PDA

View Full Version : NSBR: For the teachers/admins out there....

brittanylyn
07-18-2006, 04:04 PM
I've been requested to do a pre-interview interview for a teaching position via the internet, a timed assessment. Anyone seen something like this before?

MissKim
07-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Nope. Our district used to do phone interviews that were a scripted interview. I wouldn't be surprised if it was internet based now. It was questions that could be tricky, i.e. "Have you ever ignored a behavior?" Well, of course you have. Sometimes the child is behaving badly for attention and the only way to reduce the behavior is to ignore it. But saying that goes against all your instincts. Not sure if that's what you're doing, but that's what I did.

brittanylyn
07-18-2006, 04:22 PM
The thing that is really throwing me is the fact that the website says "assessment" and that it is timed. It will be just my luck if it asks questions about different types of reading assessments, or....something really random and bizarre.

pagebypaige
07-18-2006, 04:32 PM
That's kind of odd!! I've never heard of anything like that before. We have been known to interview teachers from out of state over the phone before but nothing on the internet. I was wondering how your job search was going...best of luck!!!

drgnfly
07-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Do you have link so we can see what you are talking about? I have been on the interview committee several times at my school. We have done phone interviews and had canidates teach a lesson (in person), but never an "assessment". I wonder if it is a content area assessment or just questions to get an idea of your philosophy.

Now you have me curious. BTW- what type of position are you seeking?

GOOD LUCK!! :)

mandyficker
07-18-2006, 05:02 PM
I know at my school teachers are give a timed assignment to do in their content area. For example, write a lesson plan on how you would teach this.

brittanylyn
07-18-2006, 05:03 PM
Here's the link:
https://gx.gallup.com/teacherinsight1.gx

I'm interviewing for a 5th grade position.

I think I'm going to see if I can work some magic in Google land with this...

pagebypaige
07-18-2006, 05:04 PM
can you give me the code so i can check it out?

brittanylyn
07-18-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm not too sure about the code...the principal seemed very cautious. I'd just hate to blur lines! Sorry!

BUT....I did find a code for another school district (and some more info) that was on Google...

http://www.ector-county.k12.tx.us/departments/HumanRes/Interview.html

pagebypaige
07-18-2006, 05:08 PM
that's fine I just wanted to check it out....curiosity!!!

Hollie
07-18-2006, 05:15 PM
never heard of this until now, but I haven't interviewed for about 7 or 8 years. Don't they already have the Praxis tests???? I don't know what they ask on the "test" here but I guess it's just one more hoop. Hope all goes well for you. Let us know what happens!!!

brittanylyn
07-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Actually, the Praxis test was just phased out this year, replaced by ORELA (or something like that...and this may only be in Oregon).

I already did all that....thank goodness?!

Hollie
07-18-2006, 05:39 PM
I guess I am getting old (LOL!!). I remember when the Praxis tests were new. Oh they are always getting something new--not sure about better, but new for sure (or at least re-packaged-LOL). I remember reading local news articles about teachers who couldn't pass the basic English and Math sections (esp the Math) and couldn't get their licenses b/c of it. I was a Math person, so I am a little bias, but the level on the Math section was about 7th grade. I kinda thought that was reasonable to have them pass that, but maybe that's just me. I guess I'll go check out the new test and see what I can find. I've haven't been teaching since I had kids, so I'm out of the loop--LOL!

Penny Springmann
07-18-2006, 05:43 PM
This is interesting....I've never heard of this before. Let us know how it goes! Good Luck!

brittanylyn
07-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Okay...I'm going in. Be back in an hour.

*eep!*

brittanylyn
07-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Okay...I just took it.

Totally not what I expected....just a bunch of "choose the answer that best describes YOU in this situation" type stuff. Frustrating at times because it was so vague, but I feel good. Hopefully I'll get a second interview!

Thanks for all of your help!

Hollie
07-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for letting us know!!!!

aneal
07-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Hey Brittany -- I've taken something similar to that. It was an Insight test or something along those lines... Really just a way for a school district to get a feel for how you would react in different situations, and since there's no real wrong or right answer, they get a better idea of the "you" in the classroom, kwim?

hope it all goes great for you with the interview!
Aud