PDA

View Full Version : Do you use all your kits?

jaylensmom
07-17-2006, 09:51 AM
When you buy kits do you use them right away? Do you buy when you like something or do you have a plan of action when you shop?

I ask because I'm new to all of this but each time I see a kit that I like I buy it and I have too many kits to count and only a few pages that I've actually completed. Everyday I see something else that I like...

Rachelle

mrs2a50
07-17-2006, 09:52 AM
HA! I have a folder on my desktop entitled "Unused Kits." It is bigger than I care to admit. There are probaby 75-80 kits in there. I'm a hopeless kit buyer.

HaleyW
07-17-2006, 09:54 AM
I wish I used every kit! I have so many beautiful kits that I haven't even touched -- it's terrible! I keep telling myself, "No more buying until I get some of these kits used," but apparently I am not listening to myself. I just keep buying and buying... :D

justkc
07-17-2006, 09:54 AM
If I see something I love and there is a sale going on - I buy it, regardless of my plans for it. But I also shop spur of the moment with a specific page in mind.

scrappinsweetie
07-17-2006, 09:59 AM
I am weird i know! And some of you will think i am an alien or something, but i HONESTLY try to use everything i buy at least once! Now i haven't been very good about it here lately but it is a promise i made myself when i went digital. I was such a hoarder with paper that i had to limit myself digi wise. Now i am a little outta control, but for the most part i DO use everything i buy :) like i said, i know i am weird :D

Liss07
07-17-2006, 10:00 AM
HAHA! I *try* to use everything, and lately for some reason I've been using freebies mixed in with my bought kits (blame that on all the fantastic ones that've been linked to on here hehe). I find that I buy the colours I know I will use like blues and greens, but I love pinks and have bought a few kits that I've yet to use.

Iheartjanda
07-17-2006, 10:03 AM
I used to! I have a 'to use' kit list, and am getting better at it since I've been on CTs, because I HAVE to use kits right away, but I still have lots of kits that I'm waiting for the perfect picture for.

Kathryn Balint
Rachelle,

I usually buy kits then end up finding photos to go with them. I have some kits that I purchased as long as a year ago that I haven't used yet. Yet I like to just go and look at them sometimes, hoping the right photo will come along.

I'm the same way with the kits I make. I have a bunch of them just sitting there that I have never used.

Hom74
I'm not even close! The hardest part is I move all my kits onto my EHD so I make it harder for myself to use them. And I also tend to go through my CT kits over and over and over again.

Lauren
07-17-2006, 10:07 AM
I am better at it now. I only have my CT stuff or things I know I want to use, so almost all of it does get used pretty quickly.

But the first six months or so of scrapping, I bought anything that I liked the look of. :lol: Most of that hasn't been used and has been archived because it's not even my style any more. :oops:

Emmy
07-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Most of my kits I haven't used are ones I bought in my first few months of digi scrapping when there wasn't nearly as much available (so I bought anything and everything that appealed to me). I have a much better idea now of what I will use and like. I don't tend to buy kits for a specific layout, instead I shop in sprees.....I'll buy a bunch of stuff I like and then scrap for a while then buy more....

angedawn
07-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Oh, I wish! :)

Darcy Baldwin
07-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Yes. But I've only purchased a few things so far. I'm pretty careful about what I buy..and use it like mad in the beginning. Who knows what it'll be like in another month or so when I get to start real shopping :)

Diamante
07-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Gosh...I have tons of kits I haven't used yet and keep telling myself over and over that I must use those before I buy more. LOL Doesn't seem to be working! :?

jencaputo
07-17-2006, 10:38 AM
yeah right I wish! I've probably used about 20% of the kits I've bought over all time.. i'm awful, if only I didn't have to work! :)

bttrflygrl
07-17-2006, 10:42 AM
No!!!!!! I am sooo bad about this. But.. I am getting better at using kits soon after buying them. I'm also trying to only shop when I need something specific. Right now I'm "trying" to be on a spending freeze so I can get some use out of my existing kits. After that I'll try to spend on a per-need basis only.

Note the number of times I used the word "try" in my reply, LOL!

jaylensmom
07-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Ok I don't feel so bad now :D

Leila
07-17-2006, 10:45 AM
The only kits that I have that haven't been used are kits that I thought would work for something but didn't. Unfortunately, that number is way too high!! :?

Joana
07-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Nooooo!
Not even close!

mmy2vce
07-17-2006, 10:47 AM
I buy way too many kits...and although I try to finish a page every day or two...as inspiration strikes, I never get through all my kits!!! : :lol:

TaniaJPS
07-17-2006, 10:50 AM
When you buy kits do you use them right away? Do you buy when you like something or do you have a plan of action when you shop?

I ask because I'm new to all of this but each time I see a kit that I like I buy it and I have too many kits to count and only a few pages that I've actually completed. Everyday I see something else that I like...

Rachelle

Heck no! :) I have hundreds upon hundreds of unused kits. Sad, really. Not to mention that I design kits too! So o top of all the other great designer work - I have my own. God love digiscrappin' hoarders like me :)

lcbannon
07-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Big hoarder over here, I have tons of freebies- thanks to wonderful designers ut also have about 100 kits, page packs etc that I have bought. If its on sale and catches my eye is about my only requirement, some did not even have to be on sale (lol)

Yvette
07-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Use all the kits I buy.... never gonna happen! Heck, I can't even use all the kits that I design lol. That's what happens when you design/buy pretty kits but only have boys!

Yvette

AmyPunky
07-17-2006, 11:43 AM
I don't use all the items of the kits but when I buy a kit I try to use it. Sometimes I wait a moment before using it and when I discover that I have a kit unused and a photo which fits perfectly with it, it's such a happy moment! LOL

Life is made with little pleasures I think ;)

Kim Mauch
07-17-2006, 11:45 AM
No. Not even close. But I do LOVE them, every last one. :D

Keely~B
07-17-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm glad I'm not alone! I'm horrible, I have lots and lots I've never used.

designs by krista
07-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Oh Rachelle ~ welcome to the club. I have so many kits ~ I will probably never use 1/4 of them, so sad. I just can't resist.

JanetPhillips
07-17-2006, 03:34 PM
I used to use all my kits...I really did. And then Jen Wilson had a 50% off sale...and then another 50% off sale and well, I just haven't scratched the surface of all that. And now with my CT stuff I don't usually have time to scrap with what I actully buy. Luckily I love the designers I scrap for so I don't feel too bad...but I would love to make dent in my JW stash and my Michelle Coleman goodies (but those are just so pretty that I am afraid to use them! LOL!)

nevache
07-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Glad I'm not the only one... have way more kits than I'll ever be able to use

Vanessa
07-17-2006, 03:40 PM
hahaha I glad I'm not the only one!! Big fat NO I have some many kits I haven't used yet. I'm so bad I want everything ROTFL!!

Barb Speck
07-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Well do you ever look at your kits in terms of using them to make card fronts that you design, print out and send to someone? or how about just sending friends your very own internet cards. If you do any paper scrapping or altered arts or any of that sort of thing do you look at your kits in those terms. I really got into the designing to show people that they could use their kits for more then just scrapping if they wanted to get more use out of them. I run a card crop once a month and those who attend have to make a card not a LO. If you've never done it try it. There are a lot of designers out there now designing the CD kits to make CD albums etc. The mini albums are a big deal right now and they look really neat printed out.

Rona
07-17-2006, 04:23 PM
I do TRY to use them all at least once....

jenniferpebbles
07-17-2006, 04:40 PM
holy moly no...

I get kits because I love them, and I try to use them right away, but sometimes I just love the paper but can't seem to use it in a way that I really love- still working on it though!!

~Margie~
07-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Define "use them". I open the folders, ooh and ahh, get all happy about the pretty things, then go to the next folder.

Ohhh, you mean scrap with them? Well...my scrapping can't keep up with my purchases. I'm definitely a horder. I.must.stop.buying.

~Margie~
07-17-2006, 10:09 PM
I used to use all my kits...I really did. And then Jen Wilson had a 50% off sale...and then another 50% off sale and well, I just haven't scratched the surface of all that.

ITA Janet! I'm a sale shopper, and I just can't pass up a good bargain. I'll buy a kit at a time if I have a specific need for it. BUT...show me a good sale, and I'm like a squirrel stocking up for winter! :lol:

Holly
07-17-2006, 10:13 PM
i've gotten better of stopping my spending. if i don't have a photo for it or an idea of how to use it, then i don't buy it. i am actually going through all my old kits and finally just going to bite the bullet and delete some! oh my - yes, i am....tired of them filling up space and i'll never use them.

Lisa
07-17-2006, 11:10 PM
yeah, right! totally lol right now! there is no way i can use ALL of my kits! i have kits i don't even know i have...if that makes sense lol :lol:

Julie
07-18-2006, 05:11 AM
LOL I'm in the same boat. I definitely don't. I'm such an impulse buyer. I'll see someone's layout using this really incredible kit and I just have to run off and buy it. Then there are the sales, oh the sales!

Elannah had started a yahoo group where we had to use a kit at least twice before we could buy anything else. It worked for a while :lol: and the group is still going strong, but we no longer play by the rules!

TrishJones
07-18-2006, 05:38 AM
i've gotten better of stopping my spending. if i don't have a photo for it or an idea of how to use it, then i don't buy it. i am actually going through all my old kits and finally just going to bite the bullet and delete some! oh my - yes, i am....tired of them filling up space and i'll never use them.

When you sort yours out......

Lizzie123
07-18-2006, 06:08 AM
I try to but it doesnt happen very often LOL. I have tons of stuff that I dont even hardly know what i have anymore. I just used a kit last night that I totally forgot I had LOL. I'm trying to figure out a system that will help me keep track of that though...but for now i have endless amounts of CDs since I dont have lots of memory on my laptop. I also shop when I see sales if at all possible. I'm on a limited budget and would love to buy more because there are so many beautiful kits out there. Otherwise if i cant find a kit to go with a picture...I also buy a kit. LOL.

AmyTeets
07-18-2006, 06:16 AM
I normally do..I like to get some use out of them..but because of posts like these I came up with the 2PackScraps..which is a mini series of kits for only 2.00 :D That way there's no guilt of not using them or not using them enough :D

lynzriches
07-18-2006, 06:18 AM
I do try to use everything, but like others (thank goodness I am not the only one!) I do have quite a bit that I have yet to use. But I *will* use them, I promise! :D

CraftTeaLady
07-18-2006, 06:19 AM
Um, nope. I guess we are all good news for designers, aren't we? We buy buy buy!

if I don't use them, in time - I round-file them... I chuck 'em. I would do that w/ my paper stuff, so why not my digi too?

dinamom
07-18-2006, 07:40 AM
I try really hard to use kits when I get them or soon thereafter. I don't always succeed though. Lately I've been buying with more specific things in mind and those I know I'll use.

SteinwaysMom/DebraTope
07-18-2006, 07:47 AM
I use everything I buy. It's a compulsion. :( I can't stand to own anything that I don't use. :? There are probably a couple elements I haven't used yet like Gina Miller's glitter borders.

Really I could survive of my CT stuff and existing kits but thanks to this site, I am continually tempted by a stream of wonderful new goodies.

mlpieters
07-18-2006, 09:01 AM
when i first started digi scrapping i bought allot and downloaded allot of freebies.

now that my taste has been more defined i'm picky about what i buy or download. ( i think this is just a process that everyone goes thru - finding what 'works' for you)

also, in my final days of being a paper scrapper i made myself a promise not to buy anything that i didn't have an exact plan for - no more buying just cuz it was pretty or fun. nope - it had to have a destination.

i'm getting back to that w/ digi, too. i was just looking thru some digi sites last night - loved what i saw but i don't have any specific plans. so...maybe in the future.

Deena
07-18-2006, 09:07 AM
I dont use everything right away :( I try not to buy, till i know exactly what i want to use it for, but sometimes i cant help myself. The worst is freebies for me, i mean they are free, how can i not download them and save them for later?? LOL Ive quit downloading alot of freebies, if i dont know right them what im gonna use it for, i dont download it!

CathyRose
07-18-2006, 09:11 AM
I used to keep a "kits to use" folder until it got so big it was embarassing. I can't seem to stop buying them, they are so pretty! I don't even have enough photos for them. Sometimes I do RAK pages to help people catch up with their photos and so I can use some of those beautiful kits.

Carrie Stephens
07-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Heck no! LOL i think i have 40 kits that i love and have never used on my hard drive! one of these days.......... LOL

lindse
07-18-2006, 10:10 AM
No, sometimes I just buy a kit b/c I think it is beautiful, but I am sure I will get it used, b/c Ive done so far :)

Meanwhile I have just organized my hd (again) and deleted some of my earliest buys - I am sure I will never use them, cause they are not my style at all :)

scribler
07-18-2006, 11:24 AM
I've used a couple of kits right away, because I purchased them for specific online scrapping events. Otherwise, I have to say I don't. But since I am just getting started maybe I should make that my goal. (Fraid it's probably an unreachable goal.)

gypsystar
07-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Not even close! I've got over 100 unused kits on my HD. I can't stop hoarding them. I'm trying to make myself go through and use them but I can't seem to stop buying, so for every one I use I seem to buy 3 more!

Theresa Hernandez
07-18-2006, 12:28 PM
No...not even close. Some are still sitting in Zip files on my desktop waiting to be unzipped, filed, tagged and catalogued for use. But I never buy a kit that I don't intend to use. And sometimes when I get in a mood, I sort my stuff by last added so I can find the perfect pics to go with my latest acquistions. But sadly, I still miss some. It's really an addiction. I'm a hoarder. I need help LOL!

ScrappyBuckeye
07-18-2006, 03:20 PM
HA! I wish I had the time to use them all! I am an impulse buyer! I see something cool and I think... Oh it's only $6 and click buy it! I have an Ex-HD to put all my kits on, then hubby doesn't see all the files! OH I 'm a bad girl!

LauraKaye
07-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Use them all?! Yikes!! I have a huge folder titled 'Unused Kits' as well. It is threatening to take over my computer. I can't seem to stop buying more goodies! They just keep calling my name...

rmcabana
07-18-2006, 05:16 PM
I think it will take me a few years of taking photos to catch up with all the kits I have! :)

Correen
07-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Because of my budget, I do tend to buy only kits I know I'll use, even if it's not always in the near future ;). Although, I have, on occasion, bought kits just because...due to a sale or just that something really caught my eye.

Lindsay
07-18-2006, 07:29 PM
I was a notorious hoarder in my paper days, and still relentless now. I buy what I like, especially the girly kits, which I accumulate since I have two boys! It's relentless, I say I'll stop buying, but then someone comes out with something new!