PDA

View Full Version : Who uses an organizer for scrap stuff?

Sulis
07-19-2006, 05:48 AM
Just wondering how many people use something like PSE organizer or digital scraproom to organize their scrap supplies. I just use Windows Explorer to find stuff as I have accumulated such a volume of digi stuff it would take me approximately 68 years to export and tag everything into one of these programs. What do you use and what do you like about it? I already have PSE 3 organizer but was put off trying to organize my supplies as I have heard of people losing all the tags when it crashes.

Keely~B
07-19-2006, 06:22 AM
I switched from PS Album to Digital Scraproom. I had problems with PS Album not backing up as well as running super slow. I know some people can get away with just using their normal folders etc but that's never really worked for me. The best things IMHO about the program are the PNG previews and being able to keep track of what you use.

designs by krista
07-19-2006, 06:30 AM
I just use Explorer. I got Digital Scraproom and I must not understand it or something ~ I didn't like it. I'm sticking with Explorer.

m1218p
07-19-2006, 06:35 AM
I spents months of my life building Organizer with PSE3 only to have it crash on me twice. I researched it and found it is described by people in the industry as "unstable". I gave up for a long time. Now I've got Meier Media's Digital Scraproom and am VERY slowly building it. I had such a bad experience with Organizer that I can't seem to motivate myself to really go after setting up Digital Scraproom. But I've tried Windows Explorer and I've tried Picasa and neither worked for me so............ Marci

jorgies5
07-19-2006, 08:16 AM
I have used PSE 3 and 4 organizers to organize my stuff and have never had any problems. It has crashed on me several times, but I have never lost any of the tags that I have created. I don't know what I would do without it. I have SOO many categories and it really helps me find things fast.

beaucat
07-19-2006, 08:18 AM
I'm using digital scraproom - I've organized over 200 kits in it.

One thing to be careful of with digital scraproom (or many of the other organizers) is make sure you like how your folders on your harddrive are laid out - if you move a file on the computer, the software can't find it.

Angela

KellyandCo
07-19-2006, 08:20 AM
What I am wondering...about DSR is...will it run off my EHD? I have MOST (soon ALL) of my DigiScrap supplies over there, can I run it so it only gets those files off my EHD?

RatherBscrappin
07-19-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm using PSE 4's Organizer that I back-up regularly ... knock wood ... so far so good! :D

Sulis
07-19-2006, 08:29 AM
How do you back up PSE organizer so it keeps all the tags intact?

lcbannon
07-19-2006, 08:31 AM
I do not have dsr yet but I know they are making upgrades and the new one is to be released Aug 1. I have tried a number of them so far not impressed much.

Keely~B
07-19-2006, 08:54 AM
I have DSR installed on my C drive but I keep all of my supplies on my EHD. No problems.

For PS organizers you can copy the actual catalog file to back up your tags. I think it's in your Documents and Settings. HTH

I agree with Andrea, you need an idea of how you want to use things before you start organizing. I've also learned to keep it as simple as possible.

Anna
07-19-2006, 09:18 AM
I just finished organizing all of my digi stuff in PSE 4's organizer, so far no problems. It has made scrapping so much more fun and productive, now I can see all of my "red" "papers" at one time etc.. I should have done it months ago!

Heidi @Sugargiggles did a daily series on organizing your scrap supplies digitally. I found it very helpful, the link is below.

http://sugargiggles.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=28&sid=84b3dd7de4242b2b5a5a28369a119f97

A

RatherBscrappin
07-19-2006, 09:28 AM
How do you back up PSE organizer so it keeps all the tags intact?
While in PSE 4 Organizer, open "My Catalog.psa" (if it isn't opened automatically)
From File Menu, select Backup
From the Backup options menu, select Backup the Catalog
Reconnect any missing files OR Continue - since I don't mess with moving any of my files, I elect to just continue
From the Backup options menu, select Full Backup ...need to do this the 1st time then you can select Incremental Backup when files are added/changed/etc. (note: Incremental backups are good, but try to do a Full Backup at least 1x a month or more if your adding to your catalog. In the event of a crash, a restore will only be as up-to-date as your last full back-up)
Click Next
Select your Desintation Drive and Backup Path
Click Next - and depending on how much you have in your catalog will determine how long this takes.HTH!

Sulis
07-19-2006, 09:40 AM
Thank you - that was a great explanation of how to back up! Does anyone know what volume of supplies these organizers can handle comfortably? How many gigs (or how many kits) have you imported? Do they process more slowly the more you put into them?

liannallama
07-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Well DSR requires you to tag all your stuff and I just have too much stuff! So I keep using Picassa becasue I can search by file name and don't have to tag anything if I don't want to.

I'm pretty bummed, because otherwise DSR seems like a great program. I would pay $50 for a program that is searchable like Picasa that would show PNG's with the proper transparency! Picassa also keeps track of your files if you move them to another folder and that's pretty handy! Just those DARN PNG's!

juliebee70
07-19-2006, 01:07 PM
I am nearing completion of my tagging of my digi supplies. It is so wonderful to think, "I want a pink flower for this layout" and click PS Organizer and find 20 options!

Shelly
07-19-2006, 01:21 PM
I did this for the 1st few months I had pse and now it won't let me add anything new. I get an error message everytime i try to add new files. and as a newbie digi scrapper at the time, I burned them from the organizer onto disc and deleted them of my hd to save space! Now since i can't add anything new i rarely open the organizer and consequently have TONS of kits that are going unused. I have 17 disc of stuff burned off of my organizer, but all the kits are broken up so it's going to be HUGE job to try to re-organize them somewhere else. I don't know what to do with it!! Any suggestions??

Anna
07-19-2006, 01:21 PM
I felt like I had a whole new scrap stash once everything was organized and I could SEE everything I had in whatever way I wanted to see it simply by choosing the right tags in my organizer.

Ripal
07-19-2006, 01:42 PM
I had everything set up in my PSE 3.. LOTS of tags... and one day it crashed! I lost everything... So, I had to recreate my catalog and just thinking about all the lost hours on tagging everything used to make me give it up! lol But when I saw the organizing system Heidi and how much she raves her system, I wanted to give it another try. I'm done making all the tags.. now the hard part is actually tagging those 14,000 elements/papers! lol But, sooner or later, I'll get it done! I loved finding 'red' 'paper' just in seconds... I miss that when scrapping and so much of good stuff goes without being used! Can't wait till I have it all tagged again.

Darcy Baldwin
07-19-2006, 03:29 PM
So, for those of you using Windows Explorer...are you able to tag things..or do you just copy elements into subcategories. That's what I've been finding myself doing lately. I have an elements folder that has all the subfolders of different kinds of elements and copies of those from kits in there. Whenever I get a new kit, I copy elements that I think I'll use a lot into their elements sub-folders.

I'd like to be able to do it with papers, too, but that's just too daunting of a task at this moment.

Is this what you do?

lulusmom
07-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Darcy, I use windows explorer and I do it exactly like you do. Yes, it takes more HD space but I just can't see spending 100 hours tagging all my stuff.

Serena Thomas
07-19-2006, 04:55 PM
I did this for the 1st few months I had pse and now it won't let me add anything new. I get an error message everytime i try to add new files. and as a newbie digi scrapper at the time, I burned them from the organizer onto disc and deleted them of my hd to save space! Now since i can't add anything new i rarely open the organizer and consequently have TONS of kits that are going unused. I have 17 disc of stuff burned off of my organizer, but all the kits are broken up so it's going to be HUGE job to try to re-organize them somewhere else. I don't know what to do with it!! Any suggestions??

I just had a problem with the organizer and downloaded an update. Apparently it is not uncommom to get the error message and shut downs when you have lots of tags (I've got over 35000). I also had a problem with certain scrap items causing it to shut down. I just don't add those and chalked it up to something weird going on. Since I got the update I haven't had the error message.

Shelly
07-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks! I am going to go search for the update now!

Any idea where to get it?? I am doing a search, but not coming up with anything.

anrobe
07-19-2006, 05:36 PM
I was just using Explorer for a long time but was frustrated at my inability to find exactly what i was looking for. so, I bought Digital Scraproom and began importing everything to it. Ultimately, I stopped using it because it just wasn't working for me. It was hard to import new stuff that I added to my designer folders on my EHD because I had to remember which ones to import - it didn't just pick up the new ones and add them. Plus, the tagging was a bit annoying because I couldn't just click and drag like in PSE. So, I have started tagging everything in PSE's organizer. I started a new catalog for just my digi stuff and used Heidi's posts over on sugargiggles as a starting point for tags. It's a work in progress and will likely take me forever but I'm much happier with the flexibility and ease of finding stuff. If Digital Scraproom makes some changes, I may ultimately pick it up again and give it a shot. But, for now, I'll stick with PSE's organizer.

Serena Thomas
07-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks! I am going to go search for the update now!

Any idea where to get it?? I am doing a search, but not coming up with anything.

Try this:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=72&platform=Windows

I picked the one that says "Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0.1 update-English"

HTH

karmakimmie
07-19-2006, 07:01 PM
I use iPhoto and iPhoto Buddy for my supplies. iPhoto to organize my supplies, and iPhoto Buddy to manage multiple libraries. Works like a charm!

Kim

KellyandCo
07-19-2006, 07:12 PM
I use iPhoto and iPhoto Buddy for my supplies. iPhoto to organize my supplies, and iPhoto Buddy to manage multiple libraries. Works like a charm!

Kim

That looks really cool!

tlccreates
07-19-2006, 07:53 PM
I would pay $50 for a program that is searchable like Picasa that would show PNG's with the proper transparency! Picassa also keeps track of your files if you move them to another folder and that's pretty handy! Just those DARN PNG's!

I have switched over to thumbsplus. I used jasc photo album (before it was corel) and it crashed at times and was sooooo slow. And it was a ROYAL pain to try to move an entire folder to a new location. Then I bought PCE4, just for the organizer. I wanted one that would be supported for years to come since I was going to invest a lot of time tagging (yup, had to redo all that work cause these programs don't play nice like and allow you to import your tags) Again, I hated when I had to move entire folders ! I download to a folder called 'elements to be filed' and then after tagging they get moved to the 'Elements' folder. I also found that the Organizer got really slow and crashed at times. I got fed up and ended up not using it when scrapping, it wasn't worth the time it took to open and search.

Now with thumbsplus it is a cinch to move folders, pngs look just fine, and it doesn't take a week and a day to open and run searches. yes, I am once again redoing all my keywords, don't know if I'll ever be done but it is still usable even if only partially done. Give it a try, trial prog is fully usable, just time limited.

scribler
07-20-2006, 02:44 AM
ThumbsPlus seems to be exactly what I've been looking for. I'm so happy to learn about it.

rocalisa
07-20-2006, 03:59 AM
I'm using Microsoft Digital Image Suite Library and I really like it. It will pick up anything new that has been put in a watched directory, so as long as I stick with my main top level folders I no longer manually need to add anything.

It has a nice thumbnail system and recognises and draws .png files as well as the usual standards like .jpg.

HeidiD
07-20-2006, 10:33 PM
With ThumbsPlus, I wasn't sure about their keyword system. Is there a way to set it up so that it's easily accessible? Or do you have to go into that menu each time? And then when you search for keywords, you just have that one search box to choose from? (Hope that makes sense . . .) I really like the system, but the way the keywords are managed (as I understand them) won't work for me. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

tlccreates
07-21-2006, 07:19 AM
control K brings up the keyword insertion box
I finally decided to make all my keywords singular (tag, brad, paper, etc) cause I kept forgetting which ones were plural and some were singlular. So I just type in the words I want to be the tags for that item, use a ; between each tag.

This is one of the very rare times that I don't use my tablet. I use the little thumb screen on the laptop so I don't have to keep picking up and putting down the pen.

After doing a bunch of keywording you can go in and check all the keywords, I think it is from the file menu (sorry I am on the other computer right now). That is where I find the misspelled tags. But they are easy to fix there.

Remember that you can select a bunch of files and assign keywords to the whold bunch at the same time.

hope this helps

liannallama
07-21-2006, 07:56 AM
I had trouble using the search function on thumbsplus demo. I searched for "twill" to test it and it showed 600 files but most of them were papers and nothing at all related to twill. Then I tried something else and now all searches say that no items can be found! I'm going to try to install and test it at work to see if it works better on XP.

bttrflygrl
07-21-2006, 08:22 AM
From what understand, DSR requires that you open each kit folder to see what's inside. True? I like that PSOrg displays the CONTENTS of each folder as you scroll through the thumbs w/o having to open each subsequent folder.

My concern for apps like DSR is the long-term support. Once I'm finished tagging in Organizer, I really hope that I won't ever have to go through that hell again, LOL!. So as PS provides upgrades, it will be a seamless transition. More importantly, I don't think that Adobe is going to cease to exist any time soon, nor do expect that they have plans to discontinue their Organizer software. And if for some reason they do, I think there will always be support resources via Adobe and other Adobe communities to get support when needed. DSR seems great, but I would be disappointed if I invested so much time maintaining my files with it only to find that it is "discontinued" down the road. Does that make sense?

I'm pretty sure ThumbsPlus has a very large following in the photography community, so I'm sure that the support/upgrades will be around for quite a while. Personally, I need an easy, fluid tagging system so Organizer is the better choice for me. But I have heard lots of great things about ThumbsPl.

Charlene
07-21-2006, 09:05 AM
From what understand, DSR requires that you open each kit folder to see what's inside. True? .

Shoot, I'd really like to know this too. I was planning on picking it up after they released the new version on the 1st. If I still have to open up individual folders, I'll pass though...

tlccreates
07-21-2006, 09:07 AM
I had trouble using the search function on thumbsplus demo. I searched for "twill" to test it and it showed 600 files but most of them were papers and nothing at all related to twill. Then I tried something else and now all searches say that no items can be found! I'm going to try to install and test it at work to see if it works better on XP.

go to search by query>search by keyword
then build your list of keywords and when you select one (example: ribbon) be sure to move it over to the box on the right, then when you tell it to search it will pull up all the "ribbon" items.

thumbsplus is set up on Access, i think, so it works a lot like that. the box on thr right has all of your keywords you need to select the ones to use as the search. You can add however many you want "red ribbon xmas" would bring up all your red christmas ribbons.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A KEYWORD "PREVIEW" SO THAT YOU CAN CALL UP A QUICK VIEW OF ALL YOUR KITS. now if we could just get all designers to include previews in the zip files so we don't have to go back and save the store preview image.

liannallama
07-21-2006, 09:13 AM
What a great suggestion! I finally figured out the filename search while I'm here at work today :O

It only searches for the entire filename, so to find "twill" I have to search for *twill*.*

I need a program that's useable without keywording all my files because there's just too many of them! But then if I get ambitious I can still use keywords!

I LOVE your idea of putting a "preview" keyword--that is sooo smart!

Sulis
07-21-2006, 09:25 AM
I purchased Digital Scrapoom yesterday and after experimenting with it, I have to say it is just not for me. I don't want to have to type key words when searching for things - I just want to click on a tag that with bring everything up with that tag. I have checked out ACDSee also and this seems very like PSE Organizer which so far, seems to be better than Digital Scraproom, in my opinion.

tlccreates
07-21-2006, 09:59 AM
I need a program that's useable without keywording all my files because there's just too many of them! But then if I get ambitious I can still use keywords!

If you find one that does all the keywording for you - GOLD MINE !
unfortuantely there isn't a uniform system for naming files among designers. So the best I could suggest is using the search feature in windows explorer for finding 'twill' as part of the file name. That may get some of them but probably not all.

Keywording does take time. You could make it quicker by just doing some simple ones: preview, holiday, your favorite designers OR just do the keywording on the preview file alone. (christmas, preview, vintage, sewing) for a kit that would suit christmas theme, has some great stitches, and colors are muted that would look nice for vintage LOs.

ANOTHER TIP - choose one letter of the alpha and make that your preview letter. No special reason but I chose B as mine. So when I open an alpha folder I just chose the B to do the keywords on, since many alphas do not have preview files. If the alpa uses different colors of looks on other letters include another letter also.

tlccreates
07-21-2006, 10:07 AM
another 'good' thing about organizing your files
It saves hard drive space !
That's because you look at downloads differently now. Is that freebie really worth the time to download, unzip, reorganize the files, AND keyword???

I actually don't download every freebie I see, now !

And when going thru my files I actually - GASP - delete some kits shhhhhhhhhh

I have downloaded more kits than I could ever use and in the beginning I was a newbie who didn't know the difference in quality AND some designers were newbies too. Let's just say that my tastes have matured.

LindsayLou
07-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Does anyone use the file browser that is in Photoshop (I have CS). I thought this would work as well, but I'd love to hear from others with "real life" experience with it...

PaulaM
07-22-2006, 03:52 PM
I use Digital Scraproom and I LOVE it!! It is such a cool program and you don't have to worry about taking much space because you don't burn space with every tag you make.

Plus, it also has helped me to remember what exactly I have. =) I actually found some kits that I've never used. LOL