PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a 2 GB thumb drive for $79!!

Trina
07-18-2006, 08:50 AM
I don't think I've seen "thumb" drives mentioned on here, but I took my laptop into the computer shop last week to get some more memory added to it, and I was telling him what I was doing with it. We got to talking about EHDs (because I had just purchased one), and he asked me why I hadn't gone with a "thumb" drive. I looked at him like he was crazy and then said they are called "thumb" drives because they are literally about the size of a thumb (think iPod here). They had four different sizes, and the largest was 2 GB for $79. It does basically what the EHD does, but it's more portable, doesn't require a power supply, and is considerably cheaper (at least in my little part of the world). He told me that some people even use it as their keychain (the one I saw did have a keychain ring on it). It's a little iPod looking thing that has a USB connector on it, and all you do is plug that into your computer and instant access to that drive!!

Anyway, I know a lot of people are in the market for an EHD, and I thought I'd mention this option. While I don't think I'd use the thumb drive as my primary backup source (just my personal preference), I'm definitely going to use it to hold the kits to keep with my laptop to take on trips, etc. The EHD will be safely tucked away at home with everything on it, also.

HTH somebody :)

~Julie~
07-18-2006, 09:02 AM
that sounds awesome! Do they sell them at stores like best buy etc?

jaylensmom
07-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the info. I have an EHD but the Thumb drive sounds better. I'm going the check into it!

Stephanie
07-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Is that like a USB drive? I have one that holds 1G. I love it. I use it to transport stuff from work to home. I also used it when moving files from old laptop to new. It's very handy.

Oh, and here is the one I have and got from buy.com

http://www.buy.com/prod/Kingston_1GB_USB_2_0_DataTraveler_Write_up_to_3MB_ sec/q/loc/101/201935195.html

Dani~B
07-18-2006, 09:04 AM
I love my 1g thumbdrive, it is perfect for a quick backup of my current projects and dh uses it to take pics to work :) $79 is a great deal too!!

corina
07-18-2006, 09:05 AM
These are so cool! After I bought my EHD, I needed something little to travel with and this little guy is perfect! So cute and so useful!

Theresa Hernandez
07-18-2006, 09:06 AM
I saw an 8GB USB drive at Costco the other day for $108!!! I'm so going to get one. Technology is great...when it works, of course. Otherwise it's the devil.

Trina
07-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Do they sell them at stores like best buy etc?

I'm sure Best Buy has them. I checked at WalMart the other day while I was waiting for mine to arrive at the local computer store (comparison shopping), and they did have them. The 2GB was $89 at WalMart, but our little small-town computer store had them priced at $79 for 2GB! Impressive that our little computer store BEAT the WM price :)

Maisie
07-18-2006, 10:00 AM
I am so going to remember this, for when the husband buys me my laptop!
which better be soon!!!LOL

just terra
07-18-2006, 01:55 PM
i love thumbdrives.
i have two half gig ones for work docs and the occasional photo transfers.

i went with a midsize one instead of the EHD.

I got a 60 gig "thumbdrive" that is roughly the size of oh, i don't know, Godzilla's thumb maybe? seriously - it is about the size of a deck of cards and it is 60 gig - i put EVERYTHING on there and toss it in with my laptop for when i teach my digi scrap classes.

but yes - they are great.

my 60 gig one cost me $90 at office depot.

just another thought - if you don't NEED it to be mini sized, but want a LOT more storage - for $20 more you can like - ginormously quadruple your storage