DVR Burner
Color Printer and ink and paper
High Speed Internet service
other expenses?

THANKS!!!!

jen

mrs2a50
07-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements: DIP - $40 ($80 with a $40 rebate)
Flat Screen Monitors (how big?) ??
External Hard Drives (how big?) 250 GB (networkable) $200
Digital Cameras (how many pixels?): 5MP, 12x optical zoom, non-SLR $400
Wacom Tablet (how big?) ??
Negative Scanners ??
DVR Burner ??
Color Printer and ink and paper: HP Photoprinter all-in-one $225 (on sale), ink $60 for all cartridges, paper $20 (but I don't print from home anymore, so I don't go through the ink like I used to. When I did, it ran me about $65/month)
High Speed Internet service: $40/month (I think, its tied in with our cable too)
other expenses?

Lauren
07-17-2006, 10:04 AM
My actual costs are in Sterling, but I've converted them for you.

Photoshop CS (upgrade from bundled PSE) - $450
Laptop - 15.4" widescreen - $1,500
Digital Cameras - 8mp dSLR and basic accessories $1000 (plus lens upgrades, but I use Ls so haven't included them)
Wacom Tablet (how big?) - 6x8 Graphire - $130
Color Printer - $125
Ink and paper - $75 per full set of paper and ink

I think that's all my technical costs. Although, because I do graphic design and photography, most of this wasn't purchased specifically for scrapping. But they're still some costs for you.

GinaMiller
07-17-2006, 10:09 AM
I'll help ya as best I can right now, with Aladdin BLARING in the background. :shock: :lol:

Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements: CS2 $899

Flat Screen Monitors (how big?) see below

Digital Cameras (how many pixels?) Canon Rebel $1000

Wacom Tablet (how big?) 4x5 - $100

DVR Burner see below

Color Printer and ink and paper - I used to spend $75 for paper and a set of black and colored ink (about once a month). Now I order my prints out and pay $1.99 a page.

other expenses? Well, my monitor & DVR burner was included in my new computer purchase. Are you interested in the expense if someone buys a computer right off the bat: $2500 for a DELL (19" Ultra-sharp monitor, 2 gigs of RAM, 320GB hard drive).

I also bought a new laptop solely for this hobby :lol: That was about $1500 a year ago.

And of course, kits and kits and more kits. But really, I've never tallied that up.

BeckyO (AlmostMex)
07-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Laptop - Dell Inspiron $700
Photoshop Elements 4.0 - $40 Purchased on Day after Thanksgiving sales (bundled with Adobe Premiere Elements -videoediting software)
External Hard Drives (how big?) - 80MB EHD - $80
Digital Cameras (how many pixels?) - Kodak 5MP - $400
DVR Burner - I use my dad's, but I think it cost him about $150
High Speed Internet service - $40/month (we don't have it yet, but if we did, that's the monthly cost in our area)
Printing - $2 per 6x6 layout, and I've printed about 50 layouts in 6 months.

strangejen
07-18-2006, 04:32 AM
thanks for your input so far!

anyone else?

jen

Scrappylove
07-18-2006, 05:10 AM
Photoshop Elements= 99.00 initally now approx 40.00
Flat Screen Monitors (how big?) 17 inch 179.00
External Hard Drives (how big?) 200 GB 79.99 (on sale & rebate)
Digital Cameras (how many pixels?) 4 199.00 (2 yrs ago)
Wacom Tablet (how big?) 4x9? $100.00 (and got a rebate)
Negative Scanners
DVR Burner
Color Printer and ink and paper- Epson r1800 529.00 /epson scrapbook paper 12x12 size approx $2-3 per layout)
High Speed Internet service 29.99 a month (DSL)
other expenses- i bought a new desk top last october spent 1500.00 including the flat screen monitor.

now wanting a laptop!

toodlesyall
07-18-2006, 05:29 AM
Hi, Jen!

Photoshop Elements 3.0 : $80
Flat Screen Monitors (how big?): 17" for $100 with rebate
External Hard Drives (how big?): 150GB for $100 with rebate (which I never got by the way, but that is another story)
Digital Cameras (how many pixels?):
Wacom Tablet (how big?): 4x5 $100 and came bundled with PSE 3.0
Negative Scanners
DVR Burner
High Speed Internet service
other expenses?:
wrist gel to avoid carpal tunnel - $10
time to scrap - priceless (couldn't resist)

Thanks for doing this!
FShea :D

Liss07
07-18-2006, 05:30 AM
Can I add in my costs in £ sterling? Prices are very different in the UK and things cost more money generally than in the US, but here's mine so far:

Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements - I was lucky and got PS7 for very cheap but CS2 costs £499 here.
Digital Cameras (how many pixels?) - Kodak Easyshare £149 (desperate for a new one!)
Wacom Tablet (how big?)
Negative Scanners
DVR Burner
Color Printer and ink and paper - Canon Pixma iP4200 £100, 100 sheets of Canon paper £21.99 and full ink set £49.
High Speed Internet service - 1MB broadband £17.99 per month
other expenses? Laptop - £649 and desktop with 17" flatscreen monitor - £599

mlewis
07-18-2006, 05:47 AM
Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements - $40 PSE4 on sale
Flat Screen Monitors (how big?) - 19" came free with my new desktop ($1200)
Digital Cameras (how many pixels?) Nikon D50, 6mp, $600
Wacom Tablet (how big?)
Negative Scanners
DVR Burner
High Speed Internet service - $30
other expenses? - cost of printing pictures, $2/page and I print about 30 pages/month.

AmyTeets
07-18-2006, 06:45 AM
Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements - cs2 899
Flat Screen Monitors (how big?) 17'' 300
External Hard Drives (how big?) 250 GB 100 had a rebate :D
Digital Cameras (how many pixels?) mines old :D
Wacom Tablet (how big?)
Negative Scanners
DVR Burner
Color Printer and ink and paper - Wide Format 300 , ink refils 50
High Speed Internet service - 40other expenses?
Laptop- 400 bought used
Regular Scanner- 80

Diamante
07-18-2006, 07:25 AM
Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements $899
Flat Screen Monitors (how big?) included with computer below
External Hard Drives (how big?) don’t have one yet
Digital Cameras (how many pixels?) $1000 Sony 717 (bought 4yrs ago so more than likely a lot cheaper these days)Wacom Tablet (how big?) 4x5 $9
Negative scanner- none
DVR Burner – included with computer below
Color Printer and ink and paper $300 Epson cx6400, paper $20, $60 (I don’t really print too much)High Speed Internet service $30
other expenses? Digi kits average $6 each (not sure how much a month)
New Computer – Gateway 64 X2 Processor 4200+ Dual processor 2Gigs memory, 320GB HD, CD & DVD RW
Extra HD - 320 GB $179 (was already purchased before the pc)

Emmy
07-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Jen I would be cautious not to make the costs of digital scrapping seem too daunting to newbies - I think when we start throwing around all these big numbers it seems a bit inaccessable kwim? Particularly when many of the items listed aren't really a *need* to digital scrap and some of them many scrappers already have simply because they use digital cameras. Digital scrapping is also like any hobby - people tend to throw more money into it the more they get engrossed into the hobby. What isn't a necessity becomes a want and a fun add on. You know all this I'm sure - I just hate to see newbies be discouraged by the huge price tags - particularly when many can start digital scrapping today with just what they have on hand.

Here are some thoughts below:

Photoshop CS - Yes the full version of this is several hundred dollars but it can also be had from academic superstore for $290. Not everyone qualifies to purchase from there but *lots* of people will fulfill the requirement. I would also stress that for many digital scrappers a less expensive program like PSE will be just fine until they are really obsessed. :)

Flat Screen Monitors (how big?) Don't have one and it's certainly not a need, more of a fun luxury item.

External Hard Drives (how big?) Deals on these can be found at buy.com and other online sites. A good sized EHD can be found for $100 or so.

Digital Cameras (how many pixels?) I know digital scrappers that use $200 cameras and ones that use $1500 cameras. And of course there are the digi scrappers out there that are actually pro photographers IRL that use cameras costing thousands.....Truthfully any digital camera would work right? I would say maybe a minimum of a 3.0 megapixel camera....

Wacom Tablet (how big?) Totally not a necessity but a fun extra they might want later. I don't think this is something that is needed right away by any means. (can you tell I don't have one? :p)

Negative scanner- I think these run $100-$300 but again not *needed* to start digi scrapping.

DVR Burner – came on my computer.

Color Printer and ink and paper - Prices will range depending on whether printer is standard or wide format and for the longevity of ink. For a standard printer with a longevity of 25 years I think you can get a printe for about $100-$150. If you want 100-200 years longevity it will be about $400. Wide format (for 12x12 prints) are more expensive but the costs will be similar - less expensive for the 25 year longevity, more expensive for long term longevity.

High Speed Internet service $50 month

SteinwaysMom/DebraTope
07-18-2006, 08:05 AM
New wide screen HP laptop w/2 gig memory: $1100 (had to buy it because my old laptop did not have enough memory to run 12x12 LO's in Photoshop w/multiple layers - so I got 2 gig of memory)
Wacom 4x5 tablet: $70 (E-bay deal - normally $95) - I hardly ever use this.
Photo Printer: $80 (E-bay deal on Canon Pixma - normally $129; I normally pay $2 for an 8x8 print at that service affiliated w/2 Peas); a wide format printer is not necessary if you go with 8x8's instead of 12x12's.
Photoshop 7.0: $350 (E-bay deal on full version of Photoshop 7.0 - I was using Elements prior to digiscrapping but I have found full features like curves and drop shadow control to be useful for serious digiscrapping - you can get PS Elements 2.0 for a ridiculously low price like $20 on E-bay, however and it will be fine for most people)
Photo Scanner - $100 (Epson Perfection - bought it about 4 years ago; it has a negative scanner but I never used film so I don't need it).
Digital Camera: $500 (including charger and accessories - bought Olympus C3000 refurbished on E-bay about 4 years ago - 3.0 megapixel. It would be great to have a DSLR but my camera is really fine)
RoadRunner - $40/month (this is an essential - I can't imagine doing this w/dialup!) + wireless router ($80)

----------------------------
To be honest, I could have done w/o most of this but I love digiscrapping so much that it was worth it to me to make the investment. A lot of it is wants vs. needs. I would never recommend that a new person buy Photoshop CS, for example - it's better to start small and see how serious you are about the hobby.

For a budget conscious person, E-bay is a great source of deals. I think if you are willing to buy older models of equipment on E-bay you can really save a bundle. And kit-wise, there are so many wonderful freebies.

Crecia
07-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements - PSP, I got it free when DH's work decided it was too complicated for them - I also got PE 3.0 with my Wacom,
Flat Screen Monitors (how big?) - I use my work laptop (shhh)
External Hard Drives (how big?) 200 GB $160
Digital Cameras (how many pixels?) Cannon 7.1 MP $350
Wacom Tablet (how big?) 4x5 $100 (with several pieces of software)
Color Printer and ink and paper & Scanner - HP $89 on sale, I print at Costco $2.99 for 12 x 12
High Speed Internet service - $20, but I would have that regardless
other expenses? - kits - I probably average $30 a month

Lucrecia

strangejen
07-18-2006, 08:24 AM
oh don't worry -- I'm going to specify that there's a big difference between wants and needs in digi. :D

jen

DeniseD
07-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Hey Jen,

I've gotta agree with Emmy on this one. There are lot of computer, hardware costs that I don't add into the cost of digital scrapping, to me. I have had a computer and software and internet access for professional reasons, for years. The digital camera is something I had for 1 1/2 years before digital scrapping. My husband is a gadget boy. :)

I hope a lot of people can use what they have at home. When they see price tags that are in the thousands, a lot of people might think digital scrapping is more expensive than paper scrapping. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but if you already have a computer, why factor in that number?

I'd be curious to see how many people had computers before they got into digital scrapping.

brittanylyn
07-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Something else that might be worth emphasizing...

My first PC laptop came with a host of programs, and when I discovered digi scrapping, I also discovered my PC had Microsoft PictureIt! which was the best starter I could have asked for--and I didn't even know it was there.

Oh, and the trial programs at Adobe.com really helped, too.

Ripal
07-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements Have it at work.. so, didn't need to buy it (I also work from home lot of time.. so, my boss had me install it on my home computer)
Flat Screen Monitors (how big?) see below.. came with computer
External Hard Drives (how big?) $100 for 250 Gb
Digital Cameras (how many pixels?) 8Mp $299 Pentex
Wacom Tablet (how big?) Bought it from Amazon free shipping for $89 came with PSE3.. so, if I didn't have PS already, I wouldn't need to buy another software anyway.
Negative Scanners - don't have it
DVR Burner Built in with computer
Color Printer and ink and paper Came with computer as bundle one of those cheaper color printer/copier/flat bed scanner... I get my LOs printed at Costco for $2.99 for 12x18 which is 1 12x12 and 2 6x6 for gift giving
High Speed Internet service I think it's $40?
other expenses? kits... kits... kits...

I got HP media center for $1199 that came with 1 Gb RAM, 250Gb HD, Dual layer DVD burner with lightscribe, TV Tuner, remote for TV, 19 in flat screen monitor and printer/scanner/copier.

Rhoda Jayne
07-18-2006, 03:41 PM
I don't even want to think about this :oops: :oops:
Jen, I don't know if you want to mention this in your article or not, but if you have a student in K-12, college, or involved in academics there could be ways to save money purchasing from an online store such as academicsuperstore.com
That's where I've bought software & an external hard drive.
Rhoda

tlccreates
07-18-2006, 07:31 PM
Photoshop CS, Photoshop Elements FotoFusion $39 then won upgrade to Pro version and then studio version was bait to get me to be a moderator (I also have pscs but most LOs are in FF)
External Hard Drives 200gig drive - $50 after rebate, external case with fan $40
Digital Cameras (how many pixels?) 6mb DRebel $850
Wacom Tablet (how big?) most recent 4x5 graphire $30 on clearance
Negative Scanners
DVR Burner
Color Printer and ink and paper wide body $300, continuous ink system $150, ink costs $50 for 4oz of 6 colors - in other words CHEAP ink
High Speed Internet service approx $50
other expenses? maid service so I can scrap, private cook, and chauffeur service for driving DD around - yeah, I wish ! ! ! !