PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you teach digi classes??

Shelly
07-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Okay, here is the deal. Last November I taught traditional classes at a big 2 day crop and this year since I have gone all digi the coordinator wants me to teach some kind of basic intro to digi scrapping class.

Here is the question...how do I do that? Is there some way to do it without everyone having to have a computer? What would be the best way to go about something like this??

lcbannon
07-19-2006, 01:53 PM
In Sept I will be teaching and Mary Rose I know will be too, however I think we will both have classes equipped with pc/laptops. But there was a thread the other day where a lady responded and she did a presentation like on a projector and then a qa period.

flowergirl_jess
07-19-2006, 01:57 PM
I teach.

The class i teach has computers. Photoshop elements is already installed. Ladies have the option to bring a LT if they want to. I also give private lessons one on one. You do need to have a facilty that will furnish computers or ladies need to bring there own LT. Its hard to teach DS with just handouts.. I know i tried!

Shelly
07-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Well, I am wondering about being able to hook my laptop to some kind of screen and just doing a basic class like that. These scrappers will be all traditional scrappers and this will really just be like an introduction to digital.

just terra
07-19-2006, 02:17 PM
i teach at a digital studio and yes - i can second what everyone else is saying - it would be a VERY tough thing to teach unless everyone had a laptop in front of them, or at the VERY least, you had your laptop hooked up to a large tv/screen output for them to SEE what you are doing and following along with a handout.

Some other ideas would be maybe showing some of your digital pages printed, showing ways to use digital software to enhance/edit your photos, ways to use digital for your journaling, that sort of thing.

an easing into digital scrapping if you will - digi scrapping lite!! only one calorie!

anyways
good luck to you!
hope you figure out a good way to make it work for you!

terra

daisyrose
07-19-2006, 02:43 PM
Have you tried contacting a local library? A lot of them have meeting rooms that you can use that have projection screens and sometimes you can borrow the equipment (our office uses a viewsonic projector that hooks up to a laptop). Also, I know some hotels offer those services sometimes too. Hmmm, maybe even a high school might let you use their equipment. just thinking out loud...

Inkspots
07-19-2006, 03:07 PM
My DH does death by Power Point. Have you thought about possibly creating a PP presentation with screen shots of Photoshop or whatever program you're using? Perhaps you could give them hand-outs from those slides with the step by step of how to do a layout.

Also, are there any restrictions in terms of using kits when doing private lessons? I've been thinking of doing this and have done so on an informal level for friends and family. Is it ok, during the process, to download a freebie kit for them and let them have that? Even if it's coming from your computer?

kari
07-19-2006, 03:39 PM
I just wanted to pop in and say that it can be done :)

For a very basic intro class, you can definitely demo the concepts of creating a digital layout without having everyone have a computer. It's good to provide a handout of the tutorial that they can take home and follow through step by step, and even a cd of good resources for learning more about digital scrapbooking. I did this for a couple months for friends that were curious and they all loved the class... so much that I now do it on a regular basis for the others that have learned about it by word of mouth.

Hope it goes well!

Dating_Revolutionist
07-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Hi Shelly, and congrats on the opportunity for teaching digital! :)

I also think it is good to have access to a computer, but if it's an introduction, I believe you can still create a valuable learning experience for your students. Bringing in printed digi LO's is great, but so is actually seeing the digi world "up close and personal." ;)

Will you have internet access? I think it would be great to do a little surfing during your class time to show the students various digital scrapbooking sites (and their galleries!). I bet as soon as those students see the gorgeous kits out there, they'll be chomping at the bit to hire you to help them 1:1!

And I can't help but do a little plug of my favorite program, PagePlus. The software company is Serif (which is UK based) and I find it to be a very easy program to work with. There is a free download on their site, Free Serif Software (http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/) and for only $9.99, you can upgrade to version 9. (The most recent version is 11. With v.9, you can create bevel effects and drop shadows, to name a few tools.)

I'm wishing you the very best. PM me if I can help in any way or if you just want to bounce some ideas around! :)

Mary Rose M.

Kasaz
07-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Hi Shelly - Congrats!
Hands on is great but you can definitely teach an intro class with your computer in a lecture style. I would recomend you have a projector so everyone in the class can follow you. I also recommend having handouts - if you have the steps and some print screens they have something to follow when they get home and something to take notes on. I also like to give a reference list of sites (software, digi sites etc). I have taught digi classes online, hands on and lecture style. Let me know if you need any other information or help.
Karla