PDA

View Full Version : Memory Mixer software - this is COOL!!!

just terra
07-19-2006, 07:58 AM
Ok i know we all have our own programs already and that people remain pretty loyal to their own program once comfortable - but I am supposed to be teaching a memory mixers software class at studio d next month, so i brought it home to play with it.

It does a lot of drag and drop your photos into predesigned places, quick-pages if you will, which is great, but you can also start from scratch and build your own pages, with a lot of guidance on what will look balanced/etc.

anyways - so last nite i told it to pick a certain file of pics, picked a background and it mixed them all into an ADORABLE album! i mean, i was REALLY blown away at how cute it turned out! i doubt i could have made it that cute if i had spent DAYS on it, which it surely would have taken me to get a whole album done like this!

so now i have to just add in some journaling, some cute embellishments (which i can use my favorite gina miller flowers and stitches, or some of the adorable included ones), and print and bind! I can get that done at any kinko's or office max - and there i have an ADORABLE coffee table book or gift for grandparents! - in about an hour!

this is also the software you can add in music and video to make a dvd slideshow.

i just wanted to tell you all about this cause i know that we are ALL bombarded everyday from our friends and family on where do i start, how can i do this? and instead of becoming their personal Photoshop tutor, which could be fun if you have that much spare time! - you can refer them to this software!
i am probably going to be getting this for my mom, who struggles with remembering where the power button is located on her computer.

It is available at most scrapbook stores and i think even some of the big box stores like michael's, joann's, etc. Best Buy should have it too...

anyways - it may be worth checking out if you have a large scale project you are wanting to get done FAST or if you are helping some beginners get started! you may just find yourself impressed at what this little program can do!

(and no i am not in any way affiliated with this software - i was just so duly impressed with it after at first being somewhat resistant to a paper company's stab at digi-scrapping software! SO glad i gave it a try!)

check it out!

Memory Mixer Software (http://www.memorymixer.com/)

SheScraps
07-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Wow sounds cool and perfect for gift albums at Christmas time!!

KellieMize
07-19-2006, 08:10 AM
I am so psyched to see you post about this just terra. I made a bunch of templates for the Memory Mixer software a while back. Lasting Impressions debuted it at the last winter CHA, but I haven't really heard boo about it since then. And now, so many other companies are coming out with proprietary software. It'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out for digital.

Rhoda Jayne
07-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Of course I've wanted to try this out too :o :o I was concerned over whether my computer would be up to the challenge of running it. I looked at the requirements again & I'm curious about video ram requirements.
How do you check to see what your computer has? I looked at the control panel but didn't know where to go from there.
I also ran the Belarc advisor but didn't see it. If I have enough video ram I'd like to try MM.
It really sounds fun & I love to buy software :lol: :lol:

Kathryn Balint
07-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Sounds interesting.

Question for you: Can you use regular png files and jpegs from digital scrapbooking kits or do you have to make a jpeg then add the embellishments afterward?

just terra
07-19-2006, 10:22 AM
rhoda jayne - i am not sure how to help you figure out that video ram thing either! I still have the stickers on the front of my computer that list all the cool stuff inside and that is how i figure it out!

I would dare say if your computer is new within the last year to 18 months - you are probably more than good to go!

Kathryn - I was able to do it both ways - from scratch i was able to locate my folder of digi scrap stuff and then just open it into memory mixer, my blank document/page, and then able to add stuff after i had let it pre-mix my pics with backgrounds.

it really does seem to be a great little timesaving program!

kellie - that is so cool that you were able to help with this program! since you are in the chicago area - you wanna come down to studio d in naperville when we debut this class???

maybe i will catch up with you at CHA this weekend and we can discuss!

or pm me!

terra

Kathryn Balint
07-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks, Terra!

Christine Borgfeld
07-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the review - It's nice to have an idea of what it can do and I think it would be great beginners. I might have to check it out.

Laurabelle
07-19-2006, 11:14 AM
very cool! i wish there was a trial version, i HATE spending money on things w/out trying them first.

bttrflygrl
07-19-2006, 02:20 PM
I have on the fence about this software for quite a while. I have such a long list of gift albums yet to be completed. I really do think I might just take the plunge.

As for Kellie designing templates - if you go on the Memory Mixer website you'll see lots of templates available for purchase. You'll recognize lots of well known digi designers with templates there. It definitely says something about the quality of templates if you do decide to go the pre-made route. It's not like someone from LI took a stab at making some templates for the digi community. They temps really are designed by women that we already know and love (ie, Kellie Mize, LOL!)

I for one couldn't really get past the idea that I was giving gift albums that I personally didn't design. BUT... when I read that you can work from scratch or add to existing temps, I felt much better about it.

One question - can the templates be rearranged, ala layers or something similar? Or can you just add to them as they are?

laurieg
07-19-2006, 02:35 PM
This sounds really cool for making an album- especially with Kellie Mize's stuff! ;)

Rhoda- look under my computer>hard disk drives
if you hover over the drive it should say free space and total size
or you can right click>properties and see the pie chart there :)

Rhoda Jayne
07-19-2006, 02:41 PM
This sounds really cool for making an album- especially with Kellie Mize's stuff! ;)

Rhoda- look under my computer>hard disk drives
if you hover over the drive it should say free space and total size
or you can right click>properties and see the pie chart there :)

I need to find out about the video ram. I think my processor is alright & I've got enough memory for it. I was waiting for this until I saw the system requirements & then I was concerned whether my computer(s) could run it.
I installed 3Dalbum on my son's computer because it didn't run as well on mine.
Rhoda

laurieg
07-19-2006, 03:34 PM
sorry Rhoda- didn't see the little word "video" duh :oops:

try this:
control panel>display>settings>advanced>adapter
it's under memory size (I have 128 MB)

HTH :oops:

Marcie Reckinger
07-19-2006, 03:38 PM
this does look and sound cool!

Rhoda Jayne
07-19-2006, 03:55 PM
sorry Rhoda- didn't see the little word "video" duh :oops:

try this:
control panel>display>settings>advanced>adapter
it's under memory size (I have 128 MB)

HTH :oops:

Thanks Laurie! I have 128 too!! I didn't know where to look. Can you tell me what this means? "256 mb of ram available-not shared with video"

I have a Mobile Sempron(tm) processor2800+
1.59GHz, 1.12gb ram

I was going to email HP & see if I was compatible with MM. Maybe someone knows here?

Pleazze someone tell me I can run this software :roll: :roll: :roll:

laurieg
07-19-2006, 04:14 PM
I would take it to mean that you need that much "regular" RAM available to run it- not including video RAM

like what I talked about before when I thought you were asking about "regular" RAM LOL!

I'm sure you have enough RAM Rhoda. ;)

just terra
07-19-2006, 04:23 PM
it would seem like you have enough - i do'nt have the box for software with me so i can't confirm for sure!
but it seems like you have a pretty good size amount of ram going...

hmmm
trying to think of ways you could possibly try it...but i just am comin up blank!

i am SURE someone here knows how to help you figure this out for sure!

terra

Rhoda Jayne
07-19-2006, 08:21 PM
it would seem like you have enough - i do'nt have the box for software with me so i can't confirm for sure!
but it seems like you have a pretty good size amount of ram going...

hmmm
trying to think of ways you could possibly try it...but i just am comin up blank!

i am SURE someone here knows how to help you figure this out for sure!

terra

I'll find out soon enough! I just ordered it from onecraftymama.com
This board should just be named enabler.com :roll: (I need it for upcoming vacation pics, right??

Rhoda Jayne
07-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Ok i know we all have our own programs already and that people remain pretty loyal to their own program once comfortable - but I am supposed to be teaching a memory mixers software class at studio d next month, so i brought it home to play with it.

It does a lot of drag and drop your photos into predesigned places, quick-pages if you will, which is great, but you can also start from scratch and build your own pages, with a lot of guidance on what will look balanced/etc.

anyways - so last nite i told it to pick a certain file of pics, picked a background and it mixed them all into an ADORABLE album! i mean, i was REALLY blown away at how cute it turned out! i doubt i could have made it that cute if i had spent DAYS on it, which it surely would have taken me to get a whole album done like this!

so now i have to just add in some journaling, some cute embellishments (which i can use my favorite gina miller flowers and stitches, or some of the adorable included ones), and print and bind! I can get that done at any kinko's or office max - and there i have an ADORABLE coffee table book or gift for grandparents! - in about an hour!

this is also the software you can add in music and video to make a dvd slideshow.

i just wanted to tell you all about this cause i know that we are ALL bombarded everyday from our friends and family on where do i start, how can i do this? and instead of becoming their personal Photoshop tutor, which could be fun if you have that much spare time! - you can refer them to this software!
i am probably going to be getting this for my mom, who struggles with remembering where the power button is located on her computer.

It is available at most scrapbook stores and i think even some of the big box stores like michael's, joann's, etc. Best Buy should have it too...

anyways - it may be worth checking out if you have a large scale project you are wanting to get done FAST or if you are helping some beginners get started! you may just find yourself impressed at what this little program can do!

(and no i am not in any way affiliated with this software - i was just so duly impressed with it after at first being somewhat resistant to a paper company's stab at digi-scrapping software! SO glad i gave it a try!)

check it out!

Memory Mixer Software (http://www.memorymixer.com/)

Terra,
Do you have any pages in a gallery that you did with the instamix? I'd like to see how they turned out. I'd like to see some examples. Do you add elements later?
I decided if my computer has any problems with the program I'll load it on my son's pc. He's got a faster pc than mine so I'll be fine either way.
I'm so excited :D :D

lorimcg64
07-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Very interesting. The memorymixer website has a user gallery and some of the layouts are pretty cute.

chris
07-20-2006, 12:08 AM
What a coincidence! I've been searching for this site for several days! I came across it in May and though I never thought I'd even look at template type software, this was one I might consider if there was a need - perhaps as a gift book.

In May, the one that impressed me most was "All About Me" by Michelle Coleman - check it out. Funny thing, I purchased my very first digital paper last week and besides IOD, I got Boho Chic by her (I only noticed this when I just visited the site).

I have made my own templates for Photoshop similar to these. I just select the photo area and "copy into". These were for a vacation journal/photo slide show.
Chris

bttrflygrl
07-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Would an 11-year-old be able to master the software? She wants to digi scrap, but wants to get up and running pretty quickly, which PSE doesn't really allow you to do.

just terra
07-21-2006, 06:31 AM
debbie - i personally think it would be a GREAT thing for your 11 year old daughter.
especially doing a few of the pre-done mixes - i myself learned some cute layout techniques just watching the software put my pages together for me!

she may need your help walkling her through the saving process to get some posted (you have to go into each folder, open them up individual pages, then save them as their own jpgs in order to get good web quality individually vs. the whole album) - but - that is no different than any other software out there- just a case of trial and error.

It comes pre=loaded with SO many cute goodies that would really help her get a good handle on embellishments, papers, etc.

I do'nt know - i am just really pretty impressed with this little package!

You got two thumbs up from me!

terra

bttrflygrl
07-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks, Terra! Actually MY daughter is only 3 months old - I little too young for Memory Mixer I think, LOL!!!! I'm considering it for my cousin's daughter. Unfortunately she lives out of town so I won't be able to do any hands-on with her, plus I myself have no experience with the software (although I'm gonna go for it... I think!)

As for MY daughter - I am hoping, wishing, praying that she eventually wants to scrap with Mommy!!!! :D

just terra
07-21-2006, 08:13 AM
ROFL at myself and my skimming!!!

ha ha- your 3 month old scrapping - ok - it is easy to use software but not THAT easy!!!

wow.

anyways - ok got it - cousin's daughter.

as most pre-teens these days have WAY more techno knowledge than us old folks - i am sure she will be fine!

still laughing at myself...

sorry!

terra
(and yes i think it is every scrapper-mom's dream to have their children follow in their footsteps and scrap with them!!!)

bttrflygrl
07-21-2006, 01:15 PM
K - I have another question...

Can the elements files be opened in PS? If I wanted to add texture to a page, for example, can I do that? What format are the elements in Memory Mixer?

Rhoda Jayne
07-23-2006, 06:07 PM
The MemoryMixer website has some updates today. They have released a lite version of the software plus all the information for photobooks' printing & pricing are on the site now.
I hope mine will be here tomorow!
Rhoda

RobynV
07-23-2006, 08:17 PM
I tried it out at CHA yesterday and it really was easy. I had the exact same thought as Terra. It's great for getting a book done really quickly. I'll probably use it for Christmas gifts since I always wait too long to start those projects. LOL

The Lite version is only $30 vs. $80 for the full version. The Lite has less stuff included, but I have a big enough stash of my own that I'd rather use anyway. They gave a 30 day trial CD at CHA, and the rep said that stores are giving them out to encourage people to try. Might be worth asking at your LSS. I don't know if you can get a trial off of their website site or not.

I'm going to load my tomororow and play around so if you have any thing you you want me to try, let me know. :)

bttrflygrl
07-24-2006, 05:14 AM
Does the Lite version have the EXACT same functionality as the full version? Is it just the number of elements that is different?

bttrflygrl
07-24-2006, 06:38 AM
ENABLER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want it, go to www.scrapbookpal.com. It is on sale for $65 w/ NO SHIPPING!

I asked around on a couple of boards about their reputation, and only one person said they used them and liked them, but they also sell on ebay and have a perfect feedback score. I figured I'll just go for it. They say they have same day shipping, so we'll see. BTW - they didn't have the LITE version that I could see.

I decided I couldn't resist at this price. I figure I could "say" I'm going to make gift albums from scratch, but never actually have anything to show for it, or I could cheat a little and actually have completed albums to give as gifts. My family already thinks I'm a genious b/c I can do PS, so what they don't know won't kill 'em, right?? LOL!

I'll let you know what I think of the website AND MM when I get it!!

sincerelyours
07-24-2006, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the review T! Sounds like it could really make a difference between "thinking" about doing albums and acutally getting them done!

Jezza
07-24-2006, 08:09 PM
I bought it from onecraftymama.com

They express shipped it to me (Since i'm in Australia) and I didn't even know they were doing that the day after they got a new batch of the software in, and I got it yesterday morning from the Australia Post Courier guy!

I've not had a chance yet to fully explore it, but from what i've done so far, it looks brilliant, and worth the money!

Rhoda Jayne
07-24-2006, 08:23 PM
I bought it from onecraftymama.com

They express shipped it to me (Since i'm in Australia) and I didn't even know they were doing that the day after they got a new batch of the software in, and I got it yesterday morning from the Australia Post Courier guy!

I've not had a chance yet to fully explore it, but from what i've done so far, it looks brilliant, and worth the money!

I got mine today form onecraftymama too :lol: :lol: She's a fast mama! I ordered around midnight on Wednesday & i was here with today's mail! I think there were like 40 instant albums right & that's not counting all the other stuff.
Last night I was looking at their site & saw that they were shipping a 'lite' version now for $29.99. I think it's the program minus all the goodies. I'm glad I got the albums though. If I were to go out & buy that many quick albums it would certainly cost more than $69.99

picscrappinstamper
07-25-2006, 10:00 AM
From my point of view, I love it. I have been scrapbooking for about 6-7 years now. I always said I would NEVER go with digital (simply because I am not to bright when it comes to technology). But after the more I read, all the family and friends I have and running across the Memory Mixer software, I just couldnt resist to join in on all that fun to. Now I can scrapbook for them all. Its so simple and easy to use as far as drag and drop. Now I dont feel as though I am a complete techno dummy (do they make digital scrapbooking for dummies books??) and all my friends and family "think" I am a genius when it comes to this stuff LOL :) So it works for me and my hubby is really happy I dont spend as much money anymore on traditional scrapbbok supplies. :cool:

Rhoda Jayne
07-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Wow your price beat mine! I paid $69.99 plus 4something for shipping but I'm not complaining too much!! I've got it now & am happy!
As far as the lite version goes, I don't know what the difference is for sure. The description on their website is all that I've seen.
Rhoda

Laurabelle
07-25-2006, 11:01 AM
i just sent an email asking if they have a trial version available, i'll let you ladies know when i hear back.

Rhoda Jayne
07-25-2006, 11:06 AM
i just sent an email asking if they have a trial version available, i'll let you ladies know when i hear back.

They don't have one but if you're interested in a program similar to MM, try ScrapbookMax & you will get a free one month trial. I have this program too & like it very much.
scrapbookmax.com (it's one of my blinkies!)

Jezza
07-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Rhoda Jayne,
I, too have SBM!!! LOL I love both :) Thye're just so amazing with what you can do :) And I hear with SBM they have a lot of new changes, coming with a big update! :)

Laurabelle
07-25-2006, 06:40 PM
thanks i will check that out!

Rhoda Jayne
07-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Rhoda Jayne,
I, too have SBM!!! LOL I love both :) Thye're just so amazing with what you can do :) And I hear with SBM they have a lot of new changes, coming with a big update! :)

OOO, what's the big update?? I haven't made but one or two posts on their community since DST opened however, I do post my layouts that are made using their software. I need to find out what the changes are.
I wish they would change the music files so you can open more than .ogg ones. The only free ogg ones I can find are from a site with music from the 1920s! :)