PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready for it (WTC movie)

Shannon
07-18-2006, 11:27 PM
I noticed that they're starting to show the commercials for the World Trade Center movie, which means just a few more weeks until it's released. When I first saw the full length preview on the internet, I cried my eyes out. And now, whenever the television trailer is on, I HAVE to watch it. It still just moves me every time.

Is anyone else looking forward to yet dreading this movie all at the same time? I almost don't want to see it in the theater because I know how much I'll be crying. But I know I can't wait for it to be on dvd so I'll probably go. It's gonna be a hard one though.

Trina
07-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Yup, looking forward to it, also, but dreading it. Hard to believe it's been almost 5 years :(

beaucat
07-18-2006, 11:52 PM
No, I'm not looking forward to it -- I bawled my head off in the movie theater when I saw the trailer.

I think it is something that should always be remembered but it is not something that I want to relive even through a movie. However, I can understand that others may be interested in seeing it.

Angela

limabean
07-19-2006, 03:10 AM
NOT! Was there at the WTC that day - don't want to re-live it thank you very much!

Teresa Victor
07-19-2006, 04:17 AM
I had moved to D.C. less than a week before this happened.....got teary just from the TV trailer....no way do I need to "relive" it in the theater either. Would much rather pay to see a movie that makes me happy. :)

Angela
07-19-2006, 04:22 AM
I'll watch it. To me, it's kinda like Passion of The Christ. I NEEDED to see that.

Debbie McKenzie
07-19-2006, 04:31 AM
I know I am on the other side of the world but I can still remember what I was doing when it happened. It was in the middle of the night and it came on live on the TV. I don't think that I slept much that night and I can tell you that it had a deeply profound effect on my family and myself. I can't even begin to imagine the devastating effect that it has had on all of you in the US. Big hugs to everyone.

Fiona Renwick
07-19-2006, 04:34 AM
I'll watch it. To me, it's kinda like Passion of The Christ. I NEEDED to see that.

I know what you mean. Even though I'm on the other side of the world, 9/11 still had an amazing impact on my life. I don't think i'll watch it in the cinema. I'd prefer to watch it at home.

pbrooks
07-19-2006, 05:02 AM
I am not sure if I could watch the movie at the theater. If I watch it, it will probably be on DVD.

Pam

mlpieters
07-19-2006, 05:05 AM
nope. and i'm not too happy they even made it.

Betsy
07-19-2006, 05:23 AM
As a NYC-area resident, I'm not ready. But I don't know that I ever will be. And if others need to see it, be reminded, learn about it all, well, then it needs to be done.

We relive it everyday here, seeing the hole in the sky where the Towers once stood, still hearing from and helping families who lost so much... just this week the paper ran a huge front page centerpiece on a local resident who just now got her husband's wallet returned to her. It was the first identifying info she had proving he was there, and gone. So very sad.

Keela
07-19-2006, 05:34 AM
NOT! Was there at the WTC that day - don't want to re-live it thank you very much!

2bscrapped - I'm so sorry you had to go through that... I can't even imagine.

I'm not sure I want to see it.

mmy2vce
07-19-2006, 05:44 AM
I just don't like the idea of capitalizing on the tragedy. We all know what happened and it is so heartbreaking that revisiting it in this way is probably not so healthy. I would love to know that profits were going to those that need them or to fund security measures. Just my thoughts...I don't think I want to "relive" this over and over again when it does nothing but drag you into a funk...all these people passed in such an awful way...just not healthy for continuing on. This sounds like rambling but how do you put such sadness and heartbreak into words that can sooth...too garbled in my brain.

SandyM
07-19-2006, 05:47 AM
I cried just watching the trailer at the movie. I don't think I will be going to the movie to see it.

Bill
07-19-2006, 05:50 AM
I can understand people in New York that day, like Miriam, not wanting to see it. They saw the real thing, so the movie is more reliving than retelling. They don't need a movie to remind them of what happened.

Or those who lost a loved one.

For most of us, I think it's like it is for Angela. We NEED it. We've gotten so used to debating and arguing and Iraq and John Kerry and more Iraq that we forgot what started all this mess. Of course, each side politically will say that the movie backs up their version of what should happen now, but hopefully regular Americans will come away from it with a clearer rememberance of what happened and how they felt that day.

robinforman
07-19-2006, 06:00 AM
I just don't like the idea of capitalizing on the tragedy

ITA! I won't be seeing it for several reasons, one, I am just not ready- too emotionally draining in my opinion, but second, because even if it is telling a great story, the intention was to make money from what happened, and I am NOT okay with that.

~Julie~
07-19-2006, 06:04 AM
Do they say anything about where the profits are going?

I dont think I will be seeing it in the theater but I will definetly rent it

Susan Long
07-19-2006, 06:10 AM
We've gotten so used to debating and arguing and Iraq and John Kerry and more Iraq that we forgot what started all this mess. Of course, each side politically will say that the movie backs up their version of what should happen now, but hopefully regular Americans will come away from it with a clearer rememberance of what happened and how they felt that day.

This is why I won't watch it. Seems like propaganda to me. If they were donating the movie profits to the families that lost someone that day... maybe.

Plus, why on Earth did they cast Nicholas Cage for the lead role? I love him, but not for something like this. He's too surfer dude to me. Or Valley Girl... LOL!

Interesting thread.

AmyTeets
07-19-2006, 06:10 AM
I don't know if I can watch it :( If the money was going directly to the survivors or the victims family I would be there four times over ;)

Cyndy McAtee
07-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Nope. My brother-in-law was at the Pentagon & he was two floors above where the plane hit. His floor began to colapse & they had to crawl out on hands & knees, holding on to the person before them. If someone hadn't yelled at them the way to go as they were visitors from a Naval base, they would have died. Luckily they all got out, but I don't want to see the movie. I can remember in my head well enough.
Cyndy

Rynonut Mom
07-19-2006, 06:28 AM
I have seen the trailer several times already and have cried (not just a tear) EVERY time I've seen it. So much emotion tied up in that day. I too wonder about them making it, but I heard some one say that 10-20 years from now, someone will want to know about that day. I can see that. And I think it's good that it was made now, before all the details disappear with time. I think we DO need to remember, not the actual happenings themselves, but the acts that were done. It CAN happen here and that needs to be remembered. It needs to be remembered that we need to find him.
They made the Flight 93 movie already, and I haven't seen that one either. I won't be going to the movies to see it. We just don't go to movies anymore, we rent the DVD later, and we might do that - we'll see.

m1218p
07-19-2006, 06:45 AM
I will see it. And I will cry. And I will think about it for days. And I will encourage others to see it if it's even halfway decent. To me, 911 is a lot like the Holocaust--not in numbers, thank God, but in that it is something that HAS to be remembered. We are fools to believe we can live in peace and somehow need to be reminded. And yes, I have aunts and uncles and cousins by the dozens who live in Stoystown, PA where Flight 93 crashed (and who were there for the cleanup) and another cousin who had just left a job at the Pentagon when all this happened. Maybe because it is something that will make me cry and remember, maybe that's the reason I NEED to see it. Marci

lynnxcross
07-19-2006, 06:51 AM
No Im totally not ready for it. I dont think I could stand to see it. I remember that morning like it was yesterday and it was awful, scary and sad enough the first time around. Just my personal opinion

KellyandCo
07-19-2006, 07:08 AM
I will see it. And I will cry. And I will think about it for days. And I will encourage others to see it if it's even halfway decent. To me, 911 is a lot like the Holocaust--not in numbers, thank God, but in that it is something that HAS to be remembered. We are fools to believe we can live in peace and somehow need to be reminded.

My husband is in Iraq right now. I will see it. I have to know that my husband is fighting for our country's freedom to get these a$$holes that did this (sorry I'm upset) My husband is missing so much of mine and my son's lives, I have to know that it is justified. And even if this movie doesn't offer that, I have to know that there is a DAMN good reason to go after the guys. Sorry if that means to watch something that it is a MAJOR part of our history, I need to relive that moment in my life when I sat with my husband before we were a family, feeling the ache for all these people. He joined the military AFTER this happened...so we knew what we were in for. I don't want people to feel sorry for us because he is there. We KNEW what was in store for us, so, yes I will see this movie. Sorry to ramble...

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it." -George Santayana

edited to add: OTOH, I know that if I had been there, or lost someone actually in it, I don't think I could handle seeing it in the theater and maybe not so soon.

mrs2a50
07-19-2006, 07:14 AM
I will probably watch it, but on DVD, not in the theater. I agree that its a piece of our history that we can't ever let be forgotten. Had I actually been there, or lost someone, I doubt I could do it though.

brittanylyn
07-19-2006, 07:17 AM
I'm going to see it, and I saw Flight 93. I most definitely know I would be singing a different tune if I lived in NY or had family/friends directly affected by 9/11. It is completely understandable that a lot of peeps will not be seeing it for that reason.

LoLo
07-19-2006, 08:34 AM
Nope. My brother-in-law was at the Pentagon & he was two floors above where the plane hit. His floor began to colapse & they had to crawl out on hands & knees, holding on to the person before them. If someone hadn't yelled at them the way to go as they were visitors from a Naval base, they would have died. Luckily they all got out, but I don't want to see the movie. I can remember in my head well enough.
Cyndy

I think its interesting that the PLANE word was used here when there was no actual evidence of a plane at the Pentagon. People that were near the Pentagon never saw a PLANE. The video that was recently released not too long ago does not even show a PLANE. I think theres a lot of things about 9-11 that we do not know. I agree with this movie being propaganda when so many americans are actually waking up to the whole "War on terror" and not so many are pro war anymore. Our great president is not being supported so maybe this will help gather some more support for the "War on Terror" :wink:

I am glad most people here wont be seeing this movie! What you should see is A Scanner Darkly. :)

LoLo
07-19-2006, 09:00 AM
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it." -George Santayana

edited to add: OTOH, I know that if I had been there, or lost someone actually in it, I don't think I could handle seeing it in the theater and maybe not so soon.

I love this quote from above about the history and thought I would add another fav quote of mine. :D

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
-Benjamin Franklin

Heres something someone posted about history repeating itself and whats going on in our time (http://blog.myspace.com/theboston)

A. Mooney
07-19-2006, 09:30 AM
I'm on the fence about it. Part of me wants to see it but then I know it would affect me for days.

rmcabana
07-19-2006, 09:54 AM
I won't see this movie and I won't see Flight 93. I watched as this happened, from across the Hudson River, and I don't need to see a movie about it. I have seen the trailer for WTC at least 3 times and I really wanted to complain to the movie theater as the theater where I have seen it is right across from Manhattan on the NJ waterfront, where you could see all of this happen. I think it is very insensitive, especially since they were doing a lot of heavy advertising for it here 4th of July weekend.

Hollie
07-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Not going to see it. I'll never forget it, movie or not. Hope it is a good movie and really hope proceeds go to help people affected by it (but not holding my breath).

diannerigdon
07-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Even thinking about it tears me up and I got surprised by the trailer the other day and it took me right back. I don't want to see it. I don't have problems with it being made or other people seeing it. But it just feels so horrible to watch it all again....again with my hands tied and my eyes wet and my head and heart hurting while my little ones look on and wonder why mommie is crying in front of the tv all day long. I do think that if it is made well, it will be a monument to the people who rose above this atrocity, but for me I just can't watch it.

PeggyC
07-19-2006, 11:05 AM
OK... so I just went and watched the trailer and don't think I can go to the theatre as I would probably cry through the entire movie.

Just a note on an aspect of this movie that I thought was very incredible. I saw a documentary on TV the other night about the making of WTC. Did you realize that all of the "extra" police in this film are REAL NYC police that were at the WTC on 9/11? They did interviews with them and they talked about the first time on the set and how they all cried because it had been recreated so realistically. And talked about how they wanted to be a part of this movie to be able to tell the story.

scribler
07-19-2006, 11:27 AM
I've been very lucky so far and have not seen the trailer once and I've been to see three movies in the last month. (Replay at home means we always skip commercials there.) And I can say I am very grateful. I have no intention of seeing the movie. I can remember in vivid detail exactly what I did the entire day. I don't need a movie to help me remember.

That being said, if the movie is an accurate portrayal without political bents, then it probably does need to be made. So that those who were not alive on that day, or too young to remember it, can learn about the horrible tragedies that occurred that day.

KellyandCo
07-19-2006, 11:33 AM
That being said, if the movie is an accurate portrayal without political bents, then it probably does need to be made. So that those who were not alive on that day, or too young to remember it, can learn about the horrible tragedies that occurred that day.

ITA with this. I think as long as it is kept bias-free and plainly tells a story without laying faults on certain people, it has every right to be made. BUT if it is going to show how someone "messed up", etc, then that is NOT right. I should have stated that I have yet to see a trailer also, if it is being used to start controversy then I will NOT see it. (I wouldn't see it at the theater either way, I would be a mess, I would wait for the DVD)

Scrappylove
07-19-2006, 12:19 PM
I won't see it-
I was on the NJ Turnpike on the eve of 911 and we were aat a stand still people out of their cars looking at the smoke coming from where the towers stood- we can smell the smoke. I still get goose bumps as I remember the convoy of ambulances flashing their lights with no sound from all over as far as PA going towards the Lincoln Tunnel-
it must have been devistating for those ambulance workers to reach ground zero and find there was hardly anyone to rescue......

GinaMiller
07-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Absolutely in no way shape or form and I even remotely "ready" to see this movie. I don't know that I will ever be. I saw the black smoke from my college campus that day. Local friends and families lost their lives. My husband works in a Firehouse where men passed away. Hell, I can't even watch Ladder 49 because I associate the story with my husband. I would not be able to handle this movie. Not at all.

daisyrose
07-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Won't be seeing this (or flight 93). I think it's tacky that they are doing movies so soon.

I grew up an Air Force brat in Hawaii. The movie Pearl Harbor was so traumatic for me to watch - seeing places I'd visited and lived-in blown to bits, having known WWII survivors. I bawled like a baby.
I CANNOT IMAGINE what it would be like for anyone in anyway connected to have to watch something about 9/11. I don't think they are honoring anyone with those movies, they are just out to make money off of something so tragic it should never be touched by hollywood's hands.

vent over.

Marcie Reckinger
07-19-2006, 02:46 PM
I'll probably wait until it come out on DVD. Not sure what my thoughts are on this movie....I too think the money should go to the families of 911.

mives121
07-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Probably not. Still too early for me.