PDA

View Full Version : Oscraps - tell me about it :)

lindse
07-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Can you tell me about Oscraps?
I have been lurking over there, but I just donīt get it - I need an "about Oscraps" section :)

I love the artists overthere, but is it a showroom for freebies or how??

Kathryn Balint
07-19-2006, 09:45 AM
I was over the there other day,too, and got the impression it's a place to showcase freebies from designers.

Darcy Baldwin
07-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Totally a freebie showcase, but I think they're going to add a regular store in the next week - I know a few of the girls here will be selling there (mamakimberly and Leah81).

They did start a donation button when the DannyO kit came out, but it's totally voluntary.

mamakimberly
07-19-2006, 10:31 AM
It is a place where there will be a lot of freebies in addition to a regular store.

The site will be totally revamped and facelifted and re-opened shortly! :)

:)

Anna
07-19-2006, 10:32 AM
I certainly don't have an inside track or anything but I think Vicki started OScraps a few months ago maybe just to get her designs and name out there. I know I registered back in April after seeing a post @ 2Peas (guess they let one sneak through :wink: ). Now she is selling at PDW and has added some designers to the OScraps site, but I don't know if the site will eventually sell items or if she intends to keep it as a place for new designers to display their creations and create name recognition through the use of freebies.

So I guess I don't know a nickle more than you I just used more words to say it :D

A

VickiStegall
07-19-2006, 01:19 PM
LOL! Y'all crack me up! I'm sneaking in here atm, supposed to be car shopping with the hubby!

I'll come back and answer later though I promise!!!

VickiStegall
07-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Ok, so I totally got busted by the hubby when I posted earlier - we were only running back by the house to grab something real quick, so naturally I hopped online LOL... ah well....

Anywho, I'm absolutely exhausted after spending the day going in and out of the 103 degree heat and dealing with the car folk - ick! So, I'm gonna try and keep this short and to the point...

Just sit right back and I'll tell the tale, the tale of a new digi site... ok, j/k :)

I started Oscraps in March. I couldn't figure out how to break into the design world (boy how I wish DST had been around then LOL). I had sent out a couple of feelers and got nothin' back, so, having a "geeky guru"(ehehehe Susi - that's his new title!) for a hubby and being a little tech savvy myself, I decided to start my own site.

I couldn't afford advertising, so I figured the best way to get my name out there was to offer freebies. I thought it would take a long time to get off the ground and I'd have time to get everything done that I wanted to on the site before anyone had even heard of me. Boy, was I wrong! We grew so fast, our poor little server in the closet couldn't handle the load so we made the leap and bought our own honest to goodness, dedicated server - figured that would be the best route for future growth, etc.

I also soon realized that with all the extra duties involved in running a site, I wasn't finding much time to actually design so I started approaching other people and soon had Lucrecer Braxton, Maggie Lamarre and Carolyn Bender on board. It was then that I discovered how amazing it felt to give others a 'foot in the door'! To watch the response of our members to these 'new' designers and, in turn, to see the joy it gave the designers to create and be appreciated for it... well, its awesome!

So, to make a long story even longer, yes, Oscraps has become a place for designers to showcase their freebies and for new designers to make a name for themselves!

But, of course, the reality of the situation is bandwidth isn't free and there is the cost of that fancy new server. So, we added the donation button. There is no set amount. Donating is much appreciated but absolutely not required. The donations go purely to the cost of running the site and, hopefully, someday it will actually pay for itself.

We are in the process of redesigning the site right now. Here's what we're working on atm.

We are adding a store so the designer's can be compensated a bit for their hard work and creativity and to help cover the cost of running the site.

We've added the photopost gallery system but its membership system is tied in to the store's system so we can't open that up until we have the store open. The major delay with that is me. I tend to be a bit obsessive and I was obsessed with getting our member database into the store database so our members wouldn't have to re-register. Well, I finally agreed to quit banging my head on that wall and just focus on actually getting the store ready, now I'm starting to panic though because we've had over 250 people sign up in the last couple of days and I hate the idea of them having to re-register so quickly (Leah's going to kick me for that statement LOL).

We are definately going to keep providing tons of freebies just because it feels good to give and its a good way for someone to try before they buy! Plus, we've built a reputation for providing great freebies :)

We are going to keep adding new designers (we've got some SUPER FAB designers just waiting in the wings for me to get the store ready). I want to continue to provide a place for new designers to get their name out there and get their foot in the door! We're working on a way to streamline that process.

So, our current line up of Designer's is (in no particular order):
moi: Vicki Stegall (formerly known as alyxsmom on a few forums);
Lucrecer Braxton;
Carolyn Bender (who's been away a while but still loved and not forgotten);
Maggie Lamarre;
Alix West;
Leah Riordan;
Kimberly Geswain;
Lauren Reid;
Sue Cummings;
Paislee Press - Liz (elizzylee - without whom oscraps wouldn't exist since liz is the one who encouraged me to do it!!! Thanks Liz!!! I love ya girl!) and Hannah (sunshiney - and soon to be Liz' sister-in-law!)
and I'm talking with a few others...

did I say I was going to keep this short? oh boy, do I ramble when I'm tired... I think I covered it all, but please feel free to ask if you have any other questions! I hope this is OK to post in 'Chatter' but y'all did ask ;)

mamakimberly
07-19-2006, 08:37 PM
Great post Vicki! :)

wyowomanKristin
07-19-2006, 09:23 PM
certainly understand now. cool sounding site! I am one onf the 250 i guess who registered yesterday, and IMHO, its avery minor thing to reregister again - what? 30 seconds? And i wont mind it a bit!

lindse
07-20-2006, 12:53 AM
This sound absolutely fab - I am so going to register and help keeping this site going :)

And I donīt mind register again :)

JustSandra
07-20-2006, 01:35 AM
Great post Vicki! I will stop by and check ya'll out! I had been there the other day but just glanced around but will come by for longer...

Keely~B
07-20-2006, 05:53 AM
Very cool!

Tara18
07-20-2006, 06:42 AM
thanks for taking the time to give us the full scoop on the site :)

SteinwaysMom/DebraTope
07-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I am actually glad you will add a store because I hate the thought of such a nice site going under for lack of cash. The donation thing is nice but really I have no idea of how much it costs per month to run a site like that.

I love the idea of giving new and talented designers a showcase for their work - the freebies I've seen are definitely high quality and stylin' so I think the site will build a good reputation based on the quality of that kind of work.

And PS, I don't care about having to re-register. Don't worry about it.

VickiStegall
07-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Aaaaw! Thanks y'all! I was worried I rambled too much LOL! I'm taking a computer free day tomorrow - OMG the withdrawal is starting already - because the hubby took the day off and wants to spend some time with me - aaaaaw!

I'm shooting for the middle part of next week for the store opening!!! I think I'm just gonna have to put my perfectionism aside and get'er done! otherwise, it will never be perfect and I'll never get it done... I'm rambling again.

Scrappylove
07-21-2006, 06:57 AM
OScraps use to bethe name of a scrapbooking paper line...

VickiStegall
07-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Yeah, we aren't them. :)

O'Scrap! is a traditional paper line. Which I had never heard of until recently... *sighs*

Oscraps is a completely seperate site/business with only Digital products (sure you can print them if ya want!). Similar names... what's a girl to do...

SteinwaysMom/DebraTope
07-23-2006, 08:30 PM
I'm excited about Elizzy Lee (Paisley Press) - she's got some hip fun stuff on the blog www.paisleepress.blogspot.com

Lucrecer B
09-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Vicki has done a great job of revamping oScraps and offering a wide variety of products in the shop. The designers work really hard to come up with exciting things.

Go, Vicki!!!

Jeannie
09-15-2006, 11:49 AM
I was just thinkin of Oscraps today when I used Lauren's BH kit in a layout! I was thinking I need to dash over there and pick up that bad A alpha you made, Lucrecer!!:eek

Misty Mareda
09-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Oh Lu!!!! I've missed seeing you around girl!!!! Ok.. I'm off to check the big "A" alphas.. the name alone screams "BUY ME"!!!! LOL

I love what Vicki's did over there... talented AND a sweetheart!!! ;)

Anna
09-15-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm on Vicki's team so I may be a bit biased but she has done some AWESOME stuff with OScraps in the past couple of months. New designers, great kits, some great challenges and a hoppin little gallery.....if you haven't you really should check it out!

And a link if ya need one OScraps (http://www.OScraps.com)

Lucrecer B
09-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Misty, I have been stupid busy on secret stuff, but now I have some time to get my digi on and that is exactly what I am doing.

MelissaHargrove
09-15-2006, 12:29 PM
I LOVE Oscraps! Check it out if you haven't been over there!:agree