PDA

View Full Version : FlyLady & Leanne

Rhoda Jayne
07-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Did anyone see the email about the Mega Menu Mailer? It's along the lines of OAMC (once a month cooking) but Leanne's recipes are supposed to be like meals from a dinner kit franchise where you go assemble your meals. I've never heard of a place like that I have tried the OAMC a few times. It's a nice concept to cook one day & eat for a month.
I never seem to have the freezer space to do it because my dh takes over our freezer with venison & fish more recently.
I've ordered the menu-mailers before & have the Saving Dinner book so I took the plunge & ordered the Mega Menu Mailer. It's 22 recipes to make dinner 'kits'.
According to their test kitchens they were able to assemble 22 kits in 2 hours. I was never able to do that with OAMC so I'm going to look over the recipes tonight & see how they can do it in 2 hours.
Before I can make the recipes I have to buy a new freezer & it's going to be all MINE :x :x :wink:

toodlesyall
07-18-2006, 05:42 AM
I LOVE Flylady! A little intense, but, man, I can do anything in 15 minutes!

:lol:

LissaD
07-18-2006, 07:45 AM
What do you think of her recipes? I looked a while back and really didn't "connect" with anything that I thought our family might actually eat. LOL. I can't remember why because it has been a while. I need to go check again. I am actually expecting twins in Oct (at the latest) and so I am looking into our local Super Suppers. They provide all the ingredients and freezer containers, they do all the prep and clean up all you do is go to their kitchen and make up the meals. A friend of mine absolutely loves it. I figure if I can go in a few times before the babies come I will have a few months without having to cook. I like that idea a lot!!!!

Do you think that doing kits or OAMC is cheaper? or just more convenient. Every time I think about buying all those ingredients I wonder......and then I kind of freak out about having the same thing to eat over and over. :)

Karen Bowers
07-18-2006, 07:59 AM
i need to think about getting back to freezer cooking. it would certainly help with my scrappers guilt. getting dinner on the table can be a challenge when my brain is whirling with scrapping ideas, and having food ready to grab does make me feel like i'm taking care of my family.

have not done OAMC. i did something called freezer gourmet or something like that. we liked many of the recipes.

one tip i heard for storing lots of food in the freezer was to use freezer bags, they hardly take up any room at all.

kygirl
07-18-2006, 08:03 AM
My sisters and I do OAMC sessions together. We shop one day and cook the next. It makes the whole process quicker (and cheaper because we buy in bulk). It's almost party-like with lots of giggling and story telling.

TaniaJPS
07-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Did anyone see the email about the Mega Menu Mailer? It's along the lines of OAMC (once a month cooking) but Leanne's recipes are supposed to be like meals from a dinner kit franchise where you go assemble your meals. I've never heard of a place like that I have tried the OAMC a few times. It's a nice concept to cook one day & eat for a month.
I never seem to have the freezer space to do it because my dh takes over our freezer with venison & fish more recently.
I've ordered the menu-mailers before & have the Saving Dinner book so I took the plunge & ordered the Mega Menu Mailer. It's 22 recipes to make dinner 'kits'.
According to their test kitchens they were able to assemble 22 kits in 2 hours. I was never able to do that with OAMC so I'm going to look over the recipes tonight & see how they can do it in 2 hours.
Before I can make the recipes I have to buy a new freezer & it's going to be all MINE :x :x :wink:

I used to subscribe to the menu mailer. I even have a binder full of Leanne's recipes. Regular and Frugal Menu Mailer was what I had, I believe.

I was hardcore into FlyLady for about 3 years. I have tapered off almost completely. I have a lot of routines in place now. I even went to the first Flylady Fest. I have the original duster and timer and a first edition signed copy of her book (before it went to a major publishing company). But this new Leanne thing sounds promising. I'll need to check that out! :) Tha's new to me! :)

m1218p
07-18-2006, 01:04 PM
I just re-subscribed to the weekly menu mailer--the low carb one this time. I've been cooking out of it all week and my husband is raving about how good the food is. I jumped on LeAnne's once-a-month menu mailer. I'm dealing with a bad back right now so haven't been able to do anything with it, but the idea of having 22 dinners frozen and ready to go in the freezer is awesome! I can't wait to try it--she says it should take about 2 hours and come in around $100 considering what we already have in our pantries. That's a lot cheaper than the assemble-it-yourself clubs. Marci

Shelly
07-18-2006, 01:13 PM
I will have to check this out. I just jumped back on the Flylady wagon. I did the menu mailer a few years ago and it was quite helpful. I want to get the Body Clutter book, does anyone have it??

Rhoda Jayne
07-18-2006, 01:14 PM
One of the interesting things was that they took the menumailer to a highend grocery store & bought every single thing on the shopping list like all you had was salt & pepper in your pantry. They bought organic veggies & didn't do coupons or anything. The total cost for 20 meals was $349.98. The broke it down to 20 meals with a meal cost of $17.50 for 4. If you included the two bonus recipes it was $15.91 a meal.
One of their assistants was able to follow the grocery list for $191.79 by using ingredients she already had. Her cost was $8.72 per meal for all 22 meals for 4 people.
I think I would fall under the second category as far as the shopping goes because I already have lots of the spices that LeAnn uses for the cookbook & the mailers.
When I first looked at the pages while they were printing I thought the recipe was printed twice on each page. What she did was give the recipe & directions on how to assemble the kit on one side & directions on the other side as how to thaw & cook.
They used freezer bags to assemble the dinners. In fact they double bag the meals so that should keep ingredients fresher.
The assembly of kits could be divided between kids or spouse. Each person can be responsible for assembling a kit. I think that would be a neat way to involve your family too.
I'm going to do this when I get my new freezer. My boss at school is involved in the Angelfood ministry & I've done that a few times. I just need more freezer space so I can stock up on those good bargains too.
I feel that if I combine these two ways of shopping & cooking, it will keep me from making too many trips to Wal Mart. I would definitely save money that way 8) 8)

Darcy Baldwin
07-18-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't do OAMC, but I do bulk cooking for the freezer. So, instead of doing 30 days worth of meals, I'll do 2 or 3x a meal and store the extra away. I do this consistently, and after awhile, I have a freezer full of meals or almost meals that are easy to pull out. I keep track of them on a sheet on the freezer, so I can "shop" from the freezer some months instead of buying more food.

So..tonight we're having chicken tacos. Instead of making up enough for tonight and tomorrw's lunch, I'll do it x2 and have another meal ready and waiting down the road.

I have a friend who loves SuperSuppers, but I can't justify the price on our budget.

I still need to get Leanne's book..I've been looking at it forever and waiting for it to show up at halfprice books.

Rhoda Jayne
07-18-2006, 01:51 PM
I don't do OAMC, but I do bulk cooking for the freezer. So, instead of doing 30 days worth of meals, I'll do 2 or 3x a meal and store the extra away. I do this consistently, and after awhile, I have a freezer full of meals or almost meals that are easy to pull out. I keep track of them on a sheet on the freezer, so I can "shop" from the freezer some months instead of buying more food.

So..tonight we're having chicken tacos. Instead of making up enough for tonight and tomorrw's lunch, I'll do it x2 and have another meal ready and waiting down the road.

I have a friend who loves SuperSuppers, but I can't justify the price on our budget.

I still need to get Leanne's book..I've been looking at it forever and waiting for it to show up at halfprice books.

Darcy,
I googled them & found one SS site about 90 miles from me. I'd like to go see one.

jannylynn
07-18-2006, 01:57 PM
In addition to scrapbooking this is something I love to talk about. I need to go check out LeAnne's new thing. Sounds interesting.

I'm in an OAMC Club. It's a group of 4-6 women and monthly we exchange meals. I make two different meals multiplied by the number of people in the group. Last month we had 7 ladies in the group, so I got 28 meals!!! At this point I won't do dinner any other way.

Thanks for the suggestion about LeAnne's plan. I love her cookbook Saving Dinner. I'm always looking for something new to make for the group and this might be another way to go!

Rhoda Jayne
07-18-2006, 03:01 PM
In addition to scrapbooking this is something I love to talk about. I need to go check out LeAnne's new thing. Sounds interesting.

I'm in an OAMC Club. It's a group of 4-6 women and monthly we exchange meals. I make two different meals multiplied by the number of people in the group. Last month we had 7 ladies in the group, so I got 28 meals!!! At this point I won't do dinner any other way.

Thanks for the suggestion about LeAnne's plan. I love her cookbook Saving Dinner. I'm always looking for something new to make for the group and this might be another way to go!

An OAMC club sounds so wonderful & a neat way to make friends.

Rhoda Jayne
07-18-2006, 08:34 PM
/quote]

I used to subscribe to the menu mailer. I even have a binder full of Leanne's recipes. Regular and Frugal Menu Mailer was what I had, I believe.

I was hardcore into FlyLady for about 3 years. I have tapered off almost completely. I have a lot of routines in place now. I even went to the first Flylady Fest. I have the original duster and timer and a first edition signed copy of her book (before it went to a major publishing company). But this new Leanne thing sounds promising. I'll need to check that out! :) Tha's new to me! :)[/quote]

Tania,
I just ordered the FlyLady wallet tonight. I've never bought from the site but I've bought Sink Reflections & Saving Dinner at the bookstore. I bought a new purse for vacation next week & ordered the wallet.
My wishlist is the big duster, OIB & the vest.

TaniaJPS
07-18-2006, 08:40 PM
OH RHODA! Get the duster. I've had it for years. Let's see - I've had it for at least four years now and it's still in perfect shape. It's totally worth every penny. It is fabulous. She has a wallet? :) Time to go check out her store though. But if I remember correctly I'll need to F.A.C.E. my finances!

m1218p
07-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Hey, Tania........I was just about to ask everyone's opinion on the duster. Thanks for the input. When you live in the desert, dust is a real problem. I've been thinking about that duster for about a week, looked at it a coupla times, but haven't bought yet. You pulled me a little closer.... Marci

Carrie Stephens
07-18-2006, 08:50 PM
I just subbed to the menu mailer 3 weeks ago, i havent had time to sit down and organize it all but, i do plan on making time this week. It looks fantastic and maybe this will help a bit!

The duster..........ooooh la la! it makes dusting a breeze. seriously, totally worth it! i asked for it for christmas 4 years ago, my DH thought i was crazy but, i really wanted it. IMO, totally worth it!

Rhoda Jayne
07-18-2006, 09:04 PM
OH RHODA! Get the duster. I've had it for years. Let's see - I've had it for at least four years now and it's still in perfect shape. It's totally worth every penny. It is fabulous. She has a wallet? :) Time to go check out her store though. But if I remember correctly I'll need to F.A.C.E. my finances!

I need the long one. DH told me that there is dust on top of the fridge & he was laughing about it because he knows that I can't see it :P

toodlesyall
07-19-2006, 06:55 AM
I echo the sentiments on the duster. TOTALLY awesome! Go bless your outside porch!

:D

Keely~B
07-19-2006, 07:14 AM
I've never done the menu mailer but I'm really happy to hear some duster reviews LOL :D I've been looking at those things for years!