PDA

View Full Version : my 1st Jen Caputo sketch

Shelly
07-18-2006, 06:37 AM
I just posted my 1st page using a Jen Caupto sketch. I had this picture I wanted to scrap last night and I was totally stumped so I decided to check out her sketches and I ended up downloading almost all of them!

It was so nice to just be able to sit and plug my papers in! I will definitely be doing that again!!

THANKS JEN!!

Oh, here's the page!

Still Crazy (http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4676&cat=500&ppuser=14)

scrappinsweetie
07-18-2006, 07:13 AM
that looks very nice!!!! Great job on it.

now i have a question, everyone is talking about her sketches. WHERE can i find them, i MUST use them. PLEASE point me in the right direction!

laurieg
07-18-2006, 07:14 AM
Awesome Shelly- love it!

Jen Caputo's blog is here :)
http://jencaputo.typepad.com/jen_caputo/

Shelly
07-18-2006, 07:16 AM
Just go here

Jen's Blog (http://jencaputo.typepad.com/jen_caputo/)

there is a link on the right that says sketches, just go in there and you can download the files.

They are fun and GREAT when you are having a block like I was last night!

scrappinsweetie
07-18-2006, 07:20 AM
THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!! they totally rock!!!

ga.scrapper
07-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Shelly that turned out great! Thanks for sharing

mamakimberly
07-18-2006, 09:11 AM
that is wonderful! I love jen's curves!

jencaputo
07-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Oh wow it came out so awesome!!! Left you some love (at TDC I think cause i saw it first over there!) hehe

Rhoda Jayne
07-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Oh wow it came out so awesome!!! Left you some love (at TDC I think cause i saw it first over there!) hehe

Jen
When I try to download the sketch links from http://www.ssreflections.com/jen_apr06.html my computer doesn't really save them. The QuickTime screen comes up & I can't save them as an image. Does anyone know why that happens? I can save sketches from your blog just fine.
Thanks, Rhoda

just terra
07-18-2006, 01:51 PM
need a headscratcher smiley for that one rhoda jayne - i have no idea - hopefully someone else an expain!

but i just had to pipe in here with HOW VERY AWESOME these are!!!

jen - have i told you how much you rock these sketches lately?

heck you just ROCK period!

thanks for sharing these with us!

terra

jencaputo
07-18-2006, 01:59 PM
no -you rock Terra!!!

rhoda jayne - those first ones I did for SSR are not zipped so you have to right-click and choose "Save Target As" and then save it and open it in PSE. I fixed that problem after that issue.

hope that helps!

Rhoda Jayne
07-18-2006, 02:09 PM
no -you rock Terra!!!

rhoda jayne - those first ones I did for SSR are not zipped so you have to right-click and choose "Save Target As" and then save it and open it in PSE. I fixed that problem after that issue.

hope that helps!

When I would click on one it would open in Quick Time. I went to PhotoImpact & chose it as the prefered way to view tif files & I think that fixed it. I
I'm going to try opening one of the sketches in PSE on my son's comuter. I don't have it on mine but he does. When I open them in PSP or PI I don't have the layers. I thought it would show up in layers in PSP. I did learn a neat way to copy sketch ideas in Photo Impact. If I use shapes I can duplicate a lot of sketch ideas. :D :D

jencaputo
07-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Hi, yeah I'm working on figuring that out.. i think i may spring and buy PSP too because i really want to find a way to get them to open as layers but still keep them as tiff files (over PSD).

In the mean time, try this:

Copied from BubblyKori at scrapartist who actually uses them in PSP:
You use your magic want to select the template (or area of the template) you want to be your paper, then using your flood fill tool (the Paint Bucket) fill it with your paper. You do need to open the paper previously, then click on your color palette and click on the Pattern tab, select your paper for the chosen pattern. You can then close the paper, the color palette will remember it. So if you have a curve side border template, you would click it with the magic wand and then flood fill with the paint bucket and it will look just like the paper. Another method is you can use is to open your paper, open and then copy the template and paste as a new layer onto the paper. Select the template with the magic wand, then hit Selections, Invert, make the paper the active layer and hit delete. Then you need to delete the template layer or if you are moving the newly created piece onto the main layout, copy only the paper layer. Which method you use will depend on your comfort level and on the size or complexity of the template you are using. If this isn't clear, just say so and I can get a link or two for a more step-by-step approach.
----

One problem you may come across are the sketches that I wrote guides on (like journaling here or Title). I didn't realize they were a problem before this weekend so I will no longer include them in the tiff files.
But if you want to use the old ones and if there's something with writing it will be hard to use the magic wand tool to select that piece. So, grab your pen tool and color over the text with the same color as the background paper (so whatever shade of grey I've used). Then once everything on that layer is the same color you should be able to use the magic wand to select the piece of the template you want.

Rhoda Jayne
07-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi, yeah I'm working on figuring that out.. i think i may spring and buy PSP too because i really want to find a way to get them to open as layers but still keep them as tiff files (over PSD).

In the mean time, try this:

Copied from BubblyKori at scrapartist who actually uses them in PSP:
You use your magic want to select the template (or area of the template) you want to be your paper, then using your flood fill tool (the Paint Bucket) fill it with your paper. You do need to open the paper previously, then click on your color palette and click on the Pattern tab, select your paper for the chosen pattern. You can then close the paper, the color palette will remember it. So if you have a curve side border template, you would click it with the magic wand and then flood fill with the paint bucket and it will look just like the paper. Another method is you can use is to open your paper, open and then copy the template and paste as a new layer onto the paper. Select the template with the magic wand, then hit Selections, Invert, make the paper the active layer and hit delete. Then you need to delete the template layer or if you are moving the newly created piece onto the main layout, copy only the paper layer. Which method you use will depend on your comfort level and on the size or complexity of the template you are using. If this isn't clear, just say so and I can get a link or two for a more step-by-step approach.
----

One problem you may come across are the sketches that I wrote guides on (like journaling here or Title). I didn't realize they were a problem before this weekend so I will no longer include them in the tiff files.
But if you want to use the old ones and if there's something with writing it will be hard to use the magic wand tool to select that piece. So, grab your pen tool and color over the text with the same color as the background paper (so whatever shade of grey I've used). Then once everything on that layer is the same color you should be able to use the magic wand to select the piece of the template you want.

Thanks for the writing tip! I could open templates in PI & fill the individual parts, but the ones with writing were really stumping me!
I'll have to find the pen tool & play some more!
thanks, Rhoda J

Mnchknbrat1982
07-18-2006, 04:58 PM
anyone that has figured this out for psp please email me. I'm still having trouble with them in psp and I have tried the recommendations.........but maybe I am not doing something right.

Marcie Reckinger
07-18-2006, 05:03 PM
What a great layout! Love that boarder!

jencaputo
07-18-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm downloading PSP right now, I'll see what I can figure out for you.

Mnchknbrat1982
07-18-2006, 05:22 PM
thank you Jen!

Lindsay
07-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Absolutely love them, one more excuse for not having an original thought in my head LOL!

jencaputo
07-18-2006, 06:21 PM
hehhe.

working on a PSP tutorial right now, will have it up on my blog tonight. Unfortunately the method I thought would work for saving the sketches so they would open layered in PSP did not work as PSP won't let me save layered tiffs... why is that program so mean to me? heheh

anyway, I think this way will be much easier for those of you using PSP so I will have it up on my blog in less than an hour!

jencaputo
07-18-2006, 06:59 PM
OK, PSP tutorial is up, DIP is extremely similar (and I can't download it easily) so use it for that as well.

http://jencaputo.typepad.com/jen_caputo/2006/07/tutorial_using_.html