PDA

View Full Version : I *FOOLISHLY* thought that Digi-scrapping

Darcy Baldwin
07-18-2006, 07:59 AM
was going to be less expensive than paper scrapping. WHATEVER was I thinking?

Sure, Hon, I can get kits for about $4-7 that I would use over and over again, more than I'd be able to do with paper stuff. I can get quite a few for free! I won't have to buy adhesives anymore, I won't be going to the store anymore. I don't have to print of pics anymore.

fast forward...

Hon..I want to joing DST and get some free kits (yes, I know, but it's really a GOOD investment)

Hon..I really want a new camera. Yes, I know ours is less than two years old, but look at these AMAZING photos on these pages..I want my pages to look like that.

Hon...why is my PC slowing down so much? Oh...I downloaded too much stuff? Okay..how can we solve that? I know..BUY A BIGGER HARD DRIVE. NO! I cannot empty out used kits. No, I don't want to load onto discs...

Hon....can I use your laptop? No? Then can I have my own?

Sassy
07-18-2006, 08:01 AM
lol I'm right there with you!!
That gave me a good giggle!

Moni
07-18-2006, 08:03 AM
LOL. I think one of the only reasons that my hubby supports my "habbit" is because at least now there is much less of a mess around the house with paper supplies! Now he only complains about the occasional CD, or the fact that my hard drive is constantly full. Next thing on my list: External Hard Drive, please!! :)

Crecia
07-18-2006, 08:03 AM
LOL, ditto that, AND I thought it would save me time and I'd get more scrapping done! But I find I'm shopping more (and with new stores popping up everyday how can you not) or reading boards, cruising galleries....

As for space, I talked DH into an external hard drive. It was easy to do, I left out the scrapbooking and just told him it was to keep pictures safe :lol: I've put almost all my scrapbooking stuff on it too and my system seems to be running faster now!

Lucrecia

jenn7
07-18-2006, 08:06 AM
ROFLOL Don't say I didn't warn ya! :wink:

scrappinsweetie
07-18-2006, 08:06 AM
ROTFLMBO!!!! that sooo sounds like around here! but i am seriously trying to be better at spending. I love my hobbby but i needed a reality check to make me realize that this is a HOBBY for me. there are other things in life that i want and that i want to do, can you beleive that??? :shock:

Darcy Baldwin
07-18-2006, 08:08 AM
Hobby?! Really...I think it's becoming a way of life for me LOL

Liss07
07-18-2006, 08:09 AM
Mwhaha... I also thought I would only very rarely buy kits... WHOOPS! Now I am addicted and because we are being careful with money at the moment it is killing me lol.

RatherBscrappin
07-18-2006, 08:09 AM
==>Rewind==>Play==>Record==>

K, Darcy are you in MY house or yours?? :mrgreen:

scrappinsweetie
07-18-2006, 08:11 AM
well you see, i have this VERY expensive hobby/job of being a photographer so i spend plenty there on backgrounds, expensive lenses, computer gear, actions, you get the point. So yes, digi scrappin is my way of life, but also my hobby...LOL I was shocked to see how much i had spent on kits in one month so i made vow to cut down on my spending and start doing little things with my kiddos like ice cream on a hot day, going to the zoo, things like that!

JeanellePaige
07-18-2006, 08:14 AM
:lol: I wish I could talk my hubby into a new camera, and an external hardrive, and a laptop... any tips and getting the hubby to fold? :lol:

abbysmommy
07-18-2006, 08:23 AM
LOL! You're so right. I never quite thought of it that way. :)

laurieg
07-18-2006, 08:25 AM
ROFLOL Darcy- aren't you glad we can all relate! :D

TaniaJPS
07-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Hobby?! Really...I think it's becoming a way of life for me LOL

Hear hear. Way of life, baby, yeah!

Darcy Baldwin
07-18-2006, 08:27 AM
:lol: I wish I could talk my hubby into a new camera, and an external hardrive, and a laptop... any tips and getting the hubby to fold? :lol:

LOL! I didn't say I was getting that stuff.... LOL Just requesting it! HA!

Our budget is just non-existent right now, but a girl can dream! We are having to do some computer upgrades, so Dh is taking my new found obsession to heart when he does them, so I might get a bigger hard drive in the trickle down process (he upgrades his PC, then I get his leftovers, the boys get my leftovers...but this time I might get the bigger harddrive while he gets the new motherboard and processor).

Teresa Victor
07-18-2006, 08:37 AM
LOL- well, I was never a true paper scrapper, but I quickly understood how expensive this hobby can be....but it's SOOO worth it. :) And luckily, my fiancee will never complain about anything I want to add to my digi-scrapping must-haves 'cuz he's a computer whiz himself and loves to have the latest and greatest. LOL

aggietha
07-18-2006, 08:39 AM
True DAT! LOL. DH is very understanding for the need of bigger RAM, HD space, etc. But he still doesnt know I buy kits, he knows I do it for design team purposes and freebies, LOL.

Deena
07-18-2006, 08:47 AM
That sounds like me, but DH doesnt have a clue about computers, so its usually followed up with why LOL I did get a laptop and EHD BUT only because i convinced him that i needed these items when designing and they would pay for themselves LOL....Which shockingly is becoming a true statement! :) Ive actually made enough selling my designs this month to cover the month payment :) WOOOHOOO

And anything that is leftover is to go towards buying a Digital SLR :)

mlpieters
07-18-2006, 08:51 AM
bwahahahaa...

yeah, cheaper. sure. :lol:

Rona
07-18-2006, 09:10 AM
LOL Darcy! So true.....everything you said!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jaylensmom
07-18-2006, 10:07 AM
So true! I'm new to this so I can totally relate!

~Julie~
07-18-2006, 10:09 AM
:lol: that made me laugh

lovesher2boys (Julie)
07-18-2006, 10:14 AM
OMG! That is EXACTLY the conversations we've had too!! :lol:
Except I never paper scrapped, so DH is just happy to see me doing something anything with our pictures!

grandmalynnie
07-18-2006, 10:23 AM
OK, in addition to all my kits, elements, etc that I have purchased, here's my list of other purchases in the 18 months I've been digi-scrapping: laptop, new camera, Wacom tablet, 2 external hard drives, DVD burner, more RAM for laptop, camera lenses, photo printer, card reader, flash drive, CDs, DVDs, books, magazines, memberships, etc, etc, etc! Cheap this hobby isn't, but its a ton of fun!!!

caridura
07-18-2006, 10:48 AM
:lol: This is all so true. In the beginning, it was very inexpensive for me. I only scrapped with free kits and I had a point and shoot. Then, once I gave in and bought a few kits, it was all downhill from there.

I now have a dRebel XT, an EHD, a laptop and more kits then I care to count. :oops:

designs by krista
07-18-2006, 11:00 AM
LOL ~ So true!

scribler
07-18-2006, 11:13 AM
LOL

What's worse is that I just explained to my hubby yesterday why I needed a new digital camera. Of course, mine is three years old. ;o)

Luckily, my dh is always willing to buy a bigger hard drive, or two or three.

bretta
07-18-2006, 11:17 AM
I think I'm a total idiot.

My dh was seriously researching Canon Rebel's and Nikon d70s to buy me for my 40th birthday and I started balking at the $$ and thinking of all the things that needed doing around the house...looks like I talked him out of it....

I'm sooooo _________ [fill in the blank with appropriate word here...I can think of SEVERAL]

Yeah and on topic, I'm really glad he doesn't ever look at the paypal account...

And I talked him into purchasing Creative Suite 2 and Micromedia Web bundle so my SON could make a website for our business!!!! Hmmm...I've made lots of layouts and the website's not done yet....

EmilyFarnworth
07-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Scribler, THREE yeard old? That's ancient! LOL!
I too, thought is was going to be was cheaper than paper scrapping, maybe after I got more RAM, bigger hard drive, and a better digital camera. I still have to get the tablet :)
Plus we still need to buy albums, page protectors, etc.
But on the other side of it, I was in my LSS yesterday and I paid $1 per sheet of double sided printed paper!

Lifelace
07-18-2006, 11:45 AM
MAHAHAHA!! Yes, I totally agree. :) Cheap hobby? I think not!

Scrappylove
07-18-2006, 11:48 AM
was going to be less expensive than paper scrapping. WHATEVER was I thinking?

Sure, Hon, I can get kits for about $4-7 that I would use over and over again, more than I'd be able to do with paper stuff. I can get quite a few for free! I won't have to buy adhesives anymore, I won't be going to the store anymore. I don't have to print of pics anymore.

fast forward...

Hon..I want to joing DST and get some free kits (yes, I know, but it's really a GOOD investment)

Hon..I really want a new camera. Yes, I know ours is less than two years old, but look at these AMAZING photos on these pages..I want my pages to look like that.

Hon...why is my PC slowing down so much? Oh...I downloaded too much stuff? Okay..how can we solve that? I know..BUY A BIGGER HARD DRIVE. NO! I cannot empty out used kits. No, I don't want to load onto discs...

Hon....can I use your laptop? No? Then can I have my own?

I thought I was alone :lol:

Vanessa
07-18-2006, 11:57 AM
LOL!! Sooooo true!!
My hubby a computer geek also, when we got an EHD couple months back I said who would ever thought that I would be asking for one LOL!!!

m1218p
07-18-2006, 12:20 PM
When we were all over at the veggie place, Thena posted this totally hilarious thread on this very subject. I though my husband would implode with laughter, just reading it. Where is she when we need her for a good rueful laugh? Marci

SteinwaysMom/DebraTope
07-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Same story but no DH to bug. I am single and have to buy it all myself! I keep wishing I was a housewife so I could scrap all day.

Jessi
07-18-2006, 03:03 PM
I could have written that myself :wink:

scribler
07-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Scribler, THREE years old? That's ancient! LOL!

I agree. Alas, I look at my laptop savings and think how far a new camera would move me from my laptop and I change my mind about getting one. hehehehe (Of course our anniversary is next month and my birthday is in October...)

vshaw
07-18-2006, 04:55 PM
LOL! Been there done that. I resort to if you get the wireless mic system for your video getup then can I have a new lens for my camera? or I'll get the new PSE4. :lol:

Marcie Reckinger
07-18-2006, 05:46 PM
LOL Darcy! what a hoot-I've had many of these discussions with my dh too! He's just glad there's not so much clutter anymore!